Sign in to follow this  
football_scooter

On the Clock!

Pick 2.03, on the clock!  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you take?

• Carnell Williams
    • Steve Smith

really the only "consistant" big wrs the last few years by your criteria are randy and TO. and chad for two years (and smith has had 2 big years if you put the year before his injured year and last year together). name me another big wr that has been a stud or at least close to it for consecutive years...you're choosing from a rediculously small sample to prove a point. guys like roy williams, andre johnson, ashlie lelie, jerry porter have been expected to do big things the last few years and haven't produced to their expectations.

there have been tons of big wrs that have been up and down while guys like harrison, holt, chambers, djax, derrick mason who are all 6 feet and under have been pretty consistant.

i don't think smith will equal what he did last year, i don't think anyone in the NFL will. but to say he will be up and down just because of his height?...i don't really agree with that.

Smith had a good year in 03 but not a big year, if I remember correct he only scored 7 times...maybe I am using a small sample but my point is that not one guy that you have named has ever been thought to be the first Wr off the board....Owens, Chad, and Moss would still be above Smith for me.

Im just saying that those guys appear to have a more difficult time repeating that success the very next year and I would feel better in a re-draft about taking Owens than Smith, and in any form of keeper I would certainly take Fitz before Smith

I agree with this. I said Caddy, no question, because of the same reasons. I just dont believe that Smith will duplicate the same numbers. I think he'll have a good season, but not great.

Alstott did not do too well on the goalline last year. I mean, he may have had about 6 TDs, but I think Caddy stays healthy this season, and those TDs turn to him. I think TB has upgraded their OLine as well, which will help Caddy out. Just my opinions.

Morons who post only to slam topics that they're too stupid to participate in :thumbsdown:

These are exactly the kinds of choices we all face in real FFB drafts every year. Learn to read and you might even learn something from them.

:thumbsdown: people that call posters who choose to give an negative opinion on whether a thread is worth discussing morons and stupid :thumbsdown:

Morons who post only to slam topics that they're too stupid to participate in :thumbsdown:

These are exactly the kinds of choices we all face in real FFB drafts every year. Learn to read and you might even learn something from them.

Careful scoot, you don't want the mods raining down on you for name calling ;)

:ninja:

:thumbsdown: people that call posters who choose to give an negative opinion on whether a thread is worth discussing morons and stupid :thumbsdown:

that's what these threads are specifically for... read the pinned On The Clock post... then you'll see why scooters posting these types of comparisons.

this is a very good matchup, scooter.

i like it a lot because i wanted to see how true the man-love for ssmith really is compared to a stud/semi-stud hb. ssmith has been the hottest thing going around on this board the past few weeks, even too much for a wr lover like me. i also know the corps of the board are steadfast hb lovers. this is a great test of whether owners want style or substance.

even i picked cadillac in this one. im impressed; the vote ratio is not as even as id suspect with all the "ssmith is the top wr/ top3 lock" headlines. just goes to show: you can stare and gawk at the hot girl, but you usually end up going home with the one you brought with you.

this is a very good matchup, scooter.

i like it a lot because i wanted to see how true the man-love for ssmith really is compared to a stud/semi-stud hb. ssmith has been the hottest thing going around on this board the past few weeks, even too much for a wr lover like me. i also know the corps of the board are steadfast hb lovers. this is a great test of whether owners want style or substance.

even i picked cadillac in this one. im impressed; the vote ratio is not as even as id suspect with all the "ssmith is the top wr/ top3 lock" headlines. just goes to show: you can stare and gawk at the hot girl, but you usually end up going home with the one you brought with you.

:thumbsdown:

Careful scoot, you don't want the mods raining down on you for name calling :thumbsdown:

Yeah, you're right. It's just so annoying. I mean, ok - he doesn't like the topic subject - how difficult is it to simply not post rather than post something negative in the middle of a great discussion?

And the reason he doesn't like it is because we're comparing players of different positions...which never happens when you're on the clock in a real draft, eh? :banana:

I would take Smith here. I am not 100% sold on Cadillac yet. I think you take the number 1 or 2 reciever in football this year. You can grab a back in round 3 and 4 and they will be OK. I think you might hit on one of them. What about T.Bell and Dayne?

this is a tough question with me, but i think u have to go caddy here, because you wont have great options next time around for rbs when you can grab a decent number 1 wr on the next pick.

this is a tough question with me, but i think u have to go caddy here, because you wont have great options next time around for rbs when you can grab a decent number 1 wr on the next pick.

:P

- how difficult is it to simply not post rather than post something negative in the middle of a great discussion?

And the reason he doesn't like it is because we're comparing players of different positions...which never happens when you're on the clock in a real draft, eh? :banana:

Apparently, it's equally as difficult for you to refrain from commenting on it. It's simple, Scoot....don't respond...stay on topic.

Your matchups have been solid so far. Just don't respond to negative stuff. You calling out somebody for not having the self-control to refrain from posting will have lots more validity if you too show restraint.

:banana:

Yeah, you're right. It's just so annoying. I mean, ok - he doesn't like the topic subject - how difficult is it to simply not post rather than post something negative in the middle of a great discussion?

you rule scooter ! Just one question, how are you able to suggest that not posting a negative opinion is better after you went ahead with yours calling me stupid and a moron ?

BTW Good luck everyone who chose Steve Smith finding a decent RB2 at pick 3.10 in a twelve team league! :cheers:

BTW Good luck everyone who chose Steve Smith finding a decent RB2 at pick 3.10 in a twelve team league! :shocking:

I'll bet one of the RBs I take in rounds 3,4,7,8, etc. will out-produce Caddy this year.

I really think this is the year to go with something like RB, WR, RB, RB, WR, QB, RB... And, I'm normally a sworn RB, RB guy.

There's going to be some gem RBs come out of the 3rd-7th. More than the usual couple.

Anyway, no way to know now...

In all honesty...this one isn't even close in my mind. Steve Smith in a heartbeat. Too many questions surrounding Caddy with his injury history and the fact Alstott is still on the roster to get goal line TD's. If I knew for a fact that Caddy was getting goal line carries then it would be a tight call.....but that's not the case.

I think a guy like Chester Taylor will match and probably surpass the numbers of Caddy this year....but it's a gamble Taylor makes it back in the 3rd round. Either way....Steve Smith is just too good to pass up if Williams is the best RB left on the board at this point.

Apparently, it's equally as difficult for you to refrain from commenting on it. It's simple, Scoot....don't respond...stay on topic.

Your matchups have been solid so far. Just don't respond to negative stuff. You calling out somebody for not having the self-control to refrain from posting will have lots more validity if you too show restraint.

Wow - you call me out for reacting to a flaming jackazz and he sits there ripping on me still while you've said NOTHING to him.

And you expect me to not say anything.

One of us is contributing to this community and the other is doing his best to trash it, and the guy putting in the positive effort gets scolded. That ain't right. :shocking:

I personally think the dropoff from Caddy to the RB you'd get in the 3rd round is worse than Steve Smith to the WR in the 3rd round.

I'd go with Caddy.

:shocking:

Take SS.

Caddy will lose too many TDs to Alstott/Pittman. And I'm not sure how healthy he can stay. Next year, Caddy will be huge. But in a redraft, with Alstott, I take SS.

you rule scooter ! Just one question, how are you able to suggest that not posting a negative opinion is better after you went ahead with yours calling me stupid and a moron ?

BTW Good luck everyone who chose Steve Smith finding a decent RB2 at pick 3.10 in a twelve team league! :pointstosky:

krokus....if you choose to use a thread designed for fantasy football discussion and turn it into something antagonistic, there could be consequences for that course of action. Just making you aware.......

Wow - you call me out for reacting to a flaming jackazz and he sits there ripping on me still while you've said NOTHING to him.

And you expect me to not say anything.

One of us is contributing to this community and the other is doing his best to trash it, and the guy putting in the positive effort gets scolded. That ain't right. :ninja:

You're overreacting big time.

This was his post: RB vs. WR matchups :pointstosky:

Not productive, of course, but not personally directed at you.....just unnecessary to the overall discussion. He didn't call you out or even personally refer to you. You should have left it alone. Instead, you responded to it unnecessarily and called him stupid and a moron in your post. You made it personal, not him. Then, he did respond afterwards with a personal jab...something I warned him about in the post above.

You are being held to a higher standard, scoot..... that's because you're trying to get a feature started that could run for some time. You should have ignored the post. Many of your threads turn into flame wars for the simple reason that you can't ignore other people's fish-hooks. I have always been up front with you about this and I shared with you that you would be held to a high standard of civility when this feature started.

If someone attacks you personally, it will be dealt with. This situation hardly met that criteria initially and it should have been left alone.

Not productive, of course, but not personally directed at you.....just unnecessary to the overall discussion.

Right...and it was the 3rd or 4th time this has happened, and I was a little sick of it. It completely tanked one topic (the Jay Cutler one) and I was a little tired of no one moderating it.

Did it attack ME? No - did it make it hard to keep a discussion flowing? Heck yeah. Was it rude - that too. I didn't want to see this topic go the way of the Cutler Vs Moss topic. Sorry.

You are being held to a higher standard, scoot.....

You could tell a guy when he's being held to a higher standard you know. :banana: Anyway, you called out him too, so thanks for keeping it fair & balanced.

:doublethumbsup:

Right...and it was the 3rd or 4th time this has happened, and I was a little sick of it. It completely tanked one topic (the Jay Cutler one) and I was a little tired of no one moderating it.

Did it attack ME? No - did it make it hard to keep a discussion flowing? Heck yeah. Was it rude - that too. I didn't want to see this topic go the way of the Cutler Vs Moss topic. Sorry.

