Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

CNN reports 32 dead at VaTech

Just heard... They now know who the shooter was but aren't releasing that info yet.

In 1966 the police in Orlando, Florida, responded to a rape epidemic by embarking on a highly publicized program to train 2,500 women in firearm use. The next year rape fell by 88 percent in Orlando (the only major city to experience a decrease that year); burglary fell by 25 percent. Not one of the 2,500 women actually ended up firing her weapon; the deterrent effect of the publicity sufficed. Five years later Orlando's rape rate was still 13 percent below the pre-program level, whereas the surrounding standard metropolitan area had suffered a 308 percent increase.

That's interesting. Do you know if other crimes stayed the same (i.e. did criminals switch to other crimes)?

Just heard... They now know who the shooter was but aren't releasing that info yet.

They know who the shooter is for the 2nd-wave. According to the press conference, they haven't officially made a connection to the 1st-wave and are 'still looking for a person of interest' as the description of the shooter in the 1st-wave didn't match the dead shooter in the 2nd-wave.

That's interesting. Do you know if other crimes stayed the same (i.e. did criminals switch to other crimes)?

During a 1974 police strike in Albuquerque armed citizens patrolled their neighborhoods and shop owners publicly armed themselves; felonies dropped significantly.

Actually, I would rather arm Miami students than VaTech students. An armed Hokie nation is more fearsome that arming the inmates in attica :wacko:

Yikes, T's & P's to the victims families. Couple other points:

1) I didn't realize wiffle is a complete tool. I had enjoyed most of its posts up until today.

2) Promoting a gun control agenda ... gimme a focking break.

The media is taking a two-pronged strategy for their blame-agenda. First they appear to be ready to maul university's handling of this, and have temporarily shelved their apparent assault on the police. ANd second, Virginia's gun laws appear to be their next target....

lots of people doing the opposite as well. everyone needs to stfu and let the people at VT heal and figure out exactly wtf happened and why. fock these political agendas.

The media is taking a two-pronged strategy for their blame-agenda. First they appear to be ready to maul university's handling of this, and have temporarily shelved their apparent assault on the police. ANd second, Virginia's gun laws appear to be their next target....

Why even bother sifting through all this BS, when we could just go straight to the real culprit.....

Global Warming!

lots of people doing the opposite as well. everyone needs to stfu and let the people at VT heal and figure out exactly wtf happened and why. fock these political agendas.

Agreed, the word control in my last post was not intentional. Although I'm against gun controls, promoting any gun agenda based on an emotional reaction is the work of a real slimeball in my opinion.

Agreed, the word control in my last post was not intentional. Although I'm against gun controls, promoting any gun agenda based on an emotional reaction is the work of a real slimeball in my opinion.

Its not an emotional response if you've been shouting it from the mountain tops for the past 10 years (me) or the past 140 years (NRA). We've said these things for years to prevent this very type of situation. Not rubbing it in or saying I told you so but if this isnt a situation that demands this conversation take place, what situation is?

Its not an emotional response if you've been shouting it from the mountain tops for the past 10 years (me) or the past 140 years (NRA). We've said these things for years to prevent this very type of situation. Not rubbing it in or saying I told you so but if this isnt a situation that demands this conversation take place, what situation is?

Jesus man, You think putting more gun control sh!t in place is going to stop the idiots from getting guns. There's millions of guns out there. Taking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens isn't going to accomplish jack sh!t. I have 4 myself. I'd give em up if I had to, but I sure as fock wouldn't feel any safer.

Jesus man, You think putting more gun control sh!t in place is going to stop the idiots from getting guns. There's millions of guns out there. Taking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens isn't going to accomplish jack sh!t. I have 4 myself. I'd give em up if I had to, but I sure as fock wouldn't feel any safer.

If guns were suddenly illegal tomorrow, there would be a huge black market for them. Like drugs, their value would go through the roof, and more crime will result.

I think you read me wrong. I am fiercely against gun control. I was saying that the discussion on allowing more people to carry guns should begin. I think everyone should be able to carry which is crime prevention in itself AND allows you to properly protect yourself.

If guns were suddenly illegal tomorrow, there would be a huge black market for them. Like drugs, their value would go through the roof, and more crime will result.

It would result in a lot fewer random shootings like this.

