Sign in to follow this  
SoloMatisse

Jerry Porter...DUMB pick league...Draft COMMENTARY...take 2.

but I can.....apparently. have at it.

Pules? List of picks?

:banana:

Rye & Leaf - that was my coin toss at 2.09. Thank you for validating it by taking Moss at 2.10, because if he made it any farther I woulda felt like I blew it. :clap:

As it stands, I think he's in for a monster season - 1500/15 is an outside shot, but 1200/11 seems totally realistic.

I had to choose between an injured QB or a retarded QB and I went with injured. lol

Not sure either were great picks, but nice job thinking like me I guess. :lol:

I see I have been put in a tough situation - Stud wr all gone and most good rb's are gone - here come two tough choices if we get our 12 man back

We've got our 12th man literally on standby. We're gonna wait unti tommorow and see if anything changes, and if not, Ive invited an excellent pal of mine and an avid football buff to take over. I told him the team already had Shaun Alexander and was currently on the clock.....real tough sell.....but no guarantees.

We've got our 12th man literally on standby. We're gonna wait unti tommorow and see if anything changes, and if not, Ive invited an excellent pal of mine and an avid football buff to take over. I told him the team already had Shaun Alexander and was currently on the clock.....real tough sell.....but no guarantees.

I'll trade teams with him. That SA start is rocky, but I am up to the challenge.

Solo, thank you for not picking for this team. Consensus pick is not the way to go as my team clearly reflects. :huh:

Pules? List of picks?

:huh:

Rye & Leaf - that was my coin toss at 2.09. Thank you for validating it by taking Moss at 2.10, because if he made it any farther I woulda felt like I blew it. :D

As it stands, I think he's in for a monster season - 1500/15 is an outside shot, but 1200/11 seems totally realistic.

I had to choose between an injured QB or a retarded QB and I went with injured. lol

Not sure either were great picks, but nice job thinking like me I guess. :thumbsup:

Randy has great potential this year, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping CJ would drop to me at 10.

Ok, I am finally home from work and want to read what could have happened to what's-his-name and the thread is gone. What gives? Can somebody give me the highlights package of what I missed?

Guys Ive just received an email from SOONER and he's bowing out. he apologized for putting us in this spot, and he appreciated the thoughts, but he declined to re-join the league. Too much damage has been done for him to want to get back in. its not the end of the world.

Ive already found a new owner to step in and take over the team. It is a personal friend of mine in the Va Beach area. He's not even yet a member of FFToday, but he'll be signed in tomorrow, and ready to roll after work hours here, if not sooner. He'll be a newbie to the FFT scene here, but lets not hold that against him. A rookie in this room doesnt mean he's a rookie to FF. So lets show him a little hospitality.....Im not asking for you to show him respect.....he'll have to earn that himself, but for what its worth, he did just win our 12 team keeper league last year. he's got MY respect. be patient with the pick....we'll be back in the flow and in full swing in a day.

I'll trade teams with him. That SA start is rocky, but I am up to the challenge.

Solo, thank you for not picking for this team. Consensus pick is not the way to go as my team clearly reflects. :thumbsup:

Steel-

Your team is seeking domination at this point....Im definitely sweating that 1-2 punch right now.....excellent picks so far...youve gotta b pleased.

I was the last to read ALL 7 pages of the previous thread. The hoRRor I tell ya. :thumbsup:

I'll be mum for the moment.... Gonna take dogs for a good run in the woods down to the creek.

finally, we got things sorted! :thumbsup: cant wait to get this draft going again.

i hope it works out this time.

be nice scooter

Batter UP - STEP IN HERE alternate #1 - you have SA and next pick - go for it - and btw you have no idea what you are doing :D - -

a warm welcome from jocstrap :thumbsup:

finally, we got things sorted! :thumbsup: cant wait to get this draft going again.

i hope it works out this time.

be nice scooter

The guy was looking for a fight then leaves when he gets it. Let this episode be a cautionary tale: if you can't take a punch, don't throw them.

Do all Sooners lay down and quit that easy?? What a poose. His word means nothing. He shoulda said that he'd like to be in the league if everything made him feel warm and fuzzy. A very self centered individual!! Take your ball home.

Glad you kept the ball rolling Solo, I welcome your bud into the league. I have a mild eternity to wait for my next pick, but I'm ready.

Do all Sooners lay down and quit that easy?? What a poose. His word means nothing. He shoulda said that he'd like to be in the league if everything made him feel warm and fuzzy. A very self centered individual!! Take your ball home.

Glad you kept the ball rolling Solo, I welcome your bud into the league. I have a mild eternity to wait for my next pick, but I'm ready.

You ARE absolutely hating it right now, Yip, and Im feeling for you. But I will push my guy to 'tighten up' and be ready to roll with his pick probably by tomorrow @ around 6 or so. hang in there my young friend........

It is a personal friend of mine in the Va Beach area. He's not even yet a member of FFToday

Oh geez, that means he's a squid or a squid lover...coming from an ex-squid...i don't like him already!!!! LOL

I introduced my 8yr old daughter to Gilligan's Island and step away...and a freaking thread is gone and people have already left...for the love of GOD.....IT's Fantasy Football on the INTERNET.

That said...can I switch places?

You ARE absolutely hating it right now, Yip, and Im feeling for you. But I will push my guy to 'tighten up' and be ready to roll with his pick probably by tomorrow @ around 6 or so. hang in there my young friend........

In the AM or PM?

I'm rubbing the genie lamp a second time 2 2 2 2 - Insert alternate #1's name here __________?

welcome alternate #1 - you are going to choke with your SA and current pick? Your team will not play up to expectations. Take Rothlesberger (scooter I will never use another name again but, breaking the rules on this special occasion since the superbowl QB champion rode a freaking motorcycle without a helmet into a car:wall: . I just can't understand especially when this happened to winslow last year??) You know how pissed ol' coach cower is going to be! Holy Smoolies -

coach cower to roth in 2 months - Roth give me an extra 10 sprints at the end of today's practice, and the next day, and next day, and next day - you DUMBARSE

On top of the world to dumbarse of the world - - I do hope he recovers and has many good years, but damn!

This is my only Mulligan on players names that have not been drafted. :thumbsup: that's a jocstrap clause b in the second paragraph, second sentence on "never use undrafted players names!"

I have no free advice. So, I hope you don't mind me posting. I have been lurking on FFToday for several years. (long before I signed up in "02) I have been following your league since before its' inception on the main board. I just wanted to say that I have enjoyed following you guys with all your banter and am glad that you are keeping the league draft going. Good luck to all of you in your pursuit of bragging rights.

I have no free advice. So, I hope you don't mind me posting. I have been lurking on FFToday for several years. (long before I signed up in "02) I have been following your league since before its' inception on the main board. I just wanted to say that I have enjoyed following you guys with all your banter and am glad that you are keeping the league draft going. Good luck to all of you in your pursuit of bragging rights.

To old Guru - member since 02' and a low amount of conversation means what you say is how you feel. Thank you for your support :banana:

To old Guru - member since 02' and a low amount of conversation means what you say is how you feel. Thank you for your support :banana:

Hey..I've been a member since '02 with a low amount of conversation...what does that say about me Mr.

8-ball?

Hey..I've been a member since '02 with a low amount of conversation...what does that say about me Mr.

8-ball?

Usually too stoned to talk? I dunno..lol

The guy was looking for a fight then leaves when he gets it. Let this episode be a cautionary tale: if you can't take a punch, don't throw them.

Thanks Rye - in an odd way, I appreciate that.

I'm still trying to figure out what "damage" was done, but I'll let it go for now.

lol

Now let's get cracka-lackin'!

To think...had I simply been an alternate here I'd have SA and the next pick! :thumbsup:

Usually too stoned to talk? I dunno..lol

:thumbsup:

Conspiracy Theory:

StoneCold is sleeping with da fishes allowing Solo to backdoor a Newbie *cough*alias*cough* with a dream draft pick.

wish i'd thought of it first-never had SA on any of my teams :(

wow you guys are smoking good stuff.

besides, I never got an offer I couldn't refuse. Bastard took T.O. from me. I think he should have been the 1st WR taken, warts and all. 1600/17. His consistent production is going to be stout, even if his reception totals are a little low.

picked 1.03
Server Menace
ladainian tomlinson
randy moss

picked 1.04
Unwashed Masses
clinton portis
chad johnson

what a difference a pick makes. :huh:

I really like my team, but 1.03 is the place to pick this year. Get an elite WR to pair with LT2 and it just looks terrifying. :D

nice squad there Rye, I'm afraid...very afraid. :D :ninja:

Of course, from here on out you're drafting like it's for real - 1-2 was easy for you...now we see who the true jedi is.

