Sign in to follow this  
ADD1CT36

so what does memorial day mean to you?

I helps me remember that France, Poland, and the rest of Europe are a bunch of focking poosays and would all be German if it wasn't for us.

it's a reminder as to how blessed i am to have people who were willing to die for my freedom.

I helps me remember that France, Poland, and the rest of Europe are a bunch of focking poosays and would all be German if it wasn't for us.

But Poland is a part of the Coalition of the Willing :rolleyes:

to me its just another day. I guess it's a day to dedicate to remember the dead, but the dead are in my memories every day. It's a day I don't have to work and will likely head down to the national cemetary to see my grandpa's headstone, maybe put some flowers on the wife's grandma's grave and likely help decorate my brother's. And I'll be drinking some beer as well.

I helps me remember that France, Poland, and the rest of Europe are a bunch of focking poosays and would all be German if it wasn't for us....

and Russia and the RAF and the French underground......

And actually we'd be British if it weren't for the French.

And actually we'd be British if it weren't for the French.

We were British at one point. :blink:

We were British at one point. :blink:

Citizens. But we were many things really.

Citizens. But we were many things really.

and still are

it's a reminder as to how blessed i am to have people who were willing to die for my freedom.

:headbanger:

Kind of weird that MDC and Torrid Bin Laden aren't posting in here :clap:

and still are

Definitely. But thanks to the French saving our ass, we were able to become Americans.

Definitely. But thanks to the French saving our ass, we were able to become Americans.

Did they really save our ass? Serious question....I'm not too up on that part of our history. Except for what I see in movies but I don't like to learn our history from movies. I saw

"The Patriot" which aluded to this, but thats it. How did they save us exactly? TIA

Did they really save our ass? Serious question....I'm not too up on that part of our history. Except for what I see in movies but I don't like to learn our history from movies. I saw

"The Patriot" which aluded to this, but thats it. How did they save us exactly? TIA

I'm not to much on the specifics either, and it's pointless to wonder that if we didn't have their aid would things have been differently? Who knows. History shows that they aided us though and probably had a good deal to do with our 'revolution'.

Day off with pay :headbanger:

I'm not to much on the specifics either, and it's pointless to wonder that if we didn't have their aid would things have been differently? Who knows. History shows that they aided us though and probably had a good deal to do with our 'revolution'.

But history also show that they did it for the sole purpose of defeating England, not out of the goodness of their hearts. They had an alterior motive. The US's intentions in WW2 were absolutely noble.

They lent us money for arms and supplies, if memory serves me right. And we needed that shot in the arm.

Nowadays, France just sucks.

Basically, they sent their big bad navy and army over here to kick the red coats tail. They spent so much money/resourses on it, that many think it was also a cause for their revolution later. We definitely wouldn't have won it without them, we were basically a steaming pile of homeless farmers going after one of the best armies in the world. given their help and the fact that it costs a $hitload of money to wage a war like that, we're a free country.

Thats the clif notes version.

1) It's my B-day on 5/28, biotches! :pointstosky: :banana:

2) Yes the French fleet FINALLY showed up at the most important moment to keep the British Fleet from saving Cornwallis at Yorktown AND they did indeed deplete their treasury to finance our fight, thus leading to the bankruptcy of France and Louis XVI calling for more taxes and ultimately the French Revolution. Whew! :banana:

I get to hang out with my working friends. :D :D :banana:

I call BS on two points here:

1) That you have friends

2) That if you did have friends they would have jobs! ;)

Guidos invading my town.

But $$ is nice.

It means working 10 hours Friday, 8 Sunday, 8 Monday. :blink:

To me, Memorial Day means two things. First, stock up because the liquor stores will be closed til Tuesday. Second, there's an NBA playoff game on Monday.

Very nice. You have a nice Memorial Day! :blink:

I was watching the local news tonight (I think WB) and they interviewed a lady bystander at the parade and asked her the same question. Her response?

"I have a friend who is a fireman, so I came out to show my respect."

:first: :lol:

That was the only clip from the parade and the anchors just carried on like normal.

I was watching the local news tonight (I think WB) and they interviewed a lady bystander at the parade and asked her the same question. Her response?

"I have a friend who is a fireman, so I came out to show my respect."

:first: :lol:

That was the only clip from the parade and the anchors just carried on like normal.

I've never seen a Memorial Day parade where the firemen don't show up.

Of course, Eastpointe, Michigan is kind of strapped for participants down Gratiot and Stephens. Any civic group - school bands/teams, boy/girl scouts, little leagues, VFW, local politicians, firemen, police, homeowners association, churches, just about anybody that wants to participate can.

The woman's neighbor -maybe- is a fireman, whoo hoo, come on out. The more the merrier.

This holiday commemorates U.S. men and women who have died in military service to their country.

Men such as my good friend who died in Iraq on July 1, 2004 gunning down a suicide bomber and preventing him from reaching his target, the US base in Mosul. It means I take the time to kneel down at his grave and remember the good times we had and how things would be if he were still here. To give thanks that he made the ultimate sacrifice making sure some fanatical terrorist exploded his bomb at him rather than threatening our lives and our families at our homes.

I'm a war veteran, but I kind of feel out of place being in the limelight since the '91 Gulf War was so easy and non-demanding of us.

My war stories pale in comparison to most anybody else's. We didn't do much. Nobody I knew died. The one guy I knew that got shot (a flesh wound) was because he and his friend were cleaning their weapons in their truck and the one was negligent enough to leave a round in his chamber.

This Memorial Day, there are guys over there in Iraq and Afghanistan right now, not of their own choosing but dodging bullets and explosives and getting paid crap, to do what the President demands of them. Hopefully everybody keep the US troops living in the sandbox -many on their third tours there- in their thoughts.

Weekend over :pointstosky: