Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

Round 5 Commentary

Lots of dissing

Lots of cussing

Lots of discussing

As far as the selections at the corner go, there were several QBs who I considered....I think there is quite a bit of value at that position right now and some people are going to steal some guys this round. In the end, I like the fact that McNabb can score in many different ways...and I think he's got something to prove this year after the TO debacle. I look for McNabb to be a solid point producer....

At 5.01, I was a bit frustrated as I had targeted Addai for that spot, but FK picked him up before I could pounce on him. McAllister isn't a super exciting pick, but if Bush were to get hurt or hold out longer term, Deuce could be an enormous value here. He'll still likely be a 15-20 carry guy and will get short yardage touches, so he's a safe, solid #3 RB.

Five rounds, no WRs.....I could have picked one up here, but honestly, I think the next 15 WRs are all pretty even by my projections. I'll start accumulating a collection of them later and stick with where I think the real value is at this time.

I really wanted McNabb for my 5th round pick, but couldn't pass on Addai because I knew you would take him. I was hoping you would go WR/WR there but wasn't sure, only thing I was sure on was that Gonzalez would be there for my next pick.

As far as the selections at the corner go, there were several QBs who I considered....I think there is quite a bit of value at that position right now and some people are going to steal some guys this round. In the end, I like the fact that McNabb can score in many different ways...and I think he's got something to prove this year after the TO debacle. I look for McNabb to be a solid point producer....

At 5.01, I was a bit frustrated as I had targeted Addai for that spot, but FK picked him up before I could pounce on him. McAllister isn't a super exciting pick, but if Bush were to get hurt or hold out longer term, Deuce could be an enormous value here. He'll still likely be a 15-20 carry guy and will get short yardage touches, so he's a safe, solid #3 RB.

Five rounds, no WRs.....I could have picked one up here, but honestly, I think the next 15 WRs are all pretty even by my projections. I'll start accumulating a collection of them later and stick with where I think the real value is at this time.

I love the McNabb pick, as I grabbed him a few spots earlier in the June Mock. He is true value here, and, in my opinion, for reasons you presented, heads and shoulders above the other Qb's available at this point, as their value tends to run together at this point. Funny year when Manning slips to where he has and the 2nd Qb isn't selected till deep into round 4. This hobby we all partake in sure evolves and changes from year to year.

The Deuce pick is kind of like the C-Mart pick. Tremendous upside, though C-Mart doesn't have quite the competition for the load. You explained your Addai quandry, and why you didn't go Wr here. I can't help but feel you might regret this some. Only time will tell.

I love the McNabb pick, as I grabbed him a few spots earlier in the June Mock. He is true value here, and, in my opinion, for reasons you presented, heads and shoulders above the other Qb's available at this point, as their value tends to run together at this point. Funny year when Manning slips to where he has and the 2nd Qb isn't selected till deep into round 4. This hobby we all partake in sure evolves and changes from year to year.

The Deuce pick is kind of like the C-Mart pick. Tremendous upside, though C-Mart doesn't have quite the competition for the load. You explained your Addai quandry, and why you didn't go Wr here. I can't help but feel you might regret this some. Only time will tell.

Do you honestly feel there are WRs worthy of being picked here? I know some people are high on one guy who is still there, but I'm not at all.

Wide receivers after the top ten or twelve are a dime a dozen. Give me depth at RB or a dynamic TE any day. No regrets here.

Do you honestly feel there are WRs worthy of being picked here? I know some people are high on one guy who is still there, but I'm not at all.

Wide receivers after the top ten or twelve are a dime a dozen. Give me depth at RB or a dynamic TE any day. No regrets here.

:thumbsup:

I guess when you don't have one :ninja:

Agreed - thats why you didn't see me taking a WR there either, I think I know the guy you are talking about. Big name, busted last year. I just can't take his uncertainty at this point and pass on a guy who I know what I will get with Tony G.

Agreed - thats why you didn't see me taking a WR there either, I think I know the guy you are talking about. Big name, busted last year. I just can't take his uncertainty at this point and pass on a guy who I know what I will get with Tony G.

Of course you didn't need a wideout. You have two good ones. The situation is somewhat different for Fumble, and I was just discussing it. I understand your value point of view completely, both you and Fumble.

