Sign in to follow this  
IndyTom

To Portis or not to Portis?

First and foremost - we are stuck drafting this early due to a couple of scheduling conflicts. :lol:

Ok - so assuming the Big 3 go first - then Tiki, SJax, RBrown go next (though I would be happy with any of those) and Portis falls to me.

Now what? Edge? Rudi? or Portis? Prior to injury - this was an easy decision because he would have been grabbed by now.

I really want to draft him, but I don't want buyer's remorse.

Somebody help me feel ok about him. :dunno:

EDIT: Now that Duckett is coming - what should we speculate and how should this affect his ranking?

Duckett just traded to Washington.

:blink: Ack...this is what I get for not reading the news.

To Edge or not to Edge? :ninja:

:blink: Ack...this is what I get for not reading the news.

To Edge or not to Edge? :ninja:

You should go read the news....It didn't happen. He's having you on.

Bringin' the Noise: Don't run away from Portis

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/ne...gue=fantasy/nfl

By Brad Evans

August 17, 2006

For those of you that have yet to draft, relax. When injuries like this arise in the preseason many owners tend to tar and feather a player too quickly, thinking that the setback is much worse than it really is. At this point, the only player that leapfrogs the Washington wig connoisseur is Tiki Barber. If you are sitting in the sixth spot or later and Portis falls onto your lap, take the money and run. Barring additional injuries he is still an elite, top-five fantasy back this season in an Al Saunders system that can generate beefy fantasy numbers.

Maybe this helps you IndyTom?

You should go read the news....It didn't happen. He's having you on.

:ninja:

I just did and couldn't find it anywhere. I must be losing it.

By Brad Evans

August 17, 2006

For those of you that have yet to draft, relax. When injuries like this arise in the preseason many owners tend to tar and feather a player too quickly, thinking that the setback is much worse than it really is. At this point, the only player that leapfrogs the Washington wig connoisseur is Tiki Barber. If you are sitting in the sixth spot or later and Portis falls onto your lap, take the money and run. Barring additional injuries he is still an elite, top-five fantasy back this season in an Al Saunders system that can generate beefy fantasy numbers.

Yes it does - thank you! :ninja:

No breaking news thread?

you won't get a chance to get Portis, he'll go 4 or 5 easily.

I live near Indy - some sap will reach for Peyton - so there is a chance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2558101

Duckett to Redskins on ESPN

IndyTom...I wonder if this really means less time for Portis though. I remember their coach (maybe RB coach) Byner, saying that he wants to see if they can lessen the load for Portis when he comes back.

Duckett is the type that can easily take up 33% of the carries at RB (Betts the other 33%, and Portis the other 33%).

I don't know about this...I would be seriously thinking about passing on Portis at 7 IndyTom.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2558101

Duckett to Redskins on ESPN

IndyTom...I wonder if this really means less time for Portis though. I remember their coach (maybe RB coach) Byner, saying that he wants to see if they can lessen the load for Portis when he comes back.

Duckett is the type that can easily take up 33% of the carries at RB (Betts the other 33%, and Portis the other 33%).

I don't know about this...I would be seriously thinking about passing on Portis at 7 IndyTom.

Portis is going to get more than 33% of the carries even if his arm fell off. Duckett and Betts are marginal backs at best, Portis is one of the game's best.

Portis is going to get more than 33% of the carries even if his arm fell off. Duckett and Betts are marginal backs at best, Portis is one of the game's best.

I agree with you - but given the new situation - would one take Portis over say Edge or Ronnie Brown? :doublethumbsup:

You are probably right. Maybe at the start of the season, it might be Portis 50%, Duckett/Betts 50%.

You are probably right. Maybe at the start of the season, it might be Portis 50%, Duckett/Betts 50%.

If that's the case - I would pass. Though I think he is an excellent back - I can still get a very good back who won't be sharing carries the first few weeks.

Besides - no one really knows the details for sure of the severity of his injury. I think this trade speaks volumes.

Trading for a backup running back is what it is. He's not going to steal too many carries and Saunders will probably be disgusted by his play and he'll be 3rd on the depth chart.

From what I've heard, Portis is making progress.

