Sign in to follow this  
Jetdoc

6th Round Commentary

So, who else that I'm targeting will be stolen this round?

Not going to do back flips over this one, but Dunn in the 6th is solid value and he will be a nice #3 RB.

I am pretty down on Dunn this year, he's already got some injuries with the arthroscopic surgery on the shoulder. He's gonna be a few months away from 33 when the season starts and Norwood has already showed what he can do and is primed to take over. I think this year it's 70% Norwood and 30% Dunn rushing and I don't see Dunn making it all year.

"Jetdoc Posted Today, 04:25 PM

So, who else that I'm targeting will be stolen this round?"

Ferguson, OT, Jets

JetDoc selects:

Vinny Testaverde or Joe Namath, whichever one is still walking or still sober.

There is definitly some footwork going on here, as comments in the last round don't really match one player still on the board. :wall:

Grrr...

Al Toon, WR NYJ

:ninja:

Broadway JOE!!!!

Looking over my team so far, I pretty much get the feeling that what I've drafted so far is the epitome of a "boom or bust" type team.

McNabb

Alexander

Bush

ROY

R. Moss

All of these guys could blow up or I could end up in last place.

It's not how I usually draft. :ninja:

Looking over my team so far, I pretty much get the feeling that what I've drafted so far is the epitome of a "boom or bust" type team.

McNabb

Alexander

Bush

ROY

R. Moss

All of these guys could blow up or I could end up in last place.

It's not how I usually draft. :ninja:

This draft tends to do that to people, mainly because it is usually our first draft of the year, and it formulates future plans.

Don Hudson, WR, New York Jets

thats actually a really nice job so far shane. i wouldnt have taken roy personally, but alexander, bush, and mcnabb were all pretty good value picks, and moss's upside is unignorable from the late 4th. thats good upside. more like boom or still at least 500, unless all your guys get hurt.

I really like Clayton's potential and I had hoped he would fall to me.....wishful thinking.

Nice pick, NAn.....I think Mason's better years are behind him and as such, Clayton should be the main guy in that offense between the 20s. They like Heap in the red zone, though, so TD totals might be a little light.

I really like Clayton's potential and I had hoped he would fall to me.....wishful thinking.

Nice pick, NAn.....I think Mason's better years are behind him and as such, Clayton should be the main guy in that offense between the 20s. They like Heap in the red zone, though, so TD totals might be a little light.

Thanks fumble...my take:

Sorry guys, got caught up here at work.

Not excited about either player personally, but Taylor/Dunn about right here in early 6th IMO.

There’s a couple other guys I considered here but had to go with Clayton:

· Will be 3rd year

· From research I’ve done his stats for last year have him targeted as a ‘breakout’ wr for this year (that same research I shared with Bomb last preseason and pointed to Evans breakout last year)

· He really progressed well as year went on and was developing rapport with Mcnair

· The qb/offense situation is better than the other WRs I considered

Some would say he’s had a semi breakout with 67/940/5…but it’s just that a semi-breakout, think b/c of Ravens not known for passing attack, Clayton considered by many to be a ‘blah’ guy he could be a nice value pick that could slide to 6th-8th rnd producing in the 80-85/1050-1150/7-8 by season’s end.

With that said:

Thoughts on Clayton overall?

Thoughts on be drafted here? Too soon?Too late?Just right?

well deion branch was my original target at 5.9 before the draft started. ive not been a guy that bought into him in past years, but im buying into him this year because of the system. djax is gone and imo branch is the beneficiary. djax always caught a lot of TDs. branch seemed to be becoming the go-to guy toward the end of the year from when i watched seattle games, and expect him to get some more TDs and see more plays and yards this year. when i made my first receiver list, he came out as #10. having rethought it, thats probably a little high (i just put him about where i wouldve expected djax if he was still there), but id say in the 10-15 range. my expectations for him are probably around 1100/8, which would give me a very nice WR trio i like with a good amount of upside.

im actually surprised at some of the WRs still available. i was sure when i passed on branch at 5.9 that hed be gone before it came back. theres one other WR i cant believe is still there, and theres two others i couldve been ok taking here too. meanwhile, in the last 5 picks or so, a handful of WRs and guys i dont care a whole lot for. not sure what to make of it honestly.

Again....Branch was my choice and he got grabbed one pick before me. Good selelection Da Bomb!!

One of the reasons I did wait this long to select my receivers is the quality still available in these middle rounds. I believe there is still value out there and thought it better to get my 3rd RB, #1 QB and TE first, and then go the WR route. Plus, there is always a receiver on waivers available in weeks 1 or 2 to take. Just look at Colston last year. Now he's a 3rd round selection!

Just my thoughts on the ever important 6th round pick(s).

my take on clayton is that i honestly dont know a ton about him, but he strikes me as one of those deep ball threats. i remember last year he had 2 completely fluke-ish TDs, and i see him as a very hit or miss guy who will either have the long 50 yard grab that game or else give you 2 or 3 points. maybe he matures into more than that, or maybe im misreading completely, but thats what i think of him. theres nothing about baltimores offense that makes me want to be excited or have a part in it this year.

though i am intrigued that he fits nan's formula. thats about it. :rolleyes:

braylon edwards is one of the WRs i wouldve been ok taking here. no idea whats going on with the QB situation there, nor what braylon's health situation is, so thats the two drawbacks. but ive always loved him, and its year 3 and what not. good WR3 pickup in the 6th either way imo.

It pained me to make that selection... :rolleyes:

Again....Branch was my choice and he got grabbed one pick before me. Good selelection Da Bomb!!

One of the reasons I did wait this long to select my receivers is the quality still available in these middle rounds. I believe there is still value out there and thought it better to get my 3rd RB, #1 QB and TE first, and then go the WR route. Plus, there is always a receiver on waivers available in weeks 1 or 2 to take. Just look at Colston last year. Now he's a 3rd round selection!

Just my thoughts on the ever important 6th round pick(s).

robb, TE isnt mandatory in this mock. gates is a WR for you, though still was a good pick imo. but trust me, he wouldve been gone about 15 picks before otherwise.

Not sure if you're intuiting some of your info bomb but:

By ALL the TDs went to DJax, you mean 10, 3, 7 last 3 years?

And it really hasn't been all DJax since '04...since then the recs distrubtion has been spread out.

05: 76/55/38/28

06: 63/53/45/28

So, very much like Pats in no real standout wr.

Add that Branch's best year was his 4th at 79/998/5 (standard scoring Clayton/Brown have already had comparable ff seasons in just their 2nd years)...and that's the only 1of 5 seasons he's played all 16 games, not sure if he's a better lock for 80/1100/7 then any other wr that we took before him.

Do see a few WRs that could be picked here, but not surprised as they have their own issues as well.

Not sure if you're intuiting some of your info bomb but:

By ALL the TDs went to DJax, you mean 10, 3, 7 last 3 years?

And it really hasn't been all DJax since '04...since then the recs distrubtion has been spread out.

05: 76/55/38/28

06: 63/53/45/28

So, very much like Pats

Add that his best year was his 4th at 79/998/5 (standard scoring Clayton/Brown have already had comparable ff seasons in just their 2nd years)...and that's the only 1of 5 seasons he's played all 16 games, not sure if he's a better lock for 80/1100/7 then any other wr that we took before him.

Do see a few WRs that could be picked here, but not surprised as they have their own issues as well.

djax has 10, 3, 7, 9 the last four years, and the 3 was the year when he was basically hurt all year from before the season started.

i liked branch a lot more before i looked at his past numbers. im aware that for like 3 years running, everyone drafts branch in the 5th and gets excited about his projections, and they never happen. certainly it makes me leery. but if i think of him as the new seattle WR1, it makes it a lot more exciting. seattle's #1 WR has been a very good fantasy scorer for some time now. if i remember right, the one bad djax year in there had joe jurevicius putting up double digit TDs that year. some WR always seems to do pretty well for them. maybe that is over now, and maybe stuff will be spread out bt branch, engram, hackett, and burleson. i just think branch is by far the best WR, and he looked like the go-to guy from games i saw down the stretch.

branch vs clayton vs brown, its all about the system to me. seattle has consistently produced good fantasy WRs. philly and baltimore pretty much never do. they produce decent hit-or-miss WRs most often. thats my logic i guess.

robb, TE isnt mandatory in this mock. gates is a WR for you, though still was a good pick imo. but trust me, he wouldve been gone about 15 picks before otherwise.

I understand TE was not mandatory, but it was an example of "getting it out of the way" before receivers. I now understand he would have been selected earlier (makes it that much a better value pick then!).

I sure would be interested in any thoughts you all have on how my team stacks up so far, my interaction, etc. as I am always trying to do a little bit better and learn more from people a whole lot smarter than me!! Thanks for any feedback provided.

Hey Bomb...wasn't bickering my pick v your pick.

Just a little 'devil's advocate' insight wasn't sure you were aware of.

I know I sometimes 'assume' things about an odd player based on what I've heard or just looking at the 'end of year' stats, that are often quite different than the 'real picture' of a player.

Hey Bomb...wasn't bickering my pick v your pick.

Just a little 'devil's advocate' insight wasn't sure you were aware of.

I know I sometimes 'assume' things about an odd player based on what I've heard or just looking at the 'end of year' stats, that are often quite different than the 'real picture' of a player.

dont worry bout it, i know. im just "advocating" back. like i said before with branch, i liked him more before i saw his actual #s so far. even though i'll still have him projected probably in my top 10-15 range, i wont want to take him before the late 5th come draft day, but i still think theres good upside there in the seattle system.

your view on clayton was an interesting one, on bell as well. both of those guys are guys i have just overlooked completely as all flash, no substance to this point. which, to be fair, i havent thought a ton yet about most of the guys from here on out. but you made good points on both. bell certainly seems like a high upside RB3 type. im still not too sold on clayton as more than a hit or miss deep threat. how many of your WRs in the formula move from a hit or miss deep threat to a more consistent type? it was interesting that you brough up evans, cuz i was very high on him last year and had him in most leagues and he really disappointed me, cuz i could never count on him. i would have to fear clayton being similar, til i know more.

Really liked the Branch pick. I had hoped he'd slip to me at 6.10, but knew it was a longshot.

Branch ought to be top 15 this year in that offense. I think he'll be a solid #2 WR, fantasy-wise.

robb, i think youve done a solid job so far. im not a huge fan of any of the RBs youve taken, which makes it hard to like your team a ton, but they were all solid values where you got them except imo norwood. to me, dunn is still the one id want there, and i would think norwood is avilable in another round or two, but im not certain about that. im not a huge fwp or caddy fan, but good spots for both. the manning pick and gates picks were both great. great value, great spot for them, you know what you get and can build around them. i like the braylon pick as well.

my concern with your roster is more against the idea of taking manning so early. i feel like manning doesnt give you a HUGE edge at qb, and youre going to be about average at rb, but your wr corps is going to be hurting compared to most. its a consequence of taking manning so high and of taking norwood in the 5th i think. it just depends on how much better manning ends up than the rest of the QBs. my stance is that the QB i take in the 7th has far less of a dropoff from manning than the 7th round WR3 has from owens at that spot. but ive debated manning enough in this mock.

overall i think youve done a solid job. as for your contributions, would love to hear my thoughts on you as to what you like and dont like from the mockers. everyones got pretty thick skin, and we're all just still deciding who we like and dont like this year. no one will be offended, and we will always welcome another informative opinion on guys. how do you like my team so far?

B/c I only dealt with season ending totals of WRs who fit formula and did go on to 'breakout', I'd say my data wouldn't have that breakdown of those WRs who were consistent v deep threats.

Jeez, bomb..how much analysis breakdown do I need to do friend?:lol:

I'll add ht/wt/astrological sign/favorite food network program to my analysis of 'RB workloads' this year just for you ok? :ninja:

B/c I only dealt with season ending totals of WRs who fit formula and did go on to 'breakout', I'd say my data wouldn't have that breakdown of those WRs who were consistent v deep threats.

Jeez, bomb..how much analysis breakdown do I need to do friend?:lol:

I'll add ht/wt/astrological sign/favorite food network program to my analysis of 'RB workloads' this year just for you ok? :ninja:

lol. well can you tell me the names from your list from the last 2-3 years? dont tell me this years yet, id hate to steal names out from you in this mock.

Yeah, I have the info on desktop at home and will send it to you tonight or in am.

Robb,

The majority of us have been doing this mock for 6 years running. We’re also‘veterans’ on the site (and there’s no status attached to veteran, just means we’ve been coming to this site for a long time) and participate in a lot of discussion/debate/etc.

We do this draft and as you can see, bounce opinions of each other…some solid ffers in this group and always good to hear their insight.

We all know the aim is to get an idea of where players will fall and form our opinions on players, so we take shots at each other at times and critize each other picks, but we all know it’s in the interest of learning from each other.

Feel free not to hold back on input…can only help the process.

Like feel free to TEAR APART that joker Bomb’s team…just craptastic!

Don't know why we let him come back every year! :dunno: B)

where the heck's the coot? he was here awhile ago.

:dunno:

i want to pick. clash, please don't take my player

So...how bad was the LenDale pick? I know he's already showing attitude issues, but he IS the starter in Tennessee (unless Chris Henry takes over, which I'm pretty skeptical about).

There was someone I really wanted here, but couldn't take the risk of not having my backup RB with Marshawn as my #2.

Thoughts?

So...how bad was the LenDale pick? I know he's already showing attitude issues, but he IS the starter in Tennessee (unless Chris Henry takes over, which I'm pretty skeptical about).

There was someone I really wanted here, but couldn't take the risk of not having my backup RB with Marshawn as my #2.

Thoughts?

Well, he showed up to practice today. That is a good sign.

speaking of titans, how do we feel about drafting someone with the initials VY and getting on with the show?