Sign in to follow this  
ppierce

Thoughts on Kornheiser?

Awful, simply awful. Love him on PTI but he's struggling on MNF. Almost, gulp, Dennis Miller esque. He's throwing jokes out there that Theisman doesn't even know how to respond to.

Just like you, I love him on PTI. I was expecting him to do just as good......but its not a good fit. There seems to be some tension between Joe Theisman and Tony Korn, esp when Tony wont shut up so Joe cant get a word in edge-wise. The jokes are bad and too many at that. God I miss John Madden and Al, I love that MNF.......

it seems like mike T is the #1 commentator on the depth chart, kornheiser is the #2 and thiesman is the #3.

:dunno:

thiesman should be the #2.....he has more experience at this. it pretty sad that his name has to be said by mike t before he speaks....cuz when mike says anything general, tony always jumps in.

these guys have no rhythm.....i miss the old crew also.

I think it sounds 100x better than the last group. Those guys drove me nuts--I had to mute the TV. All they did was bicker back and forth with eachother the entire game. I couldn't stand listening to them during a replay challange. I felt like they thought I was watching the game to listen to them instead of watching it because I wanted to see football.

MNF is must see TV for me this year, just so I can be there when Theisman blows up at Kornheiser. It will happen and it will be ugly. Kornheiser is doing the talking head job, arguing like he's on PTI. From that perspective it is a nonsensical hire. But the unintentional comedy will increase proportional to Theisman's irritation. He's obviously not used to a guy in his booth badgering him with stuff like, "Did I just hear you say a guy running a bed and breakfast is more NFL ready than Joe Gibbs?" Considering how often Theisman says something stupid, there should be plenty of yuks all season. At least until the melt down.

these guys are weak, WEAK. Are you serious we aren't getting Patrick this year? I don't care about McGuire, but are you serious, these 3 are it? OH MY GOD, they are without a doubt the worst CREW I have ever heard, It's embarrassing.

Maybe with a better play by play guy they might be tolerable. But Mike Tirico is just plain AWFUL!!! An exciting play sounds about the same as Tiger sinking a 3 footer. :P

I dont like this group all the much either and I figured what we got tonight is about all we are going to get out of tony. I am glad to see that he actually voices his opinions when joe says something stupid. joe talks to fill air time and this is about it. while making an arguement joe goes back and forth on which side he wants to be on or will go down the middle of the road until someone else in the booth makes a point and then agrees with them. I dont think he has a brain or his own thoughts he just says vague announcer comments all game. He drives me nuts. tony is the man on pti and is great at sports talk radio but just not cut out for the the booth......it does take a different kind of person to call the game and tony just doesnt do it for me. I am hoping however that tony will continue to call out joe on stupid comments.

MNF is going to be hilarious this year. TK and JT are going to be on good behavior until they get comfortable say week 5 when the ridicule of JT by TK just becomes unbarable for JT and they will be arguing all game because TK will be making so much fun of JT for his bonehead comments.

Say what you will about the other ESPN crew....when I was on the computer in the other room...and the Sunday night game was on....when Mike Patrick started getting excited and raising his voice....I stopped everything I was doing in the other room...and glanced (sometimes raced) to the living room to watch.

I like two man booths. With 3 there is always a weird dynamic, someone gets left out.

Ideal booth: Marino or Aikman and Bob Costas. I don't need these fricken comedians, get me some guys that can goof around and know a ton about football. And shut up on occassion, you don't need to talk every second of the god damn game.

Theisman wouldn't understand a knock knock joke.

:P :lol: :lol:

I think Kornheiser doing great for a preseason game. Give him a chance

I like Tony K. We know what to expect from him. No fluff, just an honest educated opinion and observations. Joe still belongs on Thursdays.

What can be improved IMO is the "play by play". Its what makes MNF entertaining!!! I like Mike T. as a commentator, but not "play by play". :wall:

Get it right next time!

I like two man booths. With 3 there is always a weird dynamic, someone gets left out.

