Sign in to follow this  
Electric Mayhem

Why is a pregnant mother smoking/drinking etc not considered child endangerment?

They have outlawed smoking in public places because second hand smoke is harmful

They have outlawed smoking and drinking for those under 18/21

It's against the law to put your children in harms way

Why is it not illegal for a woman to put substances in her body that can endanger the health and well being of her unborn kid? As far as I know, it's just discouraged but not a crime, yet if you put your newborn in an unsafe environemt you get arrested.

Very interesting...

Good question.

If a newborn tests positive for meth, the baby is immediately taken away from the mom.

How would you test to determine if the mother smoked/drank during pregnancy? Unless the baby had signs of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, would you really know?

Not really. It's a slippery slope. The next step would be banning her from eating at McDonalds. Why don't we just lock all preggo's up and feed them fruit and water for 9 months.....

Not really. It's a slippery slope. The next step would be banning her from eating at McDonalds. Why don't we just lock all preggo's up and feed them fruit and water for 9 months.....

We probably wouldn't gain as much weight as we do now, LOL.

We probably wouldn't gain as much weight as we do now, LOL.

Speaking of which, have you trimmed down or you still got the EEE's?

The next step would be to ban them from watching American Idol, Desperate Housewives and other crappy shows that could seriously impair the child.

I know 2 women that smoked through whole pregnancy (your mother prolly did) and one of them drank on occasion and both have perfectly healthy kids (7 and 9 years old already). Not condoning it, but it isn't instant retardation if the mother does it.

I know many women who have drank a glass of wine daily in the last tri-mester of their pregnancies.

They have outlawed smoking in public places because second hand smoke is harmful

Why is it not illegal for a woman to put substances in her body that can endanger the health and well being of her unborn kid? As far as I know, it's just discouraged but not a crime, yet if you put your newborn in an unsafe environemt you get arrested.

Very interesting...

In Child Protective Laws in Jersey the child isnt actually considered a child until birth...How would you legislate or enforce not allowing soon to be mothers to drink or smoke?

I'd like to see the birthweight / health stats on babies whose mothers followed strict diet and excersise regimen vs. those that ate like crap and didn't lead healthy lifestyles.

Hell, ask anyone that breeds animals for a living how inportant diet is to the health and weight of the offspring. They are METICULOUS about what pregnant mothers eat because it effects their bottom line.

Very interesting...

I have a couple of answers to this.

First, it is not an unborn "kid", it is a fetus. I'm sure the Forced Birth crowd will get around to it sooner or later, but there is a huge difference between children and gestational develoment.

Second, your right. It is repugnant to watch. But we don't fund social services enough to stop people from consistently beating their kids, I doubt we are going to stop any of this.

Third, I was stunned to find out, in regards to smoking, that physicans actually discourage quitting smoking when pregnant in many cases. The withdrawls from nicotine are similar to heroin and would be more tramatic than the smoke itself. (Assumng they are heavy smokers) They are supposed to cut down though.

Fourth, Once they are born, there are few rules and minimal enforcement of child endangerment. Especially when it revolves around "vices" such as drinking an smoking. Otherwise, Rusty would have lost his kids years ago.

My mom smoked throughout her pregnancy with me, and on top of that, I grew up in a household with two heavy smokers, along with my biological father being a smoker.

Wonder why I am so addicted to nicotine?

My mom smoked throughout her pregnancy with me, and on top of that, I grew up in a household with two heavy smokers, along with my biological father being a smoker.

Wonder why I am so addicted to nicotine?

My parents both smoked too. I always hated it. :(

In Child Protective Laws in Jersey the child isnt actually considered a child until birth...How would you legislate or enforce not allowing soon to be mothers to drink or smoke?

No idea. I'd guess that if a woman was obviously pregnant, she wouldn't be able to buy cigs/booze? Kinda like if someone is visibly intoxicated?

I know it's not a 1:1 ratio of birth defects to unhealthy mothers, but many are concerned about the well being and especially the rights of unborn fetuses (fetus'? feti?), so I'm curious as to why it extends only to their demise and not general health.

No idea. I'd guess that if a woman was obviously pregnant, she wouldn't be able to buy cigs/booze? Kinda like if someone is visibly intoxicated?

I know it's not a 1:1 ratio of birth defects to unhealthy mothers, but many are concerned about the well being and especially the rights of unborn fetuses (fetus'? feti?), so I'm curious as to why it extends only to their demise and not general health.

