Sign in to follow this  
SayChowda

Deion Branch news re: Traded to Seattle

As a Pats fan, I've watched this off season go by with them addressing the need for a couple solid, vertran WR's. Caldwell would have been a decent #3 but nothing more...but now he's a number 1/2. I mean, come on...Troy Brown as our #1?

True, they drafted Jackson, but there were a couple of solid WR they could have gotten in free agency.

Now it looks like we are going to be running 2 & 3 TE sets all year.

Why were they not in the Lelie or Boerigter talks?

Because Branch is going to see that the marginal money he gets from another team isn't worth the risk of playing for a garbage team where he'll never produce enough to get a huge top 5 contract... And he'll ride out his contract with the pats hoping to produce enough to get a bigger contract...

Having only a week to put something this big back together is a reach, the pats know it, and they know it'll reflect in the offers branch receives, that only work to their advantage. This issue isn't over a contract, its over a franchise tag.

Pats will end up with Branch as #1, hopefully Jackson as #2 by mid season, and have Troy Brown, Reche, and 2 dangerous tight ends....

Dillon will hold up better with Maroney who looks great... Defense is healthy... our team will be fine

If he's not a me first player why is he asking for more money when he has a year on his contract.If he waits until his contract is up he will get respect and if he has a big year may even get a bigger contract

A lot of guys ask for more money in the final year of their contract. He is not the only one in he NFL to do this. It is a tough scenario for the players because they are expected to "honor their contracts", but the owners do not have to honor them. A guy can be cut at anytime and the player gets nothing other than the money he has received in the past. It can be a one way street in contract negotiations.

A lot of these players are worried that they could get hurt in their final year and it could affect their ability to get the contract that they wanted. Then again, as you stated, they do run the risk of signing the contract and then staying healthy and having a big year and not having as much as they could have had they waited.

I don't necessarily blame Branch for wanting more money now. The Patriots kind of held him over the fire when he negotiated his rookie contract. He was forced to sign a contract that was a year longer than he wanted to. Now he is seeing guys like Randel El and Givens (two players he is better than) sign over priced contracts even though they were drafted in the same year as him.

The problem I have with Branch is I think he is over valuing himself. The rumor is he wants Reggie Wayne money. I do not think he is worth that yet (even though I am not sure Wayne is worth that much either). But Wayne has out performed Branch and Branch has not yet shown the ability to stay healthy over the course of a 16 game schedule.

As a Patriots fan, I REALLY want the two sides to come to an agreement soon. I don't like the idea of not having him for the start of the season (even though the offense has looked real good so far without him).

from fanball.com...

The News

Disgruntled wide receiver Deion Branch has been given permission from the Pats to seek a trade and, not surprisingly, the wideout is generating plenty of interest. According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Vikings may inquire about Branch, especially after cutting Koren Robinson. The Bears are also considering a move for the 27-year old, according to ESPN. Chicago is still looking for a quality receiver opposite Muhsin Muhammad, after missing on a chance to acquire Ashley Lelie, a player they coveted, when he was traded from Denver to Atlanta earlier in the week.

Our View

Deion is only one year away from free agency, but is appears he's damaged his relationship with the Pats in a way that may never be mended. He is certainly a big play receiver, and either of the aforementioned teams would love to add him to their mix. We will keep our eyes peeled and post any new developments in the Deion Branch hold-out situation.

My question to Tuna had absolutely nothing to do with Branch. I'm well aware why the Pats cap situation is very healthy. My question is what is the actual figure once Seymour's bonus hits the books.

So if the Pats are 12mil under the cap even after Seymore's bonus, do you agree that there's no reason they shouldn't have kept Branch? With that much money, there's no need to prorate bonuses and they could give him a huge lump sum salary for this year. They could easily get his total money up to the level he's requesting without leaving themselves hanging out to dry in the future.

from fanball.com...

The News

Disgruntled wide receiver Deion Branch has been given permission from the Pats to seek a trade and, not surprisingly, the wideout is generating plenty of interest. According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Vikings may inquire about Branch, especially after cutting Koren Robinson. The Bears are also considering a move for the 27-year old, according to ESPN. Chicago is still looking for a quality receiver opposite Muhsin Muhammad, after missing on a chance to acquire Ashley Lelie, a player they coveted, when he was traded from Denver to Atlanta earlier in the week.

Our View

Deion is only one year away from free agency, but is appears he's damaged his relationship with the Pats in a way that may never be mended. He is certainly a big play receiver, and either of the aforementioned teams would love to add him to their mix. We will keep our eyes peeled and post any new developments in the Deion Branch hold-out situation.

The problem for these teams is the Patriots will require a 2nd round pick as a minimum for a trade. No way they are accepting a pick for less than what they used to get him in the 1st place.

So if the Pats are 12mil under the cap even after Seymore's bonus, do you agree that there's no reason they shouldn't have kept Branch? With that much money, there's no need to prorate bonuses and they could give him a huge lump sum salary for this year. They could easily get his total money up to the level he's requesting without leaving themselves hanging out to dry in the future.

Just because you have extra money now, it doesn't mean you are supposed to spend it for the sake of spending. If you overpay for a guy, it will affect future salary caps, not just this year's.

*I don't like the fact the Pats are 12 mil under the cap. They are a very good team and could be better if they sprinkled some of that money to add some more depth. Why they are this far under the cap is a mystery. They have always spent to the cap limit under BB. They don't take a piss without a plan so I have to believe there's a reason...yet, as of now I just don't know what it is.

*No, I absolutely do not agree that they should simply overpay for Branch because they have cap space. That is very bad business. The Pats have a number in mind for their players. Looking back the Pats really have not been burnt by letting players walk who than received bigger money elsewhere. I do believe they are a better team with Branch in the short term. Yet, overpaying for him and/or letting him dictate how things should be handled with a year left on his deal would be a monumental mistake that would come back to haunt them when dealing with players who are more important to their success like Wilfork and Warren.

*I don't like the fact the Pats are 12 mil under the cap. They are a very good team and could be better if they sprinkled some of that money to add some more depth. Why they are this far under the cap is a mystery. They have always spent to the cap limit under BB. They don't take a piss without a plan so I have to believe there's a reason...yet, as of now I just don't know what it is.

*No, I absolutely do not agree that they should simply overpay for Branch because they have cap space. That is very bad business. The Pats have a number in mind for their players. Looking back the Pats really have not been burnt by letting players walk who than received bigger money elsewhere. I do believe they are a better team with Branch in the short term. Yet, overpaying for him and/or letting him dictate how things should be handled with a year left on his deal would be a monumental mistake that would come back to haunt them when dealing with players who are more important to their success like Wilfork and Warren.

:wub:

Losing your #1 and #2 WRs in the same year while letting 13mil go to waste is indeed stupid. Maybe not Bill, bu whomever made the call.

It's amazing how generous we all are with other people's money.

Actually, while it may be other people's money, they would not have it if it were not for the fans.

Just because you have extra money now, it doesn't mean you are supposed to spend it for the sake of spending. If you overpay for a guy, it will affect future salary caps, not just this year's.

Explain to me how, with 13mil available this year, you would affect future caps. The only thing that affects future years are actual yearly salaries (which he would already have anyway) and prorating signing bonuses (which you wouldn't have to do with that much money available).

If you want to say they're sticking to their principles, then fine. But IMO, strapping the team financially has nothing to do with this.

Explain to me how, with 13mil available this year, you would affect future caps. The only thing that affects future years are actual yearly salaries (which he would already have anyway) and prorating signing bonuses (which you wouldn't have to do with that much money available).

If you want to say they're sticking to their principles, then fine. But IMO, strapping the team financially has nothing to do with this.

They will make sure that they have some $ in reserve for the inevitable contract in the middle of the yr. I'm thinking alot of that "Extra" $ will be gone before ya know it.

They will make sure that they have some $ in reserve for the inevitable contract in the middle of the yr. I'm thinking alot of that "Extra" $ will be gone before ya know it.

They have Koppen, Samuel and Graham's deals in their last year. I would not be surprised to see Koppen and Samuel get extended. Graham could be a little dicier as his value will probably be worth a lot more on the open market than it will be for the Pats.

Except for the fact that every player that thinks that he is not getting his fair share will hold out and look for some of that dough. The Pats were very leery about giving into Seymour last year, but Seymour is in a different category than Branch. There is no way that they can cave to Branch at this point as it will cause them grief with every other player that they need to negotiate with in the future. All for a guy who has as many 1,000 yard seasons as Seymour does, but Seymour is a top 5 defensive player in the league.

That money comes from TV contracts which are divided up(with a few other factors) evenly among

all teams and the salary cap is set. Simply put each team gets a check each year for the amount of

the cap. The exception is of course for signing bonuses, but owners will get that back over the life of contracts.

Typically salary cap values increase with every year. So the higher his cap number goes, the less flexibility they have to sign their own players and free agents. As Boston has listed, they will have other contracts to address next year as well as potential free agents they may already be targeting. Every dollar counts, a difference of $1mil in cap room can make the difference on player signings.

Also, other players will see that the Patriots over spent for Branch, so the next players at the end of their contract will use the same tactics and expect to be overpaid as well. It is a snowball effect.

They have a lot of room now (depending in the status of Seymours bonus), but next year they could have less (depending on the acceleration of all the players contracts). A cap number difference of $1mil could make the difference of them signing a particular player or not (for example, there might be 3 players they want, but because they over paid for Branch, they can only get 1 or 2 of those players, maybe that 3rd was a difference maker).

Again, just because you have all the money in the world doesn't mean you spend it all because a player is asking for it. That is what got the Patriots in trouble in the Pete Carrol/Bobby Grier era. The Patriots have a value that they feel is right for Branch, and they do not feel the need to over pay for him because his agent and he think he is equal to the top WR's in football.

I trust them to make the right decision as opposed to you making it for them.

The yankees are the greatest team in all of sports. I am humbled that my red soxs can even be scheduled to play in the same venue as the Yankees. The yankees gave the red soxs a complete ass pounding this weekend, and didnt even bother using lube. Derek Jeter has once again proven how an MVP candiate should look, and David Ortiz is just a poser. Also, our bullpen and pitching staff would get a much needed boost if they brought in Jose Canseco and his knuckleball

Sounds like you lost a sig bet, PFB.

I hate the fooking Yankees.

1. They are going to be between $6 and $7 Million under the cap after Seymour's bonus, per Paul Perillo of Patriots weekly on WEEI Friday. That money they were saving for a veteran add in season and a signing of Branch.

2. NO. they should not give in to Branch. They have several key Free Agents next year, and they must hold the line on all contracts as much as possible. They made Branch a very fair offer. He wants too much and he is a WR, perhaps the least important position on the field. (although he is a key player). They give him all that up front money, then they will have Dan Graham, Dan Koppen, Eugene Wilson, and Assante Samuel asking for the same next year.

this is all well and good NE fans. Pats have a plan and they've worked it to perfection the last 5 years but back to their receivers. What's the plan for them? Is it just the 'ol Brady will find who's open and they won't miss a beat or is there legitimate concern from Patriot nation?

:banana:

I heard some folks discussing this very thing, and although it's apparent the Eagles have a need for a better WR, they won't pull the trigger.

The Eagles were prepared to trade for Javon Walker and give him $7 mil a season. If people think they'll do the same for Branch, they're sadly mistaken.

Branch is good and fits a need. However, he's not worth a 2nd round pick, and he's not worth that kind of money.

It's not my money, so I wish they would pull the trigger because I believe Branch would be a big help. I just don't see them doing it. :banana:

this is all well and good NE fans. Pats have a plan and they've worked it to perfection the last 5 years but back to their receivers. What's the plan for them? Is it just the 'ol Brady will find who's open and they won't miss a beat or is there legitimate concern from Patriot nation?

Legit concern, but they are using Watson like a WR. They would have that concern regardless of whether Branch was there or not. Caldwell stinks. They are using a rookie DB as a WR now (Andrews). There is very little depth on that team now. That is part of the reason for that extra cap space and something that they are looking to address once some cuts are made.

From a Fantasy perspective, the Pats are a PITA every year. However, people forget that they won SB's with David Patten, Antowain Smith, et al as "weapons".

No team has cap room by the end of the year. Whatever is 'left over' is eaten up by re-structuring veteren players contracts in the middle of this year, making next year better. If they have 13mil not used this year, that means they simply get even better next year. And they havent 'lost him' yet. Lets see what happens by the end of the Patriot imposed 1 week shopping time limit.

New England Patriots are asking for two first-round draft picks in exchange for WR Deion Branch, according to a report on WIP in Philadelphia. Former Eagles DT Hugh Douglas reported about the Pats high asking price for Branch.

New England Patriots are asking for two first-round draft picks in exchange for WR Deion Branch, according to a report on WIP in Philadelphia. Former Eagles DT Hugh Douglas reported about the Pats high asking price for Branch.

He isn't going anywhere. No team will pay that price. He is worth one 1st rounder, but not two.

He isn't going anywhere. No team will pay that price. He is worth one 1st rounder, but not two.

I agree. Here's another opinion from Peter King...

6. I think it's hard, but not impossible, to think that wide receiver Deion Branch is going to be on any team but the Patriots a week from now. The Patriots gave Branch and his agent permission to seek a trade after Branch turned down a three-year, $18.75-million contract extension with New England. Now, you'd think there'd be a few teams that would want Branch at a little more than $6.25 million per year (after he plays out this season at $1.04 million, a year the Patriots refuse to forgive), and there would be. But there's the matter of compensation.

Branch is 27. He's averaged 54 catches a year in his first four years as a Patriot. He has solid hands, good but not blinding speed, and has formed a strong bond with Tom Brady. He's been very good in the big games, combining for 21 catches for 276 yards in his two Super Bowls. No other receiver in history, including the great Jerry Rice, has had two Super Bowls as productive as Branch's. Branch entered the league as a second-round pick (65th overall) in 2002. It's doubtful the Patriots would entertain any offer for Branch but one that would end up being, at the lowest, a high second-round pick.

So if you're a team in need of a wide receiver, would you pay Branch more than $7 million a year -- and would you surrender your first- or high second-round pick in next year's draft -- at a time when Branch would be way behind the 8 Ball in learning your offense in time to be an impact player in 2006? I think it's unlikely, though I do think because so many teams are cap-rich right now, some team just might. Here are the teams, with cap money available as of the close of NFL business on Friday, that would think of making a play for Branch:

• Minnesota ($10.4 million under the cap). After losing Koren Robinson, this is a team with a good veteran quarterback, Brad Johnson, and no reliable wideout. I doubt Minnesota will do something as bold as paying Branch and surrendering a first-round pick, but you just don't know how desperate owner Zygi Wilf is feeling after the Robinson embarrassment.

• Buffalo ($8.8 million under). The Pats aren't afraid to deal within the division, as they showed with Drew Bledsoe. But maybe the bomb Peerless Price caught from J.P. Losman the other night will make Marv Levy think he can get by with Lee Evans and flotsam at wideout.

• Green Bay ($8.3 million under). Talk about a perfect replacement for Javon Walker, who has yet to be replaced in the north country.

• Kansas City ($12 million under). Herman Edwards saw him twice a year for the last four years, and his starters now are the aging Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker. That's a lot of money to be burning a hole in Carl Peterson's pocket.

• New York Jets ($7.0 million under). They've taken everything else that wasn't nailed down in Foxboro. Why not Brady's favorite receiver?

• Seattle ($10.0 million under). If I were Mike Holmgren, I'd do it. Darrell Jackson gets hurt every 10 minutes, and you know you're picking near the end of the first round almost no matter what happens in January. Take the shot. Trade the first-round pick and sign Branch long-term.

• San Francisco ($10.1 million under). The Niners need players at almost any position.

