Sign in to follow this  
hines86rules

LT Press conference

1. Going the the logo of the opposing team to taunt a player and the fans is classless. There is no logical defense of this action out there.

2. Who did it was irrelevant...they all have the logo on their helmet and represent the organization...whether it was Brady or the 3rd string FG holder.

3. Quite a few people are discussing the act...it was not a small issue.

1. If the Pats went to the logo to taunt Merriman, I would say that act is not something that the Pats would want to have done. I feel comfortable that this small transgression will be addressed appropriately, which I am not sure other organizations can say. Again, is this the biggest issue with the Patriots that you can come up with? They are not perfect, but I would say that they have a better track record than anyone else in the league in this regard.

2. I agree that they should not have done it. However, my point was that you have not even seen what happened. How do you know what happened if you don't even know who it was?

3. The Chargers had sour grapes and should be looking in the mirror rather than what the Pats were doing. It is being talked about by the media because they are looking for a story or something to pick on the Pats about. The Mangini handshake was the exact same thing. People looking for a story when they can't find an angle on anything else.

1. If the Pats went to the logo to taunt Merriman, I would say that act is not something that the Pats would want to have done. I feel comfortable that this small transgression will be addressed appropriately, which I am not sure other organizations can say. Again, is this the biggest issue with the Patriots that you can come up with? They are not perfect, but I would say that they have a better track record than anyone else in the league in this regard.

It is the issue that is being discussed...who has said is it the biggest issue or makes them a classless organization as a whole.

We are talking about this one issue...so yes...it will be discussed...anything else is pretty irrelevant.

And what is this "if they went there to taunt Merriman". What else do you think they were doing on the logo mocking his dance?

2. I agree that they should not have done it. However, my point was that you have not even seen what happened. How do you know what happened if you don't even know who it was?

I have seen it...does that mean I wrote down the player's names and numbers to report it to the league?

3. The Chargers had sour grapes and should be looking in the mirror rather than what the Pats were doing. It is being talked about by the media because they are looking for a story or something to pick on the Pats about. The Mangini handshake was the exact same thing. People looking for a story when they can't find an angle on anything else.

LT has said they got beat by the better team. And sour grapes is the crap being used by Pats fans to try and excuse the behavior of a few of the players.

The Mangini handshake showed a lack of class as well. That is another incident that there is no logical defense for. No need to look for a story in that...BB gave them one by being a ######.

It is the issue that is being discussed...who has said is it the biggest issue or makes them a classless organization as a whole.

We are talking about this one issue...so yes...it will be discussed...anything else is pretty irrelevant.

And what is this "if they went there to taunt Merriman". What else do you think they were doing on the logo mocking his dance?

I have seen it...does that mean I wrote down the player's names and numbers to report it to the league?

LT has said they got beat by the better team. And sour grapes is the crap being used by Pats fans to try and excuse the behavior of a few of the players.

The Mangini handshake showed a lack of class as well. That is another incident that there is no logical defense for. No need to look for a story in that...BB gave them one by being a ######.

I could not disagree with you more. This is not a big deal.

Under your logic, a jaywalking ticket is the same as murder. From a severity standpoint, I think that this is SMALL POTATOES.

One measure of class is not whether you have issues that arise, but how you deal with them when they do. The Pats will address it. They always do.

As far as LT, he focused his anger on a single person who had NOTHING to do with what happened. He started out with this :dunno: and he should have realized that if you want to give it out like Merriman, then you should be able to take it. I am willing to bet that, upon further reflection, he changes his tune.

The correct synopsis is as follows:

1. The Pats were jerks for excessive taunting including the choke signs and dancing and whatnot

2. Merriman is a jerk for his dancing and whatnot and was invisible last sunday

3. Belichek is a jerk for his Mangini thing and should have control of his team. He digs the in your face taunting after a win

4. LT is a baby for crying about it but it was after a tough loss. He should be more pissed at Parker, McKee and the goof that took the personal foul penalty for taunting.

