Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Syringes

I'm done with Dan Brown books

I read the "Da Vinci Code" and thought it was entertaining and a relatively fun read, despite the campiness of it as well as the often over-the-top plot developments.

Then I read "Deception Point" and saw the pattern in his writing, a paint-by-numbers story with some gee-whiz science fiction to it.

So everybody is talking about how "Angels and Demons" was his best book. Everyone has been raving about it, and I see people at the airport reading it everywhere.

So I finished it last night and found it to be the stupidest of the lot.

I guess I was fine right up to the point where the guy manages to survive a 10,000-foot airplane fall by using some little piece of tarp or something as a parachute.

:banana: :first: :banana:

These guys all get greedy after their first big NYT best seller, and just start working the formula that brought them success. I don't know that there are any writers making 'literature' any more.

I stopped in the middle of Deception Point because I knew the ending without reading it.

These guys all get greedy after their first big NYT best seller, and just start working the formula that brought them success. I don't know that there are any writers making 'literature' any more.

The last good batch of books I liked was the series on the Civil War: Killer Angels, The Last Full Measure and Gods and Generals.

I read Da Vinci Code and thought it was a really interesting story that faltered quite badly at the end. I later read Angels and Demons and thought it was an interesting story that faltered quite badly at the end. Dan Brown isn't a good writer. His dialogue is trite an uninspired, his plotting is good, but he has yet to pull it all together in any one book.

I'm amazed at how many truly bad writers can be best sellers. See Stephen King, and any female writer best seller genre writer like Nora Roberts or Danielle Steele or Sue Grafton. You can add Tom Clancy to that list for every book since Patriot Games.

Angels and Demons was better than Da Vinci Code before the ending, however deception point and digital fortress were horrible. I remember finishing deception point, and thinking "Well, I guess we're all allowed a mulligan.." Then picked up digital fortress, and it was complete diarrhea.

Angels and Demons was better than Da Vinci Code before the ending, however deception point and digital fortress were horrible. I remember finishing deception point, and thinking "Well, I guess we're all allowed a mulligan.." Then picked up digital fortress, and it was complete diarrhea.

The only consolation to this Dan Brown debacle is being able to resist any and all urges to read Digital Fartress.

I agree with the Danielle Steele comparison. I read about 10 pages into one of her books, about Vietnam or something, and tossed it in the trash.

And that's so true about Dan Brown books spiraling out of control to the end. He leads you down a dark, entertaining path, only to great you with a gang of clowns playing loud, out-of-tune mariachi music.

The carmelengo was behind the whole Illuminati thing and then finds himself caught in a Greek tragedy kind of thing before lighting himself on fire.

I wanted to throw the book into the wall.

That's because you're a stupid hick.

I've heard the DiVinci Code is awful.

If you're into historical mysteries, check out "An Instance of the Fingerpost" by Iain Pears - one of the best books I've ever read. If you haven't read "The Alienist" or "Angel of Darkness" by Caleb Carr, those are both worthwhile too. Or better yet, go right to the source and read Umberto Eco. He's like Dan Brown for people who aren't dumb.

If you want to read some good fiction with a historical twist, you might try some of Harry Turtledove's stuff. If you have an intrest in history, and always wonder "what if" then you will like it.

If you're into historical mysteries, check out "An Instance of the Fingerpost" by Iain Pears - one of the best books I've ever read. If you haven't read "The Alienist" or "Angel of Darkness" by Caleb Carr, those are both worthwhile too. Or better yet, go right to the source and read Umberto Eco. He's like Dan Brown for people who aren't dumb.

Glad to see you took me up on my suggestion about The Alienist and Angel Of Darkness. Did you ever read "Shibumi" by Trevanian?

If you want to read some good fiction with a historical twist, you might try some of Harry Turtledove's stuff. If you have an intrest in history, and always wonder "what if" then you will like it.

Yeah, I always wondered what if people went back in time and gave the south AK47s or if aliens attacked the earh during the middle of WWII. His books always reminded me of those "pick a path" books from grade school. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I always wondered what if people went back in time and gave the south AK47s or if aliens attacked the earh during the middle of WWII. His books always reminded me of those "pick a path" books from grade school. :thumbsup:

Ahem, yeah ITS FICTION. Go back to grade school and find your imagination why you are there, HTH

:banana:

speaking of books and historical path - there was a book I read somewhat recently it involved quantam leaps, the professor went back to the middle ages and his students followed him back and there was problems trying to get back - anyone know the name and or author ? I read alot but it all blends together and I never rember the author unless its king or Clancy.

