Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Federer > Woods

Federer doesn't choke at match play either - the topic - federer>Woods easily in matchplay

this doesn't hold any weight though... in the sport of golf match play is pointless... true tournament golf is a 4 day event with adjustments and mental toughness...

once again... easier to win a tennis tourney than a golf tourney... because of your "match play" argument

Federer doesn't choke at match play either - the topic - federer>Woods easily in matchplay

IMO that is an apples to oranges comparison. The difference between the top golfer (Tiger) and # 50 is what, maybe 2 strokes per round? If Tiger has an off day, and the other guy does well, the other guy wins. I don't think you can make that same comparison in tennis. If Federer is off, he misses a few shots he would otherwise hit. Which are a few points in a game in a set in a match. Again, apples and oranges.

Again, IMO. :dunno:

this doesn't hold any weight though... in the sport of golf match play is pointless... true tournament golf is a 4 day event with adjustments and mental toughness...

once again... easier to win a tennis tourney than a golf tourney... because of your "match play" argument

Grand slams run 2 weeks in tennis and you have to win 7 rounds with 128 players

longer I don't think so for golf, not sure about amount of players in golf in the masters, don't even talk about mental. You can't win a tennis tournament with 1 bad day like you can in a golf tournament. Tennis eliminated, golf you can bounce back.

Don't forget every grand slam in tennis has qualifying just like golf. Thousands and Thousands try to make the us open, wimbledon, french and austrailian.

IMO that is an apples to oranges comparison. The difference between the top golfer (Tiger) and # 50 is what, maybe 2 strokes per round? If Tiger has an off day, and the other guy does well, the other guy wins. I don't think you can make that same comparison in tennis. If Federer is off, he misses a few shots he would otherwise hit. Which are a few points in a game in a set in a match. Again, apples and oranges.

Again, IMO. :dunno:

Wrong, Federer losses. Roddick breaks Feder's serve once a set. Holds his own since it is the hardest of all time (154mph) - federer is gone.

Wow. Interesting points on both sides of this argument. It's good to see, after 10 months of discussing this, that we're making such exceptional progress. I see the "winner" of this argument being determined any time now. :dunno:

As I said before, I have never seen anyone dominate golf like Tiger has. If Federer keeps playing at this level the same will be said about him.

Tiger has made me watch golf and I never cared before him...

the fact that Roger has people talking mens tennis is a step in the right direction...

tennis always had its fans and LOTS of them..but they are the diehards...

now, go to the us open and its everyone..the ultimate party....

as far as the level of play roger is at...

in 2006, he averaged 1.2 double faults per match....thats insane...

and yeah..he can miss a few shots..but if he does them at bad times and has his serve broken, it CAN come back to bite him...

im not saying that tiger isnt dominant..he has a dominating presence even when hes 4 strokes back with 18-24 holes to go...you just worry about him...

with roger..he's so smooth, its almost a yawner..no yelling..no fist pumps..he just picks you apart like a doctor..

Wow. Interesting points on both sides of this argument. It's good to see, after 10 months of discussing this, that we're making such exceptional progress. I see the "winner" of this argument being determined any time now. :clap:

I see this going to a 5th set tiebreaker... :dunno:

longer I don't think so for golf, not sure about amount of players in golf in the masters, don't even talk about mental. You can't win a tennis tournament with 1 bad day like you can in a golf tournament. Tennis eliminated, golf you can bounce back.

and also..like the US Open...sometimes they play until past 11pm not knowing who they have facing them in the next round...

federer is only going to play 7 of those 128 however... 121 of them he doesn't even have to worry about...

i honestly don't see how we can do this argument any justice, however, because they are two totally different sports with different formats.

if you were in a free-throw competition for 1 million dollars would you rather have 7 head to head shootouts (facing competitors of increasing difficulty) to decide the winner? or would you rather have the winner decided by whoever makes the most freethrows out of like 200 people???

it is statistically harder to win consistently using the second system

There is no arguing what Tiger has done for Golf - - I will watch every Sunday when he is in the hunt wearing his black pants and red shirt. He makes golf breath

Unfortunately for tennis, Federer is not as exciting as Agassi was or tennis would be #3 in the world in popularity like it was in the 80's.

However, what Federer has accomplished in this day in age in tennis is something that doesn't come around very often. Same can be said for Tiger.

I don't play golf (I retired 4 years ago when I broke 100 with my 99 at the greenville golf and country club) but I love watching when the big names are involved.

