Sign in to follow this  
Jetdoc

2nd Round Commentary

Anxiously awaiting Miller taking Carson Palmer at 2.02.

Loved the Henry pick. Major upside there. Didn't care for the Brown pick so much..........

13 RBs in a row. Must be the JetDoc Mock. :banana:

I'll break this RB love fest and gladly take Ocho! Palmer has all offseason to concentrate on football and not rehab. This means the passing game should be reved up from week 1. Not to mention a much softer schedule should mean a big year for 85.

I liek the Henry pick as well, basically around where I expect him to go, early to mid 2nd.

Loved the Henry pick. Major upside there. Didn't care for the Brown pick so much..........

13 RBs in a row. Must be the JetDoc Mock. :lol:

Henry and Shanny does seem to add up, but it could also ruin him if the Bell experiment is extended to year 2.

I am really shocked that a player is still available.

Every year, every forum, every mock......I hear people talk about the absurd RB run, but every year, every forum, every mock, every draft....it keeps happening.

I'll break this RB love fest and gladly take Ocho! Palmer has all offseason to concentrate on football and not rehab. This means the passing game should be reved up from week 1. Not to mention a much softer schedule should mean a big year for 85.

I liek the Henry pick as well, basically around where I expect him to go, early to mid 2nd.

Miller Lite for me!!!! (right now!) :banana:

I am really shocked that a player is still available.

I agree. Vernand Morency should've been gone several picks ago........

Edge at 2.03???

Wow. I'm officially surprised. :thumbsup:

Um ok.

Surprised to see Edge here...I know he had an off year, but even if I got his 1400/6 I'd just be getting slightly below value here, with upside for as much as 1700/10...more like a lat 1st rnder and worth it here IMO.

Plus Whisehunt's run first style of offense.

Ronnie Brown, not extremely high on him either but I thnk he has a lot of upside this year. Plus one of the few RBs who we know will get all the carries - hard to find at this point in the draft. I think Miami gets much improved this year.

No problem with the Edge pick either, again - one of the few remaining RBs who get all the carries - plus they are upgrading the OL, Leinart has another year under his belt.

Edge at 2.03???

Wow. I'm officially surprised. :thumbsup:

I honestly could be missing something here...just not sure what.

What's your take on him here and overall fumble?

i wouldve absoluely LOVED to get edge at 2.4, but i knew he'd be gone once nan got that spot. if rudi had been gone instead of parker at my 1.9 pick, theres a fairly strong chance i wouldve drafted edge then. see what nan said. i think hes due for a very big bounceback year behind an improved line and a run-first coach.

hmm... theres one guy at each position to pick from here. very tough choice.

I honestly could be missing something here...just not sure what.

What's your take on him here and overall fumble?

He's a running back and he plays for Arizona. Until somebody breaks through, I will assume that history is a good teacher. Arizona RBs don't produce fantasy numbers. And, if somebody is going to break through, I don't think it will be Edge. He's got a LOT of carries under his belt.

Again, this is an Arizona running back we're talking about. There is major precedent here for mediocrity at best.

He's a running back and he plays for Arizona. Until somebody breaks through, I will assume that history is a good teacher. Arizona RBs don't produce fantasy numbers. And, if somebody is going to break through, I don't think it will be Edge. He's got a LOT of carries under his belt.

Again, this is an Arizona running back we're talking about. There is major precedent here for mediocrity at best.

-OFFICIAL SIDE BAR- (while we wait)

Highway 70 is still closed between Perryton and Pampa Texas, from the 12 inch down fall last week. Never seen a flood last this long, and we are expecting 3 nights of rain. Now for the real bad news........My girlfriend lives in Pampa :pointstosky:

im not too happy with taking portis as he burned me last year, but at #16 overall i cant be too unhappy. theres obviously a QB who is a good value here, but im not interested in two boring safe picks to start my team. theres a WR here who i would really love to take. i figured id take either him or edge here, going into the draft, and i think this WR will have a monster year. but i know how the RBs fly off the board in this mock, and i dont see any chance that theres a RB i would be happy using as a starter by the time its my next pick at 3.9. no chance with all those RBBCs now. and yes im well aware that that could be what i just drafted, but history is on my side to say that a healthy portis will produce great #1 fantasy numbers. and fumble, theres my guy who could (way) outperform his draft spot and easily be a top 5 producing RB. frankly im not sold myself, as i said, and im not positive that betts wont get significant touches... but im also not positive that limiting portis just a tad might not also help him stay healthier and fresher, higher ypc etc. he is in the same tier for me as rudi, edge, etc. hes the biggest ? of them, but he had to be my pick here.

I'm still stunned you guys are so high on Edge. Is Whisenhunt the primary reason for this?????

