Sign in to follow this  
Ritchings

Gates in the Second!?!?

Thoughts?

If he puts up double digit TD's and 1,000 yads again it's like having a great number 2 WR at a seperate spot where you can still get that production with another WR. Where is he going for you?

Thoughts?

If he puts up double digit TD's and 1,000 yads again it's like having a great number 2 WR at a seperate spot where you can still get that production with another WR. Where is he going for you?

:lol: I can only hope someone in my league calls his name out in the 2nd right after the numbnuts who always calls out Michael Vick in the 2nd. Then I can do a double :( dance!

:lol: I can only hope someone in my league calls his name out in the 2nd right after the numbnuts who always calls out Michael Vick in the 2nd. Then I can do a double :( dance!

Second round in a TE required league would not be that crazy. I would probably wait until the third, but he is probable to be the number one tight end, almost assuredly will be top three, and absolutely gauranteed to be in the top five. That can't be said for anyone else past round one.

sounds like a great plan. go ahead and make a play on the best defense in the 3rd, and then pick up the best kicker in the 4th - you'll roll. :(

Thoughts?

slight flaw in this theory:

if you are taking him in the 2nd round with the hopes of getting "great WR2" performance, you would be passing up a WR1 to do it.

so you'd be taking Gates over Holt, Harrison, Fitz, maybe Owens and other #1 WRs.

Gates is a stud, but since getting him in the 10th 2 years ago, I stay far away. His actual value isn't close to his perceived value/ADP.

If you can take him towards the end of the 3rd I think he's a great pickup, and worth waiting a few picks for your WR1or RB2 (depending on your draft to that point). but taking him over a bonnafied stud WR is ill advised.

One man's opinion.

I will never get Gates because he'll go before too many wr's that I'd take ahead of him....

Chambers

R. Williams

R. Wayne

S. Moss

These guys have all shown that they can put up freakish numbers.....OK maybe not Roy......yet.

My primary league has a fairly unique scoring system. We award 1 pt for every 5 WR or RB receptions. Tight ends get 1 pt per reception. Naturally, we see the elite TEs drafted around the same time as the elite WR crop.

As a reference, last year the only people to outscore Gates at all were (in order)

Carson Palmer 242

Shaun Alexander 233

Peyton Manning 214

Tom Brady 202

Ladanian Tomlinson 189

Larry Johnson 187

Matt Hasselbeck 186

Eli Manning 184

Gates scored 181

No other TE was close; Steve Smith wasn't close; so he will go in the middle of the first round. In most standard scoring leagues, I couldn't justify taking him before the third... for fear of crippling my RBs or WRs.

But then, that's part of why we adjusted our scoring... to break up position runs and to force people into placing realistic value on the stud TE's.

The flaw in your theory is that you're comparing his stats to WR instead of the other tight ends. Relative to other tight ends Gates outscored the average starter by around six points last year using pretty standard scoring. Steve Smith outscored the average starting receiver by five points. If those numbers hold you could make the case that he is more valuable than any receiver.

That said, I wouldn't take him in the second. :)

:D But since his ADP is 3rd round, I would not use my second rounder on him.

The flaw in your theory is that you're comparing his stats to WR instead of the other tight ends. Relative to other tight ends Gates outscored the average starter by around six points last year using pretty standard scoring. Steve Smith outscored the average starting receiver by five points. If those numbers hold you could make the case that he is more valuable than any receiver.

That said, I wouldn't take him in the second. :D

Actually, he compared Gates stats to a WR. I was speaking in like terms with the premise of this topic

And I maintain my point, but will clarify for you since you seem to have missed it. By taking Gates in the second you OBVIOUSLY gain an edge at TE. No one disputed this. My point though was that you're ALSO taking a hit at WR by bypassing a top tier WR to take a top tier TE, who might be there for you in the 3rd anyway.

Get it? :)

When you say second round, do that mean anywhere in the second? I believe, depending on who is left, he could be worth taking in the second. This year, in a dynasty, I took him at 2.10.

I've done one money league draft so far and 5 non-money league drafts, all 10-12 teams. Gates has gone in the 2nd in every one...in almost every case to one of the folks who had a top 3 pick. I think the second round is entirely too early to take ANY TE, but it always seems to happen.

The guy in my money league who took Gonzo in round 2 last year lived to regret it. :D

Actually, he compared Gates stats to a WR. I was speaking in like terms with the premise of this topic

And I maintain my point, but will clarify for you since you seem to have missed it. By taking Gates in the second you OBVIOUSLY gain an edge at TE. No one disputed this. My point though was that you're ALSO taking a hit at WR by bypassing a top tier WR to take a top tier TE, who might be there for you in the 3rd anyway.

Get it? :D

Uh yeah, I get it just fine. I was just pointing out that your reasoning wasn't the end of the story. Of course you're taking a hit at wide reciever, that goes without saying. The question is, is that a hit worth taking? You can make the case that it might well be.

Get it? :thumbsdown:

I've done one money league draft so far and 5 non-money league drafts, all 10-12 teams. Gates has gone in the 2nd in every one...in almost every case to one of the folks who had a top 3 pick. I think the second round is entirely too early to take ANY TE, but it always seems to happen.

The guy in my money league who took Gonzo in round 2 last year lived to regret it. :D

The guy in my league who took Gates in the third won the league.

I don't think it's crazy at all in a PPR league. IN fact, in my PPR league he was the #24 scorer OVERALL players (and it's 6t per passing TD, heavy defensive scoring league). He averaged a little over 4 points over the next best TE. To me that is worth a 2nd rounder.

I don't think it's crazy at all in a PPR league. IN fact, in my PPR league he was the #24 scorer OVERALL players (and it's 6t per passing TD, heavy defensive scoring league). He averaged a little over 4 points over the next best TE. To me that is worth a 2nd rounder.

I agree. But since his ADP is 3rd round, I would take the chance that I could get him there, instead of using my 2nd rounder on him. Unless I had the last pick in the 2nd round and the first pick in the 3rd round in a snake draft that is, then it doesn't matter.

Second round in a TE required league would not be that crazy. I would probably wait until the third, but he is probable to be the number one tight end, almost assuredly will be top three, and absolutely gauranteed to be in the top five. That can't be said for anyone else past round one.

Te in the 2nd is crazy. While Gates will give you a little separation from the TE's drafted later, it won't be enough to make up the point difference your opponents WR's and RB's have over your Wr's and RB's. You will have basically # 2 and 3 WR's and RB's going up agaianst #1 and 2 Wr's and RB's. Gates is not worth it. I'll take a Heath Miller, Ben Truope, or Jerramy Stevens in 10-12th rds and be quite happy.