Sign in to follow this  
scrotch

Just drafted Ben Watson...

I listened to the people on this board and the guys at FFToday, and I waited till late and drafted Ben Watson as my #1 TE. I hope it pays off. I'm pretty hyped up about him, not stupidly so though. I did back him up with Ben Troupe a few rounds later. I hope I look like a genious in the end. How excited are you about the emergence of Ben Watson this year? Do you guys think that the lack of any receiving playmakers elevates Watson's status in New England even more? Where do you see him finishing this year amongst TEs, top 5? 10?

As a Patriots fan, I am very excited about Watson. He will definitely be top 10 with the potential for top 5.

I could see Watson finishing in the 7-10 range of TE's. I also like Troupe a lot, especially if Volek stays in at QB all season. Good pick with him..

Is there any Watson skeptics out there? I honestly haven't heard much bad about him on here...

The only "negative" I've ever heard about him is that he's a quiet guy in the locker room. Other than that, he's basically a much better built Superman.

Oh, and he wears contacts. So I guess he doesn't have 20/20 vision.

Well, if you want negatives, here are a few . . .

Brady spreads the ball around so much that it's hard for anybody to get too many catches or TD's. Plus, NE is playing a 2 TE offense, so Graham is on the field with Watson as well and takes away catches. Last year, Watson had about 450 yards and 4 TD's, while Graham has 200 yards and 3 TD's. If Watson were the only TE out there, maybe you could say he gets 6-8 TD's, but I think it's less likely with Graham running routes too.

The good news is that Graham only has one catch so far this preseason (whereas Watson has five). Hopefully, for you, that 5:1 ratio extends into the regular season.

So, I guess I would suggest you temper your expectations. 500 yards and 5 TD's would be my guess. Not bad for a TE you likely picked at the end of the draft.

Another one of my favorite guys, but I don't like him for FF in that scheme.

Pros: fast as hell, good hands, plays in a pass heavy offense.

Cons: Brady hits about 57 different guys in a game, the running game in NE is a strength this season with a healthy Dillon and Maroney and Daniel Graham is on the other side cutting into possible TE catches.

My take is that he will have a few real bad games stat wise. He will have a few really nice games, but too many potential 2 pointers to take as more than a 2nd TE.

Just my take, chances are that waiting that long really got you more talent at other spots so it could even out.

Watson should be used on the outside as well as in the traditional TE position. There aren't many CBs that can run with the guy, let alone LBs. Brady looks like he is starting to rely on him more (who else can he rely on without Branch in there!).

Good pick.

just some thoughts on Watson:

1. Daniel Graham really isn't the big concern for stealing catches from Watson. Graham's hands aren't his best attribute, he's a killer blocker... among the best blocking TEs in the league. The competition for catches at the TE position in NE will be with Watson and Dave Thomas®. They love this new kid Thomas and he catches everything. Not saying Graham won't catch anything, just that he isn't as much of a receiving threat as Watson and Thomas.

2. I expect NE to be more of a runnig team this year. Their O-line is both talented and deep. Their RBs are talented and deep. Their WRs are thin. Expect lots of (2) TE sets and creative formations with the wealth of TE/FB type guys they have.

3. Most intriguing thing about Watson is that he sees some time playing as a slot receiver. With the lack of depth at WR, Watson will be used to help support the WRs. Also, though I haven't seen it in a game yet, Watson has even lined up out wide in practice.

4. Ben Watson is huge and he's fast and his hands are phenominal (esp. for a guy his size).

Someone in our 12 man league drafted him in the 9th Round and then dropped him for Eric Parker (WR). I scooped him off the FA list (took a chance and didn't use the waiver wire) and now my TE's are Heap and Watson :thumbsup:

The biggest plus Watson has going for him (IMHO) is that Branch could be out for a long time.... that means more balls being thrown his way

:angry:

What round did you get him in?

-al

Without going back and checking, I believe I picked him up in the 11th or 12th. Usually I ALWAYS draft a TE by the 8th, but I tried something different this year. I think one of the reasons he lasted so late is because this was a 2 QB league, so QBs were at a premium in the middle rounds. Still there were several TEs taken above him. I followed that up with Troupe in the 14th round.

I wanted Watson this year and had him dubbed as my sleeper pick. I snagged him in the 19th round out of 20 in my 10 team league!! Really stoked, however I also drafted Branch because he was still there in the 10th round and I figured he’s a steal there if he comes back or decent trade bait. So I could have some issues if Branch reports. Once some of the bigger TEs got picked I was confident I could sit back and grab Watson late.

I was targeting Watson in my draft and he got taken right before I was going to grab him in the 11th. I still got LJ Smith though in the 13th and picked up Troupe FA. Im still aiming for him in my other 2 drafts.

With Branch out,and the Pats utilizing the run game a little more,..Watson becomes the #1 "red zone" recieving threat.and 7 or 8 TDs are certainly achievable... :ninja:

Without going back and checking, I believe I picked him up in the 11th or 12th. Usually I ALWAYS draft a TE by the 8th, but I tried something different this year. I think one of the reasons he lasted so late is because this was a 2 QB league, so QBs were at a premium in the middle rounds. Still there were several TEs taken above him. I followed that up with Troupe in the 14th round.

I did the same thing you did, but I took Watson in the 10th and Troupe in the 12th. I think there's a good chance that at least one of them finishes in the top ten.

I did the same thing you did, but I took Watson in the 10th and Troupe in the 12th. I think there's a good chance that at least one of them finishes in the top ten.

Damn I really like both of these guys, but between the Titans going through rebuilding denial with a potentially ugly QB controversy in a tough division and the Pats just never having that one go to guy in the passing game it makes it really hard to like either as much as I would care to. Worlds of talent, but I think that both are the ultimate feast or famine on a week to week basis. Shoot, the only player in NE that I think is solid is Brady this year, everyone gets a shot at the ball in that offense, that is what makes them so good. Atleast you can get all the points for him distributing the ball. Even Branch is a really hard guy to gauge.

I hope it works out for you though. Definitely solid players there.

I miss Ben Coates. :blink: He was Rambo.