Sign in to follow this  
Jetdoc

9th/10th Round Commentary

Try not to pick anyone taken 2 rounds ago....

Covering my ass with the Turner pick.

BRILLIANT! :dunno:

I almost went QB QB, but Foster still has some value and who knows, DeAngelo might get hurt. I had one other RBin mind, but I opted for Foster obviously.

Crumpler is a good pick. He's a safer TE than Shockey or Winslow IMO.

I liked Danzone's corner. Favre and Foster were nice picks. I was torn between Favre, Cutler, and Hackett, and the choice kinda got narrowed down for me. I believe he will be the leading receiver in Seattle. Hass really locked onto him last season.

wow, im surprised to see cutler mentioned and chosen. i had him as a sleeper i figured to get easily as my backup later on, but i guess i must not be the only one thinking that way. does that make him a starter for you, v4e? i like him as a very good backup this year, the forgotten one of the sophomore starters. people forget he had like five 2 TD games in a row last year as he got into a groove. i have him for like 3400/23 modestly, which put him about equal with favre and a couple others left as the top backups available. nice pick, but i was very surprised to see him already go.

alge is a solid pick. hes the falcons' top receiver every year, and he doesnt have much of a ceiling but hes a dependable WR3 fallback any given week if you need it.

interesting that foster is going so late now. if you can use an early 5 / late 8 on deangelo and foster as your RB2 this season, that might not be so bad at all. very very interesting. you could end up doing something like a stud top 5 RB, stud WRs in the 2nd and 3rd, a top QB in the 4th like brady/brees, deangelo in the 5th, use the 6/7 turn for WR3 and RB3, then foster in the 8th. i like that team quite a bit. team could look safely like brees, gore, deangelo/foster, f taylor, owens, fitzgerald, 7th round WR of choice. thats not bad at all.

===

looks like we're going to be stalled again for awhile, maybe even (but hopefully not) the weekend. shane falco's last post said:

"I'm not checking out but I'll be a little busy this weekend. Tonight I have to drive down to Detroit so I won;t have internet access, but I can send someone my phone number...."

unless anyone has his number, we may be stuck here. clash, i see you lurking. send me a list of a couple names if youre going to be out, that way we can keep rolling if we do get ahold of shane. same for you if youd like, robb. if i have short lists from both you guys, we can get through the middle of this round with a jetdoc pick as well.

wow, im surprised to see cutler mentioned and chosen. i had him as a sleeper i figured to get easily as my backup later on, but i guess i must not be the only one thinking that way. does that make him a starter for you, v4e? i like him as a very good backup this year, the forgotten one of the sophomore starters. people forget he had like five 2 TD games in a row last year as he got into a groove. i have him for like 3400/23 modestly, which put him about equal with favre and a couple others left as the top backups available. nice pick, but i was very surprised to see him already go.

I was really hoping for Favre, but dan took him ahead of me. Cutler was really the only QB left that I'd want to rely on as a starter. I didn't want to risk him not making it back to me, so I pulled the trigger. Maybe a little early, but I had to take him.

wassup peeps???!! :cheers:

i am about to head out the evening but i am around for the pick if shane falco makes it back from detroit rock city......can they pull it off nite and stay alive or will an era come to end???? either way- spurs in 6

-anyway i can't believe all th qbs taken here - thought sure i could get a farve or cutler here....ohh well.....tough call for me at 8.7- in a real draft i would probably go safe and just snag foster ( i just love dwilll too much this year )...but i have a bad feeling about portis again.... he's a very good back but he really runs too upright for someone of his stature.... and he's already missed their 1st training camp with tendinitis in his knee....i know the staff likes betts a lot and i think he takes a big chunk of time regardless....i cam dam close to taking michael turner there also- i knew vikes would take him at the turn

i could post my predraft pick because i know falco won't take him based on his roster but i'll just wait- if anyone would like to call or text me at 205-413-6719- i'll give you the pick

good drafting so far

Just got bad from Detroit, lucky i made it out of there before the riots :banana:

I'll be around pretty much all tomorrow, so hopefully there won't be any more delays from me....

Kevin Curtis :pointstosky:

Just got bad from Detroit, lucky i made it out of there before the riots ;)

I'll be around pretty much all tomorrow, so hopefully there won't be any more delays from me....

Kevin Curtis :lol:

Curtis is a great pick. He's a guy I was hoping might last one more round. <_<

If I were to pick a leading team at this point, it would be from the first 3 draft slots. I'm leaning towards Danzone, as I really like what he's done.

Sent my selection to RC and NaN in case I am not back, gone for 1 1/2 hours.

Went with potential with my next WR to couple with the "boring" selection of Muhammad last round.

Hopefully Holmes will show what he started to at the end of last year...I think he got over 80 yards per game when they put him in the starting lineup.

