Sign in to follow this  
football_scooter

On the Clock!

On the Clock!  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Which one, and Why?

• Gotta go with Heap - the guy is underrated and in the 2nd year with Mason/McNair he's a PPR beast
    • Jeremy Shockey is my guy - Eli's gonna turn it around and Shockey will stay healthy enough to be dominant.
    • The Soljah! Gotta go with Edwards. A young QB's best friend is his TE.
    • Other (gimme a WR here - I already missed the boat on TEs. I'll settle for a Scaif or Watson late)

12 team league

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 D/ST, 1 K

.1/1 Ru/ReYd, .1/.20 PaYd, PPR, all TDs = 6

Your team:

1.07 - Brian Westbrook

2.06 - Thomas Jones

3.07 - Anquan Boldin

4.06 - Marques Colston

5.07 - Marion Barber III

6.06 - ?

Because you landed Westy in the 1st you opted to go stud RB, just in case Westbrook gets dinged up. Slight reach on TJ, but your other options of McGahee, JLewis and MJD didn't seem as reliable. A run on TEs started 4 picks ago, with TGonz, VDavis, Alge Crumpler and Chris Cooley going all in a row. No one behind you has a TE yet, and having landed a reliable RB3 in MBIII and 2 good WRs it seems to be time. Especially since a couple of the ones taken were behind the ones left on your board.

TE special folks....which one here and why? Or do you pass and take a WR3 (will be listed as other, but = one of this group: Braylon Edwards, Darrell Jackson, Chris Chambers)

Your call, your responsibility to defend your selection, you're on the clock! :banana:

***Edit: In the poll, instead of Winslow, I accidentally wrote "Edwards" (similar ADP, actually) - my bad, poll rooned. Please keep this in mind when voting. A vote for Edwards is a vote for Winslow.*** :banana:

:banana:

You can get similar value as Heap in somone like LJ Smith in the 10th. Dont waist a pick here on a TE. Go with value in J. Jones, C. Taylor or Brandon Jackson as a RB4 for depth or another WR in Braylon Edwards or Chambers if you have faith in a rebound. With no flex this pick may be ripe for a QB if you can land Kitna or Hasslebeck, though again I would probably grab value in a RB4 here.

BTW if you have 1.07 in a 12 team, how do you have 2.05? Did you mean 2.06, 4.06, and 6.06? Just wondering :banana:

Yeah, in all the mocks I've done, I haven't noticed TEs going this early...Winslow in the 7th perhaps, and he's one of the first TEs off the board after Gates. Hard to imagine a round 6 run on TEs...hey, it could happen. Still think I'd hold off - and do as you suggested, settle for someone in the 9th or 10th.

Since you did not list a TE as being mandatory to start. I picked WR. Better value here at WR with the WR listed than TE.

without manditory TE's it doesn't matter Considring your wr options I'd probably take a TE anyway if TE's are required they don't make it to the middle of the 7th round except for maybe L.J. smith who you can usually get in the 8-9-10th depending on your read of other players. Your best bet for WR is Edwards. For TE required your better off gambling that one of those so-s0 wr's are there then grabbing Crotchery or Clayton if your lucky.

A run on TEs started 4 picks ago, with TGonz, VDavis, Alge Crumpler and Chris Cooley going all in a row. No one behind you has a TE yet,

So does that mean Antonio Gates is still on the board? :thumbsdown:

Assuming he's not, I would hold tight and take Darrell Jackson here, and get a value TE a few rounds later (like L.J. Smith, Eric Johnson, etc.). There's too many solid TE's this year to waste a 6th rounder here.

Gotta go KWII. He led TE's last year in rec. with like 89? Plus the TE is a QB's security blanket. Who knows who the QB will be in Cle. so I'd go KWII.

GIVE ME KWIII!!! especially so since it's PPR!

Last season he put up rec/yd'age numbers similar to AGates, but w/o the TD numbers.

This year, as long as he's healthy (and he has shown that he'll play w/ pain and minor injuries) I see no reason why he won't at least meet his numbers from last season, and possibly add some more TDs to push him into the clear-cut #2 TE position.

And w/ those numbers, he's better than most #2 WRs.

I don't care who the QB is, cause they all are going to have to rely on the Soldjah as their best WR option simply cause Edwards will be seeing opposing teams' #1 CBs, and KWIII will either be mismatched against an LB, or a smaller DB.

No brainer for me this year.

I won't touch Winslow, and I have Shockey and Heap about even with Shockey holding the TD edge. I would likely wait 2 rounds for Cooley then scoop up Scaife in round 11.

I like all three of those guys but honestly, I don't even start looking at aTE until round 9. In fact, last year drafted Ben Watson in round 10.

BTW if you have 1.07 in a 12 team, how do you have 2.05? Did you mean 2.06, 4.06, and 6.06? Just wondering :headbanger:

fixed, and ty. Was a bit late when I posted. :doh:

So does that mean Antonio Gates is still on the board? :huh:

In a PPR you really think he'd last past the 3rd round? ADP based on Antsports. Gates is long gone. As mentioned, a couple of the TEs were "reach" picks in Crumpler & Cooley.

Yeah, in all the mocks I've done, I haven't noticed TEs going this early...Winslow in the 7th perhaps, and he's one of the first TEs off the board after Gates. Hard to imagine a round 6 run on TEs...hey, it could happen. Still think I'd hold off - and do as you suggested, settle for someone in the 9th or 10th.

It's a PPR league, and really that's part of the exercise. Runs happen in every league I've ever drafted - TE run in the 6th is just as common as a QB run in the 5th, 6th, etc.

Do you get caught in the run or ignore it. If the former, which one do you take? If the latter, that's why another option was provided with 3 WRs who's ADP is similar to these 3 TEs.

I won't touch Winslow, and I have Shockey and Heap about even with Shockey holding the TD edge. I would likely wait 2 rounds for Cooley then scoop up Scaife in round 11.

Cooley was taken. Check the scenario. :lol:

without manditory TE's it doesn't matter

my bad Kitsnow - TE is required. I originally had a FL, but changed my mind. Somehow when I deleted that, I also axed TE from the roster requirements. Oops. :doh: again.

Am I misreading the poll?

The third option says Edwards, then mentions TE. I'm assuming that should be KW III?

I'd vote for WR here, so that's what I'm choosing, but I'd specifically want Edwards from that list.

The third option says Edwards, then mentions TE. I'm assuming that should be KW III?

Wow - I am nevah writing one of these at midnight again. :headbanger:

Yes, that is the Soldjah! KW, not Edwards.

Unfortunately no way to edit polls either. :lol:

Wow - I am nevah writing one of these at midnight again. :thumbsup:

Yes, that is the Soldjah! KW, not Edwards.

Unfortunately no way to edit polls either. :P

you gotta stop smoking up first thing in the morning...

I'd vote for WR here, so that's what I'm choosing, but I'd specifically want Edwards from that list.

Funny thing is, I probably would strongly consider Braylon Edwards in that spot anyway.

Isn't the Souljah coming off of micro-fracture surgery. that's serious stuff.

count me in with the group that waits until late for my TE. I'm hoping to get a nice Eric Johnson/Greg Olsen combo at TE.

you gotta stop smoking up first thing in the morning...

You know, I was stone cold sober when I posted this last night. :thumbsup:

Worst OTC evah. :P

Towlie, you're the worst character ever....

I can't remember who posted it, but I remember the words: "start the run, don't follow the run". While that is not the deciding factor, I'm keeping it in mind here. I'm pretty big on Braylon Edwards this year and as many have pointed out, the TE can wait. I'll take Edwards with the thought that by the end of the year, he and Colston will be my two starters.

In my ppr league, the point difference between the #1 TE and #12 TE was about 74 points, so it seems justified to take a TE somewhat early. Winslow finished 3rd in my league behind Gates and Gonzo, and that was with a pathetic 3 TDs.

Assuming Winslow is healthy and playing by the end of pre-season, I'll gladly take him the 6th round (after Gates and Gonzo are gone) and expect around 85 rec, 850 yards, and 5 TDs or more.

If you want to go with the not following the run approach, Wr is not hte way to go. If you plan to wait on TE's I believe there are plenty of serviceable WR-3 with cotchery, jennings, Barrian all falling to the 7ths.

(Note: this league only starts 2)

If it's 6 points for passing td's you can go Kitna, and begin the post mcnabb run on QB's Or you can just go for the reach and wait for cutler or rothlessberger much later and Go ahead and grab Baltimore or if you prefer Chicago defense. I'd go with Baltimore. Either one tends to guarentee the next one will get taken in the next 5 picks.

In my ppr league, the point difference between the #1 TE and #12 TE was about 74 points, so it seems justified to take a TE somewhat early. Winslow finished 3rd in my league behind Gates and Gonzo, and that was with a pathetic 3 TDs.

Assuming Winslow is healthy and playing by the end of pre-season, I'll gladly take him the 6th round (after Gates and Gonzo are gone) and expect around 85 rec, 850 yards, and 5 TDs or more.

a solid point, and something I'm a bit surprised that others haven't mentioned.

Also relevant to this scenario is that this league only starts 2 WRs. So if you skip the TE, you're taking a backup WR here.

food for thought.

The only TE I'll take before round 7 is Gates, he will put up WR2-type numbers as long as he is the main receiving threat in SD. Otherwise, I'll wait for Cooley or VDavis to drop, or take super-sleeper Randy McMichael (love him in STL) late.

The only TE I'll take before round 7 is Gates, he will put up WR2-type numbers as long as he is the main receiving threat in SD. Otherwise, I'll wait for Cooley or VDavis to drop, or take super-sleeper Randy McMichael (love him in STL) late.

Once again: read the scenario. Both Vdavis & Cooley went in the 4 picks before yours. So waiting for them isn't a great idea. :dunno:

I'd go heap there, but would like to know the QB situaiton. Marginal value there at TE isn't that great.

I went with Shockey. I absolutely love the fire he plays with. The guy is a fierce competitor and strives to be awesome. 66 receptions and 7 td's. If it was up to him, he would want every ball then smash the defenders into the ground. He's just a guy I like to watch on the highlight reel. <_<

Winslow - 89 receptions 875 yards and 3 td's - - are you kidding me with 89 receptions. This too is so awesome, he should be #1 TE in the league. I don't understand where the td's went/are. OH yea, this team doesn't score too many is the only problem. You going with Frye or Quinn as your qb? Yes he'll be a great target, but td's count for me. He's out on this choice of three

Heap - 73 receptions 765 and 6 td's - - this too is very solid. He seems so huge compared to all the db's, safeties, and even LB's covering him on the field. I can picture him sticking his arse out in the end zone - shielding- kind of like a basketball player would do. He's not pretty, flashy, or dynamic, but he does a very solid job. What else could you ask for?

I honestly would be happy with any of these guys as my te. It's that sixth round thing that is bothering me.

I'm still going with Shockey 1, followed closely by Winslow, and then closely by Heap

Very good scenario Scooter :headbanger:

Once again: read the scenario. Both Vdavis & Cooley went in the 4 picks before yours. So waiting for them isn't a great idea. :headbanger:

There just isn't value here at the position, IMO. And I don't think in most real drafts Cooley and VDavis will go ahead of these guys.

Gotta go KWII. He led TE's last year in rec. with like 89? Plus the TE is a QB's security blanket. Who knows who the QB will be in Cle. so I'd go KWII.

Spot on. :headbanger: Wide Receiver may be an option at this spot, but Kellen Winslow, Jr. is currently the most underrated TE in the draft. Every excuse in the world is made for him doing not so well, but the fact that he was exceptional last year with those same existing arguments seems to be overlooked.

Now you may be able to make the argument that he will slide another round in this scenario, but in that case, I think you better be a good judge of who you're drafting against.

I'll make my first bold (well, semi-bold) statement of the month. :banana: Kellen Winslow II will be the best value pick at the TE position in this year's draft.

Is Kitna still available? Thats a pretty good spot to grab him if hes still there. Not crazy about the WR options you listed, but I do think Edwards makes a great #3. If youre really wanting a TE, Id go with Shockey. I just think that without Barber, Manning may be looking Shockeys way a little more in the short passing game