Sign in to follow this  
mattxweltner

Pick #7

12 team, standard scoring.

I'm hoping against hope that people ahead of me pick peyton and/or WRs so clinton portis falls to me, but obviously that isn't likely. How do you guys rate the second half of the first round?

Right now mine looks like this, but i've got skepticism about a lot of them. What do you guys think?

6. Rudi Johnson (defenses might crowd the box with Palmer coming back from injury)

7. Edgerrin James (cardinals suck)

8. Steven Jackson (unproven, rumors about toughnessissues)

9. Manning (i'm not taking him in the first)

10. Lamont Jordan (we're *not* a PPR league, does his recieving + moss spreading out the defense bump him up to my pick? i don't think so...)

11. Ronnie Brown (i like him a lot, but taking him at 7 feels like a reach. thoughts?)

12. Carnell Williams (same as ronnie, but with some durablity issues)

I know this might be better suited to the help board, but (1) this board gets more traffic and responses, and (2) i think it could help lots of people picking later.

Thanks in advance.

I think you gotta go Ronnie Brown or StJax here. Not much down side to Ronnie Brown. you know he's gettin 300+ carries and goalline. StJax has injury issues but upside. I had Priest and Rudi last year and Priest went down...countin on Rudi as your #1 was real tough until late in the season. I like Jordan at your spot, too...he's gonna get his yards. Edge scares me cuz that team scored 2 rushing TDs all last year....and no way I take a QB in the 1st. Caddy is early 2nd or later in the 1st.

go with your gut.

It sounds like your gut says Ronnie Brown, but because all the cheat sheets and websites have him ranked below some of the guys you mentioned, you're afraid you'd be "reaching". You know what? Screw that. There's no reason whatsoever to think that Ronnie can't be a top 5 back this year, and it would surprise no one if he is. He's finally got a competent QB under center along with a talented receiver in Chambers and solid TE in McMichael, so teams won't feel compelled to crowd the box...furthermore, he's not only fast but strong enough to shed tackles...the only real question mark (and it's not a minor one), is the offensive line... but look what Hudson Houck did in San Diego with a bunch of spare parts?

soo all this to say is...go with Ronnie if that's who you want to go with. Even if people laugh and snicker when you take him over SJax or Jordan or whoever the magazines say you're supposed to take, you'll be the one laughing at them at the end of the season...

plus, while of course it's always better to be right, it's better to go with your gut and be wrong then to follow the magazines ranking, take who you "should" pick, and be wrong.

frankly, I have the 5th pick and 6th picks in my fantasy leagues and am strongly considering Ronnie in both leagues, even though I rather not put all my fantasy eggs in his basket...

I agree, I'd go with SJax or Ronnie Brown, both young and healthy and no competition. OTher guys all have issues, in my opinion.

With that said, in my draft last weekend, I picked S Alexander at 1 and was so lucky to have Ronnie Brown still available at the end of the second round, where I grabbed him. Lots of people picking QB's and WR's in the 1st/2nd rounds.

Rudi. bengals have one of the best O-Lines in football, and plenty of weapons on the outside to keep the defenses honest, regardless of who is playing QB.

Rudi. bengals have one of the best O-Lines in football, and plenty of weapons on the outside to keep the defenses honest, regardless of who is playing QB.

Hmmm... Not with Anthony Wright or Doug Johnson at QB they dont

yeah, my gut definitely says steven jackson or ronnie. but neither of them has a real solid OLine, and rudi johnson has been flying under the radar and putting up really solid numbers for a long time. if palmer is 100% rudi'd be my pick hands down, and everything I'm reading about carson's recovery is super positive.

i'm driving myself bonkers with this stuff.

thanks for all the imput, keep it coming. also there is a thread a couple posts down about the #6 pick's second round, I really enjoy reading opinions about the stuff that can't be predicted that well.

I say you have to go with:

Edge ( The colts weren't the only reason this guy has been a consistant top 10 rb)

Rudi (Passed years he has been underrated and I think Palmer will be back to normal)

S Jax

Brown (Had a good rookie year but a pot head stole a lot of carries from him last year. A talented pot head at the least but a pot head)

I think Jordan is the safest pick below are my rankings.

