Sign in to follow this  
philly81

Need help with 12th pick. Steve Smith or Manning?

I have the 9th pick in the 1rst round. I have decided to make the best choice between 1. Lamont Jordan 2. Rudi Johnson 3. Steven Jackson 4. Ronnie Brown 5. Edgerrin James 6. Cadillac Williams. I figure one of these will be available. If one of these backs fall to the 12th pick. I will select them. If none of these are available I will take either 1 Steve Smith or 2 Peyton Manning. The next tier of backs all seem to have question marks.

7. Julius Jones ( Will he be the man, or share the carries.)

8. Brian Westbrook ( I am in Philly. I am hearing some troublesome information about his foot. Afraid he will be hurt on and off this year.)

9. Joseph Addai ( Running back by committee?)

10. Dominick Davis ( Trouble with his knee. Never has been durable)

11. Willis McGahee ( BUF has looked bad in the preseason.)

12. Willie Parker ( Will he lose goal line carries. Is he durable enough)

I am leaning towards Peyton Manning with the 12th pick. I would appreciate any input on why I should go with Steve Smith at the 12th pick, oe running backs 7-12. If I go with a QB or WR with the 12th pick. I will have to wait to the 29th pick for anouthe RB.

I have the 9th pick in the 1rst round. I have decided to make the best choice between 1. Lamont Jordan 2. Rudi Johnson 3. Steven Jackson 4. Ronnie Brown 5. Edgerrin James 6. Cadillac Williams. I figure one of these will be available. If one of these backs fall to the 12th pick. I will select them. If none of these are available I will take either 1 Steve Smith or 2 Peyton Manning. The next tier of backs all seem to have question marks.

I am leaning towards Peyton Manning with the 12th pick. I would appreciate any input on why I should go with Steve Smith at the 12th pick, oe running backs 7-12. If I go with a QB or WR with the 12th pick. I will have to wait to the 29th pick for anouthe RB.

NEVER take a QB first. NEVER. It will ruin your whole draft.

It comes down to supply and demand.

12 teams starting 2 RBs = 24 RBs. Assuming that each NFL has a clear starter, that means 75% of ALL starting RBs will be on rosters to START. Not including back-ups. Not including RBBCs. And we KNOW all NFL teams DO NOT have a definite "go to guy."

12 teams starting 1 QB = 12 QBs. Assume each team in NFL has 1 viable QBs, that means only 38% of QBs will be drafted to start.

Same with WRs: 12 teams starting 2 WRs = 24 WRs. Assume each team in NFL has 2 viable WRs, that means only 38% of WRs will be drafted. Even if you start 3 WRs, it is still only 58% drafted to start.

If you are fortunate enough to have two of those backs fall to you - take them both. On the way back you can take WR-WR.

Manning is a solid player no doubt about it, but I'd advise against this early. As your league is like most, the running back pool is where the value is and you really need to get a RB in the first and second round.

Putting this together, I'd say you are ninth out of 10 teams so it actually equals 2 RB's per team for potentially 11 RB's gone by your ninth pick and up to 28 gone by your 29th pick. So taking Manning at the 12th spot really doesn't make sense. The only thing that would is if others are running for top WR's as well as RB's and you can start a run on QB's in the 2nd (doubt it) then hope by the 29th you can get a good #2 RB.

if none of those backs fall to you, take Steve Smith, don't take Manning. All the backs after that have serious questions, Steve Smith doesnt.

see mine

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=221854

There are several questions surrounding SS.

1. Hamstring

2. Keyshawn

3. Improved running game from last year.

4. Healthy D

to name the obvious. :headbanger:

Thanks everyone for the great input. If the backs I am interested in do not drop to me. I will take Steve Smith with the 12th pick. At least I will have ( in my opinion) the top wide receiver in the draft.

out of the 2 i would go manning... what most people failed to tell you in this thread is that Manning is without a doubt the top QB and in a tier of his own with Palmers injury concerns. The next best things are Hass and Brady... Hass always gets touted as a top fantasy QB but never has the numbers. Brady had the numbers last yr but who will he throw to? Watson all yr? Branch needs to return and they already lost givens.

Steve Smith was the top WR for ONE year. I feel a handful of guys will eclipse him this year namely Holt and TO.

Manning has been the best QB, no doubt, for 4 years at least. If your not going to go RB, RB... then take Manning... you can probably get a guy like hines ward/ reggie wayne o your next swing along with a RB like willie Parker or Corey dillon

Think about it like this

1 LJ

2 SA

3 LT2

4 Portis

5 Tiki

6 Rudi

7 Jordan

8 Jackson

9 Brown

10 James

11 Caddy

If all top 11 rbs go your stuck with taking Westbrook or Steve Smith personally i go with Westbrook because im a fan of RB core but i can see you dont want to do that, see if theres anyway the guy with the 10th and 11th would wanna swap 1sts and 2nds with you

I have to say I am very impressed with the input I received! I am an old guy. I started playing fantasy football when you had wait untill USA Today came out on monday morning to know if you had won. My league only went internet seven years ago. It was all typed out newsletters handed out at the bar. I purchased my first computer because my league was going on line. I have surfed this site for a couple of years, but hessitated joining before this. I am a Eagles season ticket holder. If you have questions about Eagles players. Bring it on!

I agree with the rest, let Manning go and grab a stud WR, if its Smith you feel is #1 take him.

Good Luck.

I agree with the rest, let Manning go and grab a stud WR, if its Smith you feel is #1 take him.

Good Luck.

if its 6 pts per all tds

grab manning

if you staHerert 3 wrs..grab smith

if its 4 pts per td, definitly smith

please see mine