Sign in to follow this  
walkingcrow

Run-time error 1004 Draft Buddy + Office 2007

I get the error Run-time error '1004' when trying to setup the draft budy. The further detail says that I have to unprotect the sheet, which I do and it still fails.

I am using Office 2007 beta 2.

Both spreadsheets are in the same directory, and the file name has been double and triple checked. Macros have been enabled.

Has anyone had this problem or know the solution? The draft buddy is of little use if I cant set it up.

TIA

Hi walkingcrow. Are you on a Mac? Whether the answer to that is yes or no, try keeping both the Compiler and Buddy open at the same time when you run the Buddy setup.

Also I've noticed some people in Windows have inadvertantly changed the Compiler or Buddy filenames to have .xls.xls on the end, but this isn't exactly noticeable because Windows is hiding the file extensions. In this case a user thinks the filenames match, but they really don't. That might be something to check as well.

Hi walkingcrow. Are you on a Mac? Whether the answer to that is yes or no, try keeping both the Compiler and Buddy open at the same time when you run the Buddy setup.

Also I've noticed some people in Windows have inadvertantly changed the Compiler or Buddy filenames to have .xls.xls on the end, but this isn't exactly noticeable because Windows is hiding the file extensions. In this case a user thinks the filenames match, but they really don't. That might be something to check as well.

Hey Mike, thanks for getting back to me. Im running WinXP SP2 here. I'm a programmer by trade so I have tried/checked settings pretty throughly. It just appears to me that it is not compatible with the Excel 2007 beta.

Do you know if it has been verified/tested on this version of Excel?

The work around was that I compiled the draft buddy on a laptop with Excel 2003 and then opened that spreadsheet and it worked fine.

thanks.

I don't have Excel 2007, but now that you've reminded me, someone early on did test it out. They found no problems that I recall... or can find here in the 10 or so emails we had back and forth. He said the '07 did not prompt him to convert the files, and they worked okay from what he could see. Then he converted the files to '07 format just to see if it would still work. There was a prompt due to conflicts in some of my name ranges on the conversion (Pos1 had to become _Pos1, etc. in Buddy) but other than that, no issues.

If you find anything else drop me a note just so I know to test it out for next year.

I don't have Excel 2007, but now that you've reminded me, someone early on did test it out. They found no problems that I recall... or can find here in the 10 or so emails we had back and forth. He said the '07 did not prompt him to convert the files, and they worked okay from what he could see. Then he converted the files to '07 format just to see if it would still work. There was a prompt due to conflicts in some of my name ranges on the conversion (Pos1 had to become _Pos1, etc. in Buddy) but other than that, no issues.

If you find anything else drop me a note just so I know to test it out for next year.

I'm having the exact same problems...

bauermj, if you're still having trouble with this, send your copy of the Compiler over to me and I will set it up in Buddy for you. I'm really surprised Excel 2007 is causing this issue, but I'll investigate further when I can track down a copy of Excel '07.

bauermj, if you're still having trouble with this, send your copy of the Compiler over to me and I will set it up in Buddy for you. I'm really surprised Excel 2007 is causing this issue, but I'll investigate further when I can track down a copy of Excel '07.

Has Compiler been tested with Excel 2007 now that it has been released?

Hi. Yes, it has been tested and everything works as it should including the Draft Buddy Setup.

That programming hasn't changed since last year actually, so really it worked last year as well. As an aside, I received a file from someone yesterday who had trouble with the Buddy setup and the reason it wasn't working was because the Compiler filename had ".xls.xls" on the end (instead of just ".xls"). He just couldn't see the last ".xls" in Windows because the extension was hidden. 99.5% of the time, its the filename or the directory if the Buddy setup is not working.

I am using Excel 2007 and not having any problems using Compiler or Buddy.

I am using XP SP2 with Office 2007 enterprise edition.