Sign in to follow this  
Badmojo1006

Flag Burning Amendment - For or Against?

If somebody wants to burn the US Flag, I do not have a problem with it. I would not do it myself, just don't think it is all that effective a protest method. People died defending the Constitution, not the Flag

However, if there was an Amendment, I would seriously consider doing it

Not saying I like it when people burn the flag, but do we really need an amendment to the Constituion, the sacred living document that protects our basic rights and freedoms, to prevent/punish people from burning a flag?

although i don't like and don't want anyone burning the flag, i dont think it is worthy of an amendment

although i don't like and don't want anyone burning the flag, i dont think it is worthy of an amendment

I agree.

But if some nazi skinhead POS burns one around me, it's on :mad:

Assuming that I could take him down, of course :unsure:

If we must have an Amendment,make it police(or anyone in the area with a gun)shoot on sight.

Nice to see proof of the liberals feelings about the Flag of the USA in this thead

:puking:

Nice to see proof of the liberals feelings about the Flag of the USA in this thead

Go away Rusty

The frightening thing about this issue is that it came within 1 vote in the Senate of passing. Then it would have gone to the states, where a simple majority in each state is all that's needed. Virtually every state would have passed it, and this flag "protection" amendment would poison the Constitution.

If I walk into a store and buy a flag, who's flag is it? It's MINE, and no one elses. The government can't punish me for destroying my own property. Where's the victim? Republicans are all about property rights until it comes to the flag. Then suddenly, your flag belongs to everybody. Sounds like Communism to me. Like China, Cuba, and the former Soviet Union - countries that throw flag burners in prison - whaddya know?

oooo, oooo don't look over here. let's make up some bogus amendment

par for the course :thumbsup:

I am generalyl a R and conservative, but if people want to burn the flag I got no problem with it.

We should all be grateful. The politicians are trying protecting us from the dangers of second hand smoke from burning flags.

Our polititians are absolutely worthless. Do we really have a big problem of flag burning in America? When was the last time you actually saw someone burn a flag? This is a disgraceful use of time and money to stir up voters over something meaningless. Every single one of them who voted for this should be kicked out of office.

And here's a thought - YOU DON'T CHANGE THE CONSTITUTION EVERY TIME IT SUITS YOU!!!

"We passed a flag burning law, but it was ruled unconstitutional. So, we'll just change the constitution." :banana:

Why waste one and burn it? Do what I do since George W Bush took office, wipe your ass with it and then hang it back up.

The government can't punish me for destroying my own property. Where's the victim? Republicans are all about property rights until it comes to the flag. Then suddenly, your flag belongs to everybody.
Great argument. I usually look at it as a free speech issue, but you're right, it's as much a property rights issue. :rolleyes:

As said, burning the flag is about the stupidest form of protest imaginable; anyone who might applaud you for it is likely already on your side anyway, and you're going to piss off a whole lot of people in the process. Burning the U.S. flag is a pretty piss poor way of convincing anyone of anything other than that you're an idiot.

There's a shiotload more serious issues facing this country than flag-burning. This kind of crap pixxes me off. It comes up every few years or so as a distraction item. It's like having an amendment in favor of puppies. - Our constitution deserves better than this kind of political fluffery. Politicians know it's a non-issue, but they can use it to distract the voting public and use this in mid-term elections against anyone who votes against it.

I'm against Flag Burning simply because Al Gore told me that the burning of flags is the number one cause of greenhouse gases.

I have to agree with most people here. I have great respect for the flag and I would certainly want to knock the teeth out of someone who desecrated it, but I believe that an Amendment preventing that sort of free speach is not what we are about.

If someone wants to burn a flag, it is more of a reflection on their ignorance. If we outlawed ignorance, then we would not have any of the right wing fascists :rolleyes:

Texas v. Johnson US Sup. Ct. '89

"if there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that the Government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable." :rolleyes:

HTH

It's getting to be about time to vote all these fockers out of government and give someone else a chance. :thumbsdown:

It's getting to be about time to vote all these fockers out of government and give someone else a chance. :thumbsdown:

Term limits is probably one of the best things that we could implement, but are these fockers going to put themselves out of a job? Hell no.

Why stop at burning? What about cutting it up with sissors? What about disolving it in acid? What if someone pours urine on it? If not urine, then what can you pour on it? Tarter sauce? Can you burn a shirt that has a picture of the flag on it? How about a just printed picture of a flag? What if I make the flag myself? Then can I burn it? What if it's not a perfect replica? Then can I burn it?

What a waste of time. :thumbsdown:

I'm an amendment to be

Yes, an amendment to be

And I'm hoping that they'll ratify me

There's a lot of flag burners

Who have got too much freedom

I wanna make it legal

For policemen

To beat 'em

'Cause there's limits to our liberties

'Least I hope and pray that there are

'Cause those liberal freaks go too far.

But why can't we just make a law against flag burning?

Because that law would be unconstitutional. But if we changed the Constitution...

Then we could make all sorts of crazy laws!

Now you're catching on!

But what if they say you're not good enough to be in the Constitution?

Then I'll destroy all opposition to me

And I'll make Ted Kennedy pay

If he fights back

I'll say that he's gay!

Why stop at burning? What about cutting it up with sissors? What about disolving it in acid? What if someone pours urine on it? If not urine, then what can you pour on it? Tarter sauce? Can you burn a shirt that has a picture of the flag on it? How about a just printed picture of a flag? What if I make the flag myself? Then can I burn it? What if it's not a perfect replica? Then can I burn it?

What a waste of time. :thumbsdown:

:wub:

The irony is that burning is considered the proper way to dispose of a flag. So the amendment would either outlaw proper disposal, or it would punish flag burning based solely on the intent of the perpetrator rather than the action itself, which would bring another constitutional issue into the picture, equal protection.

It's all just a show.

The Republitards don't want voters to think about real issues, so they hype up all these fake ones... gay rights amendment, slaming the New York Times, flag burning to distract people from what's going on and try to energize the religious right to turn out to vote for them again.

In 1994, I cheered on the Gingrich revolution and was stoked when the GOP won. I never thought that I would ever want just as badly for the GOP to lose control of congress as I wanted them to take it in '94 and earlier. The GOP has sold it's soul. I don't recognise this party at all.

The irony is that burning is considered the proper way to dispose of a flag. So the amendment would either outlaw proper disposal, or it would punish flag burning based solely on the intent of the perpetrator rather than the action itself, which would bring another constitutional issue into the picture, equal protection.

I wondered about the same thing. If a flag touches the ground, I thought you were supposed to burn it. So if that remains legal, then it's really only illegal to think bad thoughts while burning it? This is insane.

You know this would all be laughable if the proposed amendment didn't come so close to passing. I mean, I can see one or two idiot polititians thinking this was a good idea, but the majority of them actually voted to pass this?!?!? You gotta be kidding me.

It's all just a show.

The Republitards don't want voters to think about real issues, so they hype up all these fake ones... gay rights amendment, slaming the New York Times, flag burning to distract people from what's going on and try to energize the religious right to turn out to vote for them again.

In 1994, I cheered on the Gingrich revolution and was stoked when the GOP won. I never thought that I would ever want just as badly for the GOP to lose control of congress as I wanted them to take it in '94 and earlier. The GOP has sold it's soul. I don't recognise this party at all.

they're drunk on power :thumbsdown:

Congress should get to work on a constitutional ban on gay dating, on the grounds that it could lead to gay marriage.

If we don't stop gay dating, sooner or later people will start dating horses and pigs. Where will it stop!?!

What a waste of time. :banana:

that's a good point, if you pass an amendment then everyone in berkeley would just piss and poop on flags, and it would stink up the joint. not that it makes me angry to see politicians working on an amendment because we all know it'll never pass, and more importantly, if they're working on this, they aren't screwing up the country on more important issues!

besides, if you don't ban burning flags then you can all go buy and burn north korea or iran flags next tuesday. that would be fun!

What a waste of time. :banana:

The Congress shall have power to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States.

That's the full text of the amendment.

Congress is worrying about things not important to the USA? surely you jest. :banana:

;)

That would make flag burning with malicious intent a "hate crime", which Republicans (rightfully) oppose.

Looks like you're on your own on this one. Even the conservatives on this board recognize how foolish this proposed amendment is. Well, most of them anyway.

You can smell the GOP desparation in the air. Grasping at any straw they can to save their butts. It worked in 2004 with the anti gay marriage amendments. I don't see it working this time.

That would make flag burning with malicious intent a "hate crime", which Republicans (rightfully) oppose.

;)

Congress should get to work on a constitutional ban on gay dating, on the grounds that it could lead to gay marriage.

That would seriously cut in to your social life, wouldn't it? ;)

Last election it was gay marriage, this time it's flag burning, next time the GOP will come up another emotionally charged issue to bring out the voters who are too stupid to understand they are being manipulated and have no idea what the real issues are now.

The same group of voters who thought Iraq was responsible for 9-11; undereducated, moralistic poseurs.

Burning the American flag shows a great disrespect for this country.

If you want to burn the flag, just leave the focking country.

simple as that. Bye!