Sign in to follow this  
rotisserieking

Remarried geeks with kids from previous marriage

The wife and I are getting our living will together and the thought occurred to me that if I go, what rights does she have as a stepmom? Until know I hadn't thought about it and kind of assumed she would take my place but legally speaking I guess the ex can challenge that and get full rights - is that right?

Does she need to adopt them officially to get full rights like I assumed above?

HELP!

The wife and I are getting our living will together and the thought occurred to me that if I go, what rights does she have as a stepmom? Until know I hadn't thought about it and kind of assumed she would take my place but legally speaking I guess the ex can challenge that and get full rights - is that right?

Does she need to adopt them officially to get full rights like I assumed above?

HELP!

My sister married a guy with 2 kids from a previous marriage (he actually had custody because other mom was a real POS). Anywho, my sister was their stepmom. They divorced and even though my sister had been mom to them for 10 years, she has absolutely no rights to see them without some serious lawyering up.

She has none.

Yes, she would have to adopt them and that would entail bio-mom giving up her parental rights. Good luck with that!

She has none.

Yes, she would have to adopt them and that would entail bio-mom giving up her parental rights. Good luck with that!

Is that how is has to work? No f'ing way that would happen or that I would expect it to. Well that is seriously screwed up, so I guess there's no way around it? :dunno: Even if I name my wife as the kids legal guardian it sounds like that means nothing if birth mom wants to fight it?

Is that how is has to work? No f'ing way that would happen or that I would expect it to. Well that is seriously screwed up, so I guess there's no way around it? :dunno: Even if I name my wife as the kids legal guardian it sounds like that means nothing if birth mom wants to fight it?

Retty much. :first:

Biological fathers barely have any rights... don't even start thinking a "step" has any rights, no matter what you designate him/her.