Sign in to follow this  
sanders

Investing

Any Geeks out there with any advice on any good books or strategies, etc. that will help a guy out?

Right now my work has a pension and I contribute to a savings plan that was setup when I got hired.

I contribute X amount of dollars into a balanced mutual fund every month. I now have built that up over the past 5 years and looking for something with potential to make more than my 8% a year I'm getting from my funds.

I just bought my first ever stock and it's doing okay but I really know nothing about investing in stocks or anything else.

Any tips out there suggested learnings for a guy looking for something with a chance at out performing my mutual funds?

If you are gettng 8% per year that's pretty good. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in being able to outperform the market year after year. Professionals devote their whole life to it and most can't beat the market consistently. That being said, if you wanted to devote a portion of your portfolio to other investments types you might want to try foreign stocks (should be through mutual funds or index funds) or REITS (real estate investment trusts). I would put some money into corporate bonds, but without knowing what your current portfolio is I can't say for certain what would be appropriate. Trying to beat the market usually means one of two things, 1) using risky investments or 2) trying to time the market. To do either successfully usually requires more time and effort than the arm chair investor has.

....in your kids ears and nesting

Testing, attention please.....

Pay yourself first.

Save, then spend...not the other way.

Motley Fool.