WIthout Remorse being my favorite Clancy book.

speaking of books and historical path - there was a book I read somewhat recently it involved quantam leaps, the professor went back to the middle ages and his students followed him back and there was problems trying to get back - anyone know the name and or author ? I read alot but it all blends together and I never rember the author unless its king or Clancy.

WIthout Remorse being my favorite Clancy book.

Timeline by Michael Crichton. Excellent book, Crappy movie adaptation.

Agree with Without Remorse from Clancy. I think probably one of his best. (I also loved Rainbow Six, it was predictable, but I really liked it). Word on the street is that Without Remorse could be made into a movie. John Clarke could be the focus of the next few Clancy adaptation movies.

I just finished a book called The Other Boleyn Girl. It's a historical fiction novel about Henry VIII's court in the 1500s. It was an excellent book. More for your wives maybe, but it was one of those "can't put it downers" 700+ pages too.

book for your wife or gf

Yeah, one or two of his books are about all I can take.

Kinda like Robin Cook, he's a one trick pony.

Thanks, I've all of Crichton as well and suprised I didn't remember that, I was recomending it to someone and couldn't remember anything but the plot. I didn't even know they made a movie out of it. Major motion picture or made for TV ?

Thanks, I've all of Crichton as well and suprised I didn't remember that, I was recomending it to someone and couldn't remember anything but the plot. I didn't even know they made a movie out of it. Major motion picture or made for TV ?

Major motion picture. Unless you read the book, you have no idea what is going on. Richard Donner directed, so you would have thought it would have atleast been decent, but it looks like he mailed it in on this one.

I just finished a book called The Other Boleyn Girl. It's a historical fiction novel about Henry VIII's court in the 1500s. It was an excellent book. More for your wives maybe, but it was one of those "can't put it downers" 700+ pages too.

book for your wife or gf

Just what the doctor ordered. A 700-page chick book.

Agree with Without Remorse from Clancy. I think probably one of his best. (I also loved Rainbow Six, it was predictable, but I really liked it). Word on the street is that Without Remorse could be made into a movie. John Clarke could be the focus of the next few Clancy adaptation movies.

Ugh, I thought Timeline was terrible. I do agree with Without Remorse, I thought it was excellent. That would make a great movie if they got the right director/John Clarke.

I read the "Da Vinci Code" and thought it was entertaining and a relatively fun read, despite the campiness of it as well as the often over-the-top plot developments.

Then I read "Deception Point" and saw the pattern in his writing, a paint-by-numbers story with some gee-whiz science fiction to it.

So everybody is talking about how "Angels and Demons" was his best book. Everyone has been raving about it, and I see people at the airport reading it everywhere.

I guess I was fine right up to the point where the guy manages to survive a 10,000-foot airplane fall by using some little piece of tarp or something as a parachute.

;) :wacko: :wacko:

:thumbsup:

I liked Angels and Demons, but that is probably because it's the first one of his books I read. Since he uses the same outline for each book, each one gets progressively worse. Didn't stop me from masochistically reading all 4 of his books. :P

Try some Martin Amis (but not Yellow Dog). Or Paul Auster. :pointstosky:

book for your wife or gf

Have you read the Josephine Bonaparte trilogy by Sandra Guilland?

"Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe" "The Secret Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B." and another title I can't remember.

. Or better yet, go right to the source and read Umberto Eco. He's like Dan Brown for people who aren't dumb.

"Foucault's Pendulum." :lol:

:rolleyes: :wacko: :D

It's uncanny but I said the exact same thing to a friend of mine about a month ago.

It would have to be Wilhem Dafoe :D

Without Remorse was a younger version of Clarke. Dafoe did a good job playing him in Clear and Present Danger, but I think someone in their late 20s early 30s would be better for this one. Can't think of anyone of hand.

You heard correctly. Everyone kept telling me that I should read it. I tried to get into it 3 different times during the past year. On the third try, I decided to stick with it. It never did get interesting. I still can't figure out what the the hype was about.

You heard correctly. Everyone kept telling me that I should read it. I tried to get into it 3 different times during the past year. On the third try, I decided to stick with it. It never did get interesting. I still can't figure out what the the hype was about.

It's like Brokeback Mountain.

(Sometimes) People love it when something goes against a bunch of cultural norms. Also, it could be a like a homer review his team in the off-season. Objective people look at it at it and say "Meh, it was an ok signing, but they still can't compete with..." while a homer will say "If Ted Washington can be like he was 3 years ago, the Browns will stop the run!@#" People love having ammo to back their agenda, and DC helped, and was an exciting plot to boot.

I haven't read it, nor have I seen BM so this isn't a comment on the quality of the book or movie, but an observation of American culture.

People love having ammo to back their agenda, and DC helped, and was an exciting plot to boot.

I haven't read it, nor have I seen BM so this isn't a comment on the quality of the book or movie, but an observation of American culture.

Not to get too far off topic here, but I think you are exactly right. I don't know if it is just American culture, or human nature, but I think we make decisions based on emotional reasons and then try to validate or rationalize them afterwards. I think there have even been studies that show that decisions are made in the brain before the part of the brain that handles rational thought (as opposed to impulse) is even activated. A lot of the time it takes a converted effort to really look at something, evaluate it, and determine it's validity. Which is why you see people so often defending obviously wrong/lost arguments. At least that's my guess.

I think the Da Vinci Code got so big because the church had such a problem with it. I read the book long before the hype started, and thought hmm - he grabbed a bunch of stuff from Holy blood, Holy Grail, and made a bunch of 3 page chapters out of it.

The tale itself, the thought that the Holy Grail was Mary Magdalene, the Last Supper painting, etc. - he wove a number of bits of history (or blasphemy, if you believe the bible's mistelling of history over some other mistelling) into an interesting story. Not a great book, and wouldn't have gotten big if not for Opus Dei and Christianity's outcry.

I thought Angels and Demons was really good (except for the part that Rusty mentioned).

DaVinci Code was good. Not as great as some people make it out to be, but good. The religion talk was fun. The rest of it was OK.

Deception Point was extremely mediocre (at best). Very predictable and, at times, silly.

Never read the Digital Fortress.

The problem with Dan Brown is the blurb on the back of the book is way, way better than the book itself. I'll give Brown credit - he can come up with an interesting idea and you go "hmmm, sounds intriguing". But he's a focking atrocious writer. Just abysmal. Despite the terrible characterization, the unsound plotting, the banal descriptions, almost worse is he employs "artificial stupidity" - the writing wherein characters who should clearly know about a particular topic don't have a clue, merely so another character can explain it (i.e., so Brown can make sure the readers understand it). He thinks his readers are stupid.

I tried both Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons - couldn't finish either. Couldn't pay me to read another Dan Brown book.

A couple of other suggestions if you find "historical" stuff interesting - two Spanish authors.

Arturo Perez-Reverte: The Flanders Panel, Club Dumas, The Seville Communion - don't remember which else I've read, haven't read his latest couple.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon: Shadow of the Wind, great first novel (or at least first translated into English.

As many latin writers go, these are as much mystical/magical as historical. Highly recommended.

Yeah, I agree. If the first one makes you millions, scrap the whole formula and try something more risky! :first:

caleb carr :first:

the alienist is quite possibly the best historical fiction crime drama ever and really the only reason i even attempt to read anything like that any more.

i havent read da vinci yet but i plan on it before seeing the movie. i know. dont give me grief. but i do like tom hanks and admire ron howard. maybe not after that. but for the time being i do. so if they felt it was a worthwhile project, i'll try it.

It's like Brokeback Mountain.

(Sometimes) People love it when something goes against a bunch of cultural norms. Also, it could be a like a homer review his team in the off-season. Objective people look at it at it and say "Meh, it was an ok signing, but they still can't compete with..." while a homer will say "If Ted Washington can be like he was 3 years ago, the Browns will stop the run!@#" People love having ammo to back their agenda, and DC helped, and was an exciting plot to boot.

Uh...it was not an exciting plot. I thought I made that clear in my first post.

Uh...it was not an exciting plot. I thought I made that clear in my first post.

I had no interest to begin with, let alone after hearing all this critique, but the plot does sound interesting, and the movie (no clue how close it is to the book) looks really exciting.