I win this thread

1. The Pats were jerks for excessive taunting including the choke signs and dancing and whatnot

3. Belichek is a jerk for his Mangini thing and should have control of his team. He digs the in your face taunting after a win

4. LT is a baby for crying about it but it was after a tough loss. He should be more pissed at Parker, McKee and the goof that took the personal foul penalty for taunting.

I win this thread

Agreed...

4...yeah...I can see that...at least he has a little justification in being the baby in this instance IMO.

I win this thread

I agree with the synopsis :dunno:

I could not disagree with you more. This is not a big deal.

Under your logic, a jaywalking ticket is the same as murder. From a severity standpoint, I think that this is SMALL POTATOES.

One measure of class is not whether you have issues that arise, but how you deal with them when they do. The Pats will address it. They always do.

As far as LT, he focused his anger on a single person who had NOTHING to do with what happened. He started out with this :dunno: and he should have realized that if you want to give it out like Merriman, then you should be able to take it. I am willing to bet that, upon further reflection, he changes his tune.

What???

Where do I compare this to any other incident? Jaywalking to murder?

I am simply discussing this one incident.

If the Pats address it like you and other fans are addressing it by excusing and saying it is no big thing...than I would be even more disappointed in the organization.

And yes...when it is all said and done Belichick has something to do with what happened as he is the head coach...and all he said was "maybe it comes from the head coach".

The game ended near mid-field so it wasn't like

the Pats went out of their way to party on the logo.

And for LT to beeotch about mimicking the Merriman dance

is nothing short of hypocritical.

It's alright when Merriman dances in the face of opponents,

but LT just can't seem to take it, he's got no problem

with Merriman dishing out, though.

I used to have the utmost respect for LT,

he just slid down a couple of rungs on the respect ladder.

What???

Where do I compare this to any other incident? Jaywalking to murder?

I am simply discussing this one incident.

If the Pats address it like you and other fans are addressing it by excusing and saying it is no big thing...than I would be even more disappointed in the organization.

And yes...when it is all said and done Belichick has something to do with what happened as he is the head coach...and all he said was "maybe it comes from the head coach".

It is all relative. Welcome to the NFL today. These are 20-something year old millionaires who have been coddled their whole lives and are paid to knock the snot out of the guy in front of them. This is SMALL POTATOES.

Name a team and I will give you things that are far more serious than what we are talking about here. Hell, let me start you off with a subset of things from the Tennessee Titans:

- Albert Haynesworth - Perhaps he should dance on the logo rather than on the face of his opponent

- Pacman Jones - Assault, public intoxication, disorderly conduct (2 separate indicents)

- Rob Reynolds - domestic violence, assault

- Cortland Finnegan - DUI

I'd have to say I agree about 90% with you.

I'm beginning to think less and less of the Pats with this disrespect thing. Dancing on the logo isn't cool, it's meant to belittle and disrespect. It's total bullsh!t. It does seem to be a reflection of their coach BB who has acted like a complete baby about this whole Mangini thing. BB is a good coach, but he's an idiot.

Merriman's not even worth talking about. His dance is dumb and he needs to clean up his act.

LT had some sour grapes involved but I'll be more willing to listen to him than I will listen to the Patriots based on track records. LT's a man, and he represents athletes well to the kids. The Pats......not so much.

I never thought I'd say this but I'm hoping for a Colts win this week. I'm by no means a Peyton fan (can't stand the guy) but I'm really getting sick of the Patriots schtick. Act like men and not a bunch of disrespecting thugs.

That's all I've got to say about that. My very humble opinion. :banana:

It is all relative. Welcome to the NFL today. These are 20-something year old millionaires who have been coddled their whole lives and are paid to knock the snot out of the guy in front of them. This is SMALL POTATOES.

Name a team and I will give you things that are far more serious than what we are talking about here. Hell, let me start you off with a subset of things from the Tennessee Titans:

- Albert Haynesworth - Perhaps he should dance on the logo rather than on the face of his opponent

- Pacman Jones - Assault, public intoxication, disorderly conduct (2 separate indicents)

- Rob Reynolds - domestic violence, assault

- Cortland Finnegan - DUI

This is a ridiculous rationalization on your part.

As I have not compared this to any other incident or team.

This is just more of an idiotic justification because they are your team.

How hard is it for you Pats fans to just agree it was a classless move by the individuals...and move on?

As for PacMan...pretty much all charges have been dropped.

And you can go further with McNair's DUI, Brad Hopkins domestic violence charges...and so on (though those were last year's players and incidents further in the past).

But you would only have a point if I said that the dancing on the logo was as bad as what Haynesworth did...or that the Titans were a classier organization than the Patriots...and so on...since I did no such thing...you are reaching in an attempt to rationalize the idiocy of what the Patriots did.

I win this thread

Pretty well sums it up. :banana:

LT had some sour grapes involved but I'll be more willing to listen to him than I will listen to the Patriots based on track records. LT's a man, and he represents athletes well to the kids. The Pats......not so much.

So the actions of Merriman have no reflection on LT, but the whole Patriots organization is impugned because of the actions of one or two guys? No double standard there. There are plenty of classy guys on the Patriots, and a few dumbasses, just like every NFL team.

So the actions of Merriman have no reflection on LT, but the whole Patriots organization is impugned because of the actions of one or two guys? No double standard there. There are plenty of classy guys on the Patriots, and a few dumbasses, just like every NFL team.

The Patriots team starts with the coach........he's shown what kind of a man he is.

The actions of Merriman are stupid.....just like most of the idiotic dances based on stupid things. You'd think guys had one the super bowl sometimes as much as they celebrate a stupid 1st down.

In my eyes this act was not a celebration dance, it was a disrespect dance. There is a difference. One may be stupid after a sack, a 1st down, a td, but the other is meant to belittle and mock.

Patriots have done that to the Eagles before. Their beginning an ugly track record and maybe LT's right. Maybe they are following their coaches lead. :thumbsup:

I totally agree with Walter34's synopsis. It was once mentioned to me that "the real mark of a man is not how he behaves when things are going well, but during times of duress". LT had the chance to take the high road but instead took a shot at Belichick. He could have let the Patriots buffoonery speak for itself and be the better man. Conversely, Belichick could have shook Mangini's hand. In LT's defence I will say that it's refreshing to see a guy like LT just flip the ball back to the refs when he scores, instead of being like others who look like they're having seizures in the end-zone.

Conversely, Belichick could have shook Mangini's hand.

He did shake his hand.

I win this thread

Fine. Just don't do your stupid banana dance on my logo :thumbsup:

He did shake his hand.

No, Belichick hugged Mangini. That's not the same as shaking his hand, which Belichick did the previous two meetings. Classless!!! :mad:

It has been overblown by the media and people like you with an axe to grind.

Bingo. :thumbsup:

2. Who did it was irrelevant...they all have the logo on their helmet and represent the organization...whether it was Brady or the 3rd string FG holder.

So.......Since Merriman did Steroids & got caught & has a Charger logo on his helmet & ALL the Chargers have the same logo.........They are ALL classless, cheating dirt bags??????

Cool.......just wanted to make sure I had it right :thumbsup:

This is a ridiculous rationalization on your part.

As I have not compared this to any other incident or team.

This is just more of an idiotic justification because they are your team.

How hard is it for you Pats fans to just agree it was a classless move by the individuals...and move on?

As for PacMan...pretty much all charges have been dropped.

And you can go further with McNair's DUI, Brad Hopkins domestic violence charges...and so on (though those were last year's players and incidents further in the past).

But you would only have a point if I said that the dancing on the logo was as bad as what Haynesworth did...or that the Titans were a classier organization than the Patriots...and so on...since I did no such thing...you are reaching in an attempt to rationalize the idiocy of what the Patriots did.

There is no rationalization. If what LT alleges is true, then I have already stated that the Patriot players were wrong.

You stated that the Patriots are classless, which is not the case. This was one incident and the point is that this is minor. It has been overblown by the media and people like you with an axe to grind.

I brought up the Titans (those are just the incidents this year BTW) to illustrate that things are relative and that you measure these things, not against perfection, but against their peers. As such, the Patriots are in much better shape in this regard than their peers.

ETA: I forgot to say that I think that you are BS'ing when you say you saw the dance. If you did, you would know who was doing the dance. Nice try, but I think you might be fibbing just a bit on that.

By within the context of the game, I meant within the game...the game is going on...the clock is still going...and so on. Its more of a celebration than a taunt in most cases.

This is garbage. Look, I have no respect for what the Patriots did after the game. In fact, I am used to the Patriots acting like jackasses after the game and even during at times. But I have equally little respect for Merriman's conduct during his games. The Chargers must have done that stupid lights out dance a dozen times in the season opener against the Raiders, most of which while the game wasn't really in doubt any more. It's a TAUNT.

QUOTE (edjr @ Sep 27 2006, 08:23 AM) 2731216[/snapback]

Manning has had Harrison his entire career and Wayne most of his career and hasn't even been to an AFC Championship game.

ShoNuff - I believe you need to change your signature

;) You don't get it. He's quoting edjr (a Pats fan) who said that after the Colts had already been to an AFC Championship game.

:banana: You don't get it. He's quoting edjr (a Pats fan) who said that after the Colts had already been to an AFC Championship game.

Yup, Colts already went there in the 2004 playoffs. This year they get to hang up their third AFC Finalist banner at the RCA Dome. ;)

He did shake his hand.

Sorry, my bad. I didn't see the situation, but I've heard people on here mention that when the Jets beat the Pats earlier this season, Belichick wouldn't shake his hand. What did happen?

Sorry, my bad. I didn't see the situation, but I've heard people on here mention that when the Jets beat the Pats earlier this season, Belichick wouldn't shake his hand. What did happen?

After both regular season games, Belichick gave a less than enthusiastic handshake, basically walking away after touching hands for a millisecond. He was villified in the press.

Then when he hugged Mangini after the third game (to appease the media gods), he was villified again. Again, you have a situation where writers have to sell papers and TV guys want to sell airtime. If there is not a story to tell, they make one up or play up something that was not so big.

So.......Since Merriman did Steroids & got caught & has a Charger logo on his helmet & ALL the Chargers have the same logo.........They are ALL classless, cheating dirt bags??????

Cool.......just wanted to make sure I had it right :rolleyes:

Point........................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Your head.

Nowhere did I call them all dirtbags or all lack class...I have said it was those who did it that were...but it is not a good sign on the organization at all.

But anything you all can come with to try and deflect any criticism.... :cry:

There is no rationalization. If what LT alleges is true, then I have already stated that the Patriot players were wrong.

You stated that the Patriots are classless, which is not the case. This was one incident and the point is that this is minor. It has been overblown by the media and people like you with an axe to grind.

I brought up the Titans (those are just the incidents this year BTW) to illustrate that things are relative and that you measure these things, not against perfection, but against their peers. As such, the Patriots are in much better shape in this regard than their peers.

ETA: I forgot to say that I think that you are BS'ing when you say you saw the dance. If you did, you would know who was doing the dance. Nice try, but I think you might be fibbing just a bit on that.

This if what he says is true is idiotic....it is true...who has not seen it at this point? Or written about it for that matter. Were we all imagining it?

I guess LT imagined it...because he has lied so many times before right?

I stated the act was classless...which is the case. I stated specific instances where the coach has shown a lack of class.

Axe to grind? Not really...its being played out because you would not expect that from a team described as so classy...a team that has won 3 Super Bowls and prides itself on class.

Its relative if someone is comparing it to another situation...but when taking an incident for what it was...what the Titans players did off the field has absolutely nothing to do with it.

You can think I was BSing all you want.

I also watched several players try to pull LT away and have no clue who that was at the time...nor do I know whose hand he shook/slapped 5 to on the way off the field. That after watching the clip again of his reaction.

So you can call BS all you want...you would be completely wrong.

This is garbage. Look, I have no respect for what the Patriots did after the game. In fact, I am used to the Patriots acting like jackasses after the game and even during at times. But I have equally little respect for Merriman's conduct during his games. The Chargers must have done that stupid lights out dance a dozen times in the season opener against the Raiders, most of which while the game wasn't really in doubt any more. It's a TAUNT.

Its a celebration he has done since high school. It gets the fans excited (for some damn reason).

No different than Gilbert Brown's old grave digger.

Seau's dance...and so on.

Don't forget, theb Patriots looked pretty average for most of the season. Even the most supportive fans went into this postseason with some doubts. Obviously, you're not going to hear a ot of smack talk when you're not too sure how your team's going to do.

(also, I hope they beat Manning again. This is getting hilarious) :cry:

True. And I'm sure IF the Pats get to and win the SB this season, this bored will be unbearable with all the "See, you wrote us off too early" type posts from the sh!theads that just want to rub it in.

BUT if they lose to Indy or in the SB, I'm willing to bet there will be more "Brady sucks" or "The Dynasty is dead" post than the other way around.

Unfortunately there's sh!theads on both sides of this that just want to have internet slap fights... I'm just getting tired of it after 5 or 6 years now.

Not really...they had been to one before...it was just one of the idiotic things that edjr has once said...

After both regular season games, Belichick gave a less than enthusiastic handshake, basically walking away after touching hands for a millisecond. He was villified in the press.

Then when he hugged Mangini after the third game (to appease the media gods), he was villified again. Again, you have a situation where writers have to sell papers and TV guys want to sell airtime. If there is not a story to tell, they make one up or play up something that was not so big.

He was villified after shoving a cameraman to get to Mangini after beating him...then hugging him.

But yes...that tapping hands is not quite a handshake now is it?

True. And I'm sure IF the Pats get to and win the SB this season, this bored will be unbearable with all the "See, you wrote us off too early" type posts from the sh!theads that just want to rub it in.

BUT if they lose to Indy or in the SB, I'm willing to bet there will be more "Brady sucks" or "The Dynasty is dead" post than the other way around.

Unfortunately there's sh!theads on both sides of this that just want to have internet slap fights... I'm just getting tired of it after 5 or 6 years now.

I agree. I am not going to be able to even have a rational discussion with half of this crew. There is a lot that is not even known and the Pats are being villified. Fine. I could give a rat's ass what these hypocrites think about this team.

I am done with this debate.

You Patriot fans are cracking me up. None want to own up to their players' a-holian behavior. But if the shoe was on the other foot, Patriot fans would be :first: like like there's no tomorrow, no doubt. I know many of you lambasted Owens for putting the ball down on Dallas' logo.

Pats fans are just totally ignoring the behavior because it's convenient to them...

"If you don't want the opposing team to take a crap on your logo, win the game."

Let's just gloss over the classless act.

I guess we can add hypocritical to bandwagoning in our definition of Patroit fan. :cry:

For the record, LT needs to be a little bit more thick-skinned.

Dude, you need to read a few more threads. There have been plenty of Pats fans saying that mocking Merriman and doing the "choke" sign was classless. But celebrating in the middle of the field, I don't think was as intentional as people are making it out to be. Don't forget that's where Kaeding attempted the kick, so that's where the Pats players were on the field. Those that ran off the sideline just ran to their teammates, which happened to be on the Charger logo. And your reaching with the Owens example. He specifically ran from the endzone to the center of the field to stand on the star. That was planned.

I agree. I am not going to be able to even have a rational discussion with half of this crew. There is a lot that is not even known and the Pats are being villified. Fine. I could give a rat's ass what these hypocrites think about this team.

I am done with this debate.

Its obvious right now you are unable to have a rational discussion.

Just making assumptions of what you think I have seen...and refusing to admit what really happened without prefacing it with an "if". There is no if about it...it happened...that much is a fact.

The Pats who did that are being villified for good reason...as is their coach.

actually i think it's entirely opposite. it's the patriot fans that are being homers. you guys just like your team and BB manufacture disrespect when there is none. it's really amazing to still be delusional and have that fire burning after all the superbowls. #1 reason for their success :thumbsup:

But,

patriots = TO

LT = George Teague

Mike ditka on mike and mike said it best, the way the patriots celebrated was classless. he's consistent on TO and the patriots.

patriot fans don't defend TO, why are they defending their team with the same arguments? because they're homers, nothing wrong with that. just admit it.

For the 20th time I DO think those Pats that did the "choke" sign were classless.

But let's put Ditka's comments into context. Wasn't it him (yes, a long time ago) that had The Fridge run the ball into the endzone in a blowout SB, instead of just having Sweetness run the ball.

Hello, pot calling kettle.

Its obvious right now you are unable to have a rational discussion.

Just making assumptions of what you think I have seen...and refusing to admit what really happened without prefacing it with an "if". There is no if about it...it happened...that much is a fact.

The Pats who did that are being villified for good reason...as is their coach.

You are :thumbsup: just like LT. The Chargers were talking trash during the week leading up to the game and during the game. If they can't handle someone celebrating on their field, then I have a suggestion... DON'T LOSE THE GAME.

The Chargers were outplayed and outclassed. The Chargers made mistakes and lost their heads, which cost them that game.

I know that you are hung up on the "if" part of the equation. That is related to whether the Pats had a planned celebration on the logo to mock Merriman. I know that you are willing to make that leap of faith, but I am not. You are justifying everyone else who has a celebration, but the Pats are taunting when they do the EXACT SAME THING. That is the definition of a hypocrite.

If the Chargers were doing all of the things that we are hearing they did during the game (including LT), then LT and his teammates deserved to have the Pats drop trow on the field and piss on their logo.

:alsonotreally:

You are ;) just like LT. The Chargers were talking trash during the week leading up to the game and during the game. If they can't handle someone celebrating on their field, then I have a suggestion... DON'T LOSE THE GAME.

The Chargers were outplayed and outclassed. The Chargers made mistakes and lost their heads, which cost them that game.

I know that you are hung up on the "if" part of the equation. That is related to whether the Pats had a planned celebration on the logo to mock Merriman. I know that you are willing to make that leap of faith, but I am not. You are justifying everyone else who has a celebration, but the Pats are taunting when they do the EXACT SAME THING. That is the definition of a hypocrite.

If the Chargers were doing all of the things that we are hearing they did during the game (including LT), then LT and his teammates deserved to have the Pats drop trow on the field and piss on their logo.

:alsonotreally:

You should have stayed "done with this debate". This post was very weak and poorly thought out. :thumbsup:

You should have stayed "done with this debate". This post was very weak and poorly thought out. :thumbsup:

Gee, thanks for your insight (or lack thereof). Care to disagree with any of it or are you just being obtuse (I finally got to use that word ;) )

Actually, nevermind even commenting. Your opinion means nothing to me in this matter. If I want to know what c0ck tastes like, I will ask your opinion. TIA

Well stated, Mr. Scott. The Pats going away is exactly what the non=Pats fans want. Im with you.... I hated the 49ers winning all the time and the Bills, Redskins, Cowboys, etc, etc. Even the broncos back to back SB wins irked me a bit with the Elway slobbering!

One of the differences to me is how the Pats rarely actually beat anyone like those old teams did. The Pats seem to have a lot of things handed to them by shellshocked opponents or the football gods are simply watching over them. Maybe Jesus bets $50 a week on the Pats and the over? ;)

This combination of winning in rather dicey fashions combined with their easy to hate Head Coach makes them even more annoying than Jimmy Johnson which I didnt think was possible. ;)

Yep, I understand. If the team you hate is dominating that's one thing, but if it seems like they get the ball bouncing their way all the time and seem to juuuuust get the win it's even more insufferable.

Never thought I'd agree with something you posted but we seem to understand each others' side of things. :thumbsup:

By within the context of the game, I meant within the game...the game is going on...the clock is still going...and so on. Its more of a celebration than a taunt in most cases.

So how come both Merriman and Lewis do it before the game starts? No clock running, no plays to celebrate.

It's amazing Peter King can even write with Favre's *^%&@ in his hand.

:thumbsup: