Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Tom Osborne

i thought he was a God in Nebraska? :rolleyes:

i thought he was a God in Nebraska? :rolleyes:

He is. What are you getting at? Did he lose some election or something?

He is. What are you getting at? Did he lose some election or something?

he lost the republican primary for govenah!

he lost the republican primary for govenah!

Isn't he ancient? Wonder if that factored into it?

Isn't he ancient? Wonder if that factored into it?

he left congress to run for gubnah. Some were trying to get him to run for senate but he wanted to stay closer to home. Not sure what ultimately led to his defeat.

he left congress to run for gubnah. Some were trying to get him to run for senate but he wanted to stay closer to home. Not sure what ultimately led to his defeat.

If the election was held 6 mos. ago he would have been a shoe-in. People really like the current govenor, and Osborne was wishy-washy on the Omaha school district issue.

I was also very suprised by the results. I thought there would be enough blind husker fans to get Osborne elected. But even people in the district that Osborne represents have realized that a great football coach does not equal a great politician. Plus he is old.

If the election was held 6 mos. ago he would have been a shoe-in. People really like the current govenor, and Osborne was wishy-washy on the Omaha school district issue.

I was also very suprised by the results. I thought there would be enough blind husker fans to get Osborne elected. But even people in the district that Osborne represents have realized that a great football coach does not equal a great politician. Plus he is old.

As a good friend of Dave Heineman, I can't believe he won. He was polling ahead in the last week but I just guessed that ole' Tom was a given all this time.

i don't think it was as much an anti-Osborne vote as it was a pro-Heineman vote. He has been an excellent govenor. The farmers love him, the businesses appreciate him. The rich white folks in the suburb's voted nearly 80% for him.

Tom just really ran a horrible campaign. He gambled that he could win on non-substantive catch phrases like, "You know me", and "Vote for a man you trust". He took no sides on anything, and I mean ANYTHING. Until after Dave did. Which was just a wierd tactic. And at most apearances, he talked about steriods and the reform of the NCAA. Which no one honestly gives a fock about.

I'm power hung over today and in a little bit of shock. It has to be one of the greatest upsets in political history. Tom was polling at 80% last fall.

Guest RenoZ
Not sure what ultimately led to his defeat.

Not enough votes. HTH