Sign in to follow this  
gpann101

RT Sports has Marques Colston listed as...

Sweet if true,picked him up from WW. Is Horn surplanted by an undrafted rookie?

Horn is the #1 reciever there but it has been a while since he played like it. Age and injury have taken its toll. (Think Jimmy Smith last year). I know Horn got called out by his coach last week so maybe he steps it up. But as I said in a different post . Colston is that close to being there defacto #1. Ofcourse that is after Bush who probally there best receaving threat.

I think there are a lot of factors working in Colston's favor:

1. Horn is coming into the twilight of his career, he will be 35 in January.

2. From eveything I've heard the coaching staff say about him, they seem to love him.

3. Brees has said that Colston can do it all and called him his go to guy.

4. He seems to have a great attitude.

I feel very good about the chances of him ending up with the best WR stats for N.O. at the end of the year. Considering that I got him off of waivers in every league I'm in, there really is no risk associated with him.

I think there are a lot of factors working in Colston's favor:

1. Horn is coming into the twilight of his career, he will be 35 in January.

2. From eveything I've heard the coaching staff say about him, they seem to love him.

3. Brees has said that Colston can do it all and called him his go to guy.

4. He seems to have a great attitude.

I feel very good about the chances of him ending up with the best WR stats for N.O. at the end of the year. Considering that I got him off of waivers in every league I'm in, there really is no risk associated with him.

Yes, it's early to make these predictions but I see this comparison pretty clearly...

Colston = Gates (Brees' favorite target for intermediate and short stuff and the #1 non-RB receiving option)

Horn = McCardel (older vet who will get those rare deep outs that Brees often avoids)

Bush/McAllister = LT2 (tons of carries and receptions)

Brees has uncanny accuracy and he doesn't need guys with great deep speed or shiftyness who get separation. He just needs/likes a big, sure handed target who can work underneath (like Gates and now Colston).

Yes, Gates is a special talent but with Rivers, he just looks like a nice TE - not the comprehensive offensive weapon he was with Brees. Colston with any other QB would look like just another big rookie WR/TE (maybe a guy good for a red zone look or two) but with Brees - he'll become "Baby Gates".

When I saw the way Breed jumped up and down for Colston's TD, I was sold on Colston. :cheers:

Yes, it's early to make these predictions but I see this comparison pretty clearly...

Colston = Gates (Brees' favorite target for intermediate and short stuff and the #1 non-RB receiving option)

Horn = McCardel (older vet who will get those rare deep outs that Brees often avoids)

Bush/McAllister = LT2 (tons of carries and receptions)

Brees has uncanny accuracy and he doesn't need guys with great deep speed or shiftyness who get separation. He just needs/likes a big, sure handed target who can work underneath (like Gates and now Colston).

Yes, Gates is a special talent but with Rivers, he just looks like a nice TE - not the comprehensive offensive weapon he was with Brees. Colston with any other QB would look like just another big rookie WR/TE (maybe a guy good for a red zone look or two) but with Brees - he'll become "Baby Gates".

When I saw the way Breed jumped up and down for Colston's TD, I was sold on Colston. :rolleyes:

The fact they traded away Stallworth doesn't hurt either.

The fact they traded away Stallworth doesn't hurt either.

Yep, I was shocked at first that they traded Stallworth but now I realize why they could - Colston's development and Stallworth wasn't the right fit for Brees b/c he's a deep speed guy and Brees is an underneath passer.

I've seen all the Saint's games this year, including the preseason. Horn is the #1, Colston the #2. The only reason Colston is outperforming Horn right now is because Horn didn't really play in the preseason, so Brees has gotten a raport with Colston having played with him a lot more. Horn will eventually become the #1. Colston is great, a fantastic pick that late in the draft, but I actually think #3 (or #4) Jamal Jones on the depth chart is more talented. Colston should keep the #2 throughout the year, though, and I think he'll put up the same stats as Stally last year, with many fewer dropped balls. Everytime a ball was thrown to Stally my heart started beating a little faster, Colston simply doesn't drop anything.