:ninja:

lol- what happened to the other thread....?????? i am guessing another flame-war ensued between scooter and sooner :lol: and i'm guessing scooter racked up another 10+ posts to make his point ;)

well anyway... while you clowns were distracted by their panty-tossing contest.....i have racked 2 superb value picks...what were you guys thinking passing on tiki at 4 and 5 in a ppr league..regardless the guy is going to get minimum 1200 yard rushing about 10 tds rushing and will catch 50-60 balls and score a couple of times there...ronnie brown????lol

and it might behoove you clowns to a little research here-lol...while you were reaching for running backs like like scooter was reaching for another martini with an umbrella in it at his local san fran gay bar tonight during " happy hour " ..moon manning fell to me in the 19th pick in this draft :lol: ...in a league where you get 6 points per passing td to go with 25 yards passing if he finishes the #1 like we all expect...i just got a player that will put up better numbers than the #1 wr overall and in the top #3 or #4 of running backs...so thanks ....i guess i can just say it's been Christmas in June so far..

see ya later today at 3.7 for another gift pick.........bwahahahahahaha

:banana:

Clash, arent you glad you joined this league?....to take full advantage of us newbies??? Ive got to tell you, I let Tiki slide to you at 6 for a few reasons, but I know you had no choice but to snag him. I realize what his value is, but I was just in the mood to shake things up a little.....call it a gift from me for joining this league, and Im still very appreciative for that. But one gift is all your getting....from ME anyway. The Peyton Manning pick was a gift from the rest of the league, but I had nothing to do with that one. I couldnt believe he was sliding like that, and you absolutely stole him. Youre 100% correct about his stats will fit with this format, and he'll be a golden no-brainer start for you every week. So, good for you early on with your 2 value picks.....both criminal acts, but Ill be interested from this point on to see how the rest of your draft unfolds. I brought you in for a reason......you guru! Show me somethin'.......

Alright, so now on the Tiki Barber pick at 5. Here's how it breaks down. The guys I was actually looking at with that pick were Barber, Brown, Steven Jackson, Rudi Johnson and Peyton Manning. Yes, Manning. I was thinking about it, but I knew 5 was far too high and all the top notch lead RBs would be gone by the time my 2 came around.....and I really didnt feel like getting laughed at quite yet.........(as if Ron Brown wasnt laughable?) :banana: . So, looking over the schedules, the first I eliminated was Steve Jackson. In a redraft, his matchups hit a stiff wall at around week 6. He'll actually open up his season against Denver, who was #2 in rush D last year, so out of the gate with a stiffler. But at week 6, the real fun begins for Jackson.....sorry, Ace. Stay optimistic. He'll play Seattle (5th ranked rush D), then have a BYE, then play @SD(#1), then KC(#7), then @Seattle(#5), and @ Carolina(#4). That's 6 straight weeks of either a bye or a top 7 rush D from a year ago. Sure, it was LAST year, but I play the #s and those are them, so Jackson was out. Considering Rudi, who I really like in a non-ppr league, I didnt completely hate his schedule ....except for his playoff weeks.....@ Indy and @ Denver.....but its definitely going to be a tougher challenge this year for the Bengals with those 2 matchups in addition to NE, SD, KC, TB, CAR and of course Pitt and Baltimore twice....AND Rudi doesnt catch balls.....he was out.

Which brought me to Ron Brown vs Tiki. Why Ron Brown? An absent Ricky Williams and a present Nick Saban (with Oline coach Hudson Houck) a major factor. Miami was making a push toward the end of last year. I absolutely keep an eye on how teams finish to determine prospects for the following season. Maybe Ill be wrong on this one, but we'll see. First thing I looked at with each guy was how their schedule opened up. Nothing worse than a slow start because of tough schedules. Barber opens up with Indy at home, which I dont like, then road games with Seattle and Philly followed by a bye. Arguements can be made about the Sea and Philly games, but I dont like 'em. I wouldnt pick NY to win either of those games. I can see the Giants opening up 0-3 before hitting the bye week. Ill pull this post up in September if that happens, believe me. So bottom line there with Tiki was I was not about to throw my 5 pick away at a guy who's team will be winless thru 4 weeks. But what do I know??? Barber will surely put up #s......but he also just sort of reminds me of Priest Holmes following up on a 27TD season with an injury that caused him to miss half of the next season, and Curtis Martin who followed up leading the league in rushing with whatever #s he produced last year. Older guys.......other people can have them at 5. :lol:

Now, my boy Ron Brown.....oh, Ron Brown. What a gamble. He's proven virtually nothing, other than he's an absolute beast, a LJ clone with huge size and speed playing on a team with balance on O and a decent D. Good Head coaching and offensive line coaching definitely factored in when initially considering him. So did the absence of Ricky Williams. His absence means a boost in confidence for Brown more than anything else. That knucklehead Williams doesnt deserve to be in an NFL lockerroom. Without Williams around, Id add 500 rushing yds and 30 catches and 200 more yds to Brown's projections...with an additional 5 or 6 TDs. Oh, and he's a goalline back too, so NOT being a little guy who'll get pulled at the 2 wont cause me any sleepless nights. But can he hold up? Thats the wildcard. I would have asked the same questions about Shaun Alexander before he took over in his 2nd season. or Willis McGahee before he did what he did in his 2nd year. Or even Larry Johnson before last year. Or a host of other unproven players.....they all have to start their spectacular careers somewhere. Brown will begin his THIS year. Im sweating Daunte a little, but he's back home in Florida, and he'll have had just about a full year to recover by season's start. And he wont be running much with the ball....and he'll be looking to dump it off under pressure. He wont vulture many TDs around the goalline like he's done with backs in year's past, but he's got good targets to throw to and he's accumstomed to leading a prolific offense. Be that as it may, there are uncertanties surrounding Miami's O, but Im a gambler, and youre the benefactor. Now, Brown's schedule is particularly delghtful. He opens up with a very difficult road game at Pittsburgh, but its Thursday night on national TV, and studs play well in the spotlight, so we'll test my 'stud' theory with Brown early. That'll be a tough game for Miami, no doubt, and likely a loss, but that's the arguably the toughest game on their schedule. Week 2 the fun begins for Brown and Miami. They'll have Buffalo and Tenn at home followed by Houston on the road. Those teams were ranked 31st, 22nd, and 32nd respectively versus the run last year and allowed 55 RUSHING TDs last year....which is a ton. So, that 3 week stretch vs those 3 teams early in the year helps. He'll have a couple of other tough games vs Chicago and New England, but then during our fantasy playoffs, should I make it that far, Brown and Miami will be dealing with Buffalo and the Jets....31st and 29th against the run and 41 rushing TDs alllowed......of course, last year. Looking over Brown's overall schedule, it really is quite unbelievable, so I have reason for optimism, and I know it was a sketchy sounding pick at the 5, but we'll see. This type of thing is why we play the games. I'll ride this kid and TO all the way thru the final week if everything works out.

So, take your door prizes, Clash and feel good about them...particularly Manning, who I think will have a brilliant year this season. I really wanted him. Youre team is stacking up nicely so far on paper.....oh, no, not the famous 'on paper' reference. I see a whole lot of good 1-2 punces right now around this league. again, I thank you for getting in this thing, and look forward to teaching you a thing or two.