You also asked about kids being in unsafe environments....Naturally thats cut and dry...Just last night I removed two kids who were staying with a mother in a condemned house but she was also pregnant and obviously I cant do anything about that until she actually has the kid....the best hope you can get with some of these people is that they use common sense or go to some kind of treatment ASAP

You also asked about kids being in unsafe environments....Naturally thats cut and dry...Just last night I removed two kids who were staying with a mother in a condemned house but she was also pregnant and obviously I cant do anything about that until she actually has the kid....the best hope you can get with some of these people is that they use common sense or go to some kind of treatment ASAP

common sense seems to have little or no place in today's society unfortunately

common sense seems to have little or no place in today's society unfortunately

Well then lets rejoice that maybe our kids will be at the top of the food chain because there is so many stupid people in the Country :banana:

Forced Birth crowd

Is this what they're calling it now?

just to be clear, I'm neither pro-choice or pro-life but more of a pro-getthefockawayfromme.

But both sides need to realize how stupid they sound sometimes.

as far as the smoking and drinking while pregnant and whatnot... I'm all for it. Others' kids will be retarded and by default my kids will already be ahead of the curve. Feel free to be as big of a fock up as you'd like. It only helps us non-fock ups get even further ahead.

Is this what they're calling it now?

just to be clear, I'm neither pro-choice or pro-life but more of a pro-getthefockawayfromme.

But both sides need to realize how stupid they sound sometimes.

as far as the smoking and drinking while pregnant and whatnot... I'm all for it. Others' kids will be retarded and by default my kids will already be ahead of the curve. Feel free to be as big of a fock up as you'd like. It only helps us non-fock ups get even further ahead.

:banana: See my last post as well.....I think Im also more pro get the fock away from me as well....Im on your bandwagon

My mom smoked during her pregnancy with me. She also drank whisky as she had contractions during the second trimester. I turned out just fine, smart, good looking, no addiction to nicotine or alcohol, a perfect specimen, if you will.

My mom smoked during her pregnancy with me. She also drank whisky as she had contractions during the second trimester. I turned out just fine, smart, good looking, no addiction to nicotine or alcohol, a perfect specimen, if you will.

but wasnt your growth stunted.... :D

My mom smoked during her pregnancy with me. She also drank whisky as she had contractions during the second trimester. I'm a midget.

fixored.

ever heard the term 'cruisin' for a bruisin'? :D

ever heard the term 'cruisin' for a bruisin'? :ninja:

Yeah I know, I'm a midget. But seriously, I'm smarter, better looking, and more successful than 90% of the people here. :D

Yeah I know, I'm a midget. But seriously, I'm shorter, dumber, and more insecure than 90% of the people here. :D

:ninja:

:ninja:

Just when things are looking bleak, Toro saves the board with the ever creative quote manip.

Proving my point, one poster at a time. :D

Yeah I know, I'm a midget. But seriously, I'm smarter, better looking, and more successful than 90% of the people here. <_<

Being in a minority never felt so good :ninja:

More the reason why people should be sterilzed at birth and have to apply later in life for the ability to have it lifted.

Too many stupid people are able to have children who don't give a sh!t about it. What mother who gives half a sh!t about her kid would smoke and drink to excesss while pregnant? It is mind boggling.

More the reason why people should be sterilzed at birth and have to apply later in life for the ability to have it lifted.

Too many stupid people are able to have children who don't give a sh!t about it. What mother who gives half a sh!t about her kid would smoke and drink to excesss while pregnant? It is mind boggling.

Most of us wouldn't be here if that were required....

Most of us wouldn't be here if that were required....

How do you know?

Also, from reading some of the posts in the forum lately, would it be a bad thing? :doublethumbsup:

I would think that if many of the folks here procreated, that would be much greater endangerment.

Yeah I know, I'm a midget. But seriously, I'm smarter, better looking, and more successful than 90% of the people here. :doublethumbsup:

Case in point.

P.S. Gutter, we have all seen your picture. We are not buying what you are selling here.

I would think that if many of the folks here procreated, that would be much greater endangerment.

Case in point.

P.S. Gutter, we have all seen your picture. We are not buying what you are selling here.

Gutter is good looking, rich and smart.. I'd do him :doublethumbsup:

Yeah I know, I'm a midget. But seriously, I'm smarter, better looking, and more successful than 90% of the people here. :doublethumbsup:

We in the 10% better than you disagree with your numbers. I think it is more in the 50% to 60% range, rather than 90%.

:cheers: See my last post as well.....I think Im also more pro get the fock away from me as well....Im on your bandwagon

I am too, I was just having some fun with the Lifers.

Don't worry guys. A necessary step to taking away any and all rights is to start small. You have to ban smoking in public places than work your way up to pregnancies. Then you can start putting the computer chips in.

Well then lets rejoice that maybe our kids will be at the top of the food chain because there is so many stupid people in the Country :cheers:

Mayhem would need a girlfriend before he could work on the kids part.