Sign in to follow this  
gocolts

ECW kicks off tonight on SciFi

I would be, but I am house-sitting tonight w/out cable. :wacko:

ECW = Extreme Championship Wrestling

I would be, but I am house-sitting tonight w/out cable. :mad:

ECW = Extreme Championship Wrestling

have it hooked up for them, they'll thank you!

:wacko:

' date='Jun 13 2006, 02:21 PM' post='2468540']

have it hooked up for them, they'll thank you!

B)

Nah, she's had it before and cancelled it. Doubt she'd want me to turn it back on for her. :P

No, but I did watch wrestling for the first time in years last night. What's the deal with Mick Foley and Ric Flair? They had kind of an interesting exchange last night on RAW, but I couldn't tell from the crowd reaction (crowd seemed dead) who was the face and who was the heal. I'd assume Mick was the face, but he was acting like a pansy with his crying about his injuries and unwillingness to fight Flair. Flair as a face doesn't seem right, though, either. B) One of those "gray area" fueds?

The rest of the show was boring. Seems like they must be going through one of their down periods. :P

I'd watch it, but I'm not ignorant white trash. HTH!

No, but I did watch wrestling for the first time in years last night. What's the deal with Mick Foley and Ric Flair? They had kind of an interesting exchange last night on RAW, but I couldn't tell from the crowd reaction (crowd seemed dead) who was the face and who was the heal. I'd assume Mick was the face, but he was acting like a pansy with his crying about his injuries and unwillingness to fight Flair. Flair as a face doesn't seem right, though, either. :P One of those "gray area" fueds?

The rest of the show was boring. Seems like they must be going through one of their down periods. :unsure:

Foley is currently in the middle of a heel run, so he's supposed to be the heel I suppose - but (just like there are with Flair) there are a lot of people that cheer him regardless, myself included.

It's interesting because the two of them have legitimate beef with each other. In Foley's first book he basically calls Flair a horrible booker, and in Flair's book he called Mick a glorified stuntman.

I am looking forward to that feud. B)

I'd watch it, but I'm not ignorant white trash. HTH!

Your white trash-ness is debatable, but if you think that is the only people watching wrestling you are ignorant. HTH

Wrestling's on SciFi? What's the connection?

...other than they're both complete fantasy...

Wrestling's on SciFi? What's the connection?

...other than they're both complete fantasy...

Sci-fi is owned by the same company (NBC maybe?) that owns USA, which is where Monday Night Raw is shown. Guess USA didn't have a timeslot open so they went with Sci-fi. I don't really see much of a connection either, personally...

Foley vs. the Cylons in an all-out grudge match!!!

Actually, now that I think about it, I remember hearing that Sci-fi's one request was that there be some kind of vampire character. :ninja: :lol:

Foley is currently in the middle of a heel run, so he's supposed to be the heel I suppose - but (just like there are with Flair) there are a lot of people that cheer him regardless, myself included.

It's interesting because the two of them have legitimate beef with each other. In Foley's first book he basically calls Flair a horrible booker, and in Flair's book he called Mick a glorified stuntman.

I am looking forward to that feud. :ninja:

Ah. I did read Foley's book back when I was hardcore into wrestling. I kind of remember that, now that you mention it.

Flair called Mick a glorified stuntman? Isn't that was these people are, primarily? I mean they're entertainers too I suppose, but he can't say Mick doesn't entertain. I guess I don't get where he's coming from. Atheticism really isn't required. If it gets over with the crowd, what difference does it make how it's done?

I think I'd root for Foley, too. Flair came off as snobbish to me in that whole exchange. I don't always follow the crowd, either. I was a big Brett Hart fan in his fueds with SCSA and Shawn Michaels back when he was a face in Canada and heal in America.

So is the product really bad right now, or did I just catch it on a bad night?

Ah. I did read Foley's book back when I was hardcore into wrestling. I kind of remember that, now that you mention it.

Flair called Mick a glorified stuntman? Isn't that was these people are, primarily? I mean they're entertainers too I suppose, but he can't say Mick doesn't entertain. I guess I don't get where he's coming from. Atheticism really isn't required. If it gets over with the crowd, what difference does it make how it's done?

I haven't read Flair's book but the impression I got was that he thought Foley couldn't entertain through wrestling. The WWE/WWF style is a lot more about the character and sports entertainment. The old NWA and even WCW for a while that Flair was in was more about telling the story through a match. It was more about wrestling first, and sports entertainment second. I think Flair was saying Foley was only getting over because he would do crazy things in the ring, not because he was an entertaining 'wrestler'.