My Final Comment (maybe on this topic) - - We are witnessing two greats in their respective sport. These guys will go down in history and will be talked about for decades. Possibly as great as Jordan. Do not take this away from either of these guys. Just be happy that you can witness what they are doing in their prime :dunno:

My Final Comment (maybe on this topic) - - We are witnessing two greats in their respective sport. These guys will go down in history and will be talked about for decades. Possibly as great as Jordan. Do not take this away from either of these guys. Just be happy that you can witness what they are doing in their prime :dunno:

exactly... one probelm with this argument is that it feels like both athletes are being belittled in order for people to get their point across...

both are the best at what they do period... and we should just enjoy while we can

There is no arguing what Tiger has done for Golf - - I will watch every Sunday when he is in the hunt wearing his black pants and red shirt. He makes golf breath

Unfortunately for tennis, Federer is not as exciting as Agassi was or tennis would be #3 in the world in popularity like it was in the 80's.

However, what Federer has accomplished in this day in age in tennis is something that doesn't come around very often. Same can be said for Tiger.

I don't play golf (I retired 4 years ago when I broke 100 with my 99 at the greenville golf and country club) but I love watching when the big names are involved.

Well said. Part of me hopes that Nadal beats Federer in the French, so that this discussion can go on. If Federer wins, and then goes on to win the slam, it will lose interest IMO.

Well said. Part of me hopes that Nadal beats Federer in the French, so that this discussion can go on. If Federer wins, and then goes on to win the slam, it will lose interest IMO.

Yes, because Federer will have won the argument hands down :dunno:

Yes, because Federer will have won the argument hands down :clap:

Not really, although I understand your position. :dunno:

Not really, although I understand your position. :thumbsup:

If Roger wins the French he will be considered the greatest tennis player of all time. That being said, you can't really easily compare eras in tennis because the rackets have evolved so much over the years. The same is true about golf.

I plan to sit back and enjoy watching Tiger and Roger continue their amazing careers before making any final judgments as to who is/was more dominant in their sport. Even though I feel like I have been defending Woods I am actually a tennis player and love Federer.

Football has nothing to do with this.

Golf hours and hours of hitting balls - - 500 - 1000 balls is a good golf day - way to practice

That's one hour on the tennis court - - don't compare which one makes you more tired.

Being more in shape has nothing to do with it either...that was my point about football players. That not all of them are tiny guys eating well and running a ton does not make it any less of a sport than something else.

Which is ultimately the point that was trying to be made...that being in better shape makes Tennis more of a sport than Golf. That point is ridiculous in the first place...and irrelevant to any argument...why? Because nobody is arguing that you have to be in better shape to play Golf. So why bring up what everyone already knows....we all know most Tennis players are in better shape than most golfers. So what?

I knew a girl in college who was on the crew team. I played baseball and golf. She dissed me at some point about my sports not being "sports." I pointed out to her that sports are not just tests of endurance, different sports require different levels of skill. To me crew is the extreme example: you can be in fantastic physical shape, allowing you to row that oar to the coxswain's cadence. Does that make you a better athlete? IMO, no, that makes you more physically fit.

In other words, if your point is that Federer is more aerobically fit, congrats you win. But IMO that doesn't make him the better athlete.

Exactly...pretty much my point on anyone trying to compare the two based on being in shape.

Soccer players are in shape...does that make soccer more of a sport?

Because of one bad putt now Tiger chokes at match play?

Did anyone see him play 18...when he needed the hole to even force sudden death? He stuck a very clutch shot within 5-6 feet of the hole.

Yes, I was shocked to see him miss that putt on the first playoff hole...and even more shocked to see him yank his shot on the 2nd.

But now you are just comparing match play?

That was not the intent of comparison either...compare them for their entire sport...not just one type (which in golf, match play is very little of what they play on a week to week basis anyway).

Federer just won the Dubai title.

Federer just won the Dubai title.

of course he did, the dude is money. He's going to win the grand slam this year.. the french is going to be HUGE, Nadal hasn't played as well as last year, can someone else or he step up and stop Feds?

of course he did, the dude is money. He's going to win the grand slam this year.. the french is going to be HUGE, Nadal hasn't played as well as last year, can someone else or he step up and stop Feds?

Federer of course has an excellent chance to win the french, but until Nadal is beaten anywhere on clay, he still has to be the favorite. We'll see.

Federer of course has an excellent chance to win the french, but until Nadal is beaten anywhere on clay, he still has to be the favorite. We'll see.

Federer had him last year and couldn't keep the lead, he won the 1st set something like 6 - 1 or 6 - 2 and the 4th set in a tie breaker.

How many times has Tiger been beaten in the same month by the same guy?

While Tiger was winning his 13th World Golf Championship event. B)

+4 isn't looking so great at the moment for Woods. Would this equal a first round loss for Federer in the upcoming French open? Which ain't gonna happen

+4 isn't looking so great at the moment for Woods. Would this equal a first round loss for Federer in the upcoming French open? Which ain't gonna happen

Not making the cut is probably the equivalent of a first round loss. If Woods is within 5 shots after two rounds he is still in contention. Even if he is 10 shots out after two he could still make a charge at the leaderboard if he played at his best in the last two rounds.

How many times has Tiger been beaten in the same month by the same guy?

While Tiger was winning his 13th World Golf Championship event. :clap:

Yeah no kidding.

Since I made this thread they both haven't been themselves.

that fact that this thread keeps coming up only when tiger is doing bad shows me something... that people actually watch golf... nobody gives a d1ck about tennis... and if you did would you stay up til 2 in the a.m. to watch some of those matches...

sure... federer dominates tennis... but who cares?? :mad:

edjr = hater

yes, I am a hater. I hate people like you that don't understand what I'm saying.

I do not hate Tiger, he is my favorite golfer ever and if not the best yet, the second best ever.

when I brought this up 6 months ago, Federer was better at Tennis than Woods was at golf. What is so hard to understand?

BTW Tiger was amazing today. Saved 2 amazing bogeys and has birdied twice down the stretch, any other golfer would have shot at least 7 over.

that fact that this thread keeps coming up only when tiger is doing bad shows me something... that people actually watch golf... nobody gives a d1ck about tennis... and if you did would you stay up til 2 in the a.m. to watch some of those matches...

sure... federer dominates tennis... but who cares?? :shocking:

i would get up at 3am to watch aussie open tennis long before i watch the Masters....

it is interesting that someone who can beat Roger has shown up...

twice beaten and the French is his best surface..and rogers worse..

edjr = hater and douche

This guys says Woods is better

Consider that on any given day, Woods is up against a host of competitors, not just one, which is the luxury tennis affords Federer. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, Woods has to beat, or at least keep pace, with players against whom he has no control. Unlike tennis, there is no defense in golf, so Woods was unable to do anything about that 61 Brandt Snedeker threw at him in the first round of the recent Buick Invitational. Instead, Woods was assigned the challenge of tracking down not only Snedeker, but those who shot 63, 64, and 65, too.

If Federer needs five sets to win his first-round match, he’s tied with a guy in the other half of the draw who wins in straight sets.

this is all dumb... who's better... michael jordan at basketball or cale sanderson at wrestling???

Superman >>>>> Batman

this argument for federer > woods is more like

the flash> batman... sure he MAY be better... but he's the fockin flash so who cares???

I don't think Federer's ever gonna beet Nadal on clay. With all of Federer's errors, Nadal could probably beat him without hitting a single winner.

ETA: Nevermind.

Federer got the monkey off his back and finally defeated Nadal on clay today. This could be the boost he needs to win the upcoming French open. It should be interesting.

Federer got the monkey off his back and finally defeated Nadal on clay today. This could be the boost he needs to win the upcoming French open. It should be interesting.

Wow. Big win. I really didn't think Federer had much of a chance today, which is hard to say, but he hadn't been playing well recently and Nadal had been pretty much unbeatable on Clay. Congrats Roger :banana:

I did a search for this, not realizing it was already bumped. :dunno:

HAMBURG, Germany (AP) -- Roger Federer had the perfect response to questions about his status as the world's top-ranked player -- he ended Rafael Nadal's 81-match winning streak on clay.

Federer beat Nadal 2-6, 6-2, 6-0 in the final of the Hamburg Masters on Sunday to win his first clay-court title in two years and snap out of a slump during which he failed to win a title in four events. It was his worst run since he became No. 1 in February 2004.

Federer also gave himself a major boost one week before the French Open, the second major of the year and the only Grand Slam he hasn't won.

"It was an incredible performance from my side," Federer said. "I had a great day, it's nice to be playing well again. It's my first title on clay in a couple of years."

Nadal, who had never lost to Federer on clay in five previous matches and leads the overall series 7-4, was impressed.

Bring on the french open :banana:

i'll bite

yea, hahaha he could only win 7 of the last 8 pga tourneys he sucks :lol:

LMK when federer wins a few french opens. :banana:

:headbanger: :banana: