Sign in to follow this  
Zap

Free Agency and Waiver Rules

Somewhere around here is a discussion of this topic and why we use the following settings. I know the topic can be hotly debated and many different systems are preferred. I wanted to post this now so everyone understands this is a little more aggressive than most systems. I'm not going to write up the reasons for that, but I am interested in a discussion if some of you think this needs improving.

Goider's Settings

Free Agent Deadlines

During the preseason, league members are allowed to make their own free agent acquisitions:

Always

During the regular season, league members are allowed to make their own free agent acquisitions:

Always

Dropped Player (when a dropped player becomes available for pickup)

During the preseason, dropped player becomes available: Immediately

During the regular season, dropped player becomes available: 24 hours after player is dropped.

Claims

The following is a list of your league's weekly deadline(s) to submit your claims request:

Tuesday at 11:59p EST

Waivers

Requests made for players on the waiver wire are awarded to the highest ranking team. Team rankings are established each Tuesday morning. Your league is set to rank teams using the following criteria:

First Criteria: Worst to First, Win % (Season)

Second Criteria: Worst to First, Points Scored (Season)

Third Criteria: Worst to First, Points Scored (Last Week)

Fourth Criteria: Virtual Coin Toss

Teams are moved to the end of the ranking order when they are awarded a player.

Teams can add unlimited player(s) per week using the waiver wire system.

Players will immediately go to the waiver wire for 24 hours after player has been dropped.

If a player's waiver processing date/time is set to occur after the player's game for the week has started, the league is set to: Skip the waiver wire and make the player a Free Agent now.

These are aggressive settings, meaning it is a free agency free for all after 24 hours of waivers, dropped players are immediately available if their next game is a day away. It was my goal to make the league deep enough so that free agency is a challenge, but create a system loose enough to reward the most active members for quick grabs. It hasn't been an issue other than one complaint from an owner who is no longer with us. Mostly, I thought this was worth reviewing for the league vets (since most of us are in a few leagues), and important to highlight for the league noobs.

Since it is a free for all except for the 24 waiver period for dropped players, when does the waiver request deadline (11:59pm Tues) come into play? Only for players dropped between 11:59pm Mon and the Tuesday deadline?

Since it is a free for all except for the 24 waiver period for dropped players, when does the waiver request deadline (11:59pm Tues) come into play? Only for players dropped between 11:59pm Mon and the Tuesday deadline?

The free for all is from that time until five minutes before each player's game. They all lock and the automated waiver system sets priority for one day after the Monday nighter.