Sign in to follow this  
Skinny_Bastard

What did Volek lie about?

""I never at anytime in my career have gone into such detail (about a trade). But I felt the responsibility, as Billy felt he was thrown under the bus," Fisher said. "Billy threw this organization under the bus, along with a number of his teammates."'

I wonder who Volek slept with? Fisher's daugther....wife.....or mother.... ....or grand mother... :(

fisher is a total poosay...i'm going to trade him and then blast the hell out of him after the fact. volek has kept his mouth shut through this whole situation, why couldn't fisher?

"hey, everyone! Billy Volek is a LIAR!!! " ;)

what did he lie about?:huh:

"not tellin" :cheers:

Coach Fisher's Wednesday practice report

HEAD COACH JEFF FISHER, SEPTEMBER 20, 2006

(on trading QB Billy Volek)

I'm going to start this off by talking about Billy Volek and the quarterback situation. First let me preface by saying that you guys have been around me long enough to know that I'm going to reserve comments. I'm not going to reveal an awful lot. I'm going to protect players whenever possible. I feel in an effort to set the record straight, to protect this organization, to protect this coaching staff, that I'm going to share some things with you. They are as follows.

Last summer Billy's agent (Drew Rosenhaus) was out here on the practice field and requested a trade because he was not happy here because he wanted to be a starter. That did not sit very well with me, nor did it sit well with his teammates including Steve McNair. So Billy came in and according to Billy did his job last year. It's up for question whether or not he really committed himself last year because I'm confident that by Billy's comments, requesting the trade last summer, that he felt like he was going to be out of here at the end of the season.

So Billy is named the starter after Steve is traded. Let me explain something. There's a distinct difference between a starting quarterback role and backup quarterback role. At the time in which Billy was named the starter, we gave him every opportunity, and that includes a lot more than just (what) goes on in preseason games. That involves things during the offseason, and we got off to a great start because Billy's first week as a starter he was untruthful with me, untruthful with his head coach, about where he was and what he was doing. So we started off on the wrong page there and that did not sit well with me.

So we get through, we go into training camp, and the day Kerry Collins walks in here, Billy Volek is in my office, in Floyd's (Reese) office, demanding a trade. Kerry Collins was brought in here to give us experience at the quarterback position because as I said when Vince Young went down on the practice field, I was concerned about the lack of experience. From that moment on, Billy Volek has been asking and demanding a trade and the reason he was quiet is because he was told that we would look into it and that we would try to pursue that. That's why Billy Volek was quiet about that.

Billy never at one time said I'm here to compete, I'm going to do this. And all it was was just a little bit of competition. I'm very sorry that Billy misunderstood the situation, but we were very, very clear from the get go. As the head coach and as the person whose making decisions as far as this football team's concerned I in no way am going to play somebody that has demanded to be traded time after time after time. If that doesn't make sense to anybody, then I'm sorry for that.

We knew that the trade was going to work out; we were pushing forward. It makes no sense to trade someone to a team that we're going to play. We went ahead and executed the trade. Now yesterday in my office Billy Volek came in and thanked me for everything and I commended him for the way he handled things. I told Billy that basically I was going to lift him up and wish him well, and that's exactly what he told me in front of his wife. That there were no hard feelings, absolutely nothing, and then he felt compelled to set a record straight, which is not accurate. His record and his comments were not accurate. Kerry Collins came in here, the first day Kerry Collins came in here, the staff was unanimous about trading Billy Volek, unanimous across the board because we felt that was what's best for this organization because Billy Volek wanted to be traded time after time after time.

Now in closing I wish Billy luck. I've never at anytime in my career gone into such detail, but I felt the responsibility because as Billy felt he was thrown under the bus, Billy threw this organization under the bus along with a number of his teammates.

(on if he'll clarify about what Volek lied about)

No, I'm not going to go into it. I'm not going to go into it, but that's the truth. I'm going to tell the truth. I'm telling you the truth, and it was just disappointing to me. The best thing for us to have done was wish him well, which we did, and go on his way. Again, there's a difference between assuming a role as a starter and a backup role. There's a distinct difference between those two positions. In the club's opinion based on what transpired, he was not suited to be a starter.

(on if he addressed the team about Volek)

Basically what I told the team is we've made decisions in the best interest of the team and the organization and we're moving forward, enough said.

(on the difference between the backup and starting quarterbacks' roles)

There's a lot of things different that come into play.

(on where Volek fell short in the starting quarterback's role)

He had ample opportunities in our opinion. He didn't come through.

(on if Volek missed meetings)

No, Billy never missed a meeting. He was always on time.

:banana:

Teams like the Raiders and Titans make me feel like the Lions just might not be the most dysfunctional franchise in sports.

""I never at anytime in my career have gone into such detail (about a trade). But I felt the responsibility, as Billy felt he was thrown under the bus," Fisher said. "Billy threw this organization under the bus, along with a number of his teammates."'

I wonder who Volek slept with? Fisher's daugther....wife.....or mother.... ....or grand mother... :blink:

Must have been his son, brother, father, or grandfather to garner this type of reaction from the head coach. I was praying he'd get traded to KC, so I could claim him and bench Jake Delhomme. Oh well...

Must have been his son, brother, father, or grandfather to garner this type of reaction from the head coach. I was praying he'd get traded to KC, so I could claim him and bench Jake Delhomme. Oh well...

I'm sure it was something stupid...

like "hey Billy can you come in this week to go over the new play book?".

"No coach I can't I had a death in the family".

Then 2 weeks later there are photos of Billy in Vegas.

The Titans are in utter disarray right now--both as a team and as an organization. I was fairly optimistic after this offseason due to some nice acquisitions through FA & the draft (i.e. Thornton, Mawae, Givens, Hope, Young, White, Tulloch, etc.) and some underperforming players who were wisely let go (i.e. Justin Hartwig, Steve McNair, Tank Williams, etc.).

HOWEVER, this whole Volek situation stinks. I was in favor of bringing in Kerry Collins, but only as insurance if Volek got injured and Young took longer than expected to progress. However, the Titans' decision to choose Collins over Volek is idiotic. While he lacks Collins arm-strength, Volek can make all the throws, has more experience in the offense, has a rapport with the WRs, is more mobile, and is a better decision maker.

Collins has been AWFUL thus far. Last week, his QB rating was 1.3...FREAKIN' 1.3!!! Collins has consistently made the wrong reads and, on the rare occasion that he's found the open WR, has frequently overthrown or underthrown his WRs by 5-10 yards (you know...when he isn't throwing INTs). In fact, the chants for Volek could be heard during TV broadcasts during the Titans-Jets game.

You'd think that Vince Young would get a chance since he played OK (and certainly MUCH better than Collins) in limited time. However, Fisher has already said that Collins is his starter. Now, I've defended Fisher in the past; but it's time to seriously consider replacing this entire coaching staff--Fisher (while a solid coach) doesn't make the right adjustments during the game, Norm Chow's offense is way, way, WAY too vanilla (and completely predictable), and Jim Schwartz defensive gameplans don't take advange of the defender's athleticism and never utilize any type of blitzing.

It's already clear that the only thing that Titans' fans can look forward to is next season's draft, where the Titans will surely be picking in the top 3-5. Calvin Johnson, 2007 draft!!!

Rant done...

It is pretty well known that the Titans were extremely upset about Volek's work ethic in the weight room, at OTA's and in the classroom. Basically he had big time attitude upon the moving of McNair, and never went to work to assure his de facto elevation. Several warning shots were fired to motivate him, and apparently upon the signing of Collins he went further in the tank instead of being a man and claiming his job. I would have to assume the "lie" was about missing practice/OTA/fim sessions, can't imagine what else it could possibly be.

Guest Johnny Holmes

Volek told Fisher that Vince Young would succeed in the NFL. :doublethumbsup:

[/size]

:banana:

Teams like the Raiders and Titans make me feel like the Lions just might not be the most dysfunctional franchise in sports.

didnt the titans just finnish a run of 4 playoffs in 5 years, including a superbowl appearence, and the raiders were decent untill gannon had his carrear ending injury. The lions would wish for these teams track records over the last 10 years

I've been baffled by the kooky QB merry-go-round lately ....

San Fran trades Rattay and throw Smith to the wolves. The team looked decent under Rat I thought.

Tampa Bay's overconfidence in Simms, let Griese go. Now Gruden seems ready to throw him under the bus.

Raiders wait until every available quarterback is snatched up off the market and then seemingly shrug their shoulders and point to Brooks.

Titans let McNair go. Everyone assumes it's because they like Volek. Then they bounce him for Collins. :blink:

It's weird to me how cavalier teams can be about who will helm their team. Granted, there's probably more to every story than we'll ever know but still ...

Im sure it was something stupid like how much he trained in the offseason or how much time he spent reading the playbook or breaking down film. Obviosuly it wasn't something horrible like bangin underage girls or he would have been cut or traded right then..

I guess it's best both parties went their differnt ways.

My how the titans have fallen after coming up 1 yard short in the superbowl. Not as abrupt as the Raiders decline, but the Titans were a very young and promising team. Fischer is a good coach, but maybe he's worn out his welcome and started to go a little crazy over there.

Seriously, did anyone outside of Nashville really care about this story until Fischer started talking?

fisher is a total poosay...i'm going to trade him and then blast the hell out of him after the fact. volek has kept his mouth shut through this whole situation, why couldn't fisher?