The three man booth worked once, but there will never be another Howard Cosell.

Ideal booth: Marino or Aikman and Bob Costas.

I'm with ya on Marino and Aikman, but Costas as the ideal play by play guy?? Seems a little too scholarly and prim and proper to me. Of course maybe the fact that I just don't like him influences my opinion!! :wall:

JT was obviously getting frustrated because he likes to babble incessantly about nothing or the obvious. Tony shut him up for the most part and for that alone I will be forever grateful. Hope he breaks JT's other leg before mid season.

I'm with ya on Marino and Aikman, but Costas as the ideal play by play guy?? Seems a little too scholarly and prim and proper to me. Of course maybe the fact that I just don't like him influences my opinion!! :cheers:

I can feel ya on Costas, but he was the only one that came to mind. I think Marino is great, as is Aikman, either one of these guys works for me. They know the game inside and out, though I think Dan has a better sense of humor compared to Troy.

:lol:

Sorry, it's scientifically impossible to miss Patrick and Paul "I'ma tell you what" Maguire. :sleep: I looked it up.

Let me tell you something. Here, watch this.

Knock knock..

Joe "who's there?"

Lawrence

Joe "Lawrence who?"

Lawrence I tailored your knee

Say what you will about the other ESPN crew....when I was on the computer in the other room...and the Sunday night game was on....when Mike Patrick started getting excited and raising his voice....I stopped everything I was doing in the other room...and glanced (sometimes raced) to the living room to watch.

You must have been running back and forth around your house all night.

You just can't get anymore annoying than Patrick/Theismann/and Maguire were together. Period. Anything else is a step in the right direction. I'll never forget the final game of the season that those 3 eeeediots called when Jamaal Lewis had a chance to break the single season rushing record. They were actually giddy because they thought Jamaal was going to do it and THEY were going to be part of it. Jamaal this. Jamaal that. If the game goes to OT, Jamaal might get the record!!!!!! Oh my god, I'm going to cream myself! No you won't Joe, and I'm gonna tell you why. Watch this!!!

Bottom line....Kornheiser doesn'thave enough experience to "suck" yet. But, Theisman is absolutely horrible...get him out of there. I think Kornheiser can learn and find out a niche with the show...but Theisman is just horrible. He is so standoffish and egotistical. But, you are right Kornheiser did struggle but I think HE will get better.

You just can't get anymore annoying than Patrick/Theismann/and Maguire were together. Period. Anything else is a step in the right direction.
I concur 100% on this one. McGuire and Theisman busted each others chops pretty good which was fun, but Patrick had lost it completely. It was like having that old fat WWE announcer that doesn't move his lips when he talks announcing. The one with the hat...I have no idea what his name is...probably Jim Bob or something. My point is that he made more mistakes last season, especially near the end than I have ever seen and I couldn't stand it anymore. Horrid.

Considering it was the first time out there as a group I thought they did good. They had a few decent goofy jokes and there were no casualties. I mean if no one dies you have to call it a success at some level. I do think that Tony did drift into PTI mode a little, especially on the opening kickoff fumble, he was pretty harsh. But after that it was good enough to not make me angry.

Atleast everyone of them bring something to the table that is constructive.

Awful, simply awful. Love him on PTI but he's struggling on MNF. Almost, gulp, Dennis Miller esque. He's throwing jokes out there that Theisman doesn't even know how to respond to.

i agree...tough to listen to.

Kornhieser is all about spontinaeity and he had none last night. He was 2 beats late with everything and acted like a deer in the headlights most of the time. He needs the pre-season more than the players.

Considering the fact that Patrick, McGuire (chringe as I type his name) and Theisman (second cringe) recorded 8 of the 10 worst conversations in the history of mankind, it had to improve.

