Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Early Ronnie Brown manlove.

9th pick in my 15 teamer. Portis, McGahee, Brown, Jackson, James and Cadillac on the board. I went with Brown.

I know it's only one game, but they played one of the best rushing defenses in the league, they have a pretty easy schedule and a really good fantasy playoff schedule and yes I realize he only had 30 yards rushing, but he had 30 yards receiving and played EVERY SINGLE offensive down. They threw to him near the goaline and my league is decimal scoring.

Ronnie Brown :wub:

:pointstosky:

9th pick in my 15 teamer. Portis, McGahee, Brown, Jackson, James and Cadillac on the board. I went with Brown.

I know it's only one game, but they played one of the best rushing defenses in the league, they have a pretty easy schedule and a really good fantasy playoff schedule and yes I realize he only had 30 yards rushing, but he had 30 yards receiving and played EVERY SINGLE offensive down. They threw to him near the goaline and my league is decimal scoring.

Ronnie Brown :wub:

:pointstosky:

Yep...I was pleased. He's a competitor.

I was very encouraged by how much he ws in the game, although it bothered me that they forgot about him in the 2nd half. He ran very hard with little room. I was impressed that he rarely went down on first contact. The receptions, especially in the red zone, are going to be a BIG plus this year.

Be fortunate though that he scored twice because his rushing totals were bunk

:thumbsdown:

If used like this continually he won't last 8 weeks.

I was impressed with his goal line running and the power he showed.

If used like this continually he won't last 8 weeks.

I was impressed with his goal line running and the power he showed.

I had similar thoughts of his overuse, which is why they used him as a decoy in the 3rd and 4th quarters, which obviously wasn't smart.

As soon as CPepper learns that he needs to check down on some of those stupid long balls, Brown is going to be even better. There were numerous times when he was wide open and CPepper just threw the ball to Pitt. Brown is going to have a top 10 year.

He played every down because half of the time, he was used as a blocker for Culpepper. From what I saw yesterday, Ronnie looked excellent in pass protection!! That will keep him on the field at all times! I don't feel as if Ronnie was over used yesterday. One of you guys mentioned that Ronnie wasn't used that much in the 2nd half. Pittsburgh neutralized that Miami run game. They had choice really...although Ronnie was running a little bit better when he did get the opportunity in the 2nd half.

But looking at him yesterday, I'm very optimistic about his chances. He was used in basically every situation. To get some receptions in the redzone/goaline...that's definately a plus. If he doesn't run it in, he can always catch it in the endzone...that's another incentive!

As soon as CPepper learns that he needs to check down on some of those stupid long balls, Brown is going to be even better. There were numerous times when he was wide open and CPepper just threw the ball to Pitt. Brown is going to have a top 10 year.

I noticed that too, especially late in the game. Brown was open for 10 easy yards and cpepp threw it to the Steelers. Cpepp is going to get reamed in the film sessions for that.

I noticed that too, especially late in the game. Brown was open for 10 easy yards and cpepp threw it to the Steelers. Cpepp is going to get reamed in the film sessions for that.

Exactly. Lot of times where I saw Brown go out as his blocking wasn't needed. Cpep had difficulty with accuracy last night too. He'll get better.

Took him 7th in my 16 team redraft - likin it so far ... :)

Jordan went 8th :thumbsup:

I was not impressed with his running. He couldnt find the hole, but the two td's and power he showed were good.

I was not impressed with his running. He couldnt find the hole, but the two td's and power he showed were good.

There weren't any holes. :doublethumbsup:

he's gonna get killed out there. he gets crunched on every play.

Pitts D is going to do that to every rb they face this year. Ronnie was money at the goal line.

What hole? Miami has some o-line issues, and let's not forget they played a very good defense. You can't knock Ronnie's effort last night. If and when the o-line gels, and when Miami faces weaker defenses, I think you'll be "impressed" with his running.

The comment on CPep not checking down enough is absolutely right on. Ronnie was wide open on several occasions, but Daunte seemed to be trying to force the ball to Chambers all night.

Miami's O-Line looked terrible....I don't see too many 100 yard games in his future. One positive note, he's going to get all the carries and play on every down. He may surprise owners in ppr leagues.

Thank God for this post. I didn't watch the game and I was concerned about the 30 yards rushing on 15 carries. (Even though it was Pit D, still not encouraging). But, now I feel better. Afterall, we can't expect him to have two TDs every game. Gotta get those points somehow and 30 yards isn't going to cut it. But, I'm encouraged by what I hear.

Pitts D is going to do that to every rb they face this year. Ronnie was money at the goal line.

62 total yards and 2 TDs against PITT's rediculous D is great... The Phin's O-line looked bad and Saban turned into Martz in the 4th quarter, but that will change as the year progresses.

