Sign in to follow this  
penguinbda

Auction value adjustments

Mike,

Can you talk a bit about how the Auction value adjustment works in Draft Buddy? This is a feature I have been looking forward to.

Thanks

Do you mean the inflation adjustments?

Okay. This is a cool and important feature, even if less heralded than the other new features. Giving credit where credit is due, it was suggested by member pikapp383 who actually customized his own Draft Buddy last year. He directed me to some articles on inflation... which is normally a concept associated with fantasy baseball... and I liked it, it makes sense, and I incorporated it into Buddy this year.

The idea is that as there are differences between winning bids and what you initially expected people to bid on players, then there is more or less money available later in the auction to spend on remaining players. Therefore the expected bid amounts on remaining players should be adjusted.

If owners are "overspending" relative to your estimates, then there is less money available, and the remaining expected bids get adjusted down. This is deflation.

If owners are "underspending" relative to your estimates, then there is more money available, and the remaining expected bids get adjusted up. This is inflation.

This concept is important for keeper leagues. As I've always told people, the Compiler is no different whether it is a keeper league or not. It must rank all the players as if a re-draft to produce appropriate values and rankings.

In the case of auction/contract keeper leagues, often players are kept because they are a bargain. This could result in a high inflation factor. If a $70 Larry Johnson is being kept at only $7, then that leaves $63 more dollars for that owner to spend and drive up prices.

The calculation is not so complex to account for money spent by position. I don't think this would work since most leagues offer flexibility in how many players at a position people can draft. What you can see though, on the summary tab, is the total forecast spend and the total actual spend for all players already drafted, and the inflation factor.

Then you can toggle inflation adjustments on or off with that switch on the summary tab, or from the Draft Buddy top menu. If you have it on, then the auction values on the summary tab, plus the left cheatsheet on the offense, idp and overall are all adjusted. You'll notice the right side cheatsheet on offense, idp and overall is never adjusted, because you may want to make re-rank adjustments there based on the initial Compiler values. The auction input tab always shows both amounts.

In prior years I had a "difference" column on the auction input tab essentially with this concept in mind to try to assess if your auction is overspending or underspending. Having added this feature now, I dropped that column.

I think I'll go setup one of my auction contract dynasty leagues right now and see what the inflation factor is.

Okay. This is a cool and important feature, even if less heralded than the other new features. Giving credit where credit is due, it was suggested by member pikapp383 who actually customized his own Draft Buddy last year. He directed me to some articles on inflation... which is normally a concept associated with fantasy baseball... and I liked it, it makes sense, and I incorporated it into Buddy this year.

The idea is that as there are differences between winning bids and what you initially expected people to bid on players, then there is more or less money available later in the auction to spend on remaining players. Therefore the expected bid amounts on remaining players should be adjusted.

If owners are "overspending" relative to your estimates, then there is less money available, and the remaining expected bids get adjusted down. This is deflation.

If owners are "underspending" relative to your estimates, then there is more money available, and the remaining expected bids get adjusted up. This is inflation.

This concept is important for keeper leagues. As I've always told people, the Compiler is no different whether it is a keeper league or not. It must rank all the players as if a re-draft to produce appropriate values and rankings.

In the case of auction/contract keeper leagues, often players are kept because they are a bargain. This could result in a high inflation factor. If a $70 Larry Johnson is being kept at only $7, then that leaves $63 more dollars for that owner to spend and drive up prices.

The calculation is not so complex to account for money spent by position. I don't think this would work since most leagues offer flexibility in how many players at a position people can draft. What you can see though, on the summary tab, is the total forecast spend and the total actual spend for all players already drafted, and the inflation factor.

Then you can toggle inflation adjustments on or off with that switch on the summary tab, or from the Draft Buddy top menu. If you have it on, then the auction values on the summary tab, plus the left cheatsheet on the offense, idp and overall are all adjusted. You'll notice the right side cheatsheet on offense, idp and overall is never adjusted, because you may want to make re-rank adjustments there based on the initial Compiler values. The auction input tab always shows both amounts.

In prior years I had a "difference" column on the auction input tab essentially with this concept in mind to try to assess if your auction is overspending or underspending. Having added this feature now, I dropped that column.

I think I'll go setup one of my auction contract dynasty leagues right now and see what the inflation factor is.

very curious about the new auction features.

what was the inflation factor?

very curious about the new auction features.

what was the inflation factor?

Not sure what you mean LTsharks. That is what the above post is trying to explain.

Inflation factor is neutral until there are keepers or winning bids input in Buddy. Then it adjusts with every new keeper input or winning bid.

sorry, got a little confused for a moment by the last line of your post.

another, hopefully better, related question -

how does the software convert your projections to the initial auction values? are there user adjustable settings, sort of like a baseline adjustment, for the different positions?

The inflation/deflation factors are a very important part of an auction and i'm happy to see that feature. I'm just looking for a little more detailed information about the auction portion of the software before i would purchase.

sorry, got a little confused for a moment by the last line of your post.

another, hopefully better, related question -

how does the software convert your projections to the initial auction values? are there user adjustable settings, sort of like a baseline adjustment, for the different positions?

The inflation/deflation factors are a very important part of an auction and i'm happy to see that feature. I'm just looking for a little more detailed information about the auction portion of the software before i would purchase.

Okay, no problem. The auction values are calculated as more or less an extra step beyond simply ranking the players for a non-auction draft. Its complex, but in general terms it works like this:

- calculate projected fantasy points based on projections and scoring

- rank all players by position (fantasy points highest to lowest)

- combine all players and rank overall (value highest to lowest) ... this is where the starters/backups, number of teams, overall ranking method and baseline adjustments come in to influence the calculated value of each position and player.

- if an auction, figure out the available auctions funds in the draft, number of players to be drafted, and allocate the money to all these players based on their calculated value.

So as you can see, the baseline adjustments and such that apply to non-auction leagues still work for auction leagues. This means you can increase or decrease importance of positions in the Compiler to influence the calculated bid values.

Also, once you move this data over to Draft Buddy, then it has similar re-rank functions for auctions, but in this case you actually adjust the bid values as you feel is appropriate. Say no matter what adjustments you make in the Compiler, you think the top 5 RB will go for an extra $10 at auction. You can easily set it to add $10 to the bid amounts for the top 5 RB. And so on, and so forth until you're happy with the bid amounts across the board on your cheatsheet.

Then after that, you start inputting keepers and/or draft picks, and the inflation adjustments kick in.

So as you can see, the baseline adjustments and such that apply to non-auction leagues still work for auction leagues. This means you can increase or decrease importance of positions in the Compiler to influence the calculated bid values.

Also, once you move this data over to Draft Buddy, then it has similar re-rank functions for auctions, but in this case you actually adjust the bid values as you feel is appropriate. Say no matter what adjustments you make in the Compiler, you think the top 5 RB will go for an extra $10 at auction. You can easily set it to add $10 to the bid amounts for the top 5 RB. And so on, and so forth until you're happy with the bid amounts across the board on your cheatsheet.

Then after that, you start inputting keepers and/or draft picks, and the inflation adjustments kick in.

Thanks - exactly the information i was looking for.