You could tell a guy when he's being held to a higher standard you know. :ninja: Anyway, you called out him too, so thanks for keeping it fair & balanced.

:cheers:

I did not see the others....but it's on my radar screen now and I will look for it. You must remember that I'm just a regular member like yourself and I don't live on the board...at all. I can only moderate what I see and I did not see the other stuff.

I would disagree, however, that it made it "hard to keep the discussion flowing". Everyone else totally ignored it. Your threads have been something of a hit. No one else even responded to the post....they were too busy discussing the topic at hand. The discussion was totally unaffected by this guy's comment. Only you chose to respond to it....no one else.

Of course, it's fair & balanced....I don't have any personal agenda against you or anyone else. I'm not above getting ticked off at someone or whatever, but that scenario is rare...it's only happened twice to my knowledge. I just try to keep the Board being what Mike intended for it to be.....when I'm around that is...... :)

Another great debate fizzles into useless verbal jarring.

I voted Smith, and in 12 years I've only once drafted a WR before the 3rd. This choice is based more on my doubts about Caddy as my praise for Smith. (I feel the top 5 WR's are all about = and hence would not want to be the first to take one.)

There would have to be better RB's available than Caddy.

Lets jump in the way back machine and look at Gruden's history of RB's.

One name keeps coming to mind, Charlie Garner.....

Tons of yards, but not so great on the TD's. My league is pretty TD dominant (1 point/25 yards) so this is key to me. I see Caddy as a great fit for this Grudenesque role. Great for point per receptions and yardage leagues. Not so great for me in the early 2nd.

In a PPR league, I'm taking Steve Smith. I think Smith's # of recs. and Caddy's heretofore failure to catch a cold, would persuade me to grab Smith. I'm a Caddy owmer in a PPR league and until they start throwing to him more and not Pittman, I can't rate him as high as some mocks suggest. Gruden talked about getting him more involved in the passing game and it never came to light.

OK, this is a terrific discussion, and you are all free to continue to :thumbsdown: but I am calling it:

Caddy (38) takes it by a small margin over SSMith (25)

It's been a bit after you ended the voting, but I think some of us have had some time to mull it over and the vote now stands at 47 for Caddy and 40 for SSmith. This makes it even more interesting, IMO. Good debate.

It's been a bit after you ended the voting, but I think some of us have had some time to mull it over and the vote now stands at 47 for Caddy and 40 for SSmith. This makes it even more interesting, IMO. Good debate.

Yeah - I just noticed that.

People are starting to come to their senses...

In a couple more days Smith should be in the lead, like he should be. :lol: :lol:

Generally when a bigger WR blows up it seems to me that they continue that pace....IE Owens, Moss, Carter in the past...unless they do something that triggers the downfall (Boston)

I dont trust the smurf WR to be consistent from year to year because they are generally not used as RZ targets and the WR screen or deep balls that they blew up on the scene with are defended better the following year...

Harrison is a different animal altogether and has made a living out of precise route running and finding the open areas....however the guy rarely breaks tackles and falls after the catch more than to my taste. Mason is similar but only one year was he anything more than a solid 2 or 3.....Ward doesnt come off to me as a small player....maybe its because he plays so physical and tough

All due respect Force, but you're picking and choosing what you 'prefer':

'I like big wr to continue to blow up, except for a Boston'

'Ward doesn't come off as small, b/c he's physical'

Ward's a smallish wr, you can't discount him b/c he plays tough.

Same with Harrison...yes, he's an exceptional b/c of his route running. But Moss is exceptional b/c of his speed, body control...but you don't take him out of the equation.

(Also find it funny that you want 'consistent' guys but you list Fitz as a guy you'd take over Smith even though he's only done it one year)

As for RZ targets, I don't know numbers off hand but I remember Ward getting LOTS of RZ looks (Steve Smith too) the past couple years...quite a few during years there was a 'big' wr in Burress on the field at same time.

Why? B/c he was the BEST WR on the field...much like Owens/Moss were on their respective teams.

It has nothing to do with them being 'big' wr...just the BEST recieving option on their teams.

BTW Good luck everyone who chose Steve Smith finding a decent RB2 at pick 3.10 in a twelve team league! :thumbsup:

Yeah, like L.Johnson, TJones, MAnderson, WDunn, WParker...amongst top15 rbs last year (finishing 1,9,10,12,13 respectively) who went drafted in most all leagues late 3rd rnd+ :(

krokus....if you choose to use a thread designed for fantasy football discussion and turn it into something antagonistic, there could be consequences for that course of action. Just making you aware.......

I'm aware this board is awesome ! I love being called stupid, a moron, and a flaming jackazz then be threatened by mods ! Thanks everyone its been grand! :banana:

Very tough call here...

I am a big advocate of RB-RB the first two picks but I'm not so sure I would take Caddy here. I actually voted for Smith just because he is a game-breaker that is highly explosive, but most importantly this is based on starting 3 WR's. Should this have been a 2 WR league, I most likely take Caddy here.