Sign in to follow this  
delusional247

Trading picks for players

Edit: Wondering how keeper leagues go about trading players for draft picks.

In our league, we keep our roster up until the draft, where we decide our keepers.

So how do you go about trading players?

For instance CJ is on the block and tagged a 3rd rounder. The owner wants a 3rd rounder in return. From what I can see, this won't work because the person trading for CJ wants to keep him, he loses his 3rd rounder, but he has no 3rd round pick since he traded it in order to get CJ.

Catch my drift?

Thats a question for your commish. I would think its not an issue this year since you traded for him.

If you are doing a draft in person (which I recommend whenever possible) it's easy. The player trading 'taway CJ picks twice in the 3rd round and the player trading his pick doesn't draft in the 3rd and you fix the rosters after the draft.

If you are using an automated draft, it is a little different.

The easiest solution is to have the person trading away his 3rd round pick go ahead and draft a 3rd round player, but he drafts the player that the person trading CJ wants. After the draft they trade players. This would work similar to the Chargers drafting Eli Manning and then trading him to the Giants.

Then he should lose the second round pick.

In the leagues that I am commissioner we don't allow trading players for picks. I want some good talent to end up back in the draft. With trading that might not happen. One guy has Larry Johnson and Shaun Alexander. Now one of them is back in the draft. If he could have traded him he would have gotten another 1st round pick and that would give him an advantage I would prefer him not to have.

You can trade picks for picks.