Sign in to follow this  
Grizzly

Green to Miami

Dolphins finally get Green

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This Subscribe

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

Posted: 21 minutes ago

Chiefs quarterback Trent Green has finally got his wish. He's now a former Chiefs quarterback.

The Miami Dolphins have agreed to trade a fifth-round pick in the 2008 draft — which could become a fourth-rounder depending on how much action Green sees for Miami in 2007 — in exchange for the veteran quarterback, FOXSports.com has learned.

The deal is contingent on Green passing a physical. He is scheduled to fly to Miami Tuesday evening to take that physical.

The Dolphins could have ended the protracted negotiations long before Tuesday, but had held out in the belief that the Chiefs would eventually cut Green.

The long-discussed deal finally got done when Chiefs brass informed the Dolphins a trade had to get done by today or else they would have kept Green on their roster for the 2007 season.

Green played in just eight games for the Chiefs in 2006 due to injury. He completed 61.1 percent of his passes for 1,342 yards, but threw for just seven touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Jay Glazer is a senior NFL writer for FOXSports.com.

Yep, just saw it. Marty Booker here I come :banana: :headbanger: :doublethumbsup:

i foresee another concussion behind that line :pointstosky:

I think that line will be ALOT better this season, IMO. Alot of changes, but in this case, good ones.

I guess I don't understand how Culpepper goes frominjured to OK and then out altogether. I mean how f'ed up is his knee?

:blink: :dunno: :dunno:

Way to play hardball Carl Peterson! Great news. Good luck Trent!

:o :thumbsdown: :dunno:

Way to play hardball Carl Peterson! Great news. Good luck Trent!

hard ball? He wanted a 3rd, Then a 4th, ended up taking a 5th. :dunno:

hard ball? He wanted a 3rd, Then a 4th, ended up taking a 5th. :thumbsdown:

It will most likely be a 4th conditionally. That's a hell of a lot better than nothing! :o

It will most likely be a 4th conditionally. That's a hell of a lot better than nothing! :banana:

No, it is a conditional 5th...

No, it is a conditional 5th...

Currently 5th... turns into a 4th rounder depending how many games Green plays.

Can't be good news for Larry Johnson.

How many games did Green even start last year? Johnson did just fine with Huard.

I guess I don't understand how Culpepper goes frominjured to OK and then out altogether. I mean how f'ed up is his knee?

I'm one of the only Dolphin fans who didn't want Green traded to Miami. I was hoping Culpepper would start and revert back to his winning ways once he got healthy.

So much for that. They'll probably cut Culpepper within the next few days. Now we have a 38 y.o. QB who's coming off a major concussion and is one minor concussion away from ending his career. :banana:

How many games did Green even start last year? Johnson did just fine with Huard.

I'm one of the only Dolphin fans who didn't want Green traded to Miami. I was hoping Culpepper would start and revert back to his winning ways once he got healthy.

So much for that. They'll probably cut Culpepper within the next few days. Now we have a 38 y.o. QB who's coming off a major concussion and is one minor concussion away from ending his career. :cheers:

Hey atleat you have a vetran qb which brings less pressure for ronnie. The d "should" be better with porter. Green has to be the best qb there since marino. Good luck

So much for that. They'll probably cut Culpepper within the next few days. Now we have a 38 y.o. QB who's coming off a major concussion and is one minor concussion away from ending his career. :(

If your line can give Green time, he's a great QB...when he had protection in KC, he went to the Probowl several years(all without any stud receivers excluding Tony Gonzalez). He's got a great arm and makes good decisions. He's worth a 5th or 4th. I'm just glad Carl got something for probably the best QB the Chiefs have had since Montana or Len Dawson.

Winners: Miami, Ronnie Brown, Chris Chambers

Losers: Kansas City, Larry Johnson

KC should be just fine, being similar to Denver you can simply plug almost any moron into the system.

Miami appears to be the place where quarterbacks now go to die... :(

Winners: Miami, Ronnie Brown, Chris Chambers

Losers: Kansas City, Larry Johnson

KC should be just fine, being similar to Denver you can simply plug almost any moron into the system.

Miami appears to be the place where quarterbacks now go to die... :sleep:

green wasn't even going to be a factor, to get anything out of him was a victory for KC. LJ is not affected whatsoever.

Does anyone know the conditions of the dealt pick?

they wont disclose those, we wont prolly know we got a 4th till after he meets the PT requirements :cheers:

Green was a very good to great QB during his run in KC, I just think he's at the tail end of his career and his skills have greatly diminished. I didn't like him heading into 06 as he was already in decline. That shot to the noggin certainly didn't help any as he looked like ass once he came back. I see an adequate to poor 07 for Trent. He's another domino in the long line of medicore to terrible QBs that have been Dolphins since Dan Marino hung 'em up. As a Dolphin hater this makes me :rolleyes:.

Although I'd really like to root for Green, he was a good story and was a top QB for years and seems like a nice guy, now that he's wearing a cartoon Dolphin on his helmet :clap: .

Green has to be the best qb there since marino. Good luck

I think we heard the exact same thing about Culpepper last year. :huh:

they wont disclose those, we wont prolly know we got a 4th till after he meets the PT requirements :shocking:

It's being reported as a 4th if Green takes 70% of the offensive snaps. 11 games. I could see Miami benching him for Beck if they're on the skids by then.

Green was a very good to great QB during his run in KC, I just think he's at the tail end of his career and his skills have greatly diminished. I didn't like him heading into 06 as he was already in decline. That shot to the noggin certainly didn't help any as he looked like ass once he came back. I see an adequate to poor 07 for Trent. He's another domino in the long line of medicore to terrible QBs that have been Dolphins since Dan Marino hung 'em up. As a Dolphin hater this makes me :thumbsdown:.

I think we heard the exact same thing about Culpepper last year. :D

Eh, I think Green can definitely have a good season next year. I think Culpepper was alot more of a project than Green is. Green is completely healthy...

Eh, I think Green can definitely have a good season next year. I think Culpepper was alot more of a project than Green is. Green is completely healthy...

He's also much older and coming off a nasty concussion. Once you suffer one you are more susceptable to another. He's no longer that mobile and the Miami line isn't too great. He was also in serious decline prior to 2006 and his head injury. He's a solid pro and may be a good mentor for Beck, but I don't see anything better than medicore stats and performance out of Trent this year.

How many draft picks have Miami given away for QBs in recent years?

2nd for AJ Feely :mad:

2nd for Daunte Culpepper :lol:

5th for Joey Harrington :mad:

early second spent on Beck :mad:

4th for Trent Green :mad:

No wonder this team has been mired in mediocrity or worse for the last several years.

Miami should have just taken their lumps this year and gone with Lemon, Culpepper, and Beck. Why bring in an aging veteran for a draft pick? This team needs to build for the future, not be giving up future picks. The defence is getting old, but Green isn't going to put this team over the top. They've got a young RB, young WR's, and a couple of good young QB's. Save your picks for the future. At best they finish ahead of the Bills in their division this year. I don't see how that's worth the cost of another pick.

also, the chiefs are loaded up in next year's draft receiving picks for Green and Tynes and Sims, should be looking at around 10 picks :thumbsup:

According to the local news,if TG plays at least 70% or more of the offensive plays for Miami,it will become a 4th round pick instead of 5th.And IMHO,Miami is getting a steal.Yeah'he got hurt bad last year and didn't fully recover from his concussion,but he's healthy now and he played extremely well for KC since he arrived here.He made many plays with substandard WR talent and he generally won't hurt you with dumb mistakes.I think over the course of the season,Miami fans will come to really like this move.

According to the local news,if TG plays at least 70% or more of the offensive plays for Miami,it will become a 4th round pick instead of 5th.And IMHO,Miami is getting a steal.Yeah'he got hurt bad last year and didn't fully recover from his concussion,but he's healthy now and he played extremely well for KC since he arrived here.He made many plays with substandard WR talent and he generally won't hurt you with dumb mistakes.I think over the course of the season,Miami fans will come to really like this move.

I'm not saying he's not a good QB. But he's 37 and the Dolphins aren't going to win anything this year or next. So what was the point of giving up the pick when you could have used it to rebuild your defence. :thumbsup:

trent played well with Willie Roaf, Bryan Waters, Casey Weigmann, Will Shields and whoever at RT.

With Victor Riley, Jordan Black and the other scrubs they ran through there, not so much.

I don't think Miami's line compares anywhere near those names listed above

:lol:

He's also much older and coming off a nasty concussion. Once you suffer one you are more susceptable to another. He's no longer that mobile and the Miami line isn't too great. He was also in serious decline prior to 2006 and his head injury. He's a solid pro and may be a good mentor for Beck, but I don't see anything better than medicore stats and performance out of Trent this year.

How many draft picks have Miami given away for QBs in recent years?

2nd for AJ Feely :wub:

2nd for Daunte Culpepper :(

5th for Joey Harrington :huh:

early second spent on Beck :dunno:

4th for Trent Green :doh:

No wonder this team has been mired in mediocrity or worse for the last several years.

Well the QB stuff goes back alot farther than 2004, but I agree that they've made some questionable decisions. However, I also trust Randy Muellers judgement.

And Green really wasn't in "serious decline" before 2006. He actually was one of only four QBs in NFL history to throw for 4k+ yards in three straight seasons, from 03 - 05. His numbers dropped slightly in 05, but hardly a serious decline as you say. And although he will be 37 before next season, he really only has 8 years of experience. I think he'll be OK. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if Miami finished 2nd in the AFC East next season. I mean, if you say Green is susceptable to another concussion I'd definitely make the argument that Chad Pennington is a hit away from his season/career being over.

Listen we have a top 5 D so anything is possible. The schedule will be tough for one. The line will be improved. We have the best O-line coach there is. The running game should be better and Ginn should help special teams and open the offense. I can see anything from 6-9 wins this year.

And Green really wasn't in "serious decline" before 2006. He actually was one of only four QBs in NFL history to throw for 4k+ yards in three straight seasons, from 03 - 05. His numbers dropped slightly in 05, but hardly a serious decline as you say. And although he will be 37 before next season, he really only has 8 years of experience. I think he'll be OK. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if Miami finished 2nd in the AFC East next season. I mean, if you say Green is susceptable to another concussion I'd definitely make the argument that Chad Pennington is a hit away from his season/career being over.

He only threw only 17 TDs and didn't look as mobile in 05. He looked like ass last season when he came back, perhaps it was due to his rung bell but team physicians did clear him to play. He is 37, whether he started every game in his career or not has nor relevance, its not like he's a RB and we should be concerned with wear and tear. Most QBs hang it up at that age or become much less effective. See Brad Johnson, Brett Favre.

And its is a fact that once a player suffers a concussion he is more susceptable to a reoccurrence, not sure how Chad Pennington affects that one way or another. Unless the Dolphins signed Chad to play o-line and with what they have in place, that wouldn't be shocking (only slightly less shocking than the Dolphins finishing in second place :o ).

Chris Chambers' stock just went up. :banana:

yep another new Qb he'll be breaking in... along with another new head coach, another new offensive coordinator and a fresh new playbook.... his stock is in the toilet at the moment, just like its been for the past 5 years while Miami continues to shuffle around pig Qb after pig Qb, and new coaches up da arse....

:unsure: