Sign in to follow this  
biglou

Running Back Discussion

I've been seeing a lot of mock drafts and reading a lot of articles about the lack of depth at running back. There are some teams that will be splitting carries between proven vets (i.e. Baltimore with Lewis and Anderson) and a lot of teams splitting between a questionable number one and rookies (i.e. NO with Duece and Bush, Indy with Rhodes and Addai, NE with Dillon and Maroney,,,, the list goes on). Furthermore there are some backs that will be considered their team's number one but haven't proven themselves or are injury prone. (i.e. Taylor in Minnesota, Davis in Houston, Foster in Carolina) My dilema is this, should people start building teams around WR's. Will a top teir WR's see their value rise in relation to top teir RBs? Should people look towards a draft strategy like RB, WR, WR, RB in rounds 1 through 4 instead of RB, RB, WR, WR? I still subscribe to the thought that RB's are still the most valuable commodity and that their scaricty makes them more valuable. Comments and points are always welcome and please leave a link and I'll respond to yours.

My personal question is this. I'm in a 10 team, 3-man keeper league. We aren't required to keep anyone. In essence each keeper you have counts as that round's pick. I have SA, Edge, and Lamont Jordan slated as my keepers. I'm thinking of drafting the best WR's in each of the next 3 rounds (barring Peyton Manning or Antonio Gates falling into my lap) Will there be anyone left to build a team with, or should I look to more Edge or Jordan for a topflite WR? If I keep all three players and I draft in the last spot, I won't have a pick until 40 which leaves me looking at someone like S. Moss, L. Coles, or T. Glenn as my number 1 WR. Anyway thanks for the information and I'll help you out as much as I can.

I think you always want killer RBs over killer wideouts.

Think about it - the best RBs these days break 20 TDs a year, occasionally 2000 yards per season, etc. Receivers just don't come close. You'll also find as you go back 5 or 10 people deep that the drop off in stats between RBs and WRs are the same. (the fifth best RB will still do better than the fifth best WR).

I've been seeing a lot of mock drafts and reading a lot of articles about the lack of depth at running back. There are some teams that will be splitting carries between proven vets (i.e. Baltimore with Lewis and Anderson) and a lot of teams splitting between a questionable number one and rookies (i.e. NO with Duece and Bush, Indy with Rhodes and Addai, NE with Dillon and Maroney,,,, the list goes on). Furthermore there are some backs that will be considered their team's number one but haven't proven themselves or are injury prone. (i.e. Taylor in Minnesota, Davis in Houston, Foster in Carolina) My dilema is this, should people start building teams around WR's. Will a top teir WR's see their value rise in relation to top teir RBs? Should people look towards a draft strategy like RB, WR, WR, RB in rounds 1 through 4 instead of RB, RB, WR, WR? I still subscribe to the thought that RB's are still the most valuable commodity and that their scaricty makes them more valuable. Comments and points are always welcome and please leave a link and I'll respond to yours.

My personal question is this. I'm in a 10 team, 3-man keeper league. We aren't required to keep anyone. In essence each keeper you have counts as that round's pick. I have SA, Edge, and Lamont Jordan slated as my keepers. I'm thinking of drafting the best WR's in each of the next 3 rounds (barring Peyton Manning or Antonio Gates falling into my lap) Will there be anyone left to build a team with, or should I look to more Edge or Jordan for a topflite WR? If I keep all three players and I draft in the last spot, I won't have a pick until 40 which leaves me looking at someone like S. Moss, L. Coles, or T. Glenn as my number 1 WR. Anyway thanks for the information and I'll help you out as much as I can.

Assuming thirty players are being kept which in most cases will represent somewhere around 16 backs, 8 WR's, 3-4 QB's and 3-4 TE's you should be able to develop a realistic idea as to who will be available in the pool of draftable players. Your leagues scoring rules will have a lot to do with this (ppr? TD values? bonus points? etc.) as well as starting line up requirements (# of RB's? # of WR's? flex? etc.). What gives you the best opportunity for creating a starting line up of the most consistently high scoring players by position? As good as it is to have a solid RB to cover bye weeks, etc. does it create more scoring for you on a weekly basis than a starting player from another position?

Here is what I would do-

Keep-

Jordan

James

Alexander

I would plan on starting Alexander and Jordan throughout the season as my 1 and 2 guys. I would also look at bye weeks (Jordan-3, James-9, Alexander-5). My advice would be to keep James through week 6 to cover Jordan and Alexander’s bye weeks and then work a trade for WR’s. It is a bit risky, injuries and performance issues could hurt value, but it could also help.

Depending on who is available at pick #40, you may be able to snag a good #2 back to cover the byes and unload James early which will cause great value Also look at arranging trades for picks (if allowed in your league) before the draft.

I personally think that Corey Dillon will fall dramatically this year in most keeper drafts (4th-5th round) and he WILL put the ball in the end zone. Just make sure you pick up Maroney to cover the injuries. Don’t get burned like all those guys last year that drafted Priest and didn’t get LJ early enough. You’ll feel like a real dip s#*t…trust me!

Good Luck!

My league puts a lot of emphasis on RB and/or Wr. We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 2 DEF, 1 RB/WR, 1 WR/TE. As you can see we are able to start 3 backs and 3 WRs each week or 2 backs and 4 WRs. Not many people start more than 1 TE unless you're like my last year. I had Cooley, Watson, and Kinney. It is a ppr league so Jordan's value drops slightly and Alexander's value rises slightly. The league has standard scoring, 4pt passing TD, 6pt rushing/recieving TD, 1pt 50 passing yd, 1pt 20 rushing/recieving yd.

I understand what you're saying about the 5th WR being outperformed by the 5th RB. My point is this, I think its possible that people will be hoarding WR's because the RB performace will drop substantially once you out of the top 10 to 15. I think people might start looking toward 4 WR line-ups instead of the 3 RB and 3 WR. Maybe my concerns are unfounded, but I'm getting a little antsy with the prospect of Coles as my number 1 reciever. Thanks for the input guys, as always leave your link and I'll help you as best as I can.