Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Round Nine/Ten Draft Commentary**

depth at any position in this draft is a good play. having a pair of good kickers, for instance, coudl be a huge boon for you cuz you could get a 10 point game every week. its just you only have a few extra picks. in this case since you got a lower tier TE, adding a second is a good idea.

cap'n wouldve liked watson as his starting TE after waiting so long, but all 3 picks in between lou's picks had a starting TE already while all 3 of you (i think?) needed a backup QB. watson is nice but passing on vick and dropping to his next highest ranked qb wouldve been a big hit, so that was the issue.

Although it didn't work out on the back side, no question it was the right call at the time. :thumbsup:

thanks. as it turns out, he got lj smith instead who is imo better, or at least pretty evenly replaced. the numbers last year were pretty easy.

i have to wonder if people arent sleeping on lj smith a little. hes not been a good TD guy yet, but he was really getting thrown to very often last year the first half of the season when mcnabb was healthy, then just kinda fell off the face of football in the second half. which is the mirage? i dont know, but if you take hte half of the season with mcnabb and extrapolate it to a whole season, its 60 catches for 800 yards. at the very least, hes one of those quite playable TEs if you miss one of the top 5 or so. i generally seem to wait on TE, so i imagine he will be one i'll be watching for. theres one other TE i think i might have preferred here slightly. we shall see where he (or she ;) ) goes.

thanks. as it turns out, he got lj smith instead who is imo better, or at least pretty evenly replaced. the numbers last year were pretty easy.

i have to wonder if people arent sleeping on lj smith a little. hes not been a good TD guy yet, but he was really getting thrown to very often last year the first half of the season when mcnabb was healthy, then just kinda fell off the face of football in the second half. which is the mirage? i dont know, but if you take hte half of the season with mcnabb and extrapolate it to a whole season, its 60 catches for 800 yards. at the very least, hes one of those quite playable TEs if you miss one of the top 5 or so. i generally seem to wait on TE, so i imagine he will be one i'll be watching for. theres one other TE i think i might have preferred here slightly. we shall see where he (or she ;) ) goes.

I love everything about him, but the sports hernia. That is why he has slid further this year. He should be fine for the season, but those things can linger. I prefer Smith over Watson for reasons I'll explain later.

Scoring wise, Smith actually scored more in the 2nd half of the season.

Two seaons ago I had LJ as my starting TE in my $ league. And he drove me absolutely nuts. He dropped SO MANY easy passes, it was disgusting. I still remember a TD dropped at the goalline with no one around him, that not only would have won the game for PHI but also for me in the league. I swore I would never draft him again. But last season my hand was forced and with the departure of TO I figured he'd get a lot of looks from McNabb. He did, and started holding onto the ball more. But as you pointed out, one Garcia took over LJ seems to disappear. IMO the 1/2 half of last season is more indicative of this years production, BUT his recent surgery for a sports hernia scares me at this point. If he looks good in pre-season I expect him to move up in drafts.

Isn't Smith in a contract year?....and didn't they draft a TE fairly high this year as a possible replacement?

Two seaons ago I had LJ as my starting TE in my $ league. And he drove me absolutely nuts. He dropped SO MANY easy passes, it was disgusting. I still remember a TD dropped at the goalline with no one around him, that not only would have won the game for PHI but also for me in the league. I swore I would never draft him again. But last season my hand was forced and with the departure of TO I figured he'd get a lot of looks from McNabb. He did, and started holding onto the ball more. But as you pointed out, one Garcia took over LJ seems to disappear. IMO the 1/2 half of last season is more indicative of this years production, BUT his recent surgery for a sports hernia scares me at this point. If he looks good in pre-season I expect him to move up in drafts.

8. 190. Smith, L.J. PHI TE 54 2 5 6 1 3 8 1 0 B 0 8 7 0 6 4 3 0

Actually 26 points before the bye, and 28 points after in my leagues.

8. 190. Smith, L.J. PHI TE 54 2 5 6 1 3 8 1 0 B 0 8 7 0 6 4 3 0

Actually 26 points before the bye, and 28 points after in my leagues.

McNabb played into week 11, I should have been more specific that by "first 1/2" I meant when McNabb was in. Two out of the seven games Garcia was at QB, LJ didn't even have a catch. So when I said "looks" I meant targetted. McNabb looked for LJ at the beginning of the season, more than Garcia did at the end. And LJ had one big game after the bye, that was the game McNabb got hurt in, which padded his second half stats.

McNabb played into week 11, I should have been more specific that by "first 1/2" I meant when McNabb was in. Two out of the seven games Garcia was at QB, LJ didn't even have a catch. So when I said "looks" I meant targetted. McNabb looked for LJ at the beginning of the season, more than Garcia did at the end. And LJ had one big game after the bye, that was the game McNabb got hurt in, which padded his second half stats.

true...............he still had 4 fine weeks with garcia,and had injury concerns during those weeks. My point really isn't necessary. LJ will do fine when HE'S healthy, whether it be McNabb throwing to him, Garcia, or whomever. Andy Reid gameplans him and calls his #.

i have to wonder if people arent sleeping on lj smith a little.

I can't imagine taking Smith before any of the already selected TE's. Further, not sure that I would take him over a handful of those not yey selected. I cannot differentiate his value from the next 9 possible TE's :cheers:

I can't imagine taking Smith before any of the already selected TE's. Further, not sure that I would take him over a handful of those not yey selected. I cannot differentiate his value from the next 9 possible TE's :lol:

So Heap is finally better than somebody??!!? :dunno:

:lol: :dunno:

So Heap is finally better than somebody??!!? :banana:

:banana: :banana:

Yeah, Heap is better :banana:

assssssss......... :banana:

I can't imagine taking Smith before any of the already selected TE's. Further, not sure that I would take him over a handful of those not yey selected. I cannot differentiate his value from the next 9 possible TE's :dunno:

i think i personally would rather have him than davis, winslow, witten, or watson, and ahead of all but maybe 1 of anyone left. but to be fair, i havent really done much looking at TEs, so maybe that will change as i settle in on them. im positive he'll end up in my top 10 though, i'd guess around 6-8.

Well someone had to take Vick so why not me. I e mailed DaBomb and had him head and shoulders fantasy wise above the board, especially with 6 for rushing TD's. Bomb had the aggies to make the move with both up and down side. I think a year suspension is out of the question for if indited without any conviction. We are innocent until proven guilty no matter how much we want to hang these bastards. With that said, my team could live with a 6 or 8 game suspension should it ever get to that point. He is simply a high risk with even higher reward for a 10.08 IMO. Worth a gamble and a great pick by Da Bomb.

Yes it is true I wanted Watson because I see many opportunities for Pats at the position this year. I have no idea how a defense will cover so many guys with speed. I see Watson down the middle all day long. Not sure if he will garner more than 4 or 5 scores because of all the talent around him, but he is certainly a tight end with more upside this season than last IMO.I had Watson neck and neck with LJ since I see more scoring from LJ. The guy seams to coming along nicely as a qaulity tight end start and getting McNabb back will ceratinly give him more opportunity. I am pleased he landed for my team in the 11th. A good value pick

this late for a required position. Thanks Bomb.