Sign in to follow this  
greggorymac

Zone Blocking Question

I just read (per Fanball.com) that Carolina was making the switch to a zone blocking scheme for their rushing attack.

Now I know this has always been the staple in Denver, but how did the Falcons, Packers, and Texans do after they made the switch? Did their rushing offense significantly improve? Was there an adjustment period (say half a season) before personal was familiar with the system and using it effectively?

Your thoughts...

Hard to really say what it affected for GB.

They had more from Green so they were more efficient going from 3.4 yards per carry to 3.86 yards per carry.

But also hard to guage the scheme vs. personnel.

Had a whole new crew of guards and a new center (for the most part)...as well as differences with the tackles to do injury or illness.

And they never had to go to about the 5th or 6th string RB in 2006.

The Falcons improved tremendously after they made the switch. But, they also brought in Denver's OL coach (Alex Gibbs) when they did it. I'm not sure they would have had as much success without him to teach the scheme.

My opinion on the Packers is they seemed to have a few more open lanes for running. And hopefully in year two of the system it will be better. Though again personnel changes (Ahman Green) will affect it as well.

My opinion on the Packers is they seemed to have a few more open lanes for running. And hopefully in year two of the system it will be better. Though again personnel changes (Ahman Green) will affect it as well.

So if we assume the same personel as last season in Carolina (no lineman changes, and Foster and Williams keep their same split for the sake of arguement), should I get excited about the potential improvement brought by the new scheme, think there will be a setback as the group learns the system, or will there be not much of a change because of the same personel?

So if we assume the same personel as last season in Carolina (no lineman changes, and Foster and Williams keep their same split for the sake of arguement), should I get excited about the potential improvement brought by the new scheme, think there will be a setback as the group learns the system, or will there be not much of a change because of the same personel?

Maybe for a Williams owner...IMO he seems more fit to run in that scheme than Foster would be.

It didn't work very well the first year here in Minnesota. THey still ran the ball well which you would expect, but the pass blocking suffered. But the Viking personnel is not made for zone blocking other than Birk possibly. Childress refused to dump it and even by the end of the season they still were struggling to catch on. Hopefully he learns his lesson, cans it and lets the guys play the position as they had success in instead trying to change up just so he can be in charge and implement his will.

It didn't work very well the first year here in Minnesota. THey still ran the ball well which you would expect, but the pass blocking suffered. But the Viking personnel is not made for zone blocking other than Birk possibly. Childress refused to dump it and even by the end of the season they still were struggling to catch on. Hopefully he learns his lesson, cans it and lets the guys play the position as they had success in instead trying to change up just so he can be in charge and implement his will.

Thanks DL34, I didn't know Minny implimented that scheme as well... or at least tried to.

CAR's line is on the smaller/more athletic side already (which, by the way, why are smaller OLs automatically classified as more athletic?), so the switch should actually be to a system better suited for their abilities...

two things already in favor of the running game for CAR are happening this year:

1. they are getting guys back from injury, which in and of itself should help a bunch, and

2. w/ Henning gone, they seem to finally realize that they don't have a SDavis style RB anymore so they can't play the 'pound it up the middle' style of football anymore...

and personally, i think a zone blocking scheme should help them in the long run, but they could possibly struggle w/ it at first if they are slow at picking it up... but i actually think it should really suit Fester's running game well too... if they can teach him to make one cut and go (as opposed to doing the dance of 1,000 cuts) he still has great speed and should be able to break some long runs...

well, I feel that zone blocking is designed for an O-line that is without stars. If you have a stud O-lineman, he wont buy into the scheme so much because it is more of a team concept.

so what you need (in my opinion) is a team of quick O-linemen who arent so big, no superstars, and a very good coach who the team respects and who will make the team buy into the system.

if you have a superstar, he gets choked that his thunder gets stolen, and if you have a weak coach, the team doesnt buy into the system.

its proven that you need players with speed to make this system work so this system is NOT for everyone.

just my thought.

If zone blocking was the holy grail of blocking techinique, everyone would use it.

i think it is more a product of coaching and personnel.

i would expect a lull while the o-line both picks it up individually, and learns to opperate as a unit in that fashion. there seems to be an adjustment period when teams switch to it.

Guest JahRasta311

deshaun foster....breakout year?

While i believe it will be good for D williams in the long haul; most say it takes a year or move for the o-line to become proficient at it.

deshaun foster....breakout year?

shh... with all the hype on DWil (who i do think will be good), i'm almost guaranteeing you could get Foster in the 8th or later... and he could be part of a sleeper cell :rolleyes:

shh... with all the hype on DWil (who i do think will be good), i'm almost guaranteeing you could get Foster in the 8th or later... and he could be part of a sleeper cell :rolleyes:

i wish there was a smoking smiley.Deshaun foster has head every chance. he is d-u-n done

I watched every Carolina game last year as I waited patiently for D-Will to take over. While he didn't wrestle the starting job away, it was quite obvious that Foster was running with cinder blocks in his shoes. Foster is verrrrry slow and is clearly not a candidate for a breakout season. Give D-Will the ball.

Foster :rolleyes: = D-Will Owners :clap:

I watched every Carolina game last year as I waited patiently for D-Will to take over. While he didn't wrestle the starting job away, it was quite obvious that Foster was running with cinder blocks in his shoes. Foster is verrrrry slow and is clearly not a candidate for a breakout season. Give D-Will the ball.

Foster :dunno: = D-Will Owners :banana:

i don't think Foster is slow, he still has good/great speed... he just does the "dance of 1,000 cuts" before he ever gets to the line of scrimmage... i'm not a big fan of Fester myself, but if you can get him for a later round pick, he may be worth it if he can adapt to the one-cut and go zone blocking scheme...

If zone blocking was the holy grail of blocking techinique, everyone would use it.

:banana:

I just read (per Fanball.com) that Carolina was making the switch to a zone blocking scheme for their rushing attack.

Now I know this has always been the staple in Denver, but how did the Falcons, Packers, and Texans do after they made the switch? Did their rushing offense significantly improve? Was there an adjustment period (say half a season) before personal was familiar with the system and using it effectively?

Your thoughts...

interesting snippet from the Herald Online...

http://www.heraldonline.com/247/story/15190.html

IN THE ZONE: Panthers coach John Fox told reporters at the league meetings last week the team planned to use more zone blocking this year.

That puts them in line with the bulk of the league, but team officials are careful to point out one difference in the popular perception of the scheme.

They're not going to turn into the Denver/Atlanta lines of recent years, groups which begat reputations for the controversial chop-blocking techniques that made them the bane of defensive linemen everywhere.

Actually, the Panthers are making the switch to make better use of their available talent. Players like Mike Wahle and Evan Mathis in particular seem better suited to the new system. Hurney said he thought even their bigger, more powerful linemen (Travelle Wharton, Jeremy Bridges, Will Montgomery) were athletic enough to handle the adjustments.

precisely. you either have the personnel for it or you don't. this includes the back, who has to adjust his running style.

precisely. you either have the personnel for it or you don't. this includes the back, who has to adjust his running style.

The Vikings absolutely do not have the personnel for it yet the coach seems to once again have it in the future. What does that tell you about the head coach? :pointstosky:

The Vikings absolutely do not have the personnel for it yet the coach seems to once again have it in the future. What does that tell you about the head coach? :lol:

that he's an idealist who is married to the idea rather than the practical result. i understand your frustration.