Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Round Four Draft Commentary**

Where is RLLD??? I'll be around til 6:30pm EST and then back around 8:30pm EST....

I sent him an e mail

surprised to see caddy fall that far too. i still dont like him and hes not in my top 25, but 4th round is a good place to gamble on a guy like that. i like deuce as a 4th a lot more than the 3rd (jetdoc mock) as well.

the bulger pick is a shocker to me. i think he went a full round too early. hes only really had one great fantasy season, and with the QBs still on the board, i have a really really hard time believing he wouldnt have made it back to the next pick.

Actually, he would not have gotten back to me. And given the way that I'm looking at my board, he was more valuable than the players I will not yet mention. :thumbsdown: He's the last of that tier of QBs (one other, perhaps), whereas there are options later. It was a tough decision, but the other 2-3 players I was considering may still be around in round 5 . . . maybe 6.

Incidentally, I'm okay with not thinking like everyone else in the draft. :cheers:

Good first day, guys..... :thumbsdown:

Hopefully, we can finish out this round this evening and start tomorrow somewhere in Round Five.

Good first day, guys..... :cheers:

Hopefully, we can finish out this round this evening and start tomorrow somewhere in Round Five.

It was a good day. Too bad RLLD screwed it all up by going AWOL :P The least we should do is really pile it on him! :lol:

Where is RLLD??? I'll be around til 6:30pm EST and then back around 8:30pm EST....

Solo, no need to hang out if you have leave. I am sure Ray will come along. Check in later tonight and you pick should be waiting.

Solo, no need to hang out if you have leave. I am sure Ray will come along. Check in later tonight and you pick should be waiting.

Ok. I will be back on by 8:30 EST.

This is the second time I jumped on a qb before I wanted to. I set targets on players, and if they are there, and the top target available, I grab them. That takes some of the gut wrench out of the decision. Twice now Brees has been available, not my top target, but higher than any Rb or Wr available. The gut wrench sets in after the pick, when you now have to scramble to put the pieces together. Life was sure easier when I flat just wouldn't take a qb till round 7, then snag 2 in a row.

I have my #6 and #12 back, my #2 Qb, and my #8 wideout, yet I'm hollow inside :cheers:

This is the second time I jumped on a qb before I wanted to. I set targets on players, and if they are there, and the top target available, I grab them. That takes some of the gut wrench out of the decision. Twice now Brees has been available, not my top target, but higher than any Rb or Wr available. The gut wrench sets in after the pick, when you now have to scramble to put the pieces together. Life was sure easier when I flat just wouldn't take a qb till round 7, then snag 2 in a row.

I have my #6 and #12 back, my #2 Qb, and my #8 wideout, yet I'm hollow inside :doublethumbsup:

It's all about patience RC. Every year at this point I have an idea of what I am trying to build and unless something really major is there, I stick with my draft boards. Otherwise, I run the risk of screwing myself

up for three rounds trying to fix it. You will feel better once more peices are added to the puzzel.

4.07 was a tough pick this time, there were about 4 players that I "coveted" if that is the right word.

I went with Lewis because he is a still a big, quick RB who might have one last season left in him. ANd if they dont misuse him, like they did in BMore, he could pan out well.

Once the picks roll along I can elaborate further, and we can sanity-check it.... :(

4.07 was a tough pick this time, there were about 4 players that I "coveted" if that is the right word.

I went with Lewis because he is a still a big, quick RB who might have one last season left in him. ANd if they dont misuse him, like they did in BMore, he could pan out well.

Once the picks roll along I can elaborate further, and we can sanity-check it.... :(

Just got your e mail Ray. Better that the pick waited. I know what you mean when you are looking at at least 4 guys that would be a great addition to your team. I am going through that now as well. Not to mention 4 different directions at a minimum. Solo will check in shortly and I will make my selection about 5 minutes after his. I am flipping coins at the moment.

It's all about patience RC. Every year at this point I have an idea of what I am trying to build and unless something really major is there, I stick with my draft boards. Otherwise, I run the risk of screwing myself

up for three rounds trying to fix it. You will feel better once more peices are added to the puzzel.

That is what has happened. I had every intention to take a wideout, but the ones I targeted were gone, or paled to the value in Brees. I used to draft by the round, knowing before the round started what position I was drafting. Now I am staying more flexible, and it really takes me out of my comfort zone.

Call me crazy but I think I just snagged a guy who can hang on Mannings heals this season. Two short seasons ago Brady was a monster and led the league in yards and scores. The talent at receiver and running back has increased dramatically IMO. Add to that an experienced offensive line and the sky is the limit. I expect a ton of yards and he may just get his 30 TD season. At 4.09, his value could not slide

to the top of this draft. I simply could not let that happen.

I like the last two picks as Brady was the next Qb on my list ans AJ the next wideout. I considered AJ, cuz I needed the receiver. He just fell below the line I drew. I am rethinking Brady this past week. I have already went on the record stating I felt this would be his best fantasy year. Now I am moving him up even further feeling he'll need the pass more than ever. Not that Maroney isn't any good, just that they can't grind a lead out like before with him. I had Brady 5th, now I move him to 4th.

I like the last two picks as Brady was the next Qb on my list ans AJ the next wideout. I considered AJ, cuz I needed the receiver. He just fell below the line I drew. I am rethinking Brady this past week. I have already went on the record stating I felt this would be his best fantasy year. Now I am moving him up even further feeling he'll need the pass more than ever. Not that Maroney isn't any good, just that they can't grind a lead out like before with him. I had Brady 5th, now I move him to 4th.

I have him ahead of both Brees and Bulger, and in a dead heat with Palmer. Will be interesting to watch this unfold.

wow, absolutely love those two picks. thought they were both 3/4 turn picks, and am very surprised to see AJ slide down past a bunch of the other WRs already gone. good pick there. brady is a great pick. i have him basically equal, just trailing slightly behind peyton and palmer at the top of the QB board. for lou to get a superstar RB, a pair of stud WRs, and now brady is a real coup imo.

I had my fingers crossed Brady would get by Lou. I figured the only chance was that he only had 1 RB on his roster at this point but oh well, it was a pipe dream. Great pick Capt, Brady's my #2 QB.

Also a good pick by Solo grabbing AJ. I know Clash is high on him so I wasn't expecting him to make it to me but these were 2 guys I had hopes for.

wow, absolutely love those two picks. thought they were both 3/4 turn picks, and am very surprised to see AJ slide down past a bunch of the other WRs already gone. good pick there. brady is a great pick. i have him basically equal, just trailing slightly behind peyton and palmer at the top of the QB board. for lou to get a superstar RB, a pair of stud WRs, and now brady is a real coup imo.

Thanks Bomb, my feelings exactly.

I will check back in a bit to see if we make the turn tonight. Great day fro progress. Bomb I will e mail you a list/plan and feel free to make selection tomorrow. I am 8-5 with no access. Thanks for the help.

Well...It appears that I was not alone in wanting Mr. Brady in this round.

:clap: Damn you, Captain! :clap:

ICEMAN

Thanks Bomb, my feelings exactly.

I will check back in a bit to see if we make the turn tonight. Great day fro progress. Bomb I will e mail you a list/plan and feel free to make selection tomorrow. I am 8-5 with no access. Thanks for the help.

I'm gone from about 11:15 to 1. I have a meeting 1:30 to 3, not sure if I'll have access then or not but will try to keep tabs or get the pick to someone.

Where is 'Bama Boy?

Clash, you can't trade this pick, stop working the wire :clap:

ETA: I was going to call Clash, but since we're officially off the clock I think it's best we just wait him out.

I had my fingers crossed Brady would get by Lou. I figured the only chance was that he only had 1 RB on his roster at this point but oh well, it was a pipe dream. Great pick Capt, Brady's my #2 QB.

Also a good pick by Solo grabbing AJ. I know Clash is high on him so I wasn't expecting him to make it to me but these were 2 guys I had hopes for.

Sorry, but the slide had to stop.

Where is 'Bama Boy?

Clash, you can't trade this pick, stop working the wire :banana:

ETA: I was going to call Clash, but since we're officially off the clock I think it's best we just wait him out.

I e mailed him. Clash will surface......

So how is everyone feeling so far? I am pleased at the moment with my team, but a ton of work still to do.

I have my #6 and #12 back, my #2 Qb, and my #8 wideout, yet I'm hollow inside :wacko:

I miss spoke above, and wanted to correct it. I had the Qb's Manning, Palmer, Brees, #$%^%$, Brady, now I have moved Brady to number 4. I am pleased with my team thus far, but really need to work to finish. I am pleased to have the Qb/Rb tandem of Brees/Bush, and feel it will pay big dividends in double points. Sometimes there are those backs like SA, that take the TD's away from the qb. I love Qb/rec.RB combos, and Qb/TE combos. I would have loved to have grabbed a better #1 wideout, but Driver is proven effectiveness and was the best I could grab in the third. I can't wait till we get to about round 7, so we can really get a feel for the teams. I shutter to think of what Clash might get with this pick, as there are still a handful of real beauts to be had.