I'm still stunned you guys are so high on Edge. Is Whisenhunt the primary reason for this?????

It has a lot to do with my rankings on Edge. I will say it again. I think he could be the best pick in this draft since LT.

1. whisenhunt. absolutely. he wants to run the ball and has been public about that. they were supposedly even considering adrian peterson just to have plenty of top notch runners.

2. offensive line improvements. i have a great history of finding RBs ready to improve their stock based on finding good offensive line impovements, and edge fits this so well this year. so does rudi, my first pick, but that was based on injury. for edge, i think levi brown will be a huge and great addition for him, and there were other additions as well. edge is NOT going to be averaging 3.4 ypc again this year, i can promise you that much.

3. leinart starting all year. look at what pittsburgh did to protect the young QB, by running a lot and letting the QB pick his spots. you have a young QB, youre going to run and take the pressure off of him when you can. not as much as in pitt, but it has to help edge's cause.

4. the "edge" edge. first of all, we know he catches a lot of passes. those 300ish yards each year are a nice addition, and its more TD opportunities. and then theres the always obvious upside. edge can be and has been a workhorse, a fantasy stud. if he was still in indy and starting this year, even with last years numbers, he'd be a top 5 pick. hes not over 30 yet, and the upside is still there.

5. improvement down the stretch last year. not a big factor, but once the line gelled toward the end of the year (and relying more on the run game with leinart starting), edge had a ypc of 4.0 or higher in 6 of the last 8 games. and one of those 2 was against minnesota when they simply didnt run.

lets say edge gets 360 carries, an increase in last year but not a huge number. something hes done before 3 times. now lets also pay careful attn to his ypc. it was 3.4 last year, but the only other time it was that low was his back from injury acl year. above 4 every other year, and career 4.1. but this is arizona, and their OL certainly isnt indy's, nor is leinart manning. still i think 4.0 is a good guess for him. thats 1450 yards. hes done that four times in his career. now add in 300 yards receiving, and youre at 1750 yards with possibility for more if arizona really comes together this year (as i expect). throw in 8-10 TDs with an obvious edge upside for more, and you see our excitement. id personally rather have had him than rudi, i jsut hoped to get both. hes definitely my sleeper this year and a guy who will be on most of my teams.

1. whisenhunt. absolutely. he wants to run the ball and has been public about that. they were supposedly even considering adrian peterson just to have plenty of top notch runners.

2. offensive line improvements. i have a great history of finding RBs ready to improve their stock based on finding good offensive line impovements, and edge fits this so well this year. so does rudi, my first pick, but that was based on injury. for edge, i think levi brown will be a huge and great addition for him, and there were other additions as well. edge is NOT going to be averaging 3.4 ypc again this year, i can promise you that much.

3. leinart starting all year. look at what pittsburgh did to protect the young QB, by running a lot and letting the QB pick his spots. you have a young QB, youre going to run and take the pressure off of him when you can. not as much as in pitt, but it has to help edge's cause.

4. the "edge" edge. first of all, we know he catches a lot of passes. those 300ish yards each year are a nice addition, and its more TD opportunities. and then theres the always obvious upside. edge can be and has been a workhorse, a fantasy stud. if he was still in indy and starting this year, even with last years numbers, he'd be a top 5 pick. hes not over 30 yet, and the upside is still there.

5. improvement down the stretch last year. not a big factor, but once the line gelled toward the end of the year (and relying more on the run game with leinart starting), edge had a ypc of 4.0 or higher in 6 of the last 8 games. and one of those 2 was against minnesota when they simply didnt run.

lets say edge gets 360 carries, an increase in last year but not a huge number. something hes done before 3 times. now lets also pay careful attn to his ypc. it was 3.4 last year, but the only other time it was that low was his back from injury acl year. above 4 every other year, and career 4.1. but this is arizona, and their OL certainly isnt indy's, nor is leinart manning. still i think 4.0 is a good guess for him. thats 1450 yards. hes done that four times in his career. now add in 300 yards receiving, and youre at 1750 yards with possibility for more if arizona really comes together this year (as i expect). throw in 8-10 TDs with an obvious edge upside for more, and you see our excitement. id personally rather have had him than rudi, i jsut hoped to get both. hes definitely my sleeper this year and a guy who will be on most of my teams.

Great post! I have Edge on the round 1 side of the corner.

Good solid post, Bomb.....enjoyed reading your rationale on Edge.

I've been playing fantasy football for 22 years. And, NEVER has an Arizona RB been worthy of a high pick at season's end. I know history is made to be broken, but I'm kind of an "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of guy when it comes to Arizona running backs. No one has truly succeeded there. NO ONE.

All this RB talk, what about the WR pick? Too high? Bounce back year? Or very inconsistent again?

Too high for me, but what did you expect me to say? I have a different Wr on the top of my list, because he is safer and steadier.

I didn't expect Ocho Cinco to be the first WR off the board. Last year he was too inconsistent, and I think that there are a couple of other WRs that have proven they can perform at the highest level that I would have taken before him.

But I don't blame you for being a homer. :blink:

I don't think it's too early for a WR.....it's just that we're all going to have a different opinion on who that top guy is this year. There's no clear cut #1 guy at the position. If Johnson projects as your #1, then he's a good pick here. 1,300-1,500 yards and 12 or more TDs is what will make him worthy of this selection.

i think its too high for a WR personally with edge and portis still there. but only slightly. i think cj is clearly in the top 3 WRs for me, probably my #2 right now, so no problem with the pick. i thought about WR though and i just cant live with any of the RBs id come away with in the next few rounds.

so everyone seemed to like the travis henry pick? i was vaguely considering him if the guys i thought would be gone werent at 2.4, cuz i think he should be good even splitting some of the carries... but at the other site that i frequent now, the guys are crazy against henry. everyone here pretty much liked him going at 2.1?

i knew i was going to get roasted for that westbrook pick but he's #5 in my rankings currently as i use this draft to formulate my 1st draft of rankings....westy in the prime of his career and runs behind one of the best lines in the league in the weaker conference.....since i play in PPR leagues all except thie IBL- i think he's a solid pick and wouldn't mind him being my #1 back there...i have to keep that in mind this isn't a ppr league.... :lol:......i think he'll easily catch 75 balls yet again with no stallworth i he's the best wr on the team....a threat to take it the distance on any snap ..... :lol:

all in all i would VERY likely gamble for the upside in addai in the colts' system if this was a real league at that spot....and probably by the beginning of the season i 'll have addai #5.......i have a penchant for not drafting injury prone players like westbrook ( hurt 4 of the past 5 years ) but he finished the season very strong.....heck for that matter addai was injured often at lsu

as for other picks.....i really liked the travis henry pick and was hoping he would fall to me.... and i think edge will rebound somewhat but still finish no better than #15......as much as i have been a mcgahee homer in recent years i am lukewarm on him at this moment......i wouldn't touch brown at all before about 17 or 18 backs in....everything else looks true to form......i see falls for lj and 'Bama shaunie but i still have them ranked high- lj at 3 and shaun at 7

yeah the maroney/mcgahee/ronnie finish to round 1 made me sick to my stomach. guess im glad i got #9 and not 10-12. yikes. :lol:

Yea, I know....the new guy takes a QB. I can hear it all now.

But, the only other choices I was looking at were ***** and ***** and with the downside in some second year backs, I thought the best chance was with a proven QB. I really don't think 2.05 was too early for him, as he was the best "value" on the board. I estimated 335 FF points for Manning based on the scoring system presented, a good 130 points above these two running backs.

I will look at a mid-tier RB or WR on the comeback in round three.

EDGE

I like Edge here, for many of the reasons Bomb mentions, but not expecting quite that much from him. Whisenhunt will almost assurdely run alot, but at this pt in Edge's career don't think it'll benefit him to carry the ball 360+ times. I see more like 320 give or take 10, but as Bomb says closer to 4.0 b/c of OL improvements/whisenhunt/'fresher' being closer to 320 in carries so 320 x 4.0 = 1280 Add 40 recs (low end for Edge) at his career 8 ypr (7.8)...and that's another 320. That's still 1600 and throw in 9-11tds and you've got a nice bounce back year.

CJ

Well you being a Cincy homer Miller, saw CJ pick coming. Comes down to preference (I like couple guys better, but nominally), but was about right spot for a WR so solid pick (only Edge would I consider clearly better at this pt)

I love the 'bounce back' talk about CJ...kid had 87/1370/7, a handful of WRs HAVE a year like that, much less expect to 'bounce back' from one.

Yes TDs were down but Henry (if there) will not get that many again...leave things as is and add 3-5 more TDs and he's gold here in early 2nd.

HENRY

Sure Bomb is enjoying this as we've jawwed recently about Henry...I'm just not sold on him being the man in Den, so with that said, much too early for my taste here in early 2nd. Just don't think he's that much better a fit than Bell in the offense and we'll see more RBBC in Den. If Henry we're to show some signficant seperation during preseason between him and Bell, then I'd be right there with many considering him this high, but I'll pass till then.

PORTIS

lucked out in the 1st and 2nd...would have hated to have had Edge go before me and have to choose between Portis and few other RBs. He could be a huge steal here or be mired in a RBBC...huge risk/reward.

Would likely have gone WR myself if faced with those choices.

ARIZONA RBs

I have two words for you Fumble: Otis Anderson

A few solid FF seasons with the ST LOUIS Cardinals. :( :bandana:

<in your defense, Anderson played there OVER 22 years ago>

MANNING

That's a solid pick IMO robb.

I would've considered the rbs you mentioned (more on this later ;) ) there as well and would have same concerns, so nothing wrong with the safe/solid pick with Manning.

ROBB

FYI, just kind of an 'unwritten' thing...we try to avoid actually naming players who haven't been picked yet.

No biggie, just a heads up moving forward.

ROBB

FYI, just kind of an 'unwritten' thing...we try to avoid actually naming players who haven't been picked yet.

No biggie, just a heads up moving forward.

It would be a very nice deletion on your part.

Yea, I know....the new guy takes a QB. I can hear it all now.

But, the only other choices I was looking at were Bush and MJD and with the downside in these two second year backs, I thought the best chance was with a proven QB. I really don't think 2.05 was too early for him, as he was the best "value" on the board. I estimated 335 FF points for Manning based on the scoring system presented, a good 130 points above these two running backs.

I will look at a mid-tier RB or WR on the comeback in round three.

As everyone in this draft knows, I tend to value QBs higher than everyone else in this draft.....so obviously I think this is a wonderful pick. I would love to have your first two picks as the foundation of my squad. :thumbsup:

CJ

Well you being a Cincy homer Miller, saw CJ pick coming. Comes down to preference (I like couple guys better, but nominally), but was about right spot for a WR so solid pick (only Edge would I consider clearly better at this pt)

I love the 'bounce back' talk about CJ...kid had 87/1370/7, a handful of WRs HAVE a year like that, much less expect to 'bounce back' from one.

Yes TDs were down but Henry (if there) will not get that many again...leave things as is and add 3-5 more TDs and he's gold here in early 2nd.

Your right about the preference, personally there is about 3 WR's at the top I would be happy with any of. As far as the bounce back, that stems from the fact that if you owned CJ last year, aside from a 3 week stretch, you were disappointed. The upside is those 3 weeks showed how dominate he can be. Be fore last year he had been fairly consistent as far as WR's go, he now needs to pair those unbelievable weeks with some overall consistency and he's money.

i think its too high for a WR personally with edge and portis still there. but only slightly. i think cj is clearly in the top 3 WRs for me, probably my #2 right now, so no problem with the pick. i thought about WR though and i just cant live with any of the RBs id come away with in the next few rounds.

Sorry, but taking RB's just to take RB's at this point doesn't intrigue me at all. I would rather take a top 3 WR then pick from the crap that noone else wanted with the first 13 RB's off the board. There are several RB's I can get on the 3-6 rd area that I would be just as happy with as a RB2 as the 2 you mentioned. That doesn't mean I am down completely on Portis and Edge, just means that they simply do not provide the seperation that they once did over other backs. IMO the difference in WR's from a top 3 type guy to the 3-4th rd guys is greater then the difference between the RB's that were left after the initial run and the ones you can get in rd 3-4.

On Manning, great pick, was nearly my pick in the 2nd, but I just couldn't bring myslef to snag a QB there.

Sorry, but taking RB's just to take RB's at this point doesn't intrigue me at all.

:ninja:

Welcome to the dark side, my friend!!!

Edit completed, sorry for the error on my part.

:mad:

Welcome to the dark side, my friend!!!

:ninja:

Don't get me wrong, if I can get a legit top RB/RB combo, I'm taking it, but I don't think that is possible when the first 13 picks are RB's, not in the RBBC era where their are less and less "elite" backs, and many more good backs.

:dunno:

Don't get me wrong, if I can get a legit top RB/RB combo, I'm taking it, but I don't think that is possible when the first 13 picks are RB's, not in the RBBC era where their are less and less "elite" backs, and many more good backs.

Agreed. I get accused of being anti-stud RB theory in this draft, but the reality is that I often do go RB-RB. My goal is to make solid projections, assign values, and then take my top ranked PLAYER each of the first three rounds. After the third, I consider position needs and so forth. We've covered this before, though.

I just don't do RB-RB for the reasons many people do.....if I go that way, it means that a RB was the top player on my board when my pick rolled around. I have 17 RBs ranked in my top 24 players overall, so getting one RB out of the deal is almost a certainty anyway.

Nice pick with Steve Smith. He was top five last year in points scored per game played by a WR with Delhomme having a really, really down year. If Delhomme can bounce back, Smith is likely the top WR again or very close to it.

Addai and Smith is a nice place to start.

Another group of high quality drafters!

I was really surprised to see Portis and Manning falling...and was upset that they got snatched up right before my pick.

After analyzing the last few picks, I figured that the RB run was nearing its end, so I figured a new run was about to take place.

The Edge pick surprises me after last year's performance, but now thinking about it, he's a damb good RB2 in a year where RBBC's seem to dominate the board.