Sign in to follow this  
FF_addict

Tough Keeper Question

So here is the problem, We can keep 3 players in this league. The first two are easy, Caddillac and Chad Johnson. The third keeper is not so easy. Here are the possibilities: Antonio Gates, Chester Taylor, and Kevin Jones. I'm going to eliminate Jones based on the other considerations. Also, I have the second pick in the draft (Bush will in all liklihood be gone).

So do I keep Gates, the hands down best player at the position. Or do I keep Chester Taylor, who in his situation could be a top 15 RB possibly higher behind that line? Given the lineup (3 RB starters if you choose) I think you have to go with Taylor, right.

I won't even start with the Addai, D. Williams, Maroney draft choice. I'll wait till TC starts... (Although I am leaning towards the Addai hype machine). Plus I know I am going to have a shot at Harrison, Moss, or Fitz at the #2 pick. (One guy has all three and Manning so ... He is dying at RB though)

I'd like to have 3 quality RB to start the season, but at the expense of Gates? I doubt he would be there at the end of round two.

Roster Positions: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, RB/WR, TE, K, DEF

Passing

Yards: 25 yards per point

Touchdowns (6)

Interceptions (-2)

Rushing

Yards: 10 yards per point

Touchdowns (6)

Recieving

Yards: 10 yards per point

Touchdowns (6)

2-Point Conversions (2)

Fumbles Lost (-2)

Any suggestions/discussions would be greatly appreciated.....

I go with the RB in this case but i dont know why your totally taking KJ out of the question because i would probably keep him over Taylor

I would keep Gates- the best TE, over a #2 or 3 runningback. You have the 2nd pick and could pick up a decent back at that spot.

I'm not knocking KJ by any means. On the other hand I think the problems with Detroit stems farther than just the coach and that they haven't significantly upgraded anywhere offensively to help with Jones production. Anybody that says QB was significantly upgraded has a different view of significant than me. I think KJ will have a better year than last, I am just tempted too much on the potential of Chester.

Also , RB are at a premium in this league (surprise, surprise) and I doubt that one will fall back into the draft. If one does, I will of course consider him.

You have some flexibility since you have the #2 pick. Gates and Taylor both have question marks going into the season. How will Gates be affected with Rivers at the helm of the offense and how will Taylor be used in Minnesota by a new coaching staff with Mewelde and Fason in the mix? Personally, I think there is less risk involved with Gates. I also agree with you letting KJones go, he doesn't have enough value to make one of your keepers.

The game you have to play here is deciding what the guy with the #1 pick will do. If you release Taylor, do you think the guy with the #1 pick would take him or would Taylor be available to you at #2? Same question with Gates. A core of Caddy, Taylor, CJohnson, and Gates would set you up for a good year. On the turn you can pick up another WR and either a high potential rookie RB or QB.

You have some flexibility since you have the #2 pick. Gates and Taylor both have question marks going into the season. How will Gates be affected with Rivers at the helm of the offense and how will Taylor be used in Minnesota by a new coaching staff with Mewelde and Fason in the mix? Personally, I think there is less risk involved with Gates. I also agree with you letting KJones go, he doesn't have enough value to make one of your keepers.

The game you have to play here is deciding what the guy with the #1 pick will do. If you release Taylor, do you think the guy with the #1 pick would take him or would Taylor be available to you at #2? Same question with Gates. A core of Caddy, Taylor, CJohnson, and Gates would set you up for a good year. On the turn you can pick up another WR and either a high potential rookie RB or QB.

So I know that the guy with the first pick is going to go Bush. Granted that could all be a show, but I don't think he is that subtle. Chester would be available to me with the second pick. I guess it boils down to if I think the advantage Gates gives me over another top player at the position (WR) or a rookie that may be a future keeper. I know I could snag a good TE later in the draft (Shockey/Gonzalez won't be kept and going off years past they would be available at pick #2 for me).

Gates offers much safer production. Kevin Jones offers some good upside potential. I would stay away from Taylor, as his usage isn't really written in stone, or his abililty to handle the load should it be presented to him.

Thanks for the advice. :mad:

Its good to hear it presented from different sides. I guess its more that I want to believe that Tayor will be the next Lamont Jordan.

Its so tempting since Minnesota has actively tried to improve their offense and their offensive line, it seems like they are dedicated to running the ball this year. But its true that you want to see it before you believe it. Its just that we had a very similiar situation in Oakland last year with Jordan and I want another player with that success

You'll end up protecting Taylor and in Week 3 Ciatrick Fason will be the starter in MIN. Stay away from that! Kevin Jones has been annointed "THE GUY" by Martz and will play on all situations this year.

However...I do think you keep Gates here, draft Fitzgerald, and try and get a K. Jones or another RB in Round 2. (Droughns, C. Martin, FWP type guys.)

Good Luck!

You'll end up protecting Taylor and in Week 3 Ciatrick Fason will be the starter in MIN. Stay away from that! Kevin Jones has been annointed "THE GUY" by Martz and will play on all situations this year.

However...I do think you keep Gates here, draft Fitzgerald, and try and get a K. Jones or another RB in Round 2. (Droughns, C. Martin, FWP type guys.)

Good Luck!

I agree with everything said here.

The news out of Minnesota so far as been all bad for Chester Taylor from what I've read. Keep Gates. Try to get a #3 RB later...