As for the overuse of Brown... He only touche the ball 18 times!!! The rest of the game he was doing the hitting and not getting hit. PITT gave Parker the ball 30+ times! Saban could actually use him more if he wanted.

The most important factor though...Just look at the rest of MIA schedule..

BUF... TEN... HOU... NE... NYJ... GB... CHI... MIN... DET... JAX... NE... BUF... NYJ

What hole? Miami has some o-line issues, and let's not forget they played a very good defense. You can't knock Ronnie's effort last night. If and when the o-line gels, and when Miami faces weaker defenses, I think you'll be "impressed" with his running.

The comment on CPep not checking down enough is absolutely right on. Ronnie was wide open on several occasions, but Daunte seemed to be trying to force the ball to Chambers all night.

:wub:

Abso-focking-lutely....looked like he had tunnel vision. Saban will correct all these mistakes and you will see an improved C-Pep next week.

I was just happy that he got the goal line touches.

Everything else will work itself out.

62 total yards and 2 TDs against PITT's rediculous D is great... The Phin O-line looked bad and Saban turned into Martz in the 4th quarter, but that will change as the year progresses.

As for the overuse of Brown... He only touche the ball 18 times!!! The rest of the game he was doing the hitting and not getting hit. Saban could actually use him more if he wanted.

BUF... TEN... HOU... NE... NYJ... GB... CHI... MIN... DET... JAX... NE... BUF... NYJ

That's what i'm saying. Out of the 16 games that he has, he'll probably run into 2-3 games in which he may struggle. Yesterday's game was one of them....and he still managed to get me 18 points!!

Thank God for this post. I didn't watch the game and I was concerned about the 30 yards rushing on 15 carries. (Even though it was Pit D, still not encouraging). But, now I feel better. Afterall, we can't expect him to have two TDs every game. Gotta get those points somehow and 30 yards isn't going to cut it. But, I'm encouraged by what I hear.

You should be concerned with 30 yds total, his o-line sucks, a missed penalty resulted in his 1st TD, the 2nd TD could have easily been called back (miami wide receiver held the Pitt guy). On the plus side he is definately going to get the rock around the goal line and looked good when Culpepper was throwing it to him.

62 total yards and 2 TDs against PITT's rediculous D is great... The Phin's O-line looked bad and Saban turned into Martz in the 4th quarter, but that will change as the year progresses.

As for the overuse of Brown... He only touche the ball 18 times!!! The rest of the game he was doing the hitting and not getting hit. PITT gave Parker the ball 30+ times! Saban could actually use him more if he wanted.

Look at that fantasy playoff schedule.

New England week 14, could be a tough matchup.

Buffalo week 15, piece of cake

Jets week 16, jets could be playing for the 1st overall pick again

You should be concerned with 30 yds total, his o-line sucks, a missed penalty resulted in his 1st TD, the 2nd TD could have easily been called back (miami wide receiver held the Pitt guy). On the plus side he is definately going to get the rock around the goal line and looked good when Culpepper was throwing it to him.

Because as we all know, they can't call holding on every play, right?

I did see that holding on the 2nd touchdown and was shocked it wasn't called, the blocker held him and turned him around, which is usually called.

Jets week 16, jets could be playing for the 1st overall pick again

OU RB Adrian Peterson Baby!

:dunno:

Touches in no way equate to use, fact is he was in on most off the pass protection as well and if having a DE or a LB running at you and making contact is R Brown doing the hitting then Gary Coleman is a giant.

I did see that holding on the 2nd touchdown and was shocked it wasn't called, the blocker held him and turned him around, which is usually called.

Yeah, it was pretty blantant. I was surprised Madden or the other guy in the booth didn't comment on it, he turned the guy completely around.

Go watch the game again. Pittsburgh had 8 in the box a lot. They forced Cpep to beat them through the air and he just flat couldn't last night. Jitters maybe.

last night couldn't have turned out much better for me. as a jets fan i loved seeing the dolphins lose and my running back had a good night.

;) 2 thumbs up.

also about the overuse of brown, thats fine with me i hope he gets targeted on every play and puts up shaun alexander type #'s.

oh and saban is a dumb a$$, nice challenge douchbag. :P

They had Joey Porter on NFL Network last night. (locker room interview). He said the Steelers game plan going in was to stop Ronnie Brown, and to make Culpepper beat them. They thought that if they stuffed the run early, the Dolphins would abandon the run, and force Culpepper into throwing and making mistakes.

I thought it wasn't going to work for a while there. Ronnie Brown was just starting to find a little bit of running room in the third quarter. He had runs of 5,8 and then his 5 yard TD. But then it was like the Dolphins completely abandoned the run.

Brown scored his 2nd TD with 6:16 left to go in the 3rd Quarter. Putting the Dolphins up 17-14. They ran 21 plays after that. Eighteen were passes, and one was a reverse. i.e. they gave the rock to RB twice late in the game. (also the same number of costly interceptions that Culpepper threw.)

