Sign in to follow this  
Electric Mayhem

I just got a letter from my Congressman re: Iraq (& other stuff)

You probably don't remember, but a while back I corresponded with my congressman Christopher Shays to see if I could donate my time in an effort to promote certain political issues. i never heard back form him, but i did just get his 'newsletter' regarding a umber of issues that he has been addressing. One of these issues is the war in Iraq: he recently took a trip there (he does so every 4 months) to assess the situation and report. Here is what he had to say on teh matter:

My Recent Trip to Iraq, Jordan, United Arab Emirates and Israel

I recently returned from a fact-finding trip to Iraq, Jordan, United Arab Emirates and Israel. I go to Iraq every three to four months to gauge its progress, or lack thereof, and to make assessments based on my personal interactions with both American and Iraqi military and political leaders in theater. What follows is a letter I sent to officials in the White House, Departments of Defense and State and other government agencies.

Our Congressional Delegation recently returned from a fact-finding trip to Baghdad, Ramadi and other Middle Eastern cities. The purpose of my twelfth trip was to continue oversight assessing political and governmental developments, training and equipping of Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) and Iraq reconstruction. As with my earlier trips, this letter provides my observations and recommendations.

Despite setbacks-such as the length of time it took Iraqis to select a prime minister and the ongoing violence, including the bombing of the Al-Askari mosque in Samarra, I am hopeful about the future of Iraq. There are clear signs democracy is taking hold, sectarian violence is being contained and Iraqi military, border patrol and police are assuming more and more of the daily security responsibilities.

Observation: The Sunni and Kurd rejection of the Shia prime minister candidate (Dr. Ibrahim al-Jaafari) and the eventual acceptance of a new Shia candidate (PM Designate Nouri al-Maliki) is an encouraging sign democracy is beginning to work, that majority rule cannot run over minority rights. While this accomplishment alone will not stop the violence, it builds a bridge between Iraqi factions. The Iraqis are beginning to learn that, while the majority rules, the minorities have rights.

Recommendation: It is essential we not give the impression Iraq can form a government overnight. Americans should understand Iraqis are not only selecting ministers to run their government, they are also negotiating peace among themselves. At the same time we should explain to Iraqi politicians they do not have the luxury to negotiate endlessly. Cabinet ministers must be selected this month so a government begins to function in earnest.

Additionally, I support the recommendation of the Comptroller General of the United States that the Iraqis need more capacity-building assistance of a civilian nature, and that the assistance needs to come not just from the United States but also from others in the international community, particularly Western Europe.

Observation: The Iraqi Security Forces, including the police, border patrol and military, are continuing to expand, improve and replace Coalition Forces. They will eventually become a formidable force. However, for the foreseeable future, they will continue to need logistical support including resupply of food and fuels, medical services and air support. Additionally, a Coalition Force presence will be necessary to defend the country against external threats.

Recommendation: The American public should be better informed of the progress being made developing Iraqi forces. At the same time we should explain why Coalition Forces will remain in Iraq for the foreseeable future - to ensure this young representative government is not toppled from within and is protected from external threats. American citizens need to know continued funding to improve and sustain Iraq is essential.

Observation: Provincial Reconstruction Teams (PRT) are designed to transfer diplomats, military personnel and aid workers out of Baghdad and place them in provinces working with Iraqis. They assist the regional governments by promoting the rule of law and supporting economic development. The teams are now staffed primarily by personnel from the Departments of State and Defense and the US Agency for International Development. Four teams have been established, and several additional teams are being formed. Staffing and funding these teams has become problematic.

Recommendation: We should expand the staffing effort for these teams by assigning personnel from other agencies such as the Departments of Justice, Agriculture and Transportation, and seek participation from the international community. Additional funding is also necessary to increase the number of teams.

Observation: While in the Middle East the Congressional Delegation also traveled to the United Arab Emirates, Jordan and Israel. Leaders in these countries provided us with one overriding message-we must not fail in Iraq, the United States should not withdraw from Iraq prematurely.

Recommendation: I am convinced premature withdrawal will guarantee failure. We should replace our withdrawal mindset with the recognition of what our military, diplomats and others have accomplished, as well as the sacrifices made by the people of Iraq to grasp hold of democracy and live a better life. Recognizing what we have accomplished will help sustain us through this difficult effort.

Observation: It was also pointed out to the Congressional Delegation, while in the United Arab Emirates, Jordan and Israel, that Iran has a vested interest in a weak but centralized Iraqi government. Iran does not want Iraq divided because it is concerned about a separate Kurdish state, and believes some Shia Arabs within Iran would want to join a Shia state in Iraq.

Recommendation: This insight by Middle Eastern leaders should help us understand Iranian motivates and should be factored into our deliberations and future planning.

Read the transcript from C-SPAN's Washington Journal discussing my recent trip

Observe all copyright laws when posting copyrighted material. If the material does not belong to you, do not post (cut & paste) the full article/text on the FF Today Board or FF Today Forums without permission. Post only the introductory paragraph then credit the source/author and link to the article. Posting articles from other sources in their entirety is a violation of our Posting Guidelines. If you do so, your thread and account will be deleted.

TIA

Observe all copyright laws when posting copyrighted material. If the material does not belong to you, do not post (cut & paste) the full article/text on the FF Today Board or FF Today Forums without permission. Post only the introductory paragraph then credit the source/author and link to the article. Posting articles from other sources in their entirety is a violation of our Posting Guidelines. If you do so, your thread and account will be deleted.

TIA

there is no link to it - it;s an e-mail. I did credit it. Not sure what you are after here...

I think it's great that he goes over there that often, and I'k also glad to hear that he sees progress, but that little letter in bold tells me pretty much all I need to know about his opinion even before I read the email.

Representative Christopher Shays (R - CT).

:shocking:

Sounds encouraging same thing I have been saying. We are making progress, but there is a lot of work to do.

Libs are probably going to hate this.

there is no link to it - it;s an e-mail. I did credit it. Not sure what you are after here...

don't bother with him, he had 1500 posts of lurking after me and posting that same rule...

I think it's great that he goes over there that often, and I'k also glad to hear that he sees progress, but that little letter in bold tells me pretty much all I need to know about his opinion even before I read the email.

Representative Christopher Shays (R - CT).

:thumbsup:

I really, really thikn he is my kind of politician - not really pro-Rep or pro-Dem, just pro US citizen, pro future.

There was a long question and answer attachemtn that I left out, but here is a clip from it:

Thank you for your call. We’ll move on the Agawam, Mass. Go ahead.

Hello Congressman. I’m just 7 miles over the border from CT. I’m a Democrat. You personally, as one of our Congressmen – my feeling is you care more about your country than you care about your party or my party and I want to thank you for that.

and regarding another question about re-election:

Well, I’m in a race targeted by Nancy Pelosi. She’s convinced people I represent a democratic district like Connie Morella. I don’t represent a Democrat District. I don’t represent a Republican District. It’s the best kind of District you can represent. It’s neither Republican nor Democrat; in fact we have more unaffiliated voters than Republicans or Democrats. And you know, a caller was saying thank you for not being a partisan politician – you are shaped by your District. My district isn’t partisan. I could never be partisan. You know, they want me to be an American first, and a Republican or Democrat second. But you know being a targeted race means you have lots of money thrown in. We’ve had at least 15 computer calls against us by organizations working in tandem working in tandem with Nancy Pelosi and the Democratic Party. You know those are the advantages my opponent would have. I have the advantage that I get to do my job.

I dunno - maybe he's just another ploitician blowing smoke, but at least his actions are backing up his words.