I guess when you don't have one :ninja:

Let me explain it this way:

If the WR you have projected at #18 is projected for 125 points

And then you go down to WR #30 and he's projected for 115 points......

Why take a WR??

My projections suggest that the next 15-20 WRs are going to all be similar in production this year....therefore, from my perspective, I'd just as soon have the #25 guy as the #18 guy......

It's easy to say you should "balance" out your roster earlier, but I just don't believe that when it comes to wide receivers. Sometimes a stud presents himself early and you take him, but if that doesn't happen, I don't believe in reaching for a wideout when there are 65 or so out there who will produce decent numbers.

Of course you didn't need a wideout. You have two good ones. The situation is somewhat different for Fumble, and I was just discussing it. I understand your value point of view completely, both you and Fumble.

True - but in a league where you start 3 WRs I would love to have that 3rd WR slot filled before my TE position if possible. I'm pretty sure though I can get a similar quality WR at my next pick, but I know the TE quality will drop by then.

Your quote - This hobby we all partake in sure evolves and changes from year to year.

Man I can't remember a year in recent history where this has been more true. So many star players on new teams, emerging and unproven players in starting roles, many rookies from the draft could have an impact on the season - very, very difficult year coming up fantasy wise.

Of course you didn't need a wideout. You have two good ones.

Laughing my butt off......

Fumble, please don't take offense. This is just commentary. This is not any form of judgement. Your record speaks for itself.

Fumble, please don't take offense. This is just commentary. This is not any form of judgement. Your record speaks for itself.

:ninja:

I'm not offended....at all. I thought we were just debating the point. I like a good, hearty debate and I like your points of view. I thought we were having fun with this.......do I seem offended? :thumbsup:

Let me explain it this way:

If the WR you have projected at #18 is projected for 125 points

And then you go down to WR #30 and he's projected for 115 points......

Why take a WR??

My projections suggest that the next 15-20 WRs are going to all be similar in production this year....therefore, from my perspective, I'd just as soon have the #25 guy as the #18 guy......

It's easy to say you should "balance" out your roster earlier, but I just don't believe that when it comes to wide receivers. Sometimes a stud presents himself early and you take him, but if that doesn't happen, I don't believe in reaching for a wideout when there are 65 or so out there who will produce decent numbers.

I've drafted with you enough to know this is how you draft. This is much more Fumblesque then the June Mock. It is much more difficult to draft the team you(meaning all of us) are accustomed to from a late draft positon this season. I can remember many of your commentaries over the years as you nail down your studs at each position then comment on your strategy. Sorry rambling :thumbsup:

I'm not offended....at all. I thought we were just debating the point. I like a good, hearty debate and I like your points of view. I thought we were having fun with this.......do I seem offended? :ninja:

No you don't, but I just don't want to come off wrong. Seems in many drafts you would have fargone the JJ pick and went Stud WR, but I think I might being mixing you up with Megla some. Many parts of your strategies are similar, but I think he is the one who leans towards the Wr's more.

yeah megla plays the VBD card hard, and he always ends up taking his QB extremely high as well as some WRs and waiting on RBs.

ETA - checking a couple things and will pick momentarily. those 4 picks werent at ALL what i expected.

ETA - checking a couple things and will pick momentarily. those 4 picks werent at ALL what i expected.

Good! We gotta keep you on your toes. Fumble and I got together and said let's mess with Bomb's strategy. :-)

Oooo who is bomb going to take now that his strategy has been all discombobulateD?!?! :thumbsdown:

Good! We gotta keep you on your toes. Fumble and I got together and said let's mess with Bomb's strategy. :-)

i actually had the four picks down for 2 RBs and 2 WRs, although i think i realized as i was going to bed at 430 that fumble would definitely draft a QB there. im actually glad to see the RBs going since im set now, but i was expecting you guys to take a couple of the WRs here that i also dont want.

ah, nan is present. sorry, expected with west coast, that i had a few minutes. ok, give me a second to pick between randy moss and daunte culpepper...