Maybe after watching this tape for the next 10 days, Mularkey and Saban will realize that Culpepper is turnover prone, and will be a little less likely to throw it 18 out of 21 times late in the game.

The Steelers haven't allowed a 100 yard rusher since 2004. That includes runners such as Alexander and L.T. Ronnie Brown not being able to ruch against the Steelers is par for the course. He did very well considering his opponent.

I gambled and took Brown a little early in one of my 10 team leagues, picked him at #5 overall. I did so based on that creampuff schedule he has majority of the year the fact that he has absolutely no competition on that team, 3rd downs or goalline. The guy is like 24 yrs old, is only in his 2nd year and basically only played a 3/4 season last year. He's not gonna wear down. NOBODY runs on the Steelers D, nobody. That team is built to stop the run and let their freakish athletes create turnovers in the secondary, which is exactly how the won that game. I don't think Brown will be a 100 yrd rusher per game like an LJ or Alexander, but I see him like a Lamont Jordan getting about 100 yrds combined and sniffing the endzone hopefully about once per game. I'm glad he got the two TD, but I don't expect it to happen frequently, but his yrds will increase as that line comes together.

The more I think about it, the more I think Ronnie Brown's running style is very similar to a young Deuce McAllister. Deuce had breakaway speed, and some shake n bake, but also ran with a ton of power. Deuce was also a very good receiver early in his career.

In watching him play last night, I think Ronnie Brown has all of those things, and he's a better blocker, and probably an even better receiver than Deuce was.

With Miami's schedule, and the fact that Ronnie is already an excellent 3rd down back, and has a nose for the endzone, I'm starting to think that numbers similar to Deuce's can be had this year.

Deuce 2002

325 rushes, 1388 yards, 13 TDs, 47 receptions 352 yards, 3 TDs

Deuce 2003

351 rushes, 1641 yards, 8 TDs, 69 receptions 516 yards.

Average of the two for Ronnie?

1514 yards rushing, 434 yards receiving, 12 TDs

Average of the two for Ronnie?

1514 yards rushing, 434 yards receiving, 12 TDs

I'd take that anyday...let's hope you're right.

I dont have Ronnie Brown on my team but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so...

I would be :blink: if I had him for this week because he did just shy of nothing the 90% of the game and managed to get 2 TD's out of it. He was not "a beast" and there was serious luck in those 2 TD's (no call for pass interference against Miami setting up the huge Welker punt return to give the fish a 15 yard short field on the first TD and the already described no call for holding on the second TD).

Here are some random thoughts about him:

He looked VERY good both times around the endzone, I would be worried about the Dolphins getting close to the endzone as they had one decent drive the whole game. The first TD was also a bit of a trick play where he lined up at FB and they did a quick handoff to him so it made his running a bit easier (just pointing it out) so that razzle dazzle play is off the table for the next 16 games. The Miami oline did not impress.

He catches the ball well (can somebody say PPR)...but Daunte is a mess (duh)

Sammy Morris is suspended and they just got Lee Suggs a week ago so of course he got 99% of the playing time, there was nobody else. My take is fairly positive on that though b/c I dont really see those guys being big play makers, just in to give him a rest and as good as he looked at the endzone I dont think he is going to get pulled for either one of them. Caveat being if Suggs ever stays healthy he has talent.

Summary:

I think Ronnie's biggest problem is Daunte. If Daunte improves I think Brown could be a monster (esp in PPR leagues) otherwise I see him having average yardage totals. If CPep starts clicking Ronnie SHOULD catch 80 balls but of course this is Daunte so most likely it will be closer to 40. Of course it is very hard to extrapolate from a single data point but 60 total yards is not impressive and TD's are not something you can count on.

Be fortunate though that he scored twice because his rushing totals were bunk

no TV reception in your area, eh? Sad for you.

:(

Because the game I watched, the O-Line wasn't opening jack, and the Pittsburgh D is menacing against the run.

Between those and CPep sucking nads most of the game, his 60+ total yards were a major achievement. He ran hard every time he touched the ball, and he was extremely difficult to bring down - he fought for an extra yard on every carry. And the moves really impressed me - very quick feet. He juked and jived past defenders for some nifty inside running that very few backs are capable of. After that performance, I'm very impressed with this young back. Against softer D's, he'll have his big rushing days - I'm not concerned about that at all.

I am officially on the bandwagon. I hated when I picked him 8th overall in my IDP league...TD heavy (10 point TDs) and he put up nice numbers for me last night. The yardage will definately come. Great young back, and I have mad man-love for him....:clap: In fact in 1" block letters I've written "R-O-N-N-I-E-B-R-O-W-N on my raging hard on. The only sad part is that I only got to R-O-N-N-*

:blink: