Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

What was the name of the 80's arcade game

Berzerker?

Damn, beaten to the punch...

Maniac Mansion :unsure:

No, that's not it. The link I posted has some pretty cool games - all the old crassics. I must've dropped 9,000 in quarters up at the 7-11 playing "Star Castle". Good gawd, that game will give you a freaking nervous breakdown.

anybody know where I can find a good (free) online version of Defender or Stargate??

It is Berzerk:

Probably the best-remembered feature of Berzerk is that the robots talk. Berzerk was one of the first video games to use speech synthesis. In attract mode, the game will taunt potential players with the phrase "Coins detected in pocket". Evil Otto's entrance into play is announced with "Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berzerk

Berzerk, or somethink like that? :unsure:

Winna Winna Chicken Dinna! Thanks! I remember many an afternoon at 'Woolworth' and my friend Randy David in his cracking teen voice shouting "shoot and run! shoot and run!"

Ah, the memories. Now kids sit at home alone playing video games. Nothing like the old days...

Gawd, I'm an old fart.

Speaking of which, any of you focks ever use MAME? It's an emulator that lets you play all those old games on your PC, using the actual ROM's from the old arcade machines. It rocks if you love the old games.

Best 80's arcade game...

Knock him out! bleepbleepbleep!

Uppercut! Uppercut! Body Blow! Body Blow...

Hes dooown for the count!

Speaking of which, any of you focks ever use MAME? It's an emulator that lets you play all those old games on your PC, using the actual ROM's from the old arcade machines. It rocks if you love the old games.

I gots da Nintendo emulator as well as Sega Genesis

My friends and I used to burn $5 each in about a half hour playing Gauntlet in the arcades back in the day. I got stuck being Valkyrie. :unsure: No finesse. We just barrelled through the monsters on the way to the exits. By level 8, we'd be burning a quarter every 30 seconds.

I don't think it was Contra, but that game was AWESOME! :clap:

up up down down left right left right b a b a b start

:unsure:

I'll never forget when I was a kid playing vids at the local 7-11 with a neighbor.

Two drunk guys come in and get a $100 in tokens and give them to us. We were kinda freaked out so these guys hit the restroom and we bolt and don't come back for weeks.

We played vids for weeks like kings. :dunno:

I'll never forget when I was a kid playing vids at the local 7-11 with a neighbor.

Two drunk guys come in and get a $100 in tokens and give them to us. We were kinda freaked out so these guys hit the restroom and we bolt and don't come back for weeks.

We played vids for weeks like kings. :dunno:

there was an arcade in our town that used tokens, we'd go behind the machine and open the back up and inside some of games there would be a spare set of keys hanging in there for the token box, we had more tokens than we knew what to do with :cheers:

Robotron was the BEST

Although Berserk brings back some cool memories...

An obsure fave of mine was Crazy Climber....with the guy climbing buildings. People would drop stuff on his head, and he would have to hook to chopper at the top of the building.

Jnes is a good one

there was an arcade in our town that used tokens, we'd go behind the machine and open the back up and inside some of games there would be a spare set of keys hanging in there for the token box, we had more tokens than we knew what to do with :pointstosky:

We would tape string to a quarter. Pacman was one of the easiest to turn credits this way. Defender was also fairly simple to do--most pinball machines were easy as well. We would get so good, we could pop of 99 credits(the max) in minutes.

But once in a while, the quarter would be lost in the bin. Eventually, they noticed the tape on the quarter and worked a fix so it couldn't be done anymore. But those were the days.

Robotron was the BEST

A HS buddy of mine (one of the "big" HS dealers, but still a good friend) actually bought the Robotron game when the video arcade in the Mall closed. I think he got it for 200 bucks. Nothing like tripping face at a house party playing Robotron. :banana: :dunno: :banana:

:( :cheers:

I think it's up up down down left right left right b a b a select start.

:(

It is, I let it slide so im not the asshoole :dunno:

I was born a Dig Dug man, and I'll die a Dig Dug man.

There has never been, and will never be, a better game. :(

Donkey Kong took a few of my dollars - Dig Dug ha ha that was good too.

Wasn't there a burgertime! Joust,

I spent some bucks on Galaga, Centipede, and one I can't put a name on yet. You drove this car, you had to collect green circles to keep the gas tank filled, and every so often some ship would come down an upgrade your cannon that was mounted on the roof of the car for shooting other "Bad cars".

I was born a Dig Dug man, and I'll die a Dig Dug man.

There has never been, and will never be, a better game. :(

A friend of mine gave me this thing. It's like a small box with a joystick. - You put batteries in it, hook it up to the TV - and DIG DUG comes up! Man, I lurve that. I used to rock the Dig Dug! :dunno:

Does anyone remember seeing this game...

It involved either a Black Hearst or Caddie and it shot an oil slick out of the back of it.

It also played music that sounded like Curageous Cat and Minute Mouse. I hope thats a better clue.

I just can't remember the name of it. I used to love that game.

Does anyone remember seeing this game...

It involved either a Black Hearst or Caddie and it shot an oil slick out of the back of it.

It also played music that sounded like Curageous Cat and Minute Mouse. I hope thats a better clue.

I just can't remember the name of it. I used to love that game.

Spy Hunter :blink:

remember the original star wars? Where you were in the xwing and you had to blow up the death star?

Pure 80s arcade, complete with cubes that you had to shoot.

I used to spend hours on that game

Or the "Dragon Hunter" or something like that, where it was basically a cartoon?

Spy Hunter :huh:

No.

That's on the same order though.

While playing the game a song played that sounded simular to the Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse theme.

The Hearst/Caddie also shot a smoke screen out of the back of the car along with oil slicks and 1 or two other things.

I wish I could remember the name.

I thought it was, "Oil Can Harry". But I'm not sure.

I don't remember the name of the game but my cousin and I would play it at minature golf course all the time. It was a tank battle game. If you didn't completely kill the enemy tank it could shoot you without being able to manuver. I think helicopter attacks came from above too. Good times trying to achieve the high score.

The car game w/ the green fuel cells was Road Blasters

The tank game was Battlezone

The cartoon game was Dragon's Lair (which you can buy for your DVD player - I have it, it's pretty cool). There was also Space Ace and a few others.

I loved arcades as a kid (and now actually but they are usually pretty lame).

Original Donkey Kong was one of my favorites. I was never that good at it - only got to the factory level once or twice.

Defender was too hard for me. Too many buttons.

There was one called 'I, Robot' that was REALLY cool. Can't find it anywhere.

Bank Panic cost me a lot of money. Really fun game - surprised it didn't become more popular.

Crystal Castles was kinda lame, but I remember the warp behind the mountain in the first level.

Karate Champ was another favorite. "Full Point!!"

Scramble was fun, so was Moon Patrol (that damn music would stick in my head for days)

Burgertime was a classic

Too many fun ones to list: Zookeeper, Gyruss, Gorf, Tron, Zaxxon, Xenophope... I could go all day.