With that said, I'm not sure Kornheiser is going to work. What he really wants is to debate and discuss certain aspects but this isn't the best forum for that. Last night he threw out a few things (Oakland passing on Leinart) and Theisman made one of his usual inane comments.... with almost no reply from Kornheiser. I think Tony realizes that he either has to keep his opinions tame or call Theisman out for the moron he is. Don't know if he will do that but if he does he'll become a superhero to all non total morons.

Those are just my thoughts. You may disagree. Then again, you may be a total moron. It's difficult to say. :pointstosky:

Theisman is a tool! I couldn't stand that whole crew from ESPN. Tony was shakey, but I still think he was the best out of the three. What really sucks is they are now on Monday Night!

Considering the fact that Patrick, McGuire (chringe as I type his name) and Theisman (second cringe) recorded 8 of the 10 worst conversations in the history of mankink, it had to improve.

With that said, I'm not sure Kornheiser is going to work. What he really wants is to debate and discuss certain aspects but this isn't the best forum for that. Last night he threw out a few things (Oakland passing on Leinart) and Theisman made one of his usual inane comments.... with almost no reply from Kornheiser. I think Tony realizes that he either has to keep his opinions tame or call Theisman out for the moron he is. Don't know if he will do that but if he does he'll become a superhero to all non total morons.

Those are just my thoughts. You may disagree. Then again, you may be a total moron. It's difficult to say. :pointstosky:

That is the same impression I got out of that conversation.

No you won't Joe, and I'm gonna tell you why. Watch this!!!

I tagged them the 'watch what he does' gang. Has civilization really devolved into this. Watching three total butt reaming morons review a play by saying "watch what he does". No insight. No clever comments. Just simply "watch what he does". Uh, fellas, you are on TELEVISION! Of course we're watching. If not it they would call it the RADIO. Halfway through last season I had to stop "watching" Sunday night games unless my FFL match was on the line. I sincerely believe that saved my sanity... if only temporarily.

I agree - not only that, but when they did manage to not step all over each other, it sounded like they were in a 3 hour argument. Or if they agreed with each other, it was a sloppy :clap:-fest.

That was painful. MNF went from the best to the worst just like that. I agree - awful. It was a headache listening to those guys. And I'm not a big Theisman guy, but I don't like hearing anyone get stepped on again and again - this isn't Tony's regular gig, it's not a contest to hear who can out-shout whom...

I'll be watching on mute with the radio up from now on. ;)

I tagged them the 'watch what he does' gang. Has civilization really devolved into this. Watching three total butt reaming morons review a play by saying "watch what he does". No insight. No clever comments. Just simply "watch what he does". Uh, fellas, you are on TELEVISION! Of course we're watching. If not it they would call it the RADIO. Halfway through last season I had to stop "watching" Sunday night games unless my FFL match was on the line. I sincerely believe that saved my sanity... if only temporarily.

:(

Sorry, it's scientifically impossible to miss Patrick and Paul "I'ma tell you what" Maguire. ;) I looked it up.

I agree, Watching the Mcguire/Theisman combo all those years was just brutal!! watching them fight eachother to get in the locker room at halftime to service all those players was distgusting.

Does it really matter who is calling the game. As huge FF Geeks and football fans, we think we know more then the commentators anyways. It wouldn't matter to me if three masculine dykes with manly voices called the game. As long as you have a football game on and a mute button, life becomes good again.

MNF is must see TV for me this year, just so I can be there when Theisman blows up at Kornheiser. It will happen and it will be ugly. Kornheiser is doing the talking head job, arguing like he's on PTI. From that perspective it is a nonsensical hire. But the unintentional comedy will increase proportional to Theisman's irritation. He's obviously not used to a guy in his booth badgering him with stuff like, "Did I just hear you say a guy running a bed and breakfast is more NFL ready than Joe Gibbs?" Considering how often Theisman says something stupid, there should be plenty of yuks all season. At least until the melt down.

:P :clap: :clap:

I wanted to e-mail Tony Tony Tony all night long and tell him to jump off the roof of the Metrodome.

Theisman will kill him before the year is over. :D