Sign in to follow this  
TheNewGirl

Do attic fans REALLY help?

We have a fan in our attic that seems to be connected to our GFCI circuit in our house. Around this time every year, the attic fan kicks on and blows the circuit. Well, our large freezer in the garage was also on this circuit, and looks like it blew a few days ago so all of the food in the freezer is going in the trash.

Is the attic fan REALLY neccessary to cool the house? I know that it will bring down the attic temp and all of that, which in turn will kind of cool the house, but this thing must be a piece if it keeps blowing the circuit.

What do you think, geeks?

We have a fan in our attic that seems to be connected to our GFCI circuit in our house. Around this time every year, the attic fan kicks on and blows the circuit. Well, our large freezer in the garage was also on this circuit, and looks like it blew a few days ago so all of the food in the freezer is going in the trash.

Is the attic fan REALLY neccessary to cool the house? I know that it will bring down the attic temp and all of that, which in turn will kind of cool the house, but this thing must be a piece if it keeps blowing the circuit.

What do you think, geeks?

Possibly a case of too much running on one circuit. You'd need to run a dedicated line for the ceiling fan/exhaust. It is not necessary to have one, but I would leave it in. It does help a little!

I will look into getting a dedicated line. We did put one in when we got the whole house fan, so I don't think it'd be too hard to install one for the attic fan.

Thanks!

I will look into getting a dedicated line. We did put one in when we got the whole house fan, so I don't think it'd be too hard to install one for the attic fan.

Thanks!

Dedicated line=cheap.

Labor to run such=expensive!

Dedicated line=cheap.

Labor to run such=expensive!

:(

TNG, how old / new is your house?

Mine was built in 84 and I have massive problems blowing breakers.. :D

It was built in 87 or 88.

The GFCI breaker is the only one that we seem to have problems with, and it happens this time every year. I only notice when I go to use my blow drier and it doesn't work in either bathroom. The only thing that we can figure is that the fan is connected to it, since it kicks on around this time as well...and I haven't heard the fan come on today, so I am figuring that it's out too.

I didn't know that the freezer in the garage was on the same circuit. Good thing WinCo sells meat and stuff pretty cheap.

It is so friggin' expensive to rewire everything in the house! The price almost justifies the inconvenience of resetting the damn breaker all the time.

I don't have an attic fan in my house, but I am putting one in. I waste a lot of energy in the summer on AC because of the tremendous heat in the attic. I have contacted the master electrician known only as drobeski to do the electrical work. If you can't trust a Geek, who can you trust?

It was built in 87 or 88.

The GFCI breaker is the only one that we seem to have problems with, and it happens this time every year. I only notice when I go to use my blow drier and it doesn't work in either bathroom. The only thing that we can figure is that the fan is connected to it, since it kicks on around this time as well...and I haven't heard the fan come on today, so I am figuring that it's out too.

I didn't know that the freezer in the garage was on the same circuit. Good thing WinCo sells meat and stuff pretty cheap.

Please don't buy WinCo meat :(

They are the sux, IMO

Did you find a reliable company to check out your AC?

The attic fan on a dedicated line (which i'm pretty sure your freezer and refrigerator are also supposed to be on) is a good idea, As well as the attic fan itself. Good isulation in your attic?

I've always been more of a basement fan.

I'm no help at all.

Yes... not only for heat, but for moisture/humidity build-up, too.

I don't have an attic fan in my house, but I am putting one in. I waste a lot of energy in the summer on AC because of the tremendous heat in the attic. I have contacted the master electrician known only as drobeski to do the electrical work. If you can't trust a Geek, who can you trust?

speaking of which, I just emailed you. Also regarding the recessed in the bedrooms, most of the time it can be done without even going up in the the attic, provided your ceilings have strapping above the sheet rock, I cut a small hole in the tope of the wall and the ceiling and get into your ceiling that way.

I put the same peice of sheet rock I cut out right back where it came from and mud it up, you just sand it and paint it later on shabbbam, as good as new.

If you're not up for making the small holes we can lift the plywood in the attic and get to them. :(

Get rid of the GFCI.........problem solved.

Oh, and go buy some smoke detectors.

speaking of which, I just emailed you. Also regarding the recessed in the bedrooms, most of the time it can be done without even going up in the the attic, provided your ceilings have strapping above the sheet rock, I cut a small hole in the tope of the wall and the ceiling and get into your ceiling that way.

I put the same peice of sheet rock I cut out right back where it came from and mud it up, you just sand it and paint it later on shabbbam, as good as new.

If you're not up for making the small holes we can lift the plywood in the attic and get to them. :first:

:lol:

I got your message right after typing in this thread. YGM, but whatever makes the most sense is fine with me.

Yes they help.

Your attic can get to like 150 degrees easily and getting that air out will lower AC usage.

Put it on a dedicated circuit.

Good luck.