:I'm not a gun control nut. Just sayin:

I think you read me wrong. I am fiercely against gun control. I was saying that the discussion on allowing more people to carry guns should begin. I think everyone should be able to carry which is crime prevention in itself AND allows you to properly protect yourself.

I dunno, I personally lean towards your stance on the subject vs the alternative, but I see no real reason to carry guns around for the general public. I use em for hunting and that's it. They are not even accessable to me in the case someone broke into my house in the middle of the night. They're locked away in a safe in the basement 99% of the time. WTF do we need Joe Average carrying heat around? You think Joe Average would have prevented what happened today? Joe may have limited the deaths to 15??? Is it any less of a tragedy?

First off, there are only a few to begin with. Secondly, not having a gun is not gonna change a psychos mind to carry out what he wants to do. He would have gotten a hold of something, machete, shotgun, hunting rifle etc etc. Even if all he had was a machete he could have done the same amount of damage......after all its the weapon responsible for over 200,000 deaths and dismemberments in the Sudan.

You are so beyond wrong it isn't even funny.

I dunno, I personally lean towards your stance on the subject vs the alternative, but I see no real reason to carry guns around for the general public. I use em for hunting and that's it. They are not even accessable to me in the case someone broke into my house in the middle of the night. They're locked away in a safe in the basement 99% of the time. WTF do we need Joe Average carrying heat around? You think Joe Average would have prevented what happened today? Joe may have limited the deaths to 15??? Is it any less of a tragedy?

Yes, it's less of a tragedy by 15 or so deaths.

Stick to fishing topics ...

Yeah, I knew someone would say that ... it's now less tragic for the 15 students who got killed and wouldn't be getting the coverage that it is.

Knowing that quite a few student may have guns would have definitely changed the Chinaman's plans. Its pure speculation but I would assume that since it was over a girl that he would have just taken her down at her home instead of in plain view with people that may have a permit to carry.

The number of people with Concealed Carry Permits is goin through the roof and interestingly enough you can see a marked decrease in crime in these areas. Also, I follow this closely and have yet to hear of a situation with a CCP holder shooting or killing anyone. Its seems that just knowing someone may have a permit is prevention enough.

Americans have had access to semi-automatic weapons for decades. Given our population of 300 million, it's amazing this doesn't happen more often.

At this point in American history, gun control will never happen and random attacks are inevitable. The best universities can do is hire more law enforcement.

Stick to fishing topics ...

Yeah, I knew someone would say that ... it's now less tragic for the 15 students who got killed and wouldn't be getting the coverage that it is.

No, it's less tragic because there are 15 or so families who don't have to bury their children... it's still a tragedy... but you're the jackass who asked if it was any less of a tragedy... the easy answer is YES.

The number of people with Concealed Carry Permits is goin through the roof and interestingly enough you can see a marked decrease in crime in these areas. Also, I follow this closely and have yet to hear of a situation with a CCP holder shooting or killing anyone. Its seems that just knowing someone may have a permit is prevention enough.

Don't say stupid stuff. It happens, but it's VERY rare (during the commission of a crime).

No, it's less tragic because there are 15 or so families who don't have to bury their children... it's still a tragedy... but you're the jackass who asked if it was any less of a tragedy... the easy answer is YES.

Don't say stupid stuff. It happens, but it's VERY rare (during the commission of a crime).

What are you referring to as stupid?

Yeah, I can't really fathom the thought of having to bury my child. Whether it's 15 or 30 makes no difference. It's a tragedy either way.

You, stupid.

Ive never heard of any CCP holder kill anyone in cold blood or go off on a rampage. If you have, I would like to know.

i mustve been naive and yeah, im old....

but damn..when i went to school..the most anyone ever thought about was a possible after school fight with the school bully...

usually if u just showed up..that was good enough..no scrap...just show you arent afraid...

this is some scary stuff...

thanks to the net and video games..im sure this chinese american dude had this all planned to the second...

pretty sad day indeed.. :doh:

Some mass killings are from law abiding citizens who just went nuts. Outlawing firearms would reduce some mass killings. I know you'll argue that criminals will commit more crime and make up the difference. I'd disagree, but whatever.

I'm not arguing gun control because I don't think it will ever happen and I don't I want it to. I'm just saying there's a price for our right to firearms - random killings.

Some mass killings are from law abiding citizens who just went nuts. Outlawing firearms would reduce some mass killings. I know you'll argue that criminals will commit more crime and make up the difference. I'd disagree, but whatever.

