Sign in to follow this  
GhostofMeanMachine99

Giants@Eagles Thread

This should be a great game. Barber always lights up the Eagles when they play, Westbrook does the same.

This is a must win game for the Giants, and a proving game for the Birds.

As of right now, I would have to figure that the Giants are slight favorites. Tiki is at the top of his game, and Burress/Shockey combo is proving to be a tough matchup for anyone.

However, McNabb is back. He's healthy and trim, and appears to be throwing the best passes of his career. He has plenty of weapons at his disposal.

Both offensive lines are strong. On defense, they're both strong. Philly has the better/deeper d-line, while the Giants have a superior linebacking unit. Although the loss of Sheppard this week will hurt, the dbacks for the Eagles are proven. Hood shut down Burress in their only head to head matchup last year (4 catches, 34 yards).

I think special teams does favor the Eagles (Ackers and Johnson are kicking real well, coverage teams have been stellar).

Prediction

Eagles 20

Giants 19

Thoughts?

Eagles - 27

Giants - 24

:headbanger:

I think Buckhalter gets the winning TD in the 4th from the 2 after a PI call trying to defend the bomb to Stallworth (Eagles leading 27-17). Then, Barber gets a TD late to put a scare into the hometown faithful.

From 610WIP radio...G Cobb reported Westbrook left with the trainer during practice (Offensive sets at the time). He did not return as of the last report but nothing has been said from the Eagles. This is just a heads up to all who have him and may need to add somebody just in case. I don't own him nor does the guy I am playing this week. I wouldn't normally say this is bad but knowing Westbrook and how tightlipped Reid is, this may be something to keep an eye on until something official comes out from the team.

Despite the fact the Giants needed an OT FG to eek out a win last year against McMahon at QB I still see a tough battle ahead. This won't be easy and we can't be fooled by Eli's bad performance and Plex's acrobatic catches. We always have trouble with Tiki (*Fantasy Alert - he's rushed for over 100 yards in each game since at least 2003 *Fantasy Alert) and while they can let him run wild and score they either have to make sure nobody else does, or insure their offense is clicking on all cylinders and scoring in each quarter.

Eagles - 28

Giants - 23

Eagles 100 - Giants 0

Yeah that'll happen... :P

I favor the Giants' chances as long as that *&%$ side judge who made two erroneous calls against them in the Indy game isn't on the field. An NFL official apparently confirmed the "crackback" call against Burress shouldn't have been made--sorry, no link, just what I read in a local paper--and while that NFL representative declined comment on the offensive pass interference call on Carter because he hadn't reviewed it yet, in my opinion that was one of the worst calls I've seen in 40 years. Oh well, I suppose that official has to find some way to pay his mortgage. :P

One concern, though, is Feely--he hooked a 40 yard field goal and even made extra points somewhat suspenseful. Any Giant homers have any views about how Feely kicked in the preseason and is likely to do? I realize one game is insignificant and isn't a definitive indicator, but I thought he looked pretty shaky against Indy. Overall, though, I think the Giants are the better team, despite the fact that they're a 3 point dog, due to their running game and ability to pressure the QB. Peyton Manning made some great throws under heavy pressure--I don't think McNabb, good as he is, will have the same success, and perhaps the Giant defenders may hang on to a few of the throws that should've resulted in interceptions against P. Manning. Also, Philly's opponent last week wasn't exactly the '85 Bears (or even the '06 Bears or Giants).

NY 20, Philly 17 (I haven't decided yet if Feely will miss an extra point or rebound with 2 field goals).

Are any NYG homers worried about Chris Snee possibly not playing. My understanding is that there is a good chance he won't play on Sunday and that he is the Giants best O-lineman. Does this make it a tougher day for Tiki to run the ball, as Snee works as a road grading lineman in front of Barber?

Just want the Giant fans' opinion on this.

Are any NYG homers worried about Chris Snee possibly not playing. My understanding is that there is a good chance he won't play on Sunday and that he is the Giants best O-lineman. Does this make it a tougher day for Tiki to run the ball, as Snee works as a road grading lineman in front of Barber?

Just want the Giant fans' opinion on this.

No. Obviously Snee is the guy you want, but you can't ask for a better backup than Seubert. If Tiki has a tough day, it'll be because Philly played well, not because they were missing Snee.

No. Obviously Snee is the guy you want, but you can't ask for a better backup than Seubert. If Tiki has a tough day, it'll be because Philly played well, not because they were missing Snee.

Perfect answer. :dunno:

The Giants have depth on the O-line, and if Philly limits Barber, it won't be due to one guy's absence. Also, the Giants continued to run the ball well against Indy despite Snee's absence--a good sign.

What I want to happen= GIANTS 70 EAGLES 0

What I think will happen= EAGLES 17 GIANTS 10

Tiki and Jacobs will torch my Eagles between the 20's. But getting into the end zone will be difficult for them. Mcnabb will outplay Eli and the Eagles will win.

Eagles-24

Gmen-17

Giants really need the win. Look for Barber to have a big day.

He always has a big day against the Eagles (see my post above) Since going back to at least 2003 Barber has rushed for over 100 yards in every game, most times with a TD. That's not the problem. The Eagles have won letting him run all over the field, they just have to shut everybody else down OR make sure their own offense is clicking and scoring in each quarter.

The Giants are my team and I'm worried about the game this weekend. Their secondary is definitely not the best in the league......Not only did Harrison and Wayne seem open all night last Sunday but when Peyton did screw up and throw it right in our hands we dropped it. I'm pretty darn worried about McNabb torching us in the air....I may be a pessimist but I think of myself as a realist.

Go Giants!!

War Eagle!!

Go Big Blue!!

One of the biggest questions for me is, can the Giants DTs hold the point of attack against the Philly interrior. This is a matchup that favors Philly, and the Giants up and down DTs are going to need to step it up or their defense will struggle.

In the end, I think these are two good football teams, so ti should be a fairly close game. As such, the outcome will likely be determined by a few game changing plays here or there. Last week we saw the Giants leave some big opportunities on the field and killed themselves with mental mistakes. You can't win big football games that way, and this one will be no different.

2 Tiki Barber TDs in the first half....

Then lets see Shockey gets in for one too

Eagles manage to get one in before the half is over but they're still against the wall

First Half

Giants = 21

Eagles = 10

This is where Donovan shows the kid (ELI) how its done:

McNabb throws for two more TDs and the Eagles also fit a FG in there

Final:

Eagles = 27

Giants = 21

Tiki = 100YD + 2TD

McNabb = 300YD + 3TD

Me = :pointstosky: :dunno: :banana:

Chris Snee will be out at least 2 weeks with bone chips in his knee. Afterwards, they'll re-evaluate him and see if he needs surgery.

As for the Giants chances against the Eagles this week, Im taking the money line on em, praying to God they can keep their composure. If they can avoid False Start penalties on 3rd & 2, they have superior talent to win. Unfortunately, that seems to be a BIG IF.

I think the match up that will determine this game is the Philly D-line vs NYG O-line. If the Eagles can get pressure on Manning with the four down linemen (with a linebacker/safety thrown in here and there) and force him to throw on the run - he will make mistakes. If Manning gets time to set and progress into his second read, the Eagles secondary (minus Lito Sheppard) will be exposed and Plexi-glass, Toomer, Shockey and Barber will all end up having success.

The Eagles will put enough points on the board to win, it's whether their defense can keep enough points off the board to preserve the win.

This game is important to both these teams:

The Eagles want to establish that last year was a fluke, and 0-6 isn't going to happen in the NFC East again.

NYG want to avoid starting off 0-2 with a cross country trip to Seattle on the horizon next week.

IMHO the winner of this game uses it as a springboard to take the NFC East, the loser ends up a wild card team. Dallas and Wash both stink - stunk - stank - they both have AARP participants as QBs.

Chris Snee will be out at least 2 weeks with bone chips in his knee. Afterwards, they'll re-evaluate him and see if he needs surgery.

I've no idea where you are getting this info on Snee. The issue is his ankle, not his knee. Here is the latest update I have:

Injury Update: TE Jeremy Shockey (ankle) practiced yesterday and remains "probable" for the game against the Eagles on Sunday.

RG Chris Snee (ankle) participated in individual drills, but not the team portion of practice. He remains "questionable."

"I definitely feel a lot better," said Snee. "On Sunday night, if I put pressure on it, I would collapse. Monday and Tuesday were the same, but yesterday, once the swelling and inflammation went down, it felt a lot better. It's just a matter of feeling comfortable with the ankle. I'm not going to go out there if I'm going to hurt the team in any way. If I feel good I'll go."

He is listed as Questionable on the official injury report.

One of the biggest questions for me is, can the Giants DTs hold the point of attack against the Philly interrior. This is a matchup that favors Philly, and the Giants up and down DTs are going to need to step it up or their defense will struggle.

In the end, I think these are two good football teams, so ti should be a fairly close game. As such, the outcome will likely be determined by a few game changing plays here or there. Last week we saw the Giants leave some big opportunities on the field and killed themselves with mental mistakes. You can't win big football games that way, and this one will be no different.

One thing to look for in the 2nd half is the possibility of the Giants' o-line wearing down. The Eagles defensive scheme revolves around the ability to rotate 2 entire quality defensive lines.

In the 2nd half of last week's game, the sacks started coming. At one point, David Carr was running for his life on every play.

The addition of Howard has been a tremendous asset because Kease is getting one-on-one matchups, and he's causing all kinds of havoc for opposing offenses.

My unlikely hero for Sunday's game is LJ Smith. The Giants can't cover him when he splits out wide. The Eagles are gonna have the same kind of problem with Shockey. However, I think LJ's ready to take some national spotlight (and not because of fumbles and dropped passes in the SB).

One thing to look for in the 2nd half is the possibility of the Giants' o-line wearing down. The Eagles defensive scheme revolves around the ability to rotate 2 entire quality defensive lines.

In the 2nd half of last week's game, the sacks started coming. At one point, David Carr was running for his life on every play.

There is no question the guys up front are a real strength for Philly on both sides of the ball. I had heard that too, that they rotate the entire d-line. I think the pressure will come, though likely from the blitz. As for David Carr, his running for his life is pretty much a given. It's going to be interesting, no doubt.

There is no question the guys up front are a real strength for Philly on both sides of the ball. I had heard that too, that they rotate the entire d-line. I think the pressure will come, though likely from the blitz. As for David Carr, his running for his life is pretty much a given. It's going to be interesting, no doubt.

Agreed. If the Giants handle the pressure, and force Johnson to throw more blitzes at them, they'll have a better chance at breaking open the game with a big play.

Keep your eye on up and coming superstar in the making Trent Cole. I've told many people that he reminds me alot of Hugh Douglass, both in his stature and the way he plays the game.

One thing the Giants won't do that the Texans did last week was to attempt to block Kearse with a TE. Most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

At one point, David Carr was running for his life on every play.

He's also been the most sacked QB the past couple seasons, by far, so this will be a much better test. But They do have great depth in there and this rotation of theirs is unique. I think Philly will also try and get after Eli with the blitz.

One of the more interesting aspects of this game for me is the fact that Philly is such a vastly different team than Indi in terms of their makeup. Indi is small and fast and a pure finess team. Philly will be big and physical. This will be true NFC East football.

As an FYI, I'm hearing Westbrook is still considered probable, but missed practice again today. No link on this tough, just an email from a friend.

He's also been the most sacked QB the past couple seasons, by far, so this will be a much better test. But They do have great depth in there and this rotation of theirs is unique. I think Philly will also try and get after Eli with the blitz.

One of the more interesting aspects of this game for me is the fact that Philly is such a vastly different team than Indi in terms of their makeup. Indi is small and fast and a pure finess team. Philly will be big and physical. This will be true NFC East football.

The line matches going both ways will be great to watch. The Eagles' o-line is huge. Shawn Andrews is starting to show everyone that he's about to make that leap to all-pro status. McNabb seems to be very comfortable with the way they pass protect as well. The pocket's not breaking down like it did last year, and even if there is a decent rush up the middle, there are lanes for McNabb to take off and run. He's definitely not afraid nor stubborn to run.

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this game. We're all gonna witness some good smashmouth football on Sunday, no effin' doubt about it. :mad:

and while that NFL representative declined comment on the offensive pass interference call on Carter because he hadn't reviewed it yet, in my opinion that was one of the worst calls I've seen in 40 years. Oh well, I suppose that official has to find some way to pay his mortgage. :cheers:
AMEN !

Should be a very good game, with solid play from both sides. As was previously stated, the line matchups will be very interesting to watch, to say the least. The Eagles have a big and physical O-line, and the Giants have to very fast DEs that can rush the QB.

On the other end, the Eagles are unique in that they have 2 defensive lines and they will rotate them in and out. The Giants O-line is much improved and even if Snee misses the game, Seubert can step in as a starter on most teams. If the Eagles can get to Eli, there's a chance he can get rattled. If, however, the Giants can protect Eli, he'll be able to pick his receivers and put the ball on the money.

Either way, it'll be some good old hit you in the mouth football.

Final Score:

Giants 28

Eagles 24

:banana:

This game is all about Tiki Barber IMO. I have no doubt that Philly will put up 21+ points on the Giants. The big question to me is whether Tiki runs wild. If the Giants can't get their running game going they're in serious trouble because Philly can really bring the heat and Eli Manning is still mistake prone. I think the Eagles' superior QB and defense will be the difference: 24-21 Eagles.