Sign in to follow this  
Dominick

if a team is 4 -6 and another team is 3 - 5- 2

Mathematically, they are tied with a .400 winning percentage. The tiebreakers are:

1. Head-to-head record

2. Head-to-head point differential

3. Quality of head given by wife/GF

4. Coin flip

4 wins would take it? Seems like it to me.

Mathematically, they are tied with a .400 winning percentage. The tiebreakers are:

1. Head-to-head record

2. Head-to-head point differential

3. Quality of head given by wife/GF

4. Coin flip

I agree they are tied with a .400 winning pct. I think in the NHL (at least the old NHL before the new rules) there was a tie breaker that had the team with more wins getting the advantage if they were tied in points.

I'd go to Thornton's 3rd tie breaker to decide.

yes they are tied ... you must go to your tie-breaker's after that.... unless you're a rook commish and don't have your tie-breakers listed in your rules.... then yur up $hits creeak w/out a paddle :ninja:

absolute tie with a 400 winning %...need to go to your tiebreakers....

I'd go to Thornton's 3rd tie breaker to decide.

The only logical solution. I'll judge.

Tied... In our league you get 10 pts for a win and 5 pts for a tie.

Why not just make it 2-points for a win and 1-point for a tie? :ninja:

How do you guys have teams that have multiple ties in a season? I have played FF for some 11 combined seasons over two leagues and have only had 3 ties alltogether in the league.

Why not just make it 2-points for a win and 1-point for a tie? :pointstosky:

Common sense?

How do you guys have teams that have multiple ties in a season? I have played FF for some 11 combined seasons over two years and have only had 3 ties alltogether in the league.

we had 2 ties last year and switched to decimal scoring this year. closest we came to a tie was this.

ST 75.4000 at DD 75.7000 (pretty damn close)

4-6 is the winning team.

Why? The winning percentage is the same. It's a tie and the tie-breakers should kick in.

Based on that do you prefer head-to-head or total points as the preferred tie breaker? I prefer total points because I believe that is the truer barometer of the best team (which is who I think should win the tie breaker). Head to head can be affected by bye weeks which is just a crap shoot of who you play that particularly bad bye week. Why be penalized by that if your team is outscoring the other team by 30 pts a game and he gets lucky by playing teams during off weeks all year.........

How do you guys have teams that have multiple ties in a season? I have played FF for some 11 combined seasons over two years and have only had 3 ties alltogether in the league.

heh

team 1: 5-3-2: tied for 1st in his division with a 6-4 team, 2nd lowest points against

team 2: 3-6-1: 3rd in his division

team 3: 4-5-1: last in his division

Why not just make it 2-points for a win and 1-point for a tie? :rolleyes:

'Cuz there's no common denominator when a loss is 7 points. Duh.

:rolleyes:

Why? The winning percentage is the same. It's a tie and the tie-breakers should kick in.

Based on that do you prefer head-to-head or total points as the preferred tie breaker? I prefer total points because I believe that is the truer barometer of the best team (which is who I think should win the tie breaker). Head to head can be affected by bye weeks which is just a crap shoot of who you play that particularly bad bye week. Why be penalized by that if your team is outscoring the other team by 30 pts a game and he gets lucky by playing teams during off weeks all year.........

how are the winning percentages the same?

They are tied in the standings.

We have dealt with this issue before in one of my leagues. We use the NFL's tie breaker formula for playoff spots. The NFL considers a tie = half a win + half a loss. So two ties = 1 win + 1 loss.

So the NFL considers 4-6 = 3-5-2.

Throw my vote towards the 4 win team as edging the 3 win team, since the victory would seem the bottom line. My hope is that bkbergen won't have to deal with this seriously for a couple of weeks (when his league gets to the playoffs). Perhaps by then the situation will clear itself up.

how are the winning percentages the same?

tie = half a win and half a loss

2 ties = one win and one loss

3-5-2 = 4-6

Therefore same winning percentage......

Why do we play the game?? To win the damn game as the infamous Herm woudl say. This is easy the guy with 4 wins is in the lead. Get decimal scoring and come into the real world...this would never happen!!!!!

They are tied.

Also, the best tie breaker is total points scored, not head-to-head or anything else.

They are tied.

Also, the best tie breaker is total points scored, not head-to-head or anything else.

exactly. agree on both points.

tie = half a win and half a loss

2 ties = one win and one loss

3-5-2 = 4-6

Therefore same winning percentage......

;) :thumbsdown: :wacko:

Saying that the 4 win team has a better record is the same as saying that a tie is closer to a loss than a win. How is this logical? Means that both teams essentially lost. If you wish to use this logic, why not say that a tie is somehow closer to a win than a loss? Team with the fewer losses has the better record.

The only logical way (and the way the NFL treats it) is that a tie is 1/2 a W and 1/2 L.

Not telling you that you should or shouldn't do it this way, but if you ignore the ties, what you have left is:

4-6 = .400 winning %

3-5 = .375 winning %

Result: 4-6 record wins.

Not telling you that you should or shouldn't do it this way, but if you ignore the ties, what you have left is:

4-6 = .400 winning %

3-5 = .375 winning %

but a tie = 1/2 of a win and he has 2 ties. They have the same record then

4-6 = .400 winning %

3-5 = .375 winning %

better winning percentage?

10-6 vs 9-5-2. ignore the ties, what you have left is

10-6 = 62.5%

9-5 = 64.3%

so now the team with less wins goes? BONK! ties are worth .5 wins and .5 losses. only way to do it that makes sense.

how do you calculate records with ties?

I'm assuming there are still games to be played before the playoffs start. Don't worry about it, it will probably play itself out.