" ..moon manning fell to me in the 19th pick in this draft :pointstosky: ...in a league where you get 6 points per passing td to go with 25 yards passing if he finishes the #1 like we all expect...i just got a player that will put up better numbers than the #1 wr overall and in the top #3 or #4 of running backs...so thanks ....i guess i can just say it's been Christmas in June so far..

thats a great spot to pick manning. but, even with all TDs 6 points, someone can wait on an elite QB (not a beast like peyton manning) until the 5th to 6th round. all the elite wrs seem to be gone by the 2nd and early 3rd round. in a 3 WR league, i had to pull the trigger on steve smith, which was an obvious choice IMO. but urs was a great choice too i believe.

lol- what happened to the other thread....?????? i am guessing another flame-war ensued between scooter and sooner :clap: and i'm guessing scooter racked up another 10+ posts to make his point :blink:

Actually no - the topic went back down the windy road to FFB and I suggested that we start fresh since sooners took his ball and went home and we were all still here to play.

The expression, "don't start no sh!t, won't be no sh!t" comes to mind, but what's in the past is past. Suffice to say that for a rare change, while involved in that nonsense I attempted to put my best foot forward throughout. :doublethumbsup:

...in a league where you get 6 points per passing td to go with 25 yards passing if he finishes the #1 like we all expect...i just got a player that will put up better numbers than the #1 wr overall and in the top #3 or #4 of running backs...

How many times have we gone 'round and 'round on this, Clash?

See, every QB gets 6 pts per passing TD - not like Manning gets 6 and all the other QBs get 4. :blink:

The value of your QB over my WR means nothing. What's important is the differential between your QB and my QB and between your WR1 and my WR1.

I am of the belief that my WR1 will be as much as 30% better than your WR1, while your QB1 (4000/35/10) will likely be about 12% better than my QB1 (3600/30/12).

To me, that just isn't worth taking a QB in the 1st - 4th rounds. I'd rather stack up on RBs and WRs in these rounds and let others reach for QBs (like you).

Granted, 19th overall is a solid value - I've said as much already. And had he made it to me I'd have considered it strongly. But in the long run I still woulda passed on him for an elite WR, because at that point there were maybe 4 top tier guys left at WR, while there remained every QB not named Peyton sitting there to be had in the later rounds.

Again, it's all theory, but last year I took [a QB to be named later] in the 7th round of 3 leagues and he gave Manning a real run for his money. Meanwhile my WR1 blew away team Manning's WR1. He was ticked all year about the pick. Maybe you'll have better results.

So while a great value for PManning, I don't think it was a great value pick. But that's my strategy more than anything - could end up a great move for you, and hey - someone had to do it.

:clap:

Alright, so now on the Tiki Barber pick at 5. Here's how it breaks down. The guys I was actually looking at with that pick were Barber, Brown, Steven Jackson, Rudi Johnson and Peyton Manning. Yes, Manning. I was thinking about it, but I knew 5 was far too high and all the top notch lead RBs would be gone by the time my 2 came around.....and I really didnt feel like getting laughed at quite yet.........(as if Ron Brown wasnt laughable?) :P . So, looking over the schedules, the first I eliminated was Steve Jackson. In a redraft, his matchups hit a stiff wall at around week 6. He'll actually open up his season against Denver, who was #2 in rush D last year, so out of the gate with a stiffler. But at week 6, the real fun begins for Jackson.....sorry, Ace.

I totally follow your logic, and I too took that into account, at least somewhat....

But I've been watching football and playing this crap too long.....and trying to "rank" strength of schedules in the NFL is almost like trying to pick lottery numbers. A defense that was "good" last year, could just as easily suck this year. Vice Versa a sub-par defense in the previous year can all of a sudden become "good against the run". Don't underestimate Buffalo by the way....the return of Takeo Spikes will help them, at least against the run.

Welcome to the salary cap era of the NFL.....If I would have told you heading into last year that the Ravens defense was gonna lay an egg alot of people would have laughed at me. There's so much turnover and things change so quickly that you can pretty much take the top 10 defenses against the run last year and you'll get a very different list this year by year's end.

So basically what I'm saying is........There's a tendency among us hard-core FF'ers to overthink picks......Steven Jackson has question marks, but his opponents aren't necessarily the ones I had in mind.