"hey, everyone! Billy Volek is a LIAR!!! " :wall:

what did he lie about?:ninja:

"not tellin" :thumbsup:

Ummm...because Volek did not keep his mouth shut. That is what this is about...on his way out of town he was blasting the team.

My how the titans have fallen after coming up 1 yard short in the superbowl. Not as abrupt as the Raiders decline, but the Titans were a very young and promising team. Fischer is a good coach, but maybe he's worn out his welcome and started to go a little crazy over there.

Seriously, did anyone outside of Nashville really care about this story until Fischer started talking?

Floyd Reese the GM will be gone before Fisher...just look at some of his drafts...PacMan, Wolfolk, Calico....and so on....not so good....

Ummm...because Volek did not keep his mouth shut. That is what this is about...on his way out of town he was blasting the team.

Floyd Reese the GM will be gone before Fisher...just look at some of his drafts...PacMan, Wolfolk, Calico....and so on....not so good....

my bad, what did volek even say? i guess, when volek speaks he doesn't get any attention. :dunno:

my bad, what did volek even say? i guess, when volek speaks he doesn't get any attention. :dunno:

Just to reporters talking about how the team threw him under the bus and this and that...Id have to search for any quotes...but he was not very kind with his words as he left town.

Volek claimed he was an NFL quarterback.

No one knows lying better than you. :dunno:

I wonder who Volek slept with? Fisher's daugther....wife.....or mother.... ....or grand mother... :blink:

Maybe ***** ruined Fisher's 2004 Fantasy Superbowl - he sure ruined mine with that pathetic Christmas Day performance against the Broncos. Since then ***** is persona non grata on my fantasy team ;)

I've been baffled by the kooky QB merry-go-round lately ....

San Fran trades Rattay and throw Smith to the wolves. The team looked decent under Rat I thought.

Tampa Bay's overconfidence in Simms, let Griese go. Now Gruden seems ready to throw him under the bus.

Raiders wait until every available quarterback is snatched up off the market and then seemingly shrug their shoulders and point to Brooks.

Titans let McNair go. Everyone assumes it's because they like Volek. Then they bounce him for Collins. :blink:

It's weird to me how cavalier teams can be about who will helm their team. Granted, there's probably more to every story than we'll ever know but still ...

And add to this the Minnesota Vikings trade away Daunte Cullpepper and go with a 38yr old quarterback in Brad Johnson. Who since taking over for Cullpecker is 9-2. WAIT, this is a goooooooooood thing :blink: ;) :headbanger:

Just to reporters talking about how the team threw him under the bus and this and that...Id have to search for any quotes...but he was not very kind with his words as he left town.

no one would have even known he had said anything if fisher wouldn't have gone of his rant like a 4 year old.

no one would have even known he had said anything if fisher wouldn't have gone of his rant like a 4 year old.

He is on Mike and Mike right now.

But yes...around here, people would know...and it would end up getting published elsewhere as well.

Part of it is that when Billy left the Titans complex...it was kind of a thing where they would part amicably...then Volek shot off his mouth....

Fisher is feeling a bit of pressure as well...though not as if decisions like this are even his anyway.

He is on Mike and Mike right now.

But yes...around here, people would know...and it would end up getting published elsewhere as well.

Part of it is that when Billy left the Titans complex...it was kind of a thing where they would part amicably...then Volek shot off his mouth....

Fisher is feeling a bit of pressure as well...though not as if decisions like this are even his anyway.

it wouldn't have been a national issue like it is now.

the titan's have shown themselves to be completely incompetent in their whole QB situation. first they should have traded volek years ago when they could have got AT least a second round pick...then they totally fock over mcnair. now they bring in trash like kerry collins to throw 20 ints and have the fans demanding for vince young already.

volek was right, they did fock him AND the team over.

it wouldn't have been a national issue like it is now.

the titan's have shown themselves to be completely incompetent in their whole QB situation. first they should have traded volek years ago when the could have got AT least a second round pick...then they totally fock over mcnair. now they bring in trash like kerry collins to throw 20 ints and have the fans demanding for vince young already.

volek was right, they did fock him AND the team over.

Fock over McNair? Please...he and his agent knew it would be time to renotiate that deal...that he would never see that baloon payment...he knew they would not pony up the type of money he was wanting.

Years ago they could not trade Volek because of McNair's injury history and they were still making runs at the playoffs and needed a capable backup.

They went after Collins when Young banged his hand on a player and they were unsure of how serious it would end up being.

By many accounts...Volek never took charge and worked to be the starting QB....missed time in the offseason (possibly what the lie was about)...and was awful in his time during the preseason. Focked him over? Not really....he was given the chances...he failed.

Focked the team over? Not really, I do not see Collins as anything more than a time filler until Young is ready...basically what Volek was going to be.

Fock over McNair? Please...he and his agent knew it would be time to renotiate that deal...that he would never see that baloon payment...he knew they would not pony up the type of money he was wanting.

Years ago they could not trade Volek because of McNair's injury history and they were still making runs at the playoffs and needed a capable backup.

They went after Collins when Young banged his hand on a player and they were unsure of how serious it would end up being.

By many accounts...Volek never took charge and worked to be the starting QB....missed time in the offseason (possibly what the lie was about)...and was awful in his time during the preseason. Focked him over? Not really....he was given the chances...he failed.

Focked the team over? Not really, I do not see Collins as anything more than a time filler until Young is ready...basically what Volek was going to be.

wow, have you switched to titan koolaid? it's almost as if this spin had come directly from the titans news letter.

The reason why Fisher has never before gone into such details is Fisher has never before had his job security in a worst state. It's been a bad run over the last couple years. Real bad. The whole organization is stumbling. They get rid of McNair, knowing that Young wasn't even close to being ready, then look like fools by signing Collins at the last minute out of desperation to start. I'm not absolving Volek of anything, I think he was pouting about them drafting Young and then again when they picked up Collins. He must have felt that the job was handed to him when McNair left.

Neither side comes out looking good in this at all. The fact that Fisher is lashing out like this shows how insecure he is about the situation in Tennessee. He neve before felt like he had to explain himself. Nothing he said yesterday though makes the Titans look any better IMO. If anything, it reveals how bad things have gotten there.

The reason why Fisher has never before gone into such details is Fisher has never before had his job security in a worst state. It's been a bad run over the last couple years. Real bad. The whole organization is stumbling. They get rid of McNair, knowing that Young wasn't even close to being ready, then look like fools by signing Collins at the last minute out of desperation to start. I'm not absolving Volek of anything, I think he was pouting about them drafting Young and then again when they picked up Collins. He must have felt that the job was handed to him when McNair left.

Neither side comes out looking good in this at all. The fact that Fisher is lashing out like this shows how insecure he is about the situation in Tennessee. He neve before felt like he had to explain himself. Nothing he said yesterday though makes the Titans look any better IMO. If anything, it reveals how bad things have gotten there.

:thumbsup:

I saw most of the interview on NFL Live and pretty much got out of it what the following posts said:

It is pretty well known that the Titans were extremely upset about Volek's work ethic in the weight room, at OTA's and in the classroom. Basically he had big time attitude upon the moving of McNair, and never went to work to assure his de facto elevation. Several warning shots were fired to motivate him, and apparently upon the signing of Collins he went further in the tank instead of being a man and claiming his job. I would have to assume the "lie" was about missing practice/OTA/fim sessions, can't imagine what else it could possibly be.

:thumbsup:

Volek said the Titans lied to him. (I believe it was about him being the #1 QB)

Billy Volek = Ashley Lelie.

Both want to be starters but they are not good enough. They don't want to work hard enough to make it so they both demand a trade. Now they are on their new teams and are still not starting.

wow, have you switched to titan koolaid? it's almost as if this spin had come directly from the titans news letter.

No...I live in Nashville and read and see and listen to quite a bit about the team.

Mortenson was on the radio today and said the "lie" was something about Volek not showing up at an off season workout and telling the team he was out of town, and then somebody found out he was at home in Nashville. Mort indicated he was doing a piece on it for Sunday.

What did Volek lie about?

Two things: He claimed he caught a 7 1/2 lb. perch, and he claimed that he has read 60 books this year. :pointstosky:

If you read Fish's conference notes, he said that Billy wanted a trade last year and ended up not getting it. After McNair was dealt, and the titans went out and drafted Vince Young, Billy Volek probably went out and spoke to other teams about acquiring him via trade. This is the ONLY thing that i can think of that could had caused so much tension.

Mortenson was on the radio today and said the "lie" was something about Volek not showing up at an off season workout and telling the team he was out of town, and then somebody found out he was at home in Nashville. Mort indicated he was doing a piece on it for Sunday.

This makes sense, but seems VERY petty for the Titans to get their panties in a wad.

To me, it sounds like a bruised Jeff Fisher and Floyd Reese ego, along with Bud Adams egging them along.

Another stupid mistake by the Titans, IMO, unless they are truly playing for Adrian Peterson in the upcoming NFL draft.

The truth of the matter is....the titans did screw Volek BIG TIME. Here is a guy that have done everything that was asked upon him and when he did start he had performed well.

Here are his numbers:

7 games

63% completion rate

4 TD and 1 INT

QB rating of 101.4

10 games

61.1% completion rate

18 TD and 10 INT

QB rating of 87.1

In 2005, his numbers regressed...but i wonder how much of that is a lack of focus and distractions from the whole QB situation. The Titans should had shipped McNair out of town after the 04 season and had Billy be "The MAN"...instead they screwed everything up.