Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

A/C geeks

I have a recurring problem with the pump that pumps the drip water out of one of my air conditioner. I've replaced the focker twice in 3 years, and it works for a while, but again the A/C shut off and I find an overflowing pan and pump no worky.

Please try to mix in an occasional reall answer with the Angus Young and "pump problem" jokes.

TIA

Uhh..home or car?

Home. Pump sits under the air handler. Why do these fockers keep dying? I've got a second unit with the same setup, never a problem. :cheers:

Window unit or central? Only time my central's pump failed is when it froze because some jackhole (My Brother) set the T-stat way to low. Came home to 3 inches of water in the basement. Other than that it sounds pretty obvious. Bad pump. :cheers:

Home. Pump sits under the air handler. Why do these fockers keep dying? I've got a second unit with the same setup, never a problem. :cheers:

If was car related I could probably help you..Home A/C is one of the only things (besides carpet) that I call a pro for..Sorry :banana:

Window unit or central? Only time my central's pump failed is when it froze because some jackhole (My Brother) set the T-stat way to low. Came home to 3 inches of water in the basement. Other than that it sounds pretty obvious. Bad pump. :banana:

Central. T-stat is not low, we rarely go below 78 here in Phoenix (or else I'd need a second mortgage for my electric bill). Like I said, other side works fine. Wondering if there can be something in the wiring causing a power surge to this one. It sits there making a gurgling sound like it is doing something, but the water never goes out. The water actually pumps up to the roof, I wonder if it has to go too high...

Did you check the drain line when you replaced the pump? It could be a blockage causing the pump to burn up. When you install the new one, make sure the line flows free and then make sure the pump can move the condensate all the way up and out (ie have someone on the roof to check). You can just pour a cup of water in the pan to force the pump to kick on.

I think Big nailed it, overworking pump due to restricted drain line or trying to pump up to high over time burning somthing out. Bonus points for using "condensate" :first: Mine pumps out to my lawn, but a roof drain sounds like it could get blocked easier.