• Cleveland ($8.5 million under). Romeo Crennel knows Branch and loves him. But he also just bought Joe Jurevicius in free agency, and a threesome of Braylon Edwards, Jurevicius and Dennis Northcutt hardly is a weak position group on a team in need of help elsewhere.

One final note, as one pro personnel man told me on Sunday night: With at least four wide receivers -- Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson, USC's Dwayne Jarrett, Notre Dame's Jeff Samardzija and Ohio State's Ted Ginn -- likely to go in the first round next April, could a receiver-needy team scotch-tape its group together this year, then pick one of these guys (with a bigger upside, perhaps, than Branch) in 2007? In the end, I think Branch is going to be sitting there a week from now, having to make a deal with New England if he wants to play football in September.

I could see a scenario where another AFC East team agrees on a contract with Branch but offers nothing more than a #2. That means they would either obtain Branch without giving up a #1 (I don't think this is likely) or it puts the Pats in a situation where Branch can say that he does have the value he thinks he has (i.e. it busts the Pats balls). Either scenario is a shot at the Pats which I'm sure they'd love to take.

He is not worth what it will cost to obtain him. There is no team desperate enough to take him at that price.

I think Baltimore would certainly have an interest in him, but not at the cost. If I am making the decisions in NE, I let it ride as he will HAVE to come back. More than likely he goes "TO" on them, but its better than having him bring value to another team.

-- Branch Expecting to Receive at Least One Substantial Offer --

Mon Aug 28, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Boston Herald reports there are rumblings that New England Patriots holdout WR Deion Branch is expecting to receive at least one substantial offer from another team this week. The Pats have given Branch until Friday to negotiate a contract with another team and work out a trade.

-- Branch Expecting to Receive at Least One Substantial Offer --

Mon Aug 28, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Boston Herald reports there are rumblings that New England Patriots holdout WR Deion Branch is expecting to receive at least one substantial offer from another team this week. The Pats have given Branch until Friday to negotiate a contract with another team and work out a trade.

:huh: :thumbsup:

New Orleans needs a WR now.

This might be a fit. Henderson and a #1 for Branch seems what the trade package could be.

Branch, Horn, McAllister and Bush would be a killer offense, and the Saints will recoup that pick in the offseason when they deal Duece.

New Orleans does seem like a potential fit for Branch on paper after the Stallworth deal. Yet, I can't see them giving up a #1 that could easily be a top 10 pick. If they do, the Pats should jump all over it even though it would cause a little short term pain.

NO should call HOU and offer Deuce, then HOU sends a 2nd rounder to NE and Branch goes to NO.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Pats deal Branch for a #2. It doesn't do them any good now or in future contract negotiations. I hear reports they are looking for two #1's which is pretty unrealistic. My guess is it will take a #1 or some other type of package involving picks and/or players.

Branch is not a me-first player.

His desire for a new contract is warranted; the money he's looking for is not.

But you are correct. NE would likely want at least a 2nd rounder for Branch (where he was drafted) and most clubs won't give that up.

Belichick was an economics major in college. He's gonna' let the market show Deion just how good NE's offer was.

well, a second rounder is warrented for branch if hes asking for reasonable money. but hes not.

I'd say because of the cash hes asking hes only worth a 3rd or a 4th rounder (if they can sign him)

of course, if he was willing to settle for reasonable money, the deal would be done and we'd not be talking about this.....

Latest off of Sporting News Radio is that Minnesota and Pittsburgh have shown interest. No other details to this point, as it was in the Flash, and Jim Rome is on right now, and he provides no information.

Latest off of Sporting News Radio is that Minnesota and Pittsburgh have shown interest. No other details to this point, as it was in the Flash, and Jim Rome is on right now, and he provides no information.

*Minny makes a lot of sense.

*As for Pittsburgh this is the second time I have seen their name linked with Branch. As far as pure football goes a Ward-Branch combo would be nasty. That's a great 1-2 punch that could really cause defenses a lot of trouble. Yet, it does seem out of character for the Steelers to have that much money tied up in two WRs as well as dealing a future pick. Add in the fact that they also used a #1 on a WR this year and the Branch to Pittsburgh rumor becomes that much more curious.