So is the product really bad right now, or did I just catch it on a bad night?

That was one of the best Raws in months in my opinion. That should tell you something. :ninja:

Actually, now that I think about it, I remember hearing that Sci-fi's one request was that there be some kind of vampire character. :ninja: :lol:

The Bogie Man,maybe

The Bogie Man,maybe

Actually they re-signed Gangrel.

EDIT: Although the Boogeyman would be a good fit.

Actually they re-signed Gangrel.

Oh.I remember him.

Do you think that Umaga guy is the dude that was the Super Hero Rosey???

i hate that b!tch, lita

:mad:

Me too.The funny thing about her is she use to loved by all,until her real life affair with Edge while dating Matt Hardy for years.She has not been able to do anything since. :ninja: Except play the ###### that she is. :lol:

I haven't read Flair's book but the impression I got was that he thought Foley couldn't entertain through wrestling. The WWE/WWF style is a lot more about the character and sports entertainment. The old NWA and even WCW for a while that Flair was in was more about telling the story through a match. It was more about wrestling first, and sports entertainment second. I think Flair was saying Foley was only getting over because he would do crazy things in the ring, not because he was an entertaining 'wrestler'.

That was one of the best Raws in months in my opinion. That should tell you something. :first:

To be fair, I only caught the last hour or so.

I don't think Flair gives Foley enough credit, then. He's never been a great wrestler, that's true. But he's good on the mic and developes his characters well. So he's not exactly a one trick pony. It's good stuff for a fued, though. God, I hope don't get sucked back into this stuff. :clap:

Do you think that Umaga guy is the dude that was the Super Hero Rosey???

Yeah, Umaga was the same guy that played Jamaal in Three Minute Warning with Rosey.

I don't think Flair gives Foley enough credit, then. He's never been a great wrestler, that's true. But he's good on the mic and developes his characters well. So he's not exactly a one trick pony. It's good stuff for a fued, though. God, I hope don't get sucked back into this stuff. :clap:

They are both past any wrestling prime they had, so I imagine the match won't be that great. But the promos leading up to it should be :first: . I wish they would have more time to build the feud, but it makes sense right now coming on the heels of ECW and while Foley is a heel (so they can have the face/heel dynamic).

Me too.The funny thing about her is she use to loved by all,until her real life affair with Edge while dating Matt Hardy for years.She has not been able to do anything since. :first: Except play the ###### that she is. :clap:

it seems every man i've been with watches rasslin

including my 64 yo hubby

(god bless him .. he's suffering medically right now)

but i digress

i don't sit down to watch rasslin

i do often walk into the room where my man is watching

like last night

just in time to see lita

i'd be willin' to bet vince mcmahon inserts real life into his shows all the time

as far as ric flair .. vince should be using his name

bigtime

but vince is petty .. and vindictive

and doesn't forget - and he's rich

i laugh every time he pulls the

vince mcmahon kiss my azz club

ric doesn't like hardcore cuz he feels it's cheaper

maybe true - maybe the new way

if you don't take it too seriously

it can be fun

I don't think Flair gives Foley enough credit, then. He's never been a great wrestler, that's true. But he's good on the mic and developes his characters well. So he's not exactly a one trick pony. It's good stuff for a fued, though. God, I hope don't get sucked back into this stuff. :cheers:

DX is back together.At least HHH and Michaels are a team again.

whatever happened to Mysterio during the ppv? i havent seen a ppv in ages..

my wrestling buddy said that Sabu jumped on him...the table Rey was on didnt break correctly, snapping his head back and the call came from backstage to end the fight..no contest..

im sure reys fine..but sabu needs to fine tune his stunts before he gets extreme again...

and my wrestling buddy is NOT gay..he was supposed to bite mysetrio on the leg thursday...slipped and came out of the ring with his head up his butt..at least we know who his fave wrestler is :thumbsup: he'll be getting crap tomorrow at softball over that one..

lil leprachaun is slowing turning into finlays slave..i wonder who will rescue him(if it goes that way and if the character lives on)..

I wouldn't.

big titties , nice ass , ultra slutty -- whats not to love there ? :lol:

I'm not a wrestling fan, but I watched ECW a few times.

I like Super Crazy. It's such a stupid name, but it grows on you.

Haven't watched 'wrasslin' in a decade...but I will occassionaly flip to tonights show out of curiosity/nostalgia.

Was it any good?

With the Red Sox and NBA Finals on, I completely forgot about this.

I always was a fan of ECW, as they were the first group to really revel in their violence, and really brought tables, ladders, chairs, and some really amazing death defying stunts into the mainstream. They forced the other wrestling organizations to evolve into the more violent and acrobatic entertainment of today.

I fell asleep before it came on last night, but I'll check it out every so often.

I always was a fan of ECW, as they were the first group to really revel in their violence, and really brought tables, ladders, chairs, and some really amazing death defying stunts into the mainstream. They forced the other wrestling organizations to evolve into the more violent and acrobatic entertainment of today.

I fell asleep before it came on last night, but I'll check it out every so often.

I remember seeing the old ECW for the 1st time. They would air it at like 1:00 a.m. and I saw it one night after drinking at the bars and I watched it like this :rolleyes: because of the insane stuff they used to do. I am surprised no one ever died in the ring in ECW.

Is there a more appropriate channel for "professional wrestling" than Sci-FI

I remember seeing the old ECW for the 1st time. They would air it at like 1:00 a.m. and I saw it one night after drinking at the bars and I watched it like this :wacko: because of the insane stuff they used to do. I am surprised no one ever died in the ring in ECW.

Two of my favorite scenes from ECW...

They stacked 5 open folding tables on top of each other. So this thing was really, really high up. Two guys fought their way up to a balcony. One guy grabbed the other by the throat and tossed him off the balcony. The wrestler proceeded to fall through all five tables until he hit the ground. Sick, sick, sick. It became part of the opening credits of the weekly show.

There was a feud where The Sandman's exwife got involved in. There was a moment where they put a table outside the ring, and mind you there was zero padding outside the ring as it was all concrete. Sandman stood out on the ring apron, picked up with exwife, and jumped, and proceeded to piledrive her through the table onto the concrete outside the ring. Sick, sick, sick.

The opening theme to White Zombie's Thunderkiss '65 was awesome too.

:banana:

So, reading the reports on the show...sounds like it was pretty horrible. In addition to the vampire character, there was also a zombie character. According to the reports I read, Paul Heyman was supposed to the writer/booker for ECW, but Vince and WWE creative over-ruled him on a lot of the stuff :lol: . After the show Paul and most of the ECW staff all viewed the show as a big failure. ECW is not going to work unless they tape it seperately (currently it was done right before Smackdown) and get all of the WWE influence and wrestlers out of it. Let Paul do his thing and he'll make it work.

I found this report pretty funny too:

The original plan was for the Sandman to beat up an alien character, however Sci-Fi Network refused to allow an alien to be beat up on their network. That is why the decision was made to go with the Zombie.

:mad:

i agree..i watched some of it and the mystique isnt there...maybe it WILL be back..but it was blah....

the beauty of the show in the past was being the 3rd wrestling unit and needing to be desperate..wild and reckless to stamd out...

i knew wwf had the big names...wcw was a bunch of wrestlers doing a talk show and some dancers..but it was ecw that was talked about..

my friends always came over to drink and watch it on my dish...

but the wwe cant have it both ways..we know wwe owns them..but they cant write for them...they have a 12 week trial run..they need to be free for that time..get the big show out of it..

who did the barb wire stuff?...who jumps into crowds? off of balconies?..sets things on fire?..has a crowd intimately close where you can hear them chant clever things without the stupid signs?..who has people falling through the ring?

ECW...

if anything..maybe the 12 week run opens the door for a new guy who wants to pull off wild stunts and works the crowd..but enough of the tired talent..big shows wins the battle royale? wtf?...

ETA-i didnt realize that this was done before smackdown..but its tuesday..so yeah, makes sense...i never even asked my buddy about this..

personally, i hope he doesnt appear on it..i dont need to see my 2nd baseman going through 5 tables...

i never even asked my buddy about this...personally, i hope he doesnt appear on it..

Who is your friend? :first:

Who is your friend? :first:

dylan..hes the mini-finlay..though he doesnt really HAVE a name as of yet..at least i dont think so...hes still going through that "what is THAT phase?"...

i checked out some wrestling forums..those fans dont seem to like the character..it makes me laugh..so im ok with it..

if u have any questions..ask and ill ask him tonight..he likes to talk wrestling.i dont know that much though..i just ask the usual what happened to? type questions..