I miss spoke above, and wanted to correct it. I had the Qb's Manning, Palmer, Brees, #$%^%$, Brady, now I have moved Brady to number 4. I am pleased with my team thus far, but really need to work to finish. I am pleased to have the Qb/Rb tandem of Brees/Bush, and feel it will pay big dividends in double points. Sometimes there are those backs like SA, that take the TD's away from the qb. I love Qb/rec.RB combos, and Qb/TE combos. I would have loved to have grabbed a better #1 wideout, but Driver is proven effectiveness and was the best I could grab in the third. I can't wait till we get to about round 7, so we can really get a feel for the teams. I shutter to think of what Clash might get with this pick, as there are still a handful of real beauts to be had.

Your right about that QB-RB tandem. Probably could not get a better hookup. But we will take full advantage of you come week 4. Lol. As for Clash, I already know his pick. I could be wrong here, but I kinda doubt it.

I hear the pitter patter of little Clash feet in the house. :wacko:

Your right about that QB-RB tandem. Probably could not get a better hookup. But we will take full advantage of you come week 4. Lol. As for Clash, I already know his pick. I could be wrong here, but I kinda doubt it.

I hear the pitter patter of little Clash feet in the house. :wacko:

I think I have it too!

I nailed it, and there goes another 10 Td's. Bulger/Sjax is another nice qb/rb combo.

Nice work RC. BTW, I did see Ice trolling the main board about 30 minutes ago. If we get him and JScott back we can get this thing back down the fifth round. A solid day of some nice drafting.

So how is everyone feeling so far?

I have a few other targets (besides A.Johnson & Brady) that if they fall to me I'd be :headbanger: at this point. If not I'll be :doublethumbsup: with my first 5 picks.

it was my girlfriend's 23rd birthday so i was gone.......i thought we were done for the day.....but after i saw the 4.6 i thoughi had a decent chance at brady....but not in this draft....i have brady as my #2 qb but i have a feeling this may be his best year ever and i can see him surpassing manning...great pick lou.....best value in the draft i think.....you can just never underestimate qbs and brady is as reliable as it gets and never gets hurt....i thought johnson might slide to me with the soloist needing a back but nope

like i stated in the jetdoc mock i really like plaxico to have a career year himself with no barber and the fact i think jacobs is gonna struggle trying to carry the load...i see 10 tds and about 1200 or so for plaxico....he''l make a nice tandem with TO

more thoughts later.....

Well, I was wrong. Nice pick Clash.

i bet i know who you thought i would draft....i'll post when he is picked if that was the guy

it was my girlfriend's 23rd birthday so i was gone.......i thought we were done for the day.....but after i saw the 4.6 i thoughi had a decent chance at brady....but not in this draft....i have brady as my #2 qb but i have a feeling this may be his best year ever and i can see him surpassing manning...great pick lou.....best value in the draft i think.....you can just never underestimate qbs and brady is as reliable as it gets and never gets hurt....i thought johnson might slide to me with the soloist needing a back but nope

like i stated in the jetdoc mock i really like plaxico to have a career year himself with no barber and the fact i think jacobs is gonna struggle trying to carry the load...i see 10 tds and about 1200 or so for plaxico....he''l make a nice tandem with TO

more thoughts later.....

i bet i know who you thought i would draft....i'll post when he is picked if that was the guy

Knowing how much you like Plax this year and for all of the reasons stated above, it was a solid pick up for your team Clash. I too like Plax to have a solid season.

Brady at 4.09 was just an awfully good pick....I actually thought you might grab him at 3.04, Lou.....must be nice to get him here.

Brady at 4.09 was just an awfully good pick....I actually thought you might grab him at 3.04, Lou.....must be nice to get him here.

Sure was Fumble. I had no idea he would make it back. Then Brees and Bulger hit the deck. The picks as well as Solos' could have been easily inverted. Had he gone Brady by chance, I was taking AJ. Both guys

were going right there either way. Two real nice values IMO.

more thoughts later.....

I really like the Plaxico pick. If there is a regret in taking Jacobs, this was it. I didn't see Plaxico falling into my lap. :ninja:

Nice job, Clash.

So how is everyone feeling so far? I am pleased at the moment with my team, but a ton of work still to do.

Despite the lashing for my timing . . . I think I have a solid start. I don't believe that you win a league in the opening rounds. You win them in the mid-to-late rounds. I mull over the different shapes I could have gone with at this point, but then I'm still learning the drafters that I'm competing with here.

Solid base . . . but it needs some work to make this complete.

I feel pretty good. It's nice to see people lurching for the QB's, letting other stuff fall to us. In true IBL tradition, the QB's are still good in rounds 5 and 6 :blink:

I have a few other targets (besides A.Johnson & Brady) that if they fall to me I'd be :banana: at this point. If not I'll be ;) with my first 5 picks.

I had planned on WR/QB at the turn. And was hoping one of three WRs would fall to me. When AJ & Plax both came off the board I thought ICE might take Ward, leaving me :dunno: but thankfully he didn't and I was able to score Ward. I feel Rothlesburgers poor year last season has devalued Ward too much going into this season. IMO Big Ben will get back to form and Ward has the potential to be a top 12 WR, so great value at 4.12 :blink:

I had planned on WR/QB at the turn. And was hoping one of three WRs would fall to me. When AJ & Plax both came off the board I thought ICE might take Ward, leaving me :dunno: but thankfully he didn't and I was able to score Ward. I feel Rothlesburgers poor year last season has devalued Ward too much going into this season. IMO Big Ben will get back to form and Ward has the potential to be a top 12 WR, so great value at 4.12 :(

I agree. And I really thought Ward would drop just a few more picks. I might regret my Bulger pick yet. I had thought to pick Ward up on the way back through.

beware of hines ward guys. he is not the receiver he used to be, so you need to be careful about just plugging in his name and expecting great numbers. over the last three years hes been remarkably consistent (with yardage at least), and during that span, his average season is 985 yards and 6 TDs. those are the numbers that mark a stellar WR3 and a decent WR2. but hes going to be gone in the 4th or 5th in every draft. that looks like a guy i pass on. hes 32, hes on a team that still controls the clock and runs first when it can, he hasnt stayed consistently healthy for awhile, and he hasnt been a star fantasy player since 2003. at some point i think we have to let him go.

the captain really wanted marshawn lynch at his 5.4. wouldve been good draft value had he fallen, but i figured he wouldnt. im not a huge fan personally, so im a bit relieved actually lol.

beware of hines ward guys. he is not the receiver he used to be, so you need to be careful about just plugging in his name and expecting great numbers. over the last three years hes been remarkably consistent (with yardage at least), and during that span, his average season is 985 yards and 6 TDs. those are the numbers that mark a stellar WR3 and a decent WR2. but hes going to be gone in the 4th or 5th in every draft. that looks like a guy i pass on. hes 32, hes on a team that still controls the clock and runs first when it can, he hasnt stayed consistently healthy for awhile, and he hasnt been a star fantasy player since 2003. at some point i think we have to let him go.

the captain really wanted marshawn lynch at his 5.4. wouldve been good draft value had he fallen, but i figured he wouldnt. im not a huge fan personally, so im a bit relieved actually lol.

Bomb, thanks for the analysis on Ward. Just curious who you would have taken at WR ahead of Ward here, if you had to take a WR. Obviously, let's wait until that WR had been taken, but I'm just curious. :doh:

There's caution here to be had, for sure, but I believe that Ward's year last year was an anomaly. I think he rebounds and has a year better than ADP. He works as hard as Marvin Harrison (but gets punished more because of style) and I believe Arians is going to open that offense up some. They will not become Indy, but they certainly should look more balanced than in years past. Ward should be the primary benefactor.

bantering back about ward...

let me be clear that this is not a knock on ward as a player. hes one of my favorite WRs and a guy id want, maybe more than any WR, if i was starting a team. i just think that unless you really look at the numbers, one has a blinded opinion about ward. i know because im a stats guy, and i certainly did until ive looked closely at ward over the last week or so.

for instance, i argue that last year does not qualify as an "anomaly." last year qualifies as the norm now that ward has performed at about 1000/6 for three straight seasons. if he was to suddenly jump to 1200/10 this year, then *that* would be the "anomaly" in my opinion.

also i think everyone needs to be careful about assuming so much about this pitt offense opening up and what it will do to folks' numbers. pittsburgh wasnt exactly a bad passing team last year. yes big ben threw a lot of picks, but do we all realize this team threw for 23 TDs and over 4000 yards last year? that was 12th and 8th in the league respectively. do we really think that theyre going to open the offense full throttle and increase that even more, and if so, to what? like 4500 and 28? now youre second only to the colts really. im just not sure theres room to open up this offense much more. remember, pittsburgh was playing behind for large chunks of last season, and i dont think anyone expects that again. so im not sure theres going to suddenly be a lot of extra yards and TDs for ward to regain -- and im not sure hes the only benefactor if there were.

jscott, as for what WR... im not sure. i like branch way more, but i dont know that id have taken him so high. i do think thats about correct ADP for ward, i just think folks would be smart to let others take him there. hes only going to get about 1000 yards, so that puts him behind every WR who has been taken so far and a good handful who still will be. so the only way hes worth that draft position is if he jumps back up to 10+ TDs instead of 4-6. doesnt seem worth the risk to me. pretty limited upside. the upside is only in the form of TDs, and thats a pretty unpredictable ledge to go out on.