I know Rothlisberger struggled last year, but Holmes is one of those guys that I have pegged as a "sleeper" for 2007.

i really like both the back to back pittsburgh picks there. i think big ben should be back healthy and ready to go again this year, and i think they may open up the offense a bit as well. i wouldnt expect amazing numbers but he was only slightly trailing my numbers for kitna, hasselbeck, vy, and hes ahead of guys like favre and eli for me. dont forget that he gets a couple sneaks each year too so that boosts him a bit.

santonio holmes was a sleeper WR i was really keeping my eye on. i had no idea he had such good numbers last year as i didnt expect much from him in the nfl, but he had 850 yards last year on a struggling team and when he didnt even start half the year. im not expecting him to explode because i think being in pitt's offense limits him some, but i do have him at about 950/5 and i could see more yardage than that too. hes a good upside pick that i'll be watching for.

i cant believe, though, that the 2 guys i considered other than matt jones at my 8.4 pick are both still there. actually theyre two guys i considered at my 7.9 as well, and i thought one or both of them would be gone by my 8.4 already. one of them i dont like that much but thought hed have gone by the 6th or 7th. the other of them is someone i wanted to take last round but thought he might slip if i passed.

It's been 40 hours since my last pick...so......

A. Thomas, Running Back, Buffalo Bills

I know, some will doubt this selection, but to get a starting running back on an NFL team in the 9th round is value in my book. He will go into training camp as the starter and I am well aware Lynch is there, but he is a rookie still and Thomas has played in this league a few years.

Who knows, if Thomas can show something early on Lynch may end up sitting for a while, or if Lynch gets hurt, then Thomas has the job for good in 2007 as they don't have anyone else. I think it's a better chance for me than some second/third stringer "wanna-be". I find it hard to believe he is still available at 9.08. JMO.

thomas wasnt even on my radar, but you make good points. my counterpoint, though, would be that i dont think he would be worth too much even if he does get some starting time.

i honestly cant believe jerry porter fell this far, i guess people are sick of being burned by him. i have him even with guys like glenn and chambers, legitimate late 6th round picks. when porter plays, he is productive. hes going to be in lane kiffin's big play offense, and hes never been a stud like we expected sometimes, but hes been a good TD threat and usually gets almost to 1000 yards (and that as a WR2). i figure he has to be pretty healthy after a year off. im not expecting amazing things here, but 1000/7 looks like a decent projection for a guy on a team with no real run game who will be behind every game and doesnt have many other decent receivers. really, i think this would be my favorite pick of my draft so far. i wouldnt feel too terrible using porter as an every week WR3. he'll be at about #25 on my WR list once i do all my rankings i think. but apparently i am alone on this one?

also, nans gonna be PISSED. lol.

Good choice on Porter. It was either him or Thomas for my pick right before you, but I decided to go RB. If I wanted a WR, Porter would have been my pick. Good upside, ____ is his only compitition now. My other thought was Holmes, but he was selected right before me.

I have the Raiders marked as avoid. This doesn't mean that there won't be a few suprises, just that I won't be a buyer. I need to recheck this philosophy, however, for there is no doubt that Porter is value at this point. There is another wideout on this squad that I think is could be as good though.

Anthony Thomas has run the ball well when given the opportunity in Buffalo. I think there's some potential there if something were to happen to Lynch or if he couldn't adapt to the blocking schemes.

Curtis and Holmes were both very good values for this round. They have real potential, perhaps the potential to be solid #2 FF wideouts if their offenses click this year. Nice selections!

NaN is "on the clock"

im headed to the pool boys and then to a jazz fest tonight.....co call me or text me if it becomes my pick

no one can stop my combo of westbrook and TO!!!!! :banana:

im headed to the pool boys and then to a jazz fest tonight.....co call me or text me if it becomes my pick

no one can stop my combo of westbrook and TO!!!!! :banana:

..............cept TO :lol:

very weird, i know i saw nan in here earlier.

So did I so I thought he would pick soon.hmmmm........you allright NAn???

also, nans gonna be PISSED. lol.

:lol: :dunno: :lol:

PORTER

Yes, Bomb and I have been talking about players we considered at our picks since rnd 7 or so, and Porter was it for me and sounds like same for Bomb.

I'm not saying that as a homer who expects 1200/9 from the guy...I've been down this road before with Porter.

But, even if everything that everyone is scared of happens this year, I'd still expect 800/4...about what any players we draft here will get, but with Porter potential for more.

So, IMO at worst, break even, at best, great value pick.

BELL

Curious on thoughts here...couple of wrs I considered here but should be able to get some on comeback and don't think Bell would make it back with FK behind me.

Suffice to say, I'm not sold that Henry will be 'main man' in Denver or that even if he is, that Bell won't won't contribute significantly.

If nothing else, Henry has played a full season just once 5 years ago.

nan, i thought you would take bell at 7.10 or 8.3 awhile back actually. i have been considering bell since the 7th as i do think he will get a good number of touches. the problem is that even though he has the best final #s left of any RB on my board, i just dont know that hes a guy i would think i could ever rely on putting into my lineup. thats why i passed him up after considering him each of my last 3 picks.

also nan, after what you said at your 8.3 pick, i knew you were talking about porter (i thought 50/50 he went to you there) and i knew youd be especially happy if he made it alllll the way back and got snagged right before you. :lol:

Hey Bomb, Have you checked for Miller over at that other place? :ninja:

i let him know. but FK said he was gone for the weekend, so i dont think we'll be able to do his picks anyways.

I had a tough time choosing between Porter and Holmes with my last pick. Good choice...he's got all the talent in the world if he can just make amends with Al Davis.

nan, i thought you would take bell at 7.10 or 8.3 awhile back actually. i have been considering bell since the 7th as i do think he will get a good number of touches. the problem is that even though he has the best final #s left of any RB on my board, i just dont know that hes a guy i would think i could ever rely on putting into my lineup. thats why i passed him up after considering him each of my last 3 picks.

also nan, after what you said at your 8.3 pick, i knew you were talking about porter (i thought 50/50 he went to you there) and i knew youd be especially happy if he made it alllll the way back and got snagged right before you. :)

I considered Bell those picks in 7th/8th, but (1) qbs were getting thin in a hurry and really liked Romo/Young's value where I got them, (2) was ready to let Bell fall just to see where he'd go.

Again, FK tell me otherwise, but this late and you having Henry, didn't think he'd make it back.

I don't disagree with your assessment Bomb...but he is my 4th rb, so worth a flyer here IMO.

Yes, think it was this comment that said I was considering Porter at 8.3:

'There's a couple players I considered here, especially one that I of all people should get...'

But this was a good lesson in 'adjusting to draft on the fly'...after a few TEs started going off the board, I started to figure 'man, maybe NOBODY wants Porter...they're even going TEs ahead of him'.

Plus how much Raider RBs fell also had me thinking 'maybe NOBODY wants RAIDERS'...or at least not excited about them.

So, I figure I could wait...then toward end of 8th I remembered that I was like 90% you were thinking of Porter as a 'guy you're shocked is still there' and then knew...yes, right before me :ninja: , you'd snag him up.

Still, good to note for future drafts, though don't think I'll be able to take advantage in my money leagues quite this deep in draft with so many Raiders homers in my leagues.

Porter and Holmes were both guys I was looking at!!! Sounds like we all think a like.

Went with Jones here, hell, at least he's a number 1, and at this point that's not too bad.

Thanks for the note Bomb, thought this was stalled for the weekend.

is jones a #1? i was just trying to look at tennessee players, and he didnt seem like the #1 to me.

i figured you would be hoping for santonio holmes. i was really hoping when it got to my pick, i would have to choose between either pissing you off with santonio or nano with porter. :D

Guys - I apologize for holding this up, thanks robb for the voice mail heads up. Man, I'm realizing I'm not even close to ready for this year. Usually I can skate through this mock and make picks and form a decent team. I'm having to check out more and more players, their situations, seems there are so many changes this year, potential rookies taking over, who's going to win a RBBC situation, new players on new teams etc. This year you definitely need to do your homework. In hindsight, probably wouldnt have taken 2 TEs back in 7th/8th - probably would've went Gonzo and either M. Turner or M. Bell - in a real draft, no way the Tomlinson owner gets the courtesy of also getting Turner in the 9th round, V4E lucked out there in my opinion that we were all sleeping. Good mock so far, very learning experience.

sorry to name drop at this point, but what is the story with chris brown for tennessee? i havent seen him even on a top 50 list and i dont figure he will be drafted in this one. everyone is going for either lendale or chris henry, but if you go look at the titans' depth chart, its chris brown who is listed as the starter. hes the most proven and has been a good RB before. so what gives? does he have a serious prolonged injury or is there some story im forgetting, or have people just given up on him?

sorry to name drop at this point, but what is the story with chris brown for tennessee? i havent seen him even on a top 50 list and i dont figure he will be drafted in this one. everyone is going for either lendale or chris henry, but if you go look at the titans' depth chart, its chris brown who is listed as the starter. hes the most proven and has been a good RB before. so what gives? does he have a serious prolonged injury or is there some story im forgetting, or have people just given up on him?

He's a free agent and still hasn't signed with a team- Tennessee or otherwise. There's simply no telling what roster he'll land on between now and August.

To my knowledge, Chris Brown is not even technically resigned with Tennessee.

is jones a #1? i was just trying to look at tennessee players, and he didnt seem like the #1 to me.

i figured you would be hoping for santonio holmes. i was really hoping when it got to my pick, i would have to choose between either pissing you off with santonio or nano with porter. :rolleyes:

:headbanger: From what I have read ,the Titans are expecting him to be. Worth the risk I guess.

That pick should get some talking. I fully realize Vick could be suspended if this whole dog fighting story blows up on him like it appears, but Goddell has made it clear he is going after "repeat" offenders with the quick suspensions, I expect him to allow the court process to work on this one and then act. Which means, it will drag out past the season and Vick will play in 07.

If that ends up being the case, this is highway robbery. Vick is the 10th is great value, and makes a nice back-up, hell if he's there, he would likely go into the year being the #1.

I don't remember if it was the Jte doc or the June mock, but this is where I took Vick in one of them. He is fine this year and this was a good pick.