Sign in to follow this  
Meglamaniac

LCD vs Plasma

How would I know what you do, other than make up cool stories? :dunno:

Other then it being common knowledge...also I'm just the editor, the writers and producers are the ones that make up stories.

I'm currently in the market and I'll probably end up with DLP...

Go LCos. SXRD is sick.

the screen on the lcd is better.

Talk about talking out your ass, how is curlynight?

I'll agree with the latter comment, but LCD is not a superior TV. My guess is that you were in the market for a TV a year ago and are speaking now what the gospel was then. ######'s changed.

Go LCos. SXRD is sick.

That's the one I'm probably going to get.

Took a look at that just to see it when looking around for production HD monitors...didn't find one with LCoS(production monitor), but that's the one I want for the house.

Go LCos. SXRD is sick.

I'll agree with the latter comment, but LCD is not a superior TV. My guess is that you were in the market for a TV a year ago and are speaking now what the gospel was then. ######'s changed.

I bought my LCD TV in 2004. It was the first 1080p set produced. It was superior to any rear projection set at the time, including DLP. sxrd was not around. It was between the panny plasma and the LCD. I liked the picture on the panny a little better due to the deeper blacks, but the LCD won out due to its other advantages (larger screen (45"), better anti-reflective screen, ability to view 4x3 material, 1080p vs 768p, etc). sh!t gets better every year, I know it's not even the best LCD around now, no question not the best TV anymore, but it's still a focking great picture.

no offense, but I just 4 weeks researching this...along with a degree in television production.

you are talking out of your ass, your opinion on picture quality carries absolutely no weight with me.

Did you get that degree in television production from devry? Did you get to keep your tools when you completed your training?

Your opinion on anything carries no weight as long as you continue to lie out your ass about internet people (ju-day, curlynight, etc)

Other then it being common knowledge...also I'm just the editor, the writers and producers are the ones that make up stories.

I suppose if you state it often enough it becomes common knowledge. I also hear you play poker online and think you're pretty good. Guess where I heard that.

Also, why are you just an editor when you've got so many cool stories to tell? Seems like you're selling yourself short in the real world. :pointstosky:

I started researching this last year and found that you'll find a host of drawbacks for any type of TV on the market. There's way too much information to digest and it's all opinion anyhow. Also, the people who have advice to give are fucking know it all dicklickers like Gutterboy who rarely deal with actual human beings.

So, I went with the biggest and most expensive TV I could find. I rarely watch TV, so it was important to have something that looked really fucking cool hanging on the wall.

I don't regret for a second spending nearly $5K on a TV I am rarely home to watch.

That's my recommendation.

HTH@#!@

I started researching this last year and found that you'll find a host of drawbacks for any type of TV on the market. There's way too much information to digest and it's all opinion anyhow. Also, the people who have advice to give are fucking know it all dicklickers like Gutterboy who rarely deal with actual human beings.

So, I went with the biggest and most expensive TV I could find. I rarely watch TV, so it was important to have something that looked really fucking cool hanging on the wall.

I don't regret for a second spending nearly $5K on a TV I am rarely home to watch.

That's my recommendation.

HTH@#!@

To be honest, I'd prolly trust Swerski's opinion over the rest of youse, even though....he really didnt give a specific one here... :cheers:

When Swerski speaks *I* listen. Especially when he calls Gutterboy a dicklicker. :golfclap:

To be honest, I'd prolly trust Swerski's opinion over the rest of youse, even though....he really didnt give a specific one here... :cheers:

You need to read between the snark and sarcasm to get my point. Go to the TV store, pick out a TV that you think has a nice picture, haggle down the price a bit, and buy it.

If you're not really a geek for this kind of shit like Gutter and the other videophile assjavelins, just get what you think is cool.

Don't overthink it and reseaerch shit you're not familiar with.

You need to read between the snark and sarcasm to get my point. Go to the TV store, pick out a TV that you think has a nice picture, haggle down the price a bit, and buy it.

If you're not really a geek for this kind of shit like Gutter and the other videophile assjavelins, just get what you think is cool.

This is where I was going overall. I was sorta overwhlemed with all the data, opinions and rapidly developing technology. I felt as though i should be safe to just walk into a store (since they usually put all the TV's in a row next to each other) and just pick the screen that looks the best... :cheers:

Go LCos. SXRD is sick.

I've owned the 50" Sony SXRD since June. It quite simply is the best picture on any TV I have ever seen.

I was completely sold on a Toshiba DLP model after researching for a month and when I saw Sony's version of LCos (SXRD technology) in the store there was absolutely no comparison.

I had Circuit City and Best Buy going back in forth lowering the price. Best Buy gave me the TV and the Sony stand for about 3G's. It's the best 3G's I've ever spent hands down. :unsure:

Check this out: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.a...p;page_number=1

I've got a Hitachi 55" Plasma that I won in a work sales contest & while I absolutely love the picture, I am scared to focking death I'm going to do something stupid with it. I threatened death upon my wife & kids if they did anything to it, so much that they won't even turn it on in the "family" room if I'm not home (my wife has a bad habit of pausing the Tivo & leaving it, not good for Plasma, plus my 6 year old knows the "pause" button too).

If I'd been spending my own $$$, I would've probably bought DLP or LCD, something with less chance for damage.

Like last night, I'm watching a movie I tivoed off of Starz & the "Starz" logo was in the bottom right for the whole movie. Every 10-15 minutes, I'm worried if that logo is going to burn in the screen. Or, if watching a DVD in letterbox, are the black bars going to cause a problem? Can be irritating.

The HD picture is out of this world (SD, pretty good, depends), but I sometimes wonder if the "fear factor" is worth it. Also, I have recessed lights in a drop ceiling in the basement & any light within the view angle of the Plasma shows as a reflection on the screen. So much that I turn on lights on the other side of the room & leave the viewing area dark.

My .02

The true idiots way for buying a TV, thanks for chiming in. :dunno:

This is pretty bad advice. You can't trust the picture in the TV store for a host of reasons. The settings are all focked up because people play with them. The lighting is different. Wiring is sometimes different. Some TVs have been on for 12,000 hours. Others have been on for 100 hours. Calibrations are all off. TV stores play what makes the TVs look good, so of course the picture looks good.

On your last point, if you're not familiar with it then research it. If dropping $5k on something you regret a year later isn't a big deal (which will sometimes be the case), then who cares? However, RLLD is concerned about price and thus, he should do his due diligence. I knew jack sh1t about TVs when I started researching a year ago and within a couple weeks I knew enough to make an informed decision. It's overwhelming at first because videophiles use a ton of acronyms but most are pretty simple. WTF is SDE? Screen door effect. Gives the appears you're looking through a screen door. Simple enough.

This is where I was going overall. I was sorta overwhlemed with all the data, opinions and rapidly developing technology. I felt as though i should be safe to just walk into a store (since they usually put all the TV's in a row next to each other) and just pick the screen that looks the best... :dunno:

The problem is that the store will probably have different quality signal feeds going to each TV and they are not all calibrated the same. Since you stated you really don't care about picture quality, it's probably fine for you.

This is pretty bad advice. You can't trust the picture in the TV store for a host of reasons. The settings are all focked up because people play with them. The lighting is different. Wiring is sometimes different. Some TVs have been on for 12,000 hours. Others have been on for 100 hours. Calibrations are all off. TV stores play what makes the TVs look good, so of course the picture looks good.

On your last point, if you're not familiar with it then research it. If dropping $5k on something you regret a year later isn't a big deal (which will sometimes be the case), then who cares? However, RLLD is concerned about price and thus, he should do his due diligence. I knew jack sh1t about TVs when I started researching a year ago and within a couple weeks I knew enough to make an informed decision. It's overwhelming at first because videophiles use a ton of acronyms but most are pretty simple. WTF is SDE? Screen door effect. Gives the appears you're looking through a screen door. Simple enough.

TV nerds are more annoying than 40 year old men who collect baseball cards.

TV nerds are more annoying than 40 year old men who collect baseball cards.

This is a thread about LCD vs. Plasma. Since you admitted to knowing absolutely nothing about TV technology, maybe you should shut the fock up. :dunno:

I bought my LCD TV in 2004. It was the first 1080p set produced. It was superior to any rear projection set at the time, including DLP. sxrd was not around. It was between the panny plasma and the LCD. I liked the picture on the panny a little better due to the deeper blacks, but the LCD won out due to its other advantages (larger screen (45"), better anti-reflective screen, ability to view 4x3 material, 1080p vs 768p, etc). sh!t gets better every year, I know it's not even the best LCD around now, no question not the best TV anymore, but it's still a focking great picture.

Did you get that degree in television production from devry? Did you get to keep your tools when you completed your training?

Your opinion on anything carries no weight as long as you continue to lie out your ass about internet people (ju-day, curlynight, etc)

Wow you are a sad angry little man.

I"m just stating facts, I know more about television then, just like you know more about shopping in the children's section for your evening wear.

Wow you are a sad angry little man.

I"m just stating facts, I know more about making up internet stories cause I don't have a real life.

Who's really the sad one?

Who's really the sad one?

As CMT pointed out, lack of evidence doesn't equate to not being true. Just cause you don't know the entire story doesn't make it untrue.

Now please continue on with you mischaracterazations.

SWERSKI!

Pay up your BOSMOS dues, ya deadbeat.

paypal to my email address.

He can't afford it since he dropped $5K on a 32" Zenith, it looked the best in the store. alsohe'spoor.