I'm about to pick but I have an appointment and will be out for about an hour. I sent Bomb a list for round 5.

i did some quick looking here at my top TEs to see who was valuable, and just how valuable they are. theres another TE that i like a lot and expected to be my pick here as a bit of a shocker, but i compared the numbers with shockey and just like shockey's a lot better.

the thing that i like most about shockey is that he's eli's top target and safety net. so even if eli struggles some this year, it may only mean more looks for shockey. he had 900/7 last year in 15 games while playing a little injured. if he ever stays healthy all season, he'll catch 1000 yards easily and always be close enough to threaten the double digit TDs mark. i actually have him as my #2 TE and not that far behind gates, since i think gates' TDs will drop some this year.

the nice thing with shockey compared to another TE or two that i looked at here is that, any given week, he is a very likely candidate to have a touchdown OR to go off for big yardage. when my opponent is starting jerramy stevens, theres a pretty good chance i'll be getting one of stevens' 30 yards, 0 TDs weeks... so any time shockey either catches a TD or gets big yardage, thats going to gain me 5-10 points at the TE spot.

i think the top TEs continue to be underrated some. a lot of people just count your stud TE as like 750 yards and 6 TDs, and then figure they can take someone like (insert sleeper here) for his 350-400 yards and 4-5 TDs later, along with another such sleeper, and be just as well off. they figure theyve only lost a few hundred yards and a couple TDs. well the fallacy here is double. first of all, if i told you you could have a WR with 1500 yards and 8 TDs instead of one with 1100 yards and 6 TDs, well i bet youd care about that difference after all. and secondly, most people when they have very weak TEs end up experimenting and playing more than one, and inevitably end up missing some of their TEs good weeks / TDs so they dont get that whole total of yardage/TDs. if youre going to wait on a TE, the better strategy is just to get a sleeper that you feel decent about and play him every week of the season. at least then you'll get the season totals at the end.

theres only a handful of TEs who put up points consistently from week to week, and thats the value of taking one high imo. i wouldve been happy with 2 other TEs here as well, but i like shockey the best because hes the most talented and should get the most yardage.

also considered a QB and a WR here.

I'm about to pick but I have an appointment and will be out for about an hour. I sent Bomb a list for round 5.

just got the list and will take care of it. :cry:

erb, still have that long list for you. should i assume you'll take of the pick yourself, or do you want me to use the list?

Let's just say Bomb's pick wasn't Shockeying at all :cry:

A no brainer at this point and I feel the #1 TE in the darft this season :lol: :lol:

yeah, i debated back and forth with TEs here. i knew i didnt want to take one at 4.10 because fumble already had his, and there were 3 guys i had pretty even here (in my mind). once i just did some projections, i found that i actually have 4 guys pretty even here, but that i have shockey easily highest of them and (as you said) actually quite close to gates.

if FK hadnt taken a TE, i was thinking of waiting on TE. there were 6 guys left that i wouldve been happy with as starter, with the last two guys being a slight drop from the first 4. i knew that if i passed on TE (and FK also had), then there would be 6 TEs with 9 teams in between me, and i was pretty sure not all of you would take a TE so i'd get one of my guys. his taking gonzo sorta forced my hand, because it is basically vital to get one of those top few TEs this year, so i had to nab the shockman here.

erb, still have that long list for you. should i assume you'll take of the pick yourself, or do you want me to use the list?

Nah bro I got it for now. I work til 6 today, so I'll be good til then. Thanks!

For comparison purposes only. There are only 3 players gone, at this point in this draft, then were gone in the June Mock.

Shcokey, Walker, C-Mart...........or Shockey, as some of us know him :P

Hmm to early for Mason IMO. He won't put up the TD's to justify that 5.04 spot.

For comparison purposes only. There are only 3 players gone, at this point in this draft, then were gone in the June Mock.

Shcokey, Walker, C-Mart

:P :lol: :lol:

I'll take one of those WRs/

Not the young flashy one but the vet who with Mcnair in the fold, even for say 10 games, could put up very good numbers.

Definitely solid #3 stats, maybe #2.

Shcokey, Walker, C-Mart...........or Shockey, as some of us know him :P

Now 4 with Mason. The two drafts, though different in their makeup, are spooky similar.

Not the young flashy one but the vet who with Mcnair in the fold, even for say 10 games, could put up very good numbers.

Ooo yeah didnt see you had Moss and Ward there. Good 3rd WR then....

hes definitely the WR i considered. hes going to be a guy who gets very solid yardage, and the TDs will be a question mark. if i hadnt taken a TE, or for that matter a backup RB, he wouldve been my pick at either spot. i really like him this year. i actually passed on a WR like ward at 3.3 to take taylor, figuring to take mason at 4.10, but things changed. mason should pass 1100 yards easily, and the TDs will be in the 5-7 range probably. hes a very comfortable choice with mcnair at the helm, and one of the only WRs in this two round span that i actually give a rip about.

I know Shane sent his picks in, but has anyone heard from dan??

I know Shane sent his picks in, but has anyone heard from dan??

no, but i do have shane's picks.

also, i thought you would all be happy to know that i beat the original Super Mario last night in one sitting from start to finish, every level top to bottom. hence why i was up making my pick at 4 this morning.

:lol: :P :lol:

Comments last few picks.

This has become like drafting in a long standing league a bit for me, as I've started to recognize how others draft.

I wanted to go Gonzo in 4th, but was hamstrung at rb and all but gave up on him as knew King or Bomb would take him.

Figure I'd go rb and hope Shockey fell to me...dammit Bomb.

I also thought a couple wrs would be taken by you 3 behind me, leaving Shockey, alas not to be.

I also considered a rb here but too early and curious where he'll fall.

Deuce was about right, thought Cumar was about a rnd early.

Considered Addai in 4th but thought he was a bit early (man that kid is jumping up draft boards), and if it was for a rb3 I likely would have went with him, but just couldn't have a guy who may not be starter (if at all) till mid-season as my #2.

no, but i do have shane's picks.

also, i thought you would all be happy to know that i beat the original Super Mario last night in one sitting from start to finish, every level top to bottom. hence why i was up making my pick at 4 this morning.

:first: :doublethumbsup: :banana:

Damn man, that is one hell of an accomplishment :first:

hes definitely the WR i considered. hes going to be a guy who gets very solid yardage, and the TDs will be a question mark. if i hadnt taken a TE, or for that matter a backup RB, he wouldve been my pick at either spot. i really like him this year. i actually passed on a WR like ward at 3.3 to take taylor, figuring to take mason at 4.10, but things changed. mason should pass 1100 yards easily, and the TDs will be in the 5-7 range probably. hes a very comfortable choice with mcnair at the helm, and one of the only WRs in this two round span that i actually give a rip about.

Mason's numbers last few years, note drop in production with Boller/Wright throwing to him and not Mcnair:

| 2001 ten |  15 |	 0	  0	0.0	0 |	73   1128  15.5	9 |
| 2002 ten |  14 |	 0	  0	0.0	0 |	79   1012  12.8	5 |
| 2003 ten |  16 |	 3	 11	3.7	0 |	95   1303  13.7	8 |
| 2004 ten |  16 |	 1	 -3   -3.0	0 |	96   1168  12.2	7 |
| 2005 bal |  16 |	 0	  0	0.0	0 |	86   1073  12.5	3 |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

Even last year, not bad, and think the years of 1300 are behind him, but to get back to 1150/7-8 and like the pick here.

i realize that cumar was a little early in a non-PPR league, but with RBs flying off the boards, he was basically the only guy left that i felt at all comfortable with, and i like him a lot this year. will have him as my #2 in some leagues this year im sure. anyways, there werent any other RBs i liked close to as much as him, and when you have to wait 20 picks in between, a lot of crap disappears.

anyone seen clash around? everyone else has checked in, so once danzone picks, we could conceivably blitzkreig an entire round.

i realize that cumar was a little early in a non-PPR league, but with RBs flying off the boards, he was basically the only guy left that i felt at all comfortable with, and i like him a lot this year. will have him as my #2 in some leagues this year im sure. anyways, there werent any other RBs i liked close to as much as him, and when you have to wait 20 picks in between, a lot of crap disappears.

anyone seen clash around? everyone else has checked in, so once danzone picks, we could conceivably blitzkreig an entire round.

:doublethumbsup: :banana: :first: Another guy who always appears when needed :first: :P

Why don't you make Shane's pick and start the blitzkreig then?