Jordan, LaMont

Brown, Ronnie

Jackson, Steven

James, Edgerrin

Johnson, Rudi

Williams, Cadillac

If you like someone go and get him if you don't think you can get him in the next round. Don't worry if everyone else thinks it's a reach.

Ronnie! no brainer

good d, so they stay in games and when they are ahead they'll run with him to wind down the clock. Has other weapons like pepper, and chambers so they wont be stacking the line, plus they have an above average offensive line. The only knock on him is, that he plays a tough schedule

Depending on when your draft is, it would be nice if you could wait until after the 3rd preseason game when Palmer is supposed to play.

I think Jordan is the safest pick below are my rankings.

Jordan, LaMont

Brown, Ronnie

Jackson, Steven

James, Edgerrin

Johnson, Rudi

Williams, Cadillac

Strength of Schedule 32 = toughest - based on this I'd say Edge or Ronnie Brown.

Jordan, LaMont 27

Brown, Ronnie 8

Jackson, Steven 26

James, Edgerrin 5

Johnson, Rudi 32

Williams, Cadillac 28

I have the 5th pick in my draft and assuming that Portis is gone, I'm leaning toward S. Jackson. Still not sure what to do though.

Don't forget, Ronnie has the strength of schedule gods smiling on him come weeks 14-16. :dunno:

NE is tough, but Buffalo and the Jets may give him the overall edge in a non-PPR league over SJ and his lineup of Chicago, Oakland :cry: and Washington or Edge and his run of Seattle, Denver and SF.

if this is a keeper league, I like Ronnie Brown hands down.

otherwise, It's a tossup between him and Rudi Johnson.

Rudi is like money in the bank, but Ronnie brown has the looks of a player who will explode. all the potential is in that offense.

1) a good enough QB so that teams cant stack the box like they did last year.

2) more playing time. Remember Brown wasnt even the starter for a fair portion of last season and still got close to 1000 yards rushing. This number has to go up.

3) an improved team overall means more goal line carries (and more TD's)

I think hes a cant miss pick who may have more upside that Rudi.... but I would say go with your gut.

Go with your gut. Search for my thread on "expert rankings". I've found that only 4-5 of the players ranked in the Top 10 in their position before the season, actually end up in the Top 10 at the end of the season. However, 7-8 of the final Top 10 players were ranked in the Top 15, before the season. So that says players ranked 11-15 usually end up being Top 10 players. Who's to know which ones? So pick from the Top 15 with your gut, and don't dwell on the actual order of the rankings at this point. It's all a crapshoot.

I am not sold on Edge or Jordan this year at all..

I would say its between Brown, Jackson, and Johnson.. Sounds like a law firm..lol

I would rate them:

Rudi

Brown

Jackson

Remember injuries can happen at anytime and it depends on the QB.. All three QB's have question marks.

I think right around this time last year we were all talking about Kevin Jones in the same manner as we are talking about Ronnie Brown. I know Ronnie Brown has alot of upside but so did Kevin Jones last year. I would go with the more expirenced back in the first round S.Jax or Rudi. Then in the second you can go with upside back.

I think right around this time last year we were all talking about Kevin Jones in the same manner as we are talking about Ronnie Brown. I know Ronnie Brown has alot of upside but so did Kevin Jones last year. I would go with the more expirenced back in the first round S.Jax or Rudi. Then in the second you can go with upside back.

Very good point :banana:

Comparing the Lions of last year with the Dolphins of this year? Why exactly? Because of Harrington? Where are the parallels? The Lions came into last season with a lame duck QB and coach. The Dolphins are coming into THIS season having won their last 6 games of the previous season, and with a coach who knows what he's doing and has his team moving forward. Dont get caught up in blindly comparing two teams that have nothing in common, and as a result start comparing RBs that have little in common.

i have the same delima ronnie brown or sjax, either one i take im sure to get rudi on the way back, but i also could get a top 5 wideout..a week ago it was hands down sjax just on his schedule but the gap between sjax and r.brown is closing..

IMHO - SJAX - top "top 5 WR" is not equal in value to a "top 5 RB". Brown is a safe pick....but I like Jackson.