But I agree with the rest of your post for the most part.....solid analysis. For the record I think Ronnie Brown has as much upside as anyone drafted outside the top 3. Like I've said before, it's just a matter of preference. Bravo to you for not taking the "consensus" pick at #5 and thinking outside the box. I wouldn't haven taken Tiki at #5 either. I know he has produced great numbers the last couple of years but there's just too many red flags there (that have been re-hashed about a million times on this forum) for me to take him that high. With my luck the year I actually jump on the Tiki bandwagon he'll actually slow down....so I won't tempt fate and go another route should I have to make the same decision in one of my other drafts. As you can see....fantasy football isn't a science.....sometimes you just gotta go with your gut even though the numbers say otherwise. There's a saying in the investment industry......"Prior performance isn't necessarily an indicator of future results". I'm a big believer in that. "Top 10's" change every year dramatically at every position in fantasy football.

By the way....here's my .02 on Manning. And no doubt I will be in the minority on this one....but I'll stick by my gut.

He's a QB who's game is very much predicated on the play-action pass. Linebackers don't bite when you can't run the ball. Their O-Line isn't what it use to be, IMO. In addition, The rookie and the veteran RB are not going to be able to bring all the things to the table that Edge did. In Edge you're talking about a complete back, a guy who could stay in the game on every down and do everything....especially.......blitz pickups. I don't think most people realize just how much losing Edge is going to hurt this offense, in numerous ways. Their #1 WR is aging before our very eyes and I think this will be the year he really starts to show it.

Couple all that with the continued emphasis and improvement of their defense.....shootouts aren't the norm or required any longer.

Overall....I just don't have that warm and fuzzy feeling I've had in the past about the Colts as a whole. Don't get me wrong....there's certain guys on that offense I would still draft if they were available in the "right" rounds.....but I don't think you're going to see an offensive juggernaut this year. Most will argue that with the loss of Edge he'll be throwing the ball around everywhere. Perhaps. But I think what made some of that passing so effective in the past was the "threat" of the run....which I no longer think will be present.

Just one man's opinion. I don't consider him that much of a value, even mid 2nd round....cause I think there's 3 QB's this year that are gonna give him a run for his money in terms of fantasy points. All 3 of which can be had much later. That, to me, is value.

Let's go new guy let's go :rolleyes: let's go new guy let's go :)

I'm anxiously awaiting my next two picks at 2.12 and 3.1 - - Man it's going to be decision time!

Let's go new guy let's go :wall: let's go new guy let's go :clap:

I'm anxiously awaiting my next two picks at 2.12 and 3.1 - - Man it's going to be decision time!

Don't worry - you'll choke, I'm sure.

5 gets you 10 that joc starts the run on kickers at 3.01 - takers? :blink:

Don't worry - you'll choke, I'm sure.

5 gets you 10 that joc starts the run on kickers at 3.01 - takers? :blink:

Yea right with all those points you get for defensive plays - :wall: .

Ugh my options aren't what I thought they would be here :clap: . I want to be the 3rd pick like you said earlier scooter.

OKAY - Scooter aren't you the new commish? Put an invite up on the main board (needing 1 genius to take over SA and current pick)! Make sure the person checks the board as many times a day as I do, and lets get this thing cranked back up. I'm going into convulsions waiting this long.

OKAY - Scooter aren't you the new commish? Put an invite up on the main board (needing 1 genius to take over SA and current pick)! Make sure the person checks the board as many times a day as I do, and lets get this thing cranked back up. I'm going into convulsions waiting this long.

1. no - I am not. lol. that was a joke from solo, but he did ask me to help out, which is why I posted the running draft list. Well, that and solo is a lazy bastehd and didn't do it himself :banana:

2. solo already has a buddy - the position's filled. he's just not picking. :unsure:

3. solo - get your pal in here to pick his kicker already so we can get this show on the road!

Yneeding 1 genius to take over SA and current pick! Make sure the person checks the board as many times a day as I do, and lets get this thing cranked back up.

Tell you what. Out of the goodness of my dear heart, I volunteer to take this pick and will make the next pick :thumbsup: , and let the new guy take over my old spot....that should last us until tonight.

Solo Corleone isn't even a member yet? 6:00pm today - - UGGHHHH. Light a fire under that rook b/c the rest of us check this board several times a day (except Clash - we have no idea what he does ). Lets go Corleone ( i kind of like the ring to that also) - get it together man. Make that crucial 2.11 pick - Just do it!