Got this from the Yahoo Fantasy updates:

Aug 22 Portis was spotted conditioning on Monday without his shoulder in a sling, the Washington Post reports. "I was trying to get a little conditioning in, nothing spectacular," Portis said. "It was just following procedure, trying to get everything to heal. I still have to put the sling back on. It's probably going to be sore. I still feel pain there, but as far as movement is concerned, I feel good."

Gary Fitzgerald, of Redskins.com, reports Washington Redskins RB Clinton Portis (shoulder) did some stretching and light running Monday, Aug. 21. He did not wear the sling that he wore last week to protect his injured shoulder. "It feels okay. The pain is still there, but as far as my movement and being able to do everything, I feel fine," said Portis. He added he had a similar shoulder injury during his senior year of high school and that is helping him since he knows what to expect from the healing process. "The other good thing about it is, I'm not in a rush to get back and there's time for me to get fully healthy so it's not nagging throughout the season."

So, Portis feels good with movement. It's just a little sore. That's all injuries ever and it's the NFL. He'll suck it up and play. Duckett will only see significant time if his shoulder in re-injured.

Anybody that passes on Portis at 7 shouldn't be playing fantasy football. Don't make that mistake.

I was high on Betts, even before Portis went down. I'd take Edge here.

If Edge is gone then gamble on Portis.

Just make sure you get Betts AND Duckett if you take Portis.

Good Luck

Breaking News:

New York (FF): The Jets just told Washington that Duckett failed their physical so the whole Lelie for Duckett trade is off. Jets physicain, Dr. Frank N. Stein says Duckett has the body of a old man and cannot possibly of any value to anyone outside of Atlanta.

I was high on Betts, even before Portis went down. I'd take Edge here.

If Edge is gone then gamble on Portis.

Just make sure you get Betts AND Duckett if you take Portis.

Good Luck

Get Betts and TJ? 2 HandcuFFs for the Al Saunders offense :blink:

I would be happy with Betts, not many people handcuFF TJ to Dunn all those years. Why waste two spots when there are others out there to cuFF like Turner or Morris

Alright - I will assume the NFL Network, ESPN, etc. will be analyzing this trade to death and trying to confirm the prognosis of Mr. Portis.

So I shall wait until tomorrow afternoon before throwing stones. :banana:

i have the fourth pick in a new keeper league? portis or sjax?

No brainer here. I would take Jackson.

I had Jackson ahead of Portis even before his injury and the trade for Duckett.

The trade for Duckett drops Portis to the bottom of the 1st round.

Who would you run at the goal line? Someone whose shoulder got crumbled tackling someone or a back 50 lbs heavier with an OK shoulder?

Alright - I will assume the NFL Network, ESPN, etc. will be analyzing this trade to death and trying to confirm the prognosis of Mr. Portis.

So I shall wait until tomorrow afternoon before throwing stones. :D

Stay away from Portis at #7. Even if healthy, I don't see Portis getting goal line carries with Duckett in town.

If a ppr league, Portis slides even lower.

Do you think it is a coincidence that the Redskins, who were very happy with Betts, all of a sudden need to trade for a RB? They are already saying Portis may not be ready for the regular season and that's probably the best case scenario. Even if he is ready, this move tells me that they don't plan on using Portis in short yardage or goal line situations to reduce the wear and tear on his weakened shoulder. If you take Portis, you better make sure you get Duckett because he will probably have a significant role, especially at the beginning of the season.

If you take Portis, you better make sure you get Duckett because he will probably have a significant role, especially at the beginning of the season.

Duckett, not Betts?

I'd be very wary of Portis. I was looking at drafting Portis as well and did some brief research, which indicated shoulder injuries, especially involving dislocations, tend to recur fairly easily following unusual force or stress (as you would expect in the case of an NFL running back), and ultimately may very well require surgery. (Sorry, no links--I tried to provide them, but I couldn't get them listed here for some reason, possibly due to my computer incompetence.) For anyone who's interested in pursuing this topic further, do a search for "shoulder injuries and football"---it should yield a link to "JointInjuries.com", as well as other sites that address this type of injury).

Also, for what it's worth, Mark Schlereth (a former NFL O-lineman and current ESPN commentator, and the spelling of whose name I probably butchered) noted basically the same thing about shoulder injuries, and I heard an "expert" radio guest (I think it was King on ESPN radio) note that shoulder injuries are similar to hamstring problems--they tend to linger and frequently are a lot more serious than they are portrayed to be. Again, I can't provide links for the latter comments I heard, so feel free to behead me for providing unsubtantiated information. :cry:

From a personal point of view, I'd also be cautious about drafting a RB who might well not play a lot initially, and even after returning to "full strength", assuming he does, might be rested in games in case the coaching staff doesn't want to risk additional injury to him.

Of course, at the same time, I have to admit I'm in Indy Tom's league, and I'm hoping I just convinced him to pass on taking Portis so I can draft him. :thumbsdown:

I'd be very wary of Portis. I was looking at drafting Portis as well and did some brief research, which indicated shoulder injuries, especially involving dislocations, tend to recur fairly easily following unusual force or stress (as you would expect in the case of an NFL running back), and ultimately may very well require surgery. (Sorry, no links--I tried to provide them, but I couldn't get them listed here for some reason, possibly due to my computer incompetence.) For anyone who's interested in pursuing this topic further, do a search for "shoulder injuries and football"---it should yield a link to "JointInjuries.com", as well as other sites that address this type of injury).

Also, for what it's worth, Mark Schlereth (a former NFL O-lineman and current ESPN commentator, and the spelling of whose name I probably butchered) noted basically the same thing about shoulder injuries, and I heard an "expert" radio guest (I think it was King on ESPN radio) note that shoulder injuries are similar to hamstring problems--they tend to linger and frequently are a lot more serious than they are portrayed to be. Again, I can't provide links for the latter comments I heard, so feel free to behead me for providing unsubtantiated information. :lol:

From a personal point of view, I'd also be cautious about drafting a RB who might well not play a lot initially, and even after returning to "full strength", assuming he does, might be rested in games in case the coaching staff doesn't want to risk additional injury to him.

Of course, at the same time, I have to admit I'm in Indy Tom's league, and I'm hoping I just convinced him to pass on taking Portis so I can draft him. :first:

:cry:

Injury or not - the fact that the Redskins went out of their way to grab Duckett, a known goal line vulture, is telling about Portis' red zone opportunities.

I think I will let you have him anyway. :thumbsdown:

This may not be the case in other leagues, but we are at pick 2.8 and Portis is still on the board, and all of the picks were made before the trade was announced.

;)

Injury or not - the fact that the Redskins went out of their way to grab Duckett, a known goal line vulture, is telling about Portis' red zone opportunities.

I think I will let you have him anyway. :blink:

So I didn't have to get down all the way to reason number 14 as far as why not to draft Portis?? Day-um... :cheers:

This may not be the case in other leagues, but we are at pick 2.8 and Portis is still on the board, and all of the picks were made before the trade was announced.

Portis has become Betamax.

Portis has become Betamax.

I was pick 2.7 and I just couldn't pull the trigger on him. I ended up taking McGahee instead, the whole time I was hoping someone else would take Portis so I didn't have to make the decision. It's hard to pass on him in the middle of the second round, but I just have a bad feeling about him.

By Brad Evans

August 17, 2006

Knowing my luck and fantasy football you can tar and feather this guy cause I just got him (pre injury) in a Dynasty league.... I've already written him off.... just avoid him and be safe.... smart :blink:

if you asked yesterday I'd say injury be damned...take Portis and grab Betts in the late rounds as a handcuff.

Now it's really, really murky. Duckett isn't just a guy who can spell Portis - he's a guy who can be a feature back in the NFL, especially on that team. As such, the whole dynamic could change, even when Portis comes back. Plus you'll have to grab both Betts & Duckett...Duckett a lot higher.

At this point I'd be looking hard at guys like LJordan, RBrown and RuJohnson at 7. :shocking:

The Duckett signing makes that Portis situation a giant clusterfock, IMO.

I feel the same.

I was pick 2.7 and I just couldn't pull the trigger on him. I ended up taking McGahee instead, the whole time I was hoping someone else would take Portis so I didn't have to make the decision. It's hard to pass on him in the middle of the second round, but I just have a bad feeling about him.

Where did he end up? I haven't seen a guy like this fall this fast since Lawrence Phillips.