Sign in to follow this  
iforgotmypassword

'3rd tier' RB conversation

with all of the crap at RB this year, I think the 3rd+ rounders are going to be the ones who make or break a team. I'm convincing myself of this...

With that said, I'd like to get everyones input on on how they feel about these guys. Rankings, potential upside, potential downside, etc. Just gimme what you got, and tell me why...

The guys i'm referring too are the ones that usually make it to the 3rd round or later. There is a well established group that gets picked in the first two rounds, but then people start focusing on other positions. this should be a great time to grab one of these guys

Warrick Dunn

Frank Gore

Chester Taylor

Fred Taylor

Jamal Lewis

Willie Parker

Reubon Droughns

Deshaun Foster

Kevan Barlow

Mike Bell

Anyone else that should be added?

thoughts?

I'll post my rankings a bit later, I gotta get moving to a meeting...

I just got Lewis in the 4rth and T.Jones in the 5th. I am pretty happy I got Benson in the 8th too!

I took C. Taylor in the 2nd. There was a huge run on Rb's and I thought he was the best value there.

with all of the crap at RB this year, I think the 3rd+ rounders are going to be the ones who make or break a team. I'm convincing myself of this...

With that said, I'd like to get everyones input on on how they feel about these guys. Rankings, potential upside, potential downside, etc. Just gimme what you got, and tell me why...

The guys i'm referring too are the ones that usually make it to the 3rd round or later. There is a well established group that gets picked in the first two rounds, but then people start focusing on other positions. this should be a great time to grab one of these guys

Warrick Dunn

Frank Gore

Chester Taylor

Fred Taylor

Jamal Lewis

Willie Parker

Reubon Droughns

Deshaun Foster

Kevan Barlow

Mike Bell

Anyone else that should be added?

thoughts?

I'll post my rankings a bit later, I gotta get moving to a meeting...

You can scratch Warrick Dunn and Willie Parker off your (3rd round plus) list because I had two drafts this weekend and in both of them they went in the 2nd round.... I wanted Parker in a bad a$$ way to in my 2nd one and the guy snaked him right in front of me :mad:

As for your question (removing Parker and Dunn of course because IMO are clear and away from the others) I listed my thoughts below....

Frank Gore - Is no doubt the man over in S.F. now, but then again it is SF were talkin about... could be a good # 2, but is no doubt a very good # 3....

Chester Taylor - will have every opportunity to be the man over here.... should get his 18-20 touches a game, which is all you can ask for... His O-Line is very nice even though they obviously still need a little time to gel judging by the first few pre-season games... The Vikings first few games are BRUTAL At Wash, Carolina and then the Bears, so look for a slow start by the Viking run game... maybe wait it out and make a trade for this guy after week 3 is over (his owner may be frustrated enough by this point after a slow pre-season and a possible terrible start)

Fred Taylor - no doubt gets a little bump with the Greg Jones loss, but you'll still see a blend of guys taking carries from the Fragile One.... whether it's Pearman or Drew stealing 3rd downs, or Toefield seeing some goaline action, Fred won't be an everydown guy, and his injury history is always lurking....

Jamal Lewis - Jamal hasn't really shown ANY flashes, ant ANY point since he came out of the clink of that RB that once ran for 2,000 yards. Baltimore is going to look to pound it out to keep that defense fresh, but I'd avoid this guy all together.. I can easily see Musa Smith and Mike Anderson helping Jamal share the load

Reuben Droughns - I'm a Browns homer and despite the fact that this guy runs hard, I'm not a big fan of him. However his job is pretty safe, (assuming he has no more run ins with the law) but Jerome Harrison has been great so far for us so look for him to get in there on 3rd downs... You know what you're getting with Droughns, his ceiling is obvious, but he's bland...

Deshaun Foster - Right now he's the starter on the # 1 NFC Super Bowl contender, and his coach is John Fox who loves to pound the rock on the ground. This guy was sick in college and I'd love to see what he could do if he stayed healthy in this type of role. The thing is I just don't see it happening with his injury past... DeAngelo will spell him and his quickness may get the people in CAROLINA talking...

Kevan Barlow - The Jets offense is so pathetic right now I wouldn't even take him if they allowed a free roster spot.

Mike Bell - Def. has the most upside of this group if Shanny goes full steam ahead with him... but knowing if he'll actually keep his word and do that, good luck :doublethumbsup: ..... It's obvious that Tatum Bell will still get his 8-10 change of pace carries so MIKE is not going to approach the old T.D./Portis numbers of 1,500, 15 (like I've been seeing on this site) but I can see him going for Mike Anderson/Reuben Droughns type numbers from recent years.... I say about 1,250 and 10 scores....

Anyway HTH

Nice. Thanks.

But i'm more looking for how you guys have these backs ranked, who you're high on, who you're low on, and why.

For example, Here's my thoughts right now:

C. Taylor

Positives - Hutchinson, decent line, decent schedule

Negatives - unproven, no support, struggled in preseason

Dunn

Positives - explosive O, no Duckett to steal, proven back

Negatives - Vick may steal,

Gore

positives - huge potential, alex has shown improvement for support, every down back

negatives - injury risk, team could be playing from behind a lot

agree? disagree? Your take?

Also, how do you rank these guys? I'm torn on them...

You can scratch Warrick Dunn and Willie Parker off your (3rd round plus) list because I had two drafts this weekend and in both of them they went in the 2nd round.... I wanted Parker in a bad a$$ way to in my 2nd one and the guy snaked him right in front of me :dunno:

As for your question (removing Parker and Dunn of course because IMO are clear and away from the others) I listed my thoughts below....

Frank Gore - Is no doubt the man over in S.F. now, but then again it is SF were talkin about... could be a good # 2, but is no doubt a very good # 3....

Chester Taylor - will have every opportunity to be the man over here.... should get his 18-20 touches a game, which is all you can ask for... His O-Line is very nice even though they obviously still need a little time to gel judging by the first few pre-season games... The Vikings first few games are BRUTAL At Wash, Carolina and then the Bears, so look for a slow start by the Viking run game... maybe wait it out and make a trade for this guy after week 3 is over (his owner may be frustrated enough by this point after a slow pre-season and a possible terrible start)

Fred Taylor - no doubt gets a little bump with the Greg Jones loss, but you'll still see a blend of guys taking carries from the Fragile One.... whether it's Pearman or Drew stealing 3rd downs, or Toefield seeing some goaline action, Fred won't be an everydown guy, and his injury history is always lurking....

Jamal Lewis - Jamal hasn't really shown ANY flashes, ant ANY point since he came out of the clink of that RB that once ran for 2,000 yards. Baltimore is going to look to pound it out to keep that defense fresh, but I'd avoid this guy all together.. I can easily see Musa Smith and Mike Anderson helping Jamal share the load

Reuben Droughns - I'm a Browns homer and despite the fact that this guy runs hard, I'm not a big fan of him. However his job is pretty safe, (assuming he has no more run ins with the law) but Jerome Harrison has been great so far for us so look for him to get in there on 3rd downs... You know what you're getting with Droughns, his ceiling is obvious, but he's bland...

Deshaun Foster - Right now he's the starter on the # 1 NFC Super Bowl contender, and his coach is John Fox who loves to pound the rock on the ground. This guy was sick in college and I'd love to see what he could do if he stayed healthy in this type of role. The thing is I just don't see it happening with his injury past... DeAngelo will spell him and his quickness may get the people in CAROLINA talking...

Kevan Barlow - The Jets offense is so pathetic right now I wouldn't even take him if they allowed a free roster spot.

Mike Bell - Def. has the most upside of this group if Shanny goes full steam ahead with him... but knowing if he'll actually keep his word and do that, good luck :cheers: ..... It's obvious that Tatum Bell will still get his 8-10 change of pace carries so MIKE is not going to approach the old T.D./Portis numbers of 1,500, 15 (like I've been seeing on this site) but I can see him going for Mike Anderson/Reuben Droughns type numbers from recent years.... I say about 1,250 and 10 scores....

Anyway HTH

awesome! thanks!

You beat me too it! But I like your analysis!

Good stuff there Ras, agree with almost everything. Any RB in Denver is the ultimate feast/famine thing, I picked up Tatum in the 13th round in my draft, that's how far he's fallen. I think of all these, Deshaun Foster has the highest upside. When he's in and healthy, he's a beast. Sad part is that of all the backs left to pick from, ALL of them have some history of injury, are getting up in age, or are unproven.

Dillon - I just have a gut feeling the Maroney situation is overstated. No reason to start him over Dillon in that offense unless he gets hurt. Plus I expect Dillon will get most of the goal line carries in that potent offense.

Green - GB coaches are spinning that he looks as good as he did in his 2003 season. Still young considering Tiki is the consensus #4 pick at age 31

Lewis - only 26 and McNair as QB should open things up for him.

Foster - Most of his injuries have been more of the freak accident kind so I think the "brittle" tag is a little harsh. When healthy, he is a monster and that offense will be clicking this year with the addition of Keshawn

At least one of these guys will be a top 10 producer this year at RB.

Warrick Dunn

Frank Gore

Chester Taylor

Fred Taylor

Jamal Lewis

Willie Parker

Reubon Droughns

Deshaun Foster

Kevan Barlow

Mike Bell

Of the RBs you mentioned, I like Dunn, C. Taylor, Parker, and Gore (more or less in that order). If M. Bell were more like a 6th or 7th rounder, I would like him more, but your post mentioned the 3rd round, which is just to early for him IMO. Dunn seems the safest choice, but offers less upside IMO (in spite of the Duckett departure) than the others.

Lewis, F. Taylor and Foster scare me, mainly b/c of injuries (put A. Green in this category too). Barlow and Droughns play on such horrible teams that it's hard to like them (I would list Gore here, but he seems to be more talented and SF line may be better than last year).

Good luck.