Sign in to follow this  
Son of Squirrel

Steve Smith v. Torry Holt

Smith started the season with the injury but has come on lately. Holt started off with some big games but has tailed off lately. Who will has the better finish of the two?

Carolina doesn't run the ball as much or as well compared to past years. They seem to becoming more of a passing team. Do you trust Delhomme to get it to Smith on a consistent basis?

St.Louis is looking more pass happy these days, reliving the Martz days. But Bulger seems to be finding everybody else but Holt. Even Jackson got a hundred receiving day. Does losing Pace effect the passing game?

Who of these two will end up the best?

I would just like Holt's numbers to be better than Mike Furrey, Reche Caldwell, and Kevin Curtis' again.

His last three games have killed me.

Smith over Holt all day.

He gets half of Jake's passing yards and TDs consistently each week. His team has no running game and is within striking distance in the division. Plus he carries it at least 1-2 times per game. He'll end up on top again. This recent surge is just another day at the office for him. I still think he'll throw down a few 200+ games ala last year during the stretch run.

5'9" Steve Smith ??? Please. Give me Torry Holt. I predicted at the beginning of the season that Smith wouldn't break double digit TDs and so far it looks like I was right. Unless the little midget can break tackles to get into the endzone, he doesn't score. He sure as hell isn't going to out-rebound anyone.

5'9" Steve Smith ??? Please. Give me Torry Holt. I predicted at the beginning of the season that Smith wouldn't break double digit TDs and so far it looks like I was right. Unless the little midget can break tackles to get into the endzone, he doesn't score. He sure as hell isn't going to out-rebound anyone.

Tell me about it. A guy in my league keeps trying to offer him to me for my 6'7" Matt Jones. No way I make that trade...

Seriously, is his height still an issue after last season? It seems like he's using it more as an asset than a hindrance. Most corners are small and they'll tell you that he'll out-battle anyone in the league for the ball.

SS has a really favorable schedule down the stretch and now Bulger has lost his blind side blocker...Don't get me wrong, it's probably hard to go wrong with either one but you have to go with SS here

Let Smith drop off a bit and Holt come back on and everyone will be changing their minds. This is a stupid question cuz everyone is just riding who's hot right now.

what exactly makes you think he will drop off? he's 7th WR in my league averaging just over 12 points a game. Thats with missing the first two weeks. Take those out and he's averaging almost 16 a game! In my league that is top 5 RB territory, with SJax at number 5 with 16.11 per game.

And since being back he has had one game where he scored single digits. I mean, come on, the guy was puking all over the sidelines last week and he still put up 150 yards and a long TD! Also, he has some very suspect secondaries coming up in the next few weeks.

Seriously, is his height still an issue after last season? It seems like he's using it more as an asset than a hindrance. Most corners are small and they'll tell you that he'll out-battle anyone in the league for the ball.

I believe Smith's TD total last season was an aberation. Most of those TDs were a result of broken tackles and most (perhaps all) of his TDs this year are the same thing. I'm not saying he can't score that way, but it sure makes it a lot more difficult. Receptions and yards? Smith is money! TDs? Not so much. We'll see. I got bashed at the beginning of the year for predicting Smith wouldn't break 10 TDs this year because of his size. But I still think I'm right.

In any case, like you said we're kinda splitting hairs here. Smith is a great WR. I just rank him a little lower than most people... like #5 overall.

I believe Smith's TD total last season was an aberation. Most of those TDs were a result of broken tackles and most (perhaps all) of his TDs this year are the same thing. I'm not saying he can't score that way, but it sure makes it a lot more difficult. Receptions and yards? Smith is money! TDs? Not so much. We'll see. I got bashed at the beginning of the year for predicting Smith wouldn't break 10 TDs this year because of his size. But I still think I'm right.

In any case, like you said we're kinda splitting hairs here. Smith is a great WR. I just rank him a little lower than most people... like #5 overall.

Week 11 coming up and peope are bragging that they predicted Smith to stay in the single digits in TDs??? WTF??? Looooooooooooooong as way to go fellas. I will bet anyone here anything they feel comforable betting that Smith gets double digit TDs this season inspite of missing 2 games.

Week 11 coming up and peope are bragging that they predicted Smith to stay in the single digits in TDs??? WTF??? Looooooooooooooong as way to go fellas. I will bet anyone here anything they feel comforable betting that Smith gets double digit TDs this season inspite of missing 2 games.

I've already got my reputation riding on it. :pointstosky:

What kind of beef you got against Steve Smith ? The guy is all explosion... he quick, shifty, catches everything throw at him.... Wish I had him... he's a monster... In my Dynasty league it's points for distance TD's.... everytime this guy touches the ball he can go to the house.... I was shittin everytime he caught a pass..

I've got nothing against Smith. Like I said, I'd rank him about #5 overall. It's just that 5'9" WRs have a difficult time out-rebounding defenders for TDs. Smith's TDs come the hard way - breaking tackles.

I'd rather have Holt.

Most of those TDs were a result of broken tackles and most (perhaps all) of his TDs this year are the same thing.

Gobble, The TD on Monday night was not a result of a broken tackle. :banana:

I am an admitted SSmith owner, so I am a little biased, but I guarantee you in my league I could get whichever WR I wanted for Smith, and after the past three games the Holt owner would DEFINITELY have to give me more than just Holt. Smith is the most valuable WR in the game bar none. You cannot argue with his consitency.

The TD on Monday night was not a result of a broken tackle.

That's true. He was wide open and just walked into the endzone. I'm not arguing that he's a bad WR. Far from it. I just think his size could equate to fewer TDs than most people expected at the start of the season. That's all.

That's true. He was wide open and just walked into the endzone. I'm not arguing that he's a bad WR. Far from it. I just think his size could equate to fewer TDs than most people expected at the start of the season. That's all.

I love it. the guy isn't that good cause he breaks tackles and thats the only way he scores TD's. Wait no, he also gets wide open and waltzes in, so, what? he doesn't deserve it? Last I checked, the things that make receivers great are the ability to get open, catch the ball and break tackles. check. check. check. What does he need to do to get the respect he deserves as the best Fantasy receiver? I would love to hear the people you have ranked above him. lemme guess: harrison, holt, CJ, TO?

In my league he is ranked #7,(keeping in mind that hes played two games less than everyone). The WR's above him are (from 1-6): Javon walker, Colston, DJax, Wayne, Holt and TO. the only person on that list I would come close to ranking alongside Smith is Holt. And thats only cause I've had him in the past and love the guy. As was said earlier, I could get Holt and a #2 RB for Smith.

Haters.

This is pretty much the same response I got at the beginning of the year when I pointed out Smith's short stature. We'll just have to wait and see if he breaks the double digit TD mark by the end of the regular season. I'm still betting he won't.

Steve Smith = Umpa Lumpa

Giving up Holt and Boldin for Smith and Jacobs. Making my startin WRs Colston and Smith. I hope I'm not making a mistake. I too believe Smith will light it up rest of the way.

Smith will very likely have a decline in TDs, but it has nothing to do with him being 5'9". He has a legit #2 WR in Keyshaun Johnson this year. Some of the TDs are going to KJ. Smith is still the best fantasy WR in the NFL right now.

Smith will very likely have a decline in TDs, but it has nothing to do with him being 5'9". He has a legit #2 WR in Keyshaun Johnson this year. Some of the TDs are going to KJ. Smith is still the best fantasy WR in the NFL right now.

Steve Smith is the undisputed king of fantasy wide receivers!

Torry Holt has sucked as for 6 weeks. If he does not turn it around today vs the Cards I am benching him for the rest of the year. for Greg Jennings or Lee Evans.

Steve Smith has been more reliable week in and week out so there is no question who will finish better.

This one is easy -- Steve Smith.

I have owned both over the years and am currently a Holt owner. I liked Holt over Smith at the beginning of the year because of the Smith injury issue and because I see Holt as a very consistent performer, whereas I think that Smith in the past has been more streaky (maybe I am remembering wrong on that one, but that is how I categorize him, like CJ). Even putting aside the past six weeks, Holt generally does not have as many Smith-type dominating days over the season. Instead, he consistently puts up #1 WR-type numbers (10-17), with a very occasional dominating day thrown in. Smith is more like CJ -- any given Sunday, he is capable of putting up numbers in the 20s.

Down the strecth, I'd rather have that explosive potential. This year, Smith has even become more valuable because he is very consistent (someone else pointed out, only two single digit games all season since he started playing), plus the explosive upside. Meanwhile, largely because of injuries to the O-line and partly just the natural rhythm of his game, Holt has been helping his owners lose with consistent mediocrity over the last several weeks.

I am starting Holt this week, but if he puts up another crap performance, he is on the bench down the stretch, regardless of the opponent. I imagine other Holt owners with depth are planning the same. Ask any Smith owners if they would consider benching him against even the best pass D the rest of the way. There's your answer.