I'm not arguing gun control because I don't think it will ever happen and I don't I want it to. I'm just saying there's a price for our right to firearms - random killings.

So pieces of inanimate metal cause random killings?

Do pencils misspell words?

it's good to see wiffleball left this thread, he was making a complete fool of himself.

I said on pg. 3 that if everyone was armed someone would have taken out this ###### and I'll stand by that statement. I guess the difference in opinion comes down to whether you 'trust' most American people to handle the responsibility of carrying a weapon. I would hope most people would do the right thing and not go all nutso...I've never seen a case opposing conceal and carry permits that provides evidence of someone 'permitted' to carry a concealed weapon.

Through my life I have also known a lot of people on the 'other' side of the law. Even if guns were illegal, it would not be hard to get one. Kind of like it is easier to get a bag of pot in HS then have someone buy you liquor...

it's good to see wiffleball left this thread, he was making a complete fool of himself.

Don't worry, he'll be back tomorrow. He seems to post only when he's at work.

The Dawson College shooter's gun had been properly registered in the Canadian Firearms Registry. That worked REAL well. A registry doesn't protect you against mentally ill people who decide to play The Matrix live.

Not sure there is a solution here...but a mucho expensive gun registry isn't it.

You noticed that too, eh? :doh:

What really bothers me is that the campus police only sent out a mass e-mail to everyone after the 1st shooting.

They should be canceling classes and blocking off the whole damn school!! WTF is an e-mail going to do?

Moron.

As of this morning, they still are unable to confirm that the dead shooter was the only shooter.

15 deaths in this instance. But the 'Joe Average' screaming and shaking his fist at the driver that isn't going fast enough is now armed; as is the parent who's incapable of controlling their kid without screaming in rage; along with every drunk in a bar and mental defective that can pass the kind of strenuous screening that has made owning a driver's license such a restricted group.

To say that stopping one maniac with a gun would be achieved by every maniac having one is insipid.

Gun lovers cite the piddling list of gun related offenses in countries where guns are outlawed as some kind of proof that system doesn't work. Well, it's painfully obvious that allowing guns works even worse.

15 deaths in this instance. But the 'Joe Average' screaming and shaking his fist at the driver that isn't going fast enough is now armed; as is the parent who's incapable of controlling their kid without screaming in rage; along with every drunk in a bar and mental defective that can pass the kind of strenuous screening that has made owning a driver's license such a restricted group.

To say that stopping one maniac with a gun would be achieved by every maniac having one is insipid.

Gun lovers cite the piddling list of gun related offenses in countries where guns are outlawed as some kind of proof that system doesn't work. Well, it's painfully obvious that allowing guns works even worse.

Wrong, and crime rates are consistently lower in states and town where CCW laws are in place. Your type of "doomsday scenarios" where people are settling there differences via gun-battles have been proven ignorant and untrue in every case.

Kennesaw, Georgia enacted a law in 1982 requiring every household to own a firearm, exempting those with criminal records or religious objections. Opponents argued the law would result in serious accidents and that angry residents would settle their differences with gunfire. Happily, those predictions never materialized.

The residential burglary rate in Kennesaw fell immediately -- almost 90 percent in the months directly following the law's enactment. That drop far outpaced the more modest 10.4 percent drop in the entire state of Georgia during the same period.

In the ensuing years, Kennesaw's crime rate has remained at basement levels. In 2001, there was not one murder in the town. No one was gunned down, even though the entire town is armed! The law has continued to work well for 20 years.

And their burglary rate? Well, it seems that thieves are still scared to enter the premises of the average Kennesaw home. Burglaries are still down more than 80 percent.

------------------------------

Crime just isn't much of a problem in "Gun Town U.S.A." According to state figures, Kennesaw's per-capita crime rate has remained essentially static (and low) since 1983. The most recent homicide, in 1989, was committed with a knife. The last gun homicide, in 1986, involved two young men from out of state who were staying at a local motel. "A little alcohol," Chief Wilson recalls, "had something to do with it. They were daring one another to shoot each other, so one of them did." Aside from that incident, Wilson says, there have been no problems with "anybody shooting anybody," even by accident.

Other criminologists dispute the 89% figure, using the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting data, and find instead a small, statistically insignificant increase in burglaries after the law was passed.

:rolleyes: