Sign in to follow this  
Revo

Where has rock music gone?

I think they are they exception. From what I have heard they are all heavy, all the time. (and were great at Ozzfest, BTW) :cheers: The lead singer is a little preachy between songs though.

His dad is a preacher. Might have a little to do with it.

I dig that new Audioslave song :cry: :cry: :banana: , Original Fire.

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on (x4)

With a pen in one hand, taking a stand Drugged on kerosene

Eighty-four and five would find us something to believe

Right or wrong with dirty hands on wires

Singing songs in dischord choirs

Screaming in braille, no temptress prize

could ever yield anything so real

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on (x2)

Golden soldiers born much older than they'll ever live to be

Diving into a sea of hands in a long Forgotten city

Here the rain falls ever after

The strangled vines hang dead in rafters

Blood rush to your head induces laughter Endlessly

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on

The original fire has died and long gone, but the riot inside moves on

Can't explain it, it was something to see

Can't contain something so ever real

Ever real

Can't explain it, it was something to see

Can't contain something so ever real

Ever real

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on

There are so many unknown bands out there that are absolutely killer.

For fans of Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc.:

Dream Theater

Symphony X

Porcupine Tree

Pain of Salvation

For fans of Metallica, Megadeth, etc.:

Nevermore

Iced Earth

Mastodon

For anyone who thinks they are truly open-minded:

Buckethead

Seriously, all are top notch artists that are worth checking out. I've amassed quite the rock CD collection in my 18 years and I have everything from classic mainstream stuff like Led Zeppelin, all the way to obscure bands like Sunn O))) and Magic Elf.

I don't know if I've heard a bad Foo Fighters album...

Good point, but I don't know if I categorize them as "new", since they've been making good music for several years.

Also.... I dunno what the rest of their shat sounds like but I REALLY dig

BYOB - System of a Down

nice rockin guitar... chage it up a bit in a few spots... a little political.. good times in general... :pointstosky:

7 Nation Army - The White Stripes

Coldplay, Blink 182, ###### Surfers (that Pepper song), Audioslave, Rammstein...

there's lots of good music out there... maybe it's that you just don't like ALL the songs of the band like back in the day... I'm a pick and choose type of guy..

buy hey.. that's the greata thing about digital music.. I don't have to like the whole 8 Track you old mother focker.

I don't even do that. I'm not even entirely sure how I find new music these days. It's just there. I suppose I hear it at work when I listen to The Current.

The Current is picking up one of the best DJs in the biz soon - Barb from the recently defunct (this past Friday) WOXY.com. You're very lucky up there.

Minnesota Public Radio's The Current Names

WOXY.com's Barb Abney as On-Air Host

(St. Paul)—September 7, 2006—Minnesota Public Radio's The Current announced today that Barb Abney will join the station as a weekday on-air host, 9 a.m.-noon, beginning Oct. 3.

Abney comes to The Current from Cincinnati's WOXY.com, one of the premiere alternative stations in the country. During the past 12 years, Abney has served as a daily on-air host, where she picked all her own music and interviewed countless bands, including We Are Scientists, Radio 4 and Concrete Blonde. WOXY.com announced last week that it will cease operations on Sept. 15. For more information, go to www.woxy.com.

"Barb has more than a decade of radio experience at one of the best independent radio stations in the country," said Steve Nelson, program director for The Current. "We are honored that she will bring her experience and talent to The Current."

"I've been following the progress of The Current since its inception," said Abney. "I am thrilled to be given the opportunity to join the station and grow along with them."

Abney's first shift will start at 9 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 3, on The Current, KCMP 89.3 FM in the Twin Cities, KMSE 88.7 FM in Rochester, and online at www.mpr.org/thecurrent.

About The Current

The Current began in 2005 as a non-commercial, member-supported Minnesota Public Radio station. Since then, the station has grown into a far-reaching community, and its Web audience includes members from around the world. Wherever it's heard—on the radio, on the Internet or through an iPod—The Current brings listeners the best authentic new music alongside music that explores its roots and influences.

The corporate swine got a hold of the music industry and the results are predictable. That's not to say there isn't good music out there, there is. One of the problems is with radio: used to be the disc jockeys could play whatever they wanted and not just the same old songs over and over. :headbanger:

I'm personally too ancient to bother with bands that are just coming up, but as long as kids are willing to give the finger to the last generation, good rock and roll music will find a way to survive. :P

' date='Sep 15 2006, 01:23 PM' post='2696133']

iby the way, jessy:

i ordered from electric fetus and cdwow. both due to the fact that you brought them to my attention.

gracias.

:banana:

De nada!

The Current is picking up one of the best DJs in the biz soon - Barb from the recently defunct (this past Friday) WOXY.com. You're very lucky up there.

Awesome! They already have great DJs (I have a serious crush on Mary Lucia, who does the 3-7 slot) and that station is the best thing to have happened to the Minneapolis music scene in a while. They're really great about playing local acts, too.

You want rock? Jack White is your boy.

All of the White Stripes albums are awesome, and the two he's done with The Raconteurs kick ass too.

And it isn't that "Nu metal" crap. Its good ole blues based guitar rock.

Every single generation goes through this same disconnect.

"Whatever happened to all the good music, music sucks nowadays, they just don't make it like they used to, blah blah blah."

Open up your ears - and minds- and great music is everywhere. Given that you have the internet and all of its resources- search engines, download sites, web forums, online music magazines and web reviews, etc.- it is easier than ever.

TR-spot on! The lines of music have blurred. Where once you had pure rock, disco, ©rap, punk, reggae, etc., you can't really put music in a nice little box and give it a name. So many artists have crossed genres recently, it's just a matter of time before music wont have labels.

The Raconteurs are one band I have really taken a liking to out of the newer bands. The Fray aren't bad to a degree.

As for newer bands like Maroon 5, Coldplay, Five for Fighting, is it me or do most of their voices come over as whiny?

I'll take Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Rush and the classic rock acts any day.

Tool is about the only band I'm able to tolerate anymore. I liked some of Velvet Revolver's stuff (but they split) and some of Audioslave (ditto) but 98% of the music I keep on my mp3 player is pre-2000.

I like the Killers and Blue October. Ironically it's probably because of their "throwback" sound. :shocking: