Sign in to follow this  
PastorOfMuppets

2006 Belmont Stakes ...

For those interested ... race is 2 days away.

Early favorite is Bluegrass Cat (2nd in the Derby) at 3-1. Sunriver is right behind him at 4-1.

I don't see BGC or Bob and John (5-1) hitting the board, though. The horse I'm pinning my hopes (and cash) on is the #7, DEPUTY GLITTERS. He can be had at a robust 15-1 right now.

DG is representing a Triple Crown of sorts. His jock is Prado (Barbaro in the Derby) and his trainer (Albertrani) won the Preakness with Bernardini. Pedigree can't get any better than that. I'll use him over: Sunriver, High Finance, Jazil and Steppenwolfer in all exotics, as well as placing a huge chunk on him to win.

So, I like for Exacta and Tri: 7 over 2,5,8,11, as well as straight up 7-2 exacta, and straight up 7-2-5 exacta.

Superfecta: 7-2-5-8.

Thank me Saturday night .... :cry:

I don't get why you suggest DG? If I remember correctly, you suggested him for the Derby too. He came in 8th? I think there are better horses he would need to overcome to win. Does he run a long track well or something?

I don't get why you suggest DG? If I remember correctly, you suggested him for the Derby too. He came in 8th? I think there are better horses he would need to overcome to win. Does he run a long track well or something?

He's a stalker. I saw that jerk sitting outside my window last night. :wub:

Nope, didn't pick him to win ... picked him for exotics. If you revisit the thread, you'll see that I liked Sweetnorthernsaint for the Derby ... while also calling Barbaro this years Afleet Alex, and dismissing Lawyer Ron as this years Bellamy Road.

I also pimped the living shite out of Jazil and Step for underneath exotics ... and I used them in all of my Tri and Superfecta wagers ... but unfortunately left Bluegrasscat off ... though I did hedge, and hit the 8-13 exacta.

The reason I like DG is CLEARLY explained in my first post ... scroll on up.

Nope, didn't pick him to win ... picked him for exotics. If you revisit the thread, you'll see that I liked Sweetnorthernsaint for the Derby ... while also calling Barbaro this years Afleet Alex, and dismissing Lawyer Ron as this years Bellamy Road.

I also pimped the living shite out of Jazil and Step for underneath exotics ... and I used them in all of my Tri and Superfecta wagers ... but unfortunately left Bluegrasscat off ... though I did hedge, and hit the 8-13 exacta.

The reason I like DG is CLEARLY explained in my first post ... scroll on up.

Okay, that's cool. Are you going on Saturday?

Okay, that's cool. Are you going on Saturday?

Won't be in lovely Belmont on race day ... I'll keep with my tradition (since '98), and spend Saturday at the Meadowlands in Jersey. I'll be betting the whole Belmont card, as well as some Pimlico and Churchill.

Then the trotters come out for a 7:30 post at the Meadowlands ... great track for longshots (and to bet Cat Manzi and John Campbell) ... offers a nice option to parlay some of your winnings, or to try and catch up on a TILT ... and their draught beers are the best I've ever had at any track.

dcOne ... Zito is a Belmont legend/fixture. HK has been steady ... interesting choice, and at a damn nice (15-1) price. Wouldn't be shocked (because of Zito) if he hit the board.

dcOne ... Zito is a Belmont legend/fixture. HK has been steady ... interesting choice, and at a damn nice (15-1) price. Wouldn't be shocked (because of Zito) if he hit the board.

I'm only taking him because of Jeremy Rose's "expert" ride he gave Afleet Alex last year.

:D

7 on top with 11-3-8

9 on top with 7-5-1-8

9-7-3

:banana: :banana:

So, I like for Exacta and Tri: 7 over 2,5,8,11, as well as straight up 7-2 exacta, and straight up 7-2-5 exacta.

Superfecta: 7-2-5-8.

Thank me Saturday night .... :cheers:

I'm gamblng the 2 jumps out but runs out of gas. Hopefully for your sake, I'm wrong.

:ninja:

Excellent call, porkbutt ... hope you plunked down significant coin. Congrats!

Some thoughts on this "Triple Crown" batch of 3 year olds, as we head to the Travers and Breeders Cup:

First off, I think this was the most underwhelming batch of "elite" 3 year olds I've seen in years. There are/were some fine ponies (Jazil, Barbaro, Bluegrasscat, Bernardini), but, by and large, not any one so dominant.

If Barbaro wasn't injured? Would he have been the "ONE" this year? I honestly don't think so. I am absolutely certain that Bernardini would've blown his doors off with that amazing Preakness he (Bernardini) ran.

Jazil: Pimped his ARSE off in the Derby thread here ... and I felt the Derby was his best chance of the 3 races to win. He had a bad trip early, but rallied to hit fourth. Jara and Mclaughlin are a formidible pair heading forward ... and this horse has alot of heart. The class of the lot, no doubt IMO. A tremendous trip yesterday ... I just wish he would've run the Preakness as well.

Bob And John, Sweetnorthernsaint, Brother Derek, Lawyer Ron: The most overhyped gang of also-rans in years. The best they did COLLECTIVELY was the Saint's distant second in the Preakness. I wouldn't even bet your nickel on any one of these hacks from here on in.

Bluegrasscat: Probably the most consistent ... hit place in both the Derby and Belmont. Was the fave yesterday, so, it was expected ... but, his 30-1 place at the Derby made a lot of folks a lot of money. He'll be a favorite/darling with the horse bettors because of that, and deservedly so.

Steppenwolfer: Another horse I absolutely loved in the Derby. Rallied to hit the board there, at a very nice price. I really didn't like his chances yesterday ... thought the "deep close" would be lost at this distance. One more thing about Step ... he's yet to win a grade 1 or 2 stake ... some horses just don't know how to win, simple as that.

Bernardini: Amazing Preakness trip, was the best horse in the world that day, no one would've beaten him. Held out yesterday to prep for the Travers/Breeders Cup. Gotta love him in any race he lines up in from here on out.

Sunriver: Impressive Peter Pan, decent trip yesterday. Something about this horse tells me he can run a perfect race ... his best is yet to come.

Barbaro: Ran such an impressive Derby ... scared away so many contenders at the Preakness. It would've been interesting to see if he didn't come up hobbled ... and was beaten in the Preakness by Bernardini ... I think they both would've been in the field yesterday ... and Jazil probably would've beaten them. Regardless ... get well, Barbaro ... enjoy your Golden Years.

It shapes up to be an interesting close to the season with Bernardini, Bluegrasscat, Jazil and Sunriver.

Congrats to those who cashed in ... see you all for the Travers.