Sign in to follow this  
Franknbeans

Westbrook to get more carries

-- Reid to Give Westbrook More Carries --

Tue May 16, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports last year's 6-10 record apparently was a jarring reminder to Eagles HC Andy Reid that there is no sin in occasionally handing the football to a running back. "Last year, I will be honest with you, the numbers got a little skewed toward the pass, and we need to get back to what we have done here before - and that is balance it up a little bit more," Reid said yesterday after the Eagles closed their minicamp with a brief morning workout at the NovaCare Complex. "We need to give the running game an opportunity to work in there with the pass game." It should come as no surprise that this is welcome news to RB Brian Westbrook. "We've talked briefly about it," Westbrook said. "I think he wants to use me a little bit more than he did last year. With the departure of T.O., hopefully, we'll run the ball. All the running backs have their fingers crossed about us running the ball a little more. I want to be a more important part of the offense this year. Reid plans to oblige Westbrook's desire for a heavier workload this season. Wants to give him more touches out of the backfield. Wants to run him more inside than he has in the past. That's his spring story and he's sticking to it, at least until the Sept. 10 season opener against Houston. "He's the lead dog," Reid said a few weeks back. "He's going to get the ball. [in the] running game. [in the] passing game."

yeah,

like that's not the exact same song and dance Reid had at every press conference after a loss last year... "We've got to run the ball more", "We've got to be more committed to the run", blah, blah, blah...

There was nothing more aggravating than watching the birds with a good lead in the 3rd (at least 10 pts), going into the 4th and going 3-and-out by passing the ball and not burning any clock time. It's one thing to be passing the ball when you're down and need to score quick, but that's ALL Reid EVER wanted to do last year - even AFTER McNabb went out for the year...

It sounds good in theory to give Westbrook more carries now but will that hold up when the regular season begins? We shall see.

The last carry will be Westbrook on a stretcher. He has proven that cannot be an every down back. Reid's statement is pure fantasy.

The last carry will be Westbrook on a stretcher. He has proven that cannot be an every down back. Reid's statement is pure fantasy.

Hey dummy, Westbrook's not gonna be the only one getting carries. Ryan Moats will also be counted on to carry the ball. After that, it's a crap shoot. The third running back situation should get straightened out by the middle of training camp (Buckhalter, Perry, or veteran FA acquisition).

I'd rather see a veteran RB come into the fray, someone like Stephen Davis, who can give you 5-10 second half carries a game.

The last carry will be Westbrook on a stretcher. He has proven that cannot be an every down back.

When did he prove that?

When did he prove that?

When he was only able to play a maximum of 12 games a year, and average about 10 carries a game. A logical person would arrive at the fact that MORE carries would most likely result in even less than 12 games a year.

Eagles fans arguing with me, when it's Reid that doesn't seem to get it.

When he was only able to play a maximum of 12 games a year, and average about 10 carries a game. A logical person would arrive at the fact that MORE carries would most likely result in even less than 12 games a year.

Eagles fans arguing with me, when it's Reid that doesn't seem to get it.

we'll ignore his rookie season since he was not the feature back, but here are his stats from the last 3 seasons:

2003 - 15 games, 117 carries, 603 yds, 7 tds, 37 rec, 332 yds, 4 tds

2004 - 13 games, 177 carries, 812 yds, 3 tds, 73 rec, 703 yds, 6 tds.

2005 - 12 games, 156 carries, 617 yds, 3 tds, 61 rec, 616 yds, 4 tds.

ok, max 12 games? um, NO. minimum 12 games... so you are incorrect there...

10 carry/game avg? - 11.25. so you were close, but add in the 4.28 rec. and you get 15 touches a game.

and about 8 tds avg / season

certainly he is not a primary, every down back. But no one ever said he was going to be.

Will he get more touches? we'd certainly hope so as he should easily pass the 1400 total yd mark if he does.

Will Reid use a "big back" w/ him for goal line, short yardage, and pounding it out? that's what he says all the time, but it never happens...

Westbrook is NOT the problem w/ the Eagles running game. He is an excellent receiver out of the backfield, and can break a long run at any given moment - but he does NOT run up the inside, he bounces everything outside...

The problem w/ the Eagles running game is that Reid ignores it for about 80% of the game.

They're gonna have to whether some think it's fantasy or not. Their predominance to running the ball meant that opposing teams could spy on McNabb or Westbrook when he passed the line of scrimmage. This severly limited their offense even more.

Westy = 15 carries and 5 - 8 receptions a game ! :rolleyes: He is a top 12 pick in PPR leagues. In othe rleagues maybe a mid second.

Reid hates to run the ball.

And why would Reid overwork a guy with injury risk written all over him.

Who is their backup again? Whoever it is, I am sure he just got hurt.

Someone actually said the name, "Stephen Davis". Ha! I'm a Panther fan and even I think that is a riot!!!

He ran 1 yard then, got touched , and fell down.

Westy = 15 carries and 5 - 8 receptions a game ! :rolleyes: He is a top 12 pick in PPR leagues. In othe rleagues maybe a mid second.

Yep, all the way until December, when he shuts it down again. He is the Eagles biggest weapon, 12-15 touches is what he should get to stay healthy. He is no top 12 pick in any league, barely a 2nd rounder in others.

Someone actually said the name, "Stephen Davis". Ha! I'm a Panther fan and even I think that is a riot!!!

He ran 1 yard then, got touched , and fell down.

and ended up with 12 TD's :shocking:

Eagles need a guy like him that gives the option of pounding out the 3rd and 2's, rather than dumping a sh!tty screen and giving the ball away. Westbrook, I love the guy, but that ain't him. He is a great receiving back, and a great athlete. Unfortunately I don't think anyone can rely on Buckhalter to stay healthy, and Moats is still up in the air. IMHO I just think Davis would be a tremendous addition to our team.

Yep, all the way until December, when he shuts it down again. He is the Eagles biggest weapon, 12-15 touches is what he should get to stay healthy. He is no top 12 pick in any league, barely a 2nd rounder in others.

last year, in just 12 games, in my NON-PPR league, he was the 17th overall scoring RB.

Add in the PPR, and he jumps up close to 5 spots.

in 2004, in just 15 games, in the same NON-PPR league, he was the 10th overall scoring RB.

now, translate the extra 70+ receptions in that year, and he bumps up 3 spots in a PPR league to 7th overall... AND THAT'S JUST 15 GAMES!!

So you are trying to say that a guy that is basically a lock to be in the top 15, more likely top 10, and possibility of top 5 overall RBs is "barely a 2nd rounder"?? That's got to be the dumbest FF-related comment i've ever read.

:shocking:

ps. the PHI offense last year was HORRIBLE, and in the 12 games Westy played he still performed well...

last year, in just 12 games, in my NON-PPR league, he was the 17th overall scoring RB.

Add in the PPR, and he jumps up close to 5 spots.

in 2004, in just 15 games, in the same NON-PPR league, he was the 10th overall scoring RB.

now, translate the extra 70+ receptions in that year, and he bumps up 3 spots in a PPR league to 7th overall... AND THAT'S JUST 15 GAMES!!

So you are trying to say that a guy that is basically a lock to be in the top 15, more likely top 10, and possibility of top 5 overall RBs is "barely a 2nd rounder"?? That's got to be the dumbest FF-related comment i've ever read.

:clap:

Nice hyperbole.

"Possibility" of top 5? How come no list on this site ever lists him in the top 10. He's not even a tweener. For your sake I'll use 2004 numbers as a basis.

In my league for 2004 adjusted for PPR he was 23rd overall scorer.

In my league using his 2004 numbers for 2005 he was 23rd overall.

Take away PPR and it's not even worth discussing.

That's not bad if you simply throw out last year, and realize that he would have sat for you during the playoffs 2 years running. Too risky for my taste, especially for a guy who would be your #1 RB.

Remember this whole thread is based on Reid giving him more carries. I believe Westbrook can accomplish just as much by getting fewer touches a game and playing a whole season.

Nice hyperbole.

"Possibility" of top 5? How come no list on this site ever lists him in the top 10. He's not even a tweener. For your sake I'll use 2004 numbers as a basis.

In my league for 2004 adjusted for PPR he was 23rd overall scorer.

In my league using his 2004 numbers for 2005 he was 23rd overall.

Take away PPR and it's not even worth discussing.

That's not bad if you simply throw out last year, and realize that he would have sat for you during the playoffs 2 years running. Too risky for my taste, especially for a guy who would be your #1 RB.

Remember this whole thread is based on Reid giving him more carries. I believe Westbrook can accomplish just as much by getting fewer touches a game and playing a whole season.

Firstly, 23rd overall scorer is pretty dang good in and of itself. But then you wake up, and realize, hey that's OVERALL scorer... What position was he as far as RBs go?

Cause i'm certain there's more than 1 QB ahead of him in that list, and how many QBs go in the 1st or 2nd round that weren't name Peyton??

Then tell me how many WRs were in that list of 22 ahead of him that were actually drafted in the first 2 rounds of your draft.

In the first 24 picks, it's pretty standard that at least 17 or 18 of those guys are RBs, and you're telling me that Westy "barely" fits into the top 18 RBs in your draft order??

Since you think he isn't worth even a 2nd round pick, i'd love to see your top 24 list to see who you want to draft ahead of him...

and fyi, his ADP is floating around 1.12 right now w/ a low of 2.03...

and fyi, his ADP is floating around 1.12 right now w/ a low of 2.03...

What? 7 whole drafts?

Try last years. He averaged 25 at Rtsports, 24 at Myfantasyleague. That was after more than 2500 drafts. Did he improve 12 spots somehow, I doubt it.

What? 7 whole drafts?

Try last years. He averaged 25 at Rtsports, 24 at Myfantasyleague. That was after more than 2500 drafts. Did he improve 12 spots somehow, I doubt it.

myfantasyleague.com had JJ Arrington going first overall in at least one draft and w/ and ADP of 54...

it also had Mike Anderson going 1st overall in at least 1 draft (ADP of 72), Barlow going 1st in one (ADP of 77), and a whole bunch of other stupid stuff.

oh, here's the best one - Shaun Alexander's Max Pick was 214!! THAT'S A CREDIBLE SOURCE

that's like taking Yahoo's ADP...

still, where is your top 24 picks... I want to see who you're taking ahead of him... put it on paper (or on screen as the case may be).

this site had him ranked as the 8th overall RB last year preseason...

cbs currently has him ranked at 11 for RBs.

If this is true, Im going to draft Moats. Westbrook will get injured if he takes a pounding.

If this is true, Im going to draft Moats. Westbrook